MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   Motors & their mountings (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How many motors use mechmate in the long axis (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2476)

albertoslayer Tue 19 January 2010 03:10

How many motors use mechmate in the long axis

Hi, I'm gonna build a mechmate and I want to know how many motors use mm in the long axis, 1 o 2?, Right now I have 3 740 OZin Stepper motors, thank you for the help and sorry for my bad English

Alberto

Gerald D Tue 19 January 2010 03:17

2 motors on long axis. You need 4 motors total.

Besser Mon 01 March 2010 22:39

Well it depends on which is the long axis. Commonly 2 but if your Y is longer then your X (mine is) then the answer is 1.

Alberto, those sound like powerful motors for a MM.

isladelobos Tue 02 March 2010 00:07

1 Attachment(s)
Well, this is because it applies creative engineering, but you can see the design of the PlasmaCam has done it with one motor Link

One tube inner the granty and a big motor is the secret.

Attachment 8740

albertoslayer Tue 02 March 2010 00:48

Hi

So, do you think that 2 stepper motors of 740 oz-in are to big for my long axis??, I have 4 stepper motors of 740 oz-in, what do you thing about my motors??, sorry for the english jaja
Kind Regards

Alberto

Richards Tue 02 March 2010 04:39

Alberto, do you have any of the electrical data for the motors. We can help you better if we know exactly what you have. Normally, a 740 oz*in motor should work fine. It is probably very similar in size and capability to the Oriental Motor PK299 motors that I've tested.

albertoslayer Tue 02 March 2010 13:48

Hi Richard

the motors are RHT34-740 from http://www.homeshopcnc.com/RHTstepperMotors2.html

The data information that I have is:

Motors are 4 Lead parallel configured, 2 phase, 1.8 degree step angle

HOLDING TORQUE Nm 5.2 (740 oz-in)
Rated Voltaje 2.0
Rated current per phase (amps DC) 6.0
Resistance 0.33
INDUCTION mH 2.7
Rotor Inertia g-cm2 1400

I hope that you can help me with this information, thank you!

Kind Regards

Alberto

Gerald D Tue 02 March 2010 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertoslayer View Post
. . . . .Right now I have 3 740 OZin Stepper motors . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besser View Post
those sound like powerful motors for a MM.
Besser read 3740 oz.in per motor, instead of 3 motors at 740 oz.in each.

Looking at the homeshopcnc link, the motors are 78mm long and weigh 2.3 kg. That immediately suggests single stack, and a rotor inertia of 1400 g.cm^2 confirms it. (equivalent Oriental Motor is the PK296 series). It is highly unlikely that the 740 oz.in is possible from these motors on a permanent basis without damaging them. These motors will not be suitable as direct-drive motors for the MM, but with 3:1 belt reductions, you could be okay.

albertoslayer Tue 02 March 2010 20:27

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for your quick response, I donīt speak English very good.. sorry XD, single stack is a bad thing?, I donīt understand this:

"It is highly unlikely that the 740 oz.in is possible from these motors on a permanent basis without damaging them"

Could you explain me this with single words jaja, I understand that I need a 3:1 belt reduction system but I donīt understand why

and I have one question jaja, my MM with that motors and the 3:1 belt reduction gonna works fine and fast or it gonna be slow???

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Alberto

albertoslayer Tue 02 March 2010 20:31

Sorry Gerald I donīt ask you one thing..

Can I use the RHT34-740 Oz-in on direct drive with a ballscrew?, because my Z axis gonna be with ballscrew.. or I need belt reduction in the Z Axis too?

Thank you

Gerald D Wed 03 March 2010 00:22

Alberto, I have no experience with those motors, and I have no direct experience with ballscrew drives on router tables, so I can not answer all your questions.

Simple language:

I do not believe the specification of 740 oz.in that is given by the supplier. I think it is a lot less. (maybe 500 oz.in max?)

If you fit a pinion gear direct to that motor, and run it direct on the rack, then the performance will be bad.

If you use belt-drives with that motor, I think you will be okay. I never make promises of speeds.

rick748 Tue 09 March 2010 10:44

2 motors on X axis

I know ive read somewhere regarding keeping the 2 steppers working together on the x axis but cant find it anymore...can someone please point me in the right direction.

thanks