MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   MechMates already cutting (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Man I'm having fun with this machine #101 - St. Louis Mo. (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3124)

darren salyer Wed 08 April 2015 09:11

For 4k, yes. I figured it should have a little more rigidity. The homemade machine I mention at the start of my build thread is more rigid than it was.

Tom Ayres Wed 08 April 2015 10:13

Disappointing...

sailfl Wed 08 April 2015 12:35

They are filling a need for people that want to get into CNC. It is only after they start cutting do they find out that rigidity is important for a quality cut.

pblackburn Wed 08 April 2015 18:04

And most people would not take on the task of building something as buying is easier so for them, it is good enough.

darren salyer Thu 09 April 2015 11:27

I get all that guys. I expected it to flex, I was just surprised by how much it flexed.

Alan_c Thu 09 April 2015 13:15

We're just spoiled with our super rigid affordable home built machines...;) :p

darren salyer Thu 09 April 2015 16:13

Amen brother.
BTW, just made a FB connection with a guy with a plasma cutter...cutting him out a sub plaque for one of his designs...it appears we may be able to swap some work out with each other...
I can design, send him the file, he'll cut out, I pick up...almost as good as my own plasma cutter.

darren salyer Sat 02 May 2015 20:43

Well, I spent a little time finalizing the Super PID I started installing many months ago. (I'm afraid to go back and look) Why I didn't do it sooner was the question of the day. Man, its nice.
Also with a little Font help from AlanC, ( Thanks again, Alan!!)
I cut out a few 18" tall 1/2 BB Monograms with an 1/8" down spiral bit. Worked much easier turning the RPM down, and making chips instead of dust.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...psyhlxlkzy.jpg

pblackburn Sat 02 May 2015 21:48

Nice

Alan_c Sun 03 May 2015 02:41

Looks cool! super smooth curves :)

Fox Sun 03 May 2015 06:46

Actually the curves are not that smooth, but I think that's because of the vector file ;)

darren salyer Sun 03 May 2015 07:12

Thanks Pete and Alan.

darren salyer Sun 03 May 2015 07:38

Fox, here's what the Font looked like, not cleaned up. It was originally drawn for small embroidered Monograms, and got pretty fuzzy blown up to 18" tall.
Alan and I spent some time cleaning it up, and while not perfect, it looks way better than the ones sold locally. Of course the true result is that I sold 5 more of that 1 picture.
I'm assuming your critique was constructive and not meant as a dig....

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...psq6wkszkr.jpg

racedirector Mon 04 May 2015 01:48

Darren, I like that, looks great. Gotta try one of those soon. From what I understand you can get the raw fonts which scale better....

Fox Mon 04 May 2015 07:42

Hi Darren,

your assumption was correct, not dissing you at all... just my eye for detail saw the vectors are not smooth. Yours is much better then the original though, which is really bad !

I used to work a lot with vectors, hence I noticed the curves have more control points or kinks then they need, and some section are 'straight' or independent curves... where they should all be part of one continuous curve. Usually this happens when pixels are converted bymeans of software to vector art, you end up with super messy vector files, which take a lot of effort to clean up to decent files. Think of 10.000 control points in files before where you would actually need 200 or so when you would trace it manually.

KenC Mon 04 May 2015 21:25

Try G64

darren salyer Tue 05 May 2015 06:07

? Ken?

Gerald D Tue 05 May 2015 09:28

G64 in G-Code is constant velocity mode

frankie_papo Tue 05 May 2015 11:18

hi all i'm new here but what i'm seeing is truly inspirational... i'
m itching to start building my own

darren salyer Tue 05 May 2015 11:29

Welcome Frankie. Have a look at the "introduce yourself" section and tell us a little more about yourself. Great bunch of guys here.

darren salyer Tue 05 May 2015 11:30

I have constant velocity checked in the general config of Mach3, but don't see G64 in any of my code.

pblackburn Tue 05 May 2015 19:00

You could edit and save it as a scalable vector to keep uniformity.

Fox Wed 06 May 2015 13:50

Vectors are always scalable!? That's why we use Vectors instead of pixels. His drawing will look the same big or small.
I think Ken means your paths blend with g64 sacrificing tight path over speed.

pblackburn Wed 06 May 2015 15:05

I was referring to saving as an .svg such as using Inkscape. Not knowing the interface he is using I will always be vague. Aspire is not always the best for everything.

darren salyer Wed 06 May 2015 15:16

OR.... I could quit chasing little bumps most normal people without this sickness will never notice, and keep selling them..:)

pblackburn Wed 06 May 2015 16:01

Yes. That is true also. But I know you strive for greatness. ;)

Alan_c Thu 07 May 2015 00:23

The font was typed in Adobe Illustrator, converted to curves (all vectors with bezier curves so not hundreds of short straight lines) then exported to Aspire. It can be re-sized to any size and will stay exactly the same.

The problematic issue is that the original font is not a very good one as far as edge refinement goes, it was designed to be used at a small point size so when enlarged to this size anomalies show up - yes they can be fixed...but they are not so bad and most "normal" clients wont notice it, unless you point it out to them of course :)

so keep cutting and ca-ching ca-ching - the one sound I like more than the sound of my router working. ;)

pblackburn Thu 07 May 2015 08:31

Alan, we know you all did a lot of work. Sometimes it is easy to miss something. You are right about most people not noticing. They are better than anything you will find in a craft store for sure. I believe that Darren likes to stand apart from the competition. I think that is why it was brought up as an observation and not a criticism. Heck, when it was posted, the first thing I did was bore my wife with having to come to the computer so I could show off his work again. I hope that explains where I was coming from.

darren salyer Thu 07 May 2015 13:46

I can't speak for Alan, but I'll say I didn't think you were being critical. I think everyone here obsesses with perfection, why else build a machine that works to such close tolerances.
My comment about just getting on with the cutting merely meant that I needed to quit obsessing over chasing what most will never notice or appreciate.
I do appreciate the compliment about my work. In my opinion, everyone here pushes everyone else to a higher level of quality, just by the culture Gerald has established, and Mike is continuing.

Alan_c Thu 07 May 2015 16:43

Ditto :)