MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   MechMates already cutting (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   First Cuts #108 - Willemstad,Netherlands (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3761)

parrulho Sun 04 August 2013 09:33

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for all recommendations and nice words. Still have a lot to learn. Already did some mistakes but is from mistakes you learn more... here is one of the first mistakes... I mean: cuts :)

Video link: http://db.tt/HzoaHUGX

HomeMadeCnc Wed 07 August 2013 10:06

Don't forget www.thermwood.com ecabinet systems.

digger Fri 09 August 2013 17:52

Tim
How you can use ecabinet with mach3?

Milosh

hevertg Wed 28 August 2013 23:02

As meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrulho View Post
Got it from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Cable-drag...item3a5e71bd8b

received a different cable chain but I did not complain because I liked it...

Quality is good but he asks $30 extra for shipping...
As meters of chain I need for my mechmate? is 3000 * 2200 mm

parrulho Sun 01 September 2013 09:12

First upgrade on my machine: a new power supply. went from 48V to 73V measured. Now it can moves on max velocity without losing steps but to be honest I don't "feel" more torque. I still can move the gantry pushing it a bit hard. Well it should be normal... Have cut some complete 4x8 board, ply and MDF and small jobs and I'm very happy with the quality. still waiting to get more mill bits. In Curacao it is difficult to find and very expensive. Then I needed to stop. A LOT OF SAWDUST!!! :) Have installed a small shopvac and it is helping. still busy experimenting with different dust shoes. I'm using 40mm pipe and it's works for now. Will post some pics later.

HomeMadeCnc Sun 01 September 2013 09:25

Hi Milosh, you export your job from ecabnets in dxf . I use aspire to convert the dxf drawings to gcode.

Cheers All!

timberlinemd Mon 02 September 2013 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeMadeCnc View Post
Hi Milosh, you export your job from ecabnets in dxf . I use aspire to convert the dxf drawings to gcode.

Cheers All!
There is no export ability to dxf in eCab???

parrulho Tue 03 September 2013 17:45

Just to report that I have changed limit resistors on geckos from 12.8K (calculated by formula) to 20K. that way I have more holding torque. Had some problems on Z, I'm using a lighter router Kress 800W, temporary, and the gas strut is pushing it up hard, it's is 30lb, for a spindle. Sometimes when I'm changing tools I lose Z zero. During the cut, no problems. let see if the motors do not get too hot...

hevertg Tue 03 September 2013 22:11

Bits

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...t-overheating/
Want to prevent those annoying burn marks that leave your routed edges black and your face red? Keep cool by putting the following tips to work.

Keep it clean
Ideally, you should wipe your bits clean after each use. Most of us, though, just drop them back in their holders and walk away. Unfortunately, resins and dust build up that cause bits to get hotter faster, making them more likely to burn the wood. If your bits are covered with sawdust, wipe them with a dry cloth. Remove the stubborn build-up with a blade-and-bit cleaner. The benefit: Clean bits stay sharp longer because excessive heat breaks down carbide cutters.

Stay sharp

A dull bit cuts poorly and builds up heat doing so. If you can run the cutter over your fingernail without shearing off ashaving, then your bit needs sharpening.
To freshen up router bit cutting edges with diamond lapping stones, hone only the flat surfaces. Count your strokes to make sure you remove the same amount of material from each cutter to keep the bit balanced. It only takes a half-dozen or so strokes with each stone. If that doesn't restore cutting ability, have the bit sharpened by a pro or replace it.

Set speed limits

Router bits spin up to 24,000 revolutions per minute (rpm). And most bits have two cutters, so they take up to 48,000 bites every minute. Think of it that way and you see why bits and wood heat up in a hurry. To keep things cool, set your router speed according to the chart, below right. If your router doesn't have variable speed, you can get a plug-in controller for less than $25. (Check your local retailer or contact MLCS at 800/533-9298; mlcswoodworking.com.)You can keep heat in check too by controlling how fast you feed the bit into the workpiece. A slow feed rate generates more heat. Use a fast and consistent feed rate to keep the bit and wood cool.

Watch your woods

Some woods, such as oak, don't easily burn. Maple and cherry burn notoriously because of their density and the oils and extractives they contain. Among softwoods, pine can be troublesome in areas that contain pitch pockets. With these species, slow the router and increase feed rate to minimize burning.

