MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   701. Motor Drives (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   dual motor on Y axis wiring ? (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3994)

shikha829 Tue 22 January 2013 22:44

dual motor on Y axis wiring ?

Hi,

I had 8-4 build,
since Y axis is longer decided to use two motor on it.

I had DSP control system from older machine, which has 3 axis control.
my question is how do i connect two motor on Y axis ( since controller has 3 axis only ).

my friend suggest me from Y axis pins ( pulse + dir ).
connect two drive for Y axis and then two motor to it.

is it right way to do so ? if anybody can help me then i dont need to spend extra on new controller. wiring diagram is helpful.

Rgds
Shikha

KenC Wed 23 January 2013 04:29

Theoritically, if your driver can supply enough current for 2 motors you should be all right. BUT IMHO, saving a driver is false economy.

smreish Wed 23 January 2013 04:34

Yes,
I have done this many times in the past, but only when the output of the Computer break out board allows it. Fortunately, the PMDX-122 is rated to do this, many others are not.

For machines # 5 and #28 this is exactly what is done so I can use the other "saved" output for a 4th axis on the pMDX 122

shikha829 Thu 24 January 2013 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
Theoritically, if your driver can supply enough current for 2 motors you should be all right. BUT IMHO, saving a driver is false economy.
Hi KenC,, i am not connecting two motor to single drive,... i am connecting two drive to breakout board's Y pins. And then connecting one motor per drive.
This way i am splitting the input ( pulse + directional ) signal to two drive and that drives connect to their individual motors.

There is 1 foot distance between the breakout board and two drive... so my worry is since pin output is 5 Volt for ( pul + Dir ), is it fine to split this 5 volt to two drive.

Rgds
Shikha

shikha829 Thu 24 January 2013 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
Yes,
I have done this many times in the past, but only when the output of the Computer break out board allows it. Fortunately, the PMDX-122 is rated to do this, many others are not.

For machines # 5 and #28 this is exactly what is done so I can use the other "saved" output for a 4th axis on the pMDX 122
Hi, smreish,
Thanks for reply.
according to my knowledge two way to run dual motor.
1) slave axis output in software like mach etc... or
2) breakout board has setting or jumper to connect two axis.

i am using handheld dsp controller, which is 3 axis and has connection for 3 axis on breakout board. and i am in financial crunch.

so i am thinking about connecting the two drive to Y axis pin.

Have you ever tried like this.

Rgds
Shikha

KenC Thu 24 January 2013 22:18

yes, you can connect 2 drivers to a single I/O set, (some call it connect 2 drivers in parallel). AS LONG AS the i/o port has enough juice to drive them. To find out the this, you can call up the DSP supplier ot read their datasheet. We can't answer that without information.
AND THAN you wire your motor wire (stepper to Driver) to ensure the 2 drivers always turns in the opposite directions.

smreish Fri 25 January 2013 06:37

Shikha,
Yes, you understand correctly - 2 drives to one output step/dir signal.

Thus
Output 1 - x' and x
Output 2 - y
Output 3 - z

shikha829 Sun 27 January 2013 21:57

Thanks guys,

I will try this and post my findings very soon.

javeria Mon 28 January 2013 20:07

Sean had earlier posted a buffer circuit on the forum search for it, uses a 74LS245 as a buffer - try that