MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   MechMates already cutting (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Man I'm having fun with this machine #101 - St. Louis Mo. (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3124)

Robert M Sat 02 November 2013 08:15

Tks.... ;)

pblackburn Sat 02 November 2013 10:08

Which 3d CNC package did you get? I looked at many of them but was unsure of the quality of product.

darren salyer Sat 02 November 2013 16:12

I'm using Vectric Aspire v4.0.

pblackburn Sat 02 November 2013 16:14

I knew you had Vectric. I have seen that 3D puzzle before in different sets. Did not know if you purchased a set of dxf files or if you drew it yourself?

darren salyer Sat 02 November 2013 16:19

Ahhh.
I bought the file from MakeCNC.com. For $4.50 I figured it was a good one to try.
It includes files for 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" ply. I'm happy with it.

pblackburn Sat 02 November 2013 16:23

I looked there before at their volume sets for making 3D puzzles for the kids. I will most likely make the move now. Did not know anyone who made them. Some shady websites out there. Thanks for the info.

darren salyer Sat 02 November 2013 16:26

I had the same thought. That's why I tried just one at first.

pblackburn Thu 07 November 2013 15:54

So I got a couple volumes. I hope to cut some of them when I am on vacation in a couple of weeks.

darren salyer Thu 07 November 2013 19:59

Be sure to share pics....

pblackburn Fri 08 November 2013 14:09

Always

Kornerking Tue 19 November 2013 19:06

So Darren. Read yer whole thread. Awesome work.

Couple of questions. How many hours do you think you had in this build? Just curious for what kind of time to allow. With a full court press what could start to run be?

Did you fabricate most of your components? If so, what level of equipment was needed?

And the biggie: what was your investment for this new employee?

Also, how do I get going?

Is the main difference in cost on a larger machine mainly the cost of the steel?

darren salyer Tue 19 November 2013 19:16

I'll get to you in a minute, Pete...lol

Here is a pic of a cradle I cut out using the SB "cradles for charity" as a start.
Changed it up a bit to simplify it, and cut enough parts out of scrap 1/2" BB plywood to build 10 cradles.
The local 4-H club, which our kids belonged to when they were younger, are coming on Saturday to assemble and paint, and the Sewing Leader is working on blankets and dolls.
The club will then donate them to an organization who will see that a very deserving little girl has one this Christmas.
10 this year...... planning to save the BB scraps and at least triple this for next year...
Makes this old coot feel pretty good.
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...psca442ca2.jpg

sierra347 Tue 19 November 2013 19:22

That's pretty cool

darren salyer Tue 19 November 2013 19:39

Thanks, Armando.
Pete, I had to go back to page 5 for a link to the build log....5.4 months, from actual start to making sawdust.
I think I could have easily cut that in half if I had had the finances to order all the parts at once. My biggest fan now that its cutting (my wife) was my biggest critic when I was burning up the CC every month.... I hope she doesn't sell it for what she THINKS it cost...lol

I stick welded the main frame and Mig welded the y-car and gantry. If you can do that stuff, everything else is simple tools. No real fab work on my part outside of grinding V rails.

With the vacuum table, my 5x12 was right at $6k, but I did some judicious buying, finding my main beams on CL for 50 bucks, etc.
Budget 7.5k and you'll be golden.

To get started, hmmm, decide if you can wait 3 months to quadruple your production.
if so, get the plans from Mike, read a lot, ask informed questions when you can't wrap your mind around something, agree with me that 5x12 is the machine size you need, and just GET STARTED.....
If you read my whole build thread, you've seen just how much I didn't know when I started. We were all there. And we are all here when you need us, too.

EDIT: only major cost difference in a bigger machine that I can think of is steel. Little more wire, little more cable chain, etc, but same electronics and motors.

DO IT MAN!!!

(every one else:... I know Pete and his business pretty well, he is a great guy, and has a business that screams for a CNC machine....(subliminally 5x12)

darren salyer Tue 19 November 2013 19:41

And hey, Pete, take a weekend and come visit, I'll give you the tour, even though I know you are CNC-savvy.
Goes for anyone else here, too.

lonestaral Tue 19 November 2013 23:00

Thanks for the invitation.
I would love to visit but time, distance and lack of funds rule it out.:o
Keep doing the lottery.

racedirector Tue 19 November 2013 23:04

Would love to be able to visit a working MM, alas none (that I know of) close to me. Guess I'll have to wait until mine is running then I can go visit it :)

Great job Darren, I am sure the kids will be overjoyed by the cradles, awesome donation, well done.

Kornerking Wed 20 November 2013 03:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren salyer View Post
And hey, Pete, take a weekend and come visit, I'll give you the tour, even though I know you are CNC-savvy.
Goes for anyone else here, too.
Well... my Daughter is in Nashville .... Wentzville would be just a small detour and the checkbook would be with me so she could be educated (actually she is liking the concept)... My 92 Lincoln is needing a trip to wear out some of the carbon. Only 81,000 0n it so this might help.

Now back to hours. Actual man hours to build.. not counting research and head scratching... any concept? 200.. 300.. 600?

darren salyer Wed 20 November 2013 15:33

Let's say between 2 and 300

darren salyer Wed 27 November 2013 06:16

And a finished product, all ready for a little girls playtime.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...psdc7f71a6.jpg

pblackburn Wed 27 November 2013 09:16

I do envy most members creativity with the stuff made. I wish I had half the wood working ability you all have. Simple yet effective designs and practices. Very nice Darren. As allows I enjoy following your thread.

pblackburn Sun 08 December 2013 10:56

Now I help you move your 4th axis question to here. :D

JamesJ Sun 08 December 2013 13:21

Darren
I like the T-re al ot, I intend to cut one as soon as I am done with Christmas presents. Did you draw the T-Rex or use a file from the net? If from the net would you mind sharing the source?

Thanks

pblackburn Sun 08 December 2013 15:32

Jim,

Refer to post 395

darren salyer Sun 08 December 2013 18:21

Thanks, Pete.

alriadi Mon 09 December 2013 04:22

great work

darren salyer Wed 25 December 2013 11:03

I had a Facebook friend who messaged me asking if I could cut out 3 letters for her.
Here is how she used them...

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...ps846575bc.jpg

IMMark Wed 25 December 2013 12:47

That picture is backwards...assuming it is for someone named Leon?
:D
Best wishes for the holidays to everyone!
Mark

1planeguy Sun 12 January 2014 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren salyer View Post
I got a windfall in the form of about 1500 lbs. of Corian scrap from my countertop supplier, and I cut a few of these out and took them to the County Fair.
Sized to hold six 16 oz. Beer cups, I'm still getting calls from people who would like one.....
To date, I've sold 38 at 25 bucks a pop.
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5c2eb9b5.jpg
Darren, I sadly have to admit...I don't get how this is used. I get that it has 6 sockets to hold 6 cups...is it just a tote to get from the bar to the table kinda thing?

darren salyer Sun 12 January 2014 14:50

Exactly. Lay it flat on the bar, put a cup in each opening, pick up the holder, and carry all 6 cups back to your group.