Take it one step at a time

Powerful routers and sharp carbide-tipped bits are capable of hogging out large cuts in even the hardest of woods. But doing so stresses the bit, causes tear-out, and leads to burning. When removing more than 1/4" of material, make multiple shallow passes.

parrulho Fri 06 September 2013 00:34

Thank you for advices and title, my machine deserves a number :)

timberlinemd Fri 06 September 2013 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrulho View Post
Thank you for advices and title, my machine deserves a number :)
Yes it does. Where is Metal Head?

parrulho Sat 07 September 2013 11:44

Still limit resistors on Geckos:

using 20 KΩ instead of 12.8 KΩ calculated by formula - Motors are always hot, cutting or idle is the same, you can let your hand over it for long time but too hot for my peace of mind... My decision is to change back resistors on drivers running X and Y to 12.8 KΩ and 18 KΩ on Z temporary...

Let's see.

MetalHead Mon 09 September 2013 10:29

I have been MIA for a few days.

Congrats and you get #108

parrulho Mon 09 September 2013 10:43

Thank you Mike.:)

darren salyer Mon 09 September 2013 20:13

Great job!!!

Andrew_standen Tue 10 September 2013 03:56

Congratulations number 108 from number 109

parrulho Tue 10 September 2013 21:34

thanks 109 :) same for you. hey, I like a lot your kayak, I m thinking to build one for myself.

KenC Wed 11 September 2013 00:57

Me likey kayak. :D

Andrew_standen Wed 11 September 2013 02:32

Kayak was built from plans see Redfish kayaks, "return" model.
Took about 300 hours to complete. total cost about 625 uk pounds. including cost of the plans.
Weight 22kgs length 5.8mtrs .. and it was fast on the water.

jhiggins7 Wed 11 September 2013 07:33

Updated Builder's Log

Paulo,

Congratulations on your MechMate and earning Serial Number 108.

Here's the Updated Builder's Log with your entry added.

Sorry to be tardy, but I was on a Cruise in your beautiful Caribbean.

parrulho Tue 17 September 2013 23:04

5 Attachment(s)
Thank you John, did you stopped in Curacao?

Upgraded Power Supply, small dust extractor installed, first time spoil-board surfaced and more important, first paid jobs :) It's a good start and I'm very proud of my machine.

Dust foot works very well is from: http://solsylva.com/cnc/vacuum.shtml

Dust separator also works 100%, from: http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm

KenC Wed 18 September 2013 00:48

Congrats on the 1st paid job! Wishing you more to come!

If you are serious about real production, do keep a few spare buckets for your Thien. I have0 2 huge barrels, each will last 4~6 hours of wood chip/dust.

parrulho Wed 30 October 2013 19:32

3kw spindle

1 Attachment(s)
Time for very welcome upgrade, from 800w router to 3kw chinese spindle :) Still busy mounting it. VFD is a Mitsubishi FR-D720-165-NA. I plan to use Modbus on Mach3.

pblackburn Sat 02 November 2013 19:14

Modbus is the way I did it. Was not to bad to set up. Plenty of examples here and at MachSupport forum.

parrulho Sun 01 December 2013 14:40

I'm been busy outside of mechmate project... My new spindle is working very well, but using manual start, stop. Could not get any comms between VFD and my PC using the RS232/485 converter. Need more time testing and change different combinations of wires. Not sure about pinout at vfd or converter.

here is a video of my machine carving a maya calendar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJwxNlgnH3s

Tom Ayres Sun 01 December 2013 15:27

That's cool. What material are you cutting? looks like foam.

sierra347 Sun 01 December 2013 18:08

Nice calendar Paulo, How long did it take to cut? I've been meaning to cut 36" one.

parrulho Sun 01 December 2013 19:16

Tom, material is Moisture resistant MDF white faced, it hold details very well.

Armando, the size is 24", I leave my machine unattended and then I found it paused by itself (first time happen) I don't know how long it was paused but the cut took less than 2 Hours for sure and it could run it more fast.

Jbozaf Tue 03 December 2013 13:11

Hi!

Hi Paolo! how much money you spend in this machine? I want to build one myself but i dont know how much money it cost.... ty for your time and congrats for that nice machine!:)

parrulho Tue 03 December 2013 19:58

Thanks Boza. I can't tell you exactly the cost of my machine, I was collecting parts during 2 years and buying all my tools at same time (it was my first metal work) and never logged the expenses... As Sean indicated be prepared to expend 6 to 8 thousand USD, it depends on quality of the parts and shipping/taxes to get it imported. I was lucky enough to get most of the heavy and expensive parts from Mike, Metalhead: laser kit, motors, drives and controlbox with most of the components, all in very good quality. It saved me a lot in shipping.