MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   MechMates already cutting (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Cut its first sign! #86 - Valley Grande AL USA (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3426)

Rusty Nuts Fri 01 July 2011 20:09

Cut its first sign! #86 - Valley Grande AL USA

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, I'm from Valley Grande Alabama. I've been following the post in this forum and have a set of plans from Mike. I had today off so went to town and purchase some of my material to get started. I need to get in touch with Mike to see if he has any laser kits available. I'm posting this first picture as a test. It's a new work bench I built this past week. Went ahead and painted it Mechmate blue:) If it posts alright I'll post some construction photos.

MetalHead Fri 01 July 2011 20:16

Yes - I will have 15 sets soon.

Welcome and enjoy yout build !!

Rusty Nuts Fri 01 July 2011 20:31

Laser kits

Hi Mike, let me me know when you have them in. Can you tell me what size the adjustable feet are so I can go ahead and dill and tap the legs. THANKS

Rusty Nuts Fri 01 July 2011 20:48

Pics of July 1st start

12 Attachment(s)
The first pics are of a stand I build out of scrap. I put adjustable legs on these stands so that I could build the Mechmate upside down in a good flat plane. Hope to get more work work done tomorrow :)

aussie_mick Sat 02 July 2011 00:41

Gary

Nice going. Keep those pics coming.

Mick

MetalHead Sat 02 July 2011 04:26

1/2-13 - Great PICS keepem comming !!

Rusty Nuts Sat 02 July 2011 20:09

Saturday work

16 Attachment(s)
Got some more work in today, would be nice to have an air conditioned shop.

javeria Sat 02 July 2011 21:07

Hi Gary - thats fast and Cool!

KenC Sat 02 July 2011 23:13

Thumbs up! At this rate, you will have it build in record time :D

234ahmed Sun 03 July 2011 02:53

Great progress. Keep up the good work.

Surfcnc Sun 03 July 2011 04:06

I see your super organised with the level building platform, lifting gear and a clean shop.
All signs that that your mechmate will be a quality build - well done.

Regards
Ross

MetalHead Sun 03 July 2011 06:14

Man don't you know it on the AC Shop !! It's freakin hot and the humidity is what kills !! High 80's (oops meant humidity !!!) yesterday and today. I was tryin to work in my shop and gave up because of it. I am going out early today to see if I can be like a frog in water and just heat up with the day :D !!

KenC Sun 03 July 2011 06:58

80's? That is comfortable... Never-ever had day temperature lower than 85F in my part of the world...

Rusty Nuts Sun 03 July 2011 07:20

Broken thermometer

Hey Mike, you need to shake that thermometer and see if its stuck. It was over 95 here. Maybe you're up in the mountains above B'ham where it's cooler:)

MetalHead Sun 03 July 2011 08:07

Note I meant humidity !!! Guess I need more coffee !!! The temp was 95 !!! Sweat just puddles up and stays everywhere !!! I am sitting here now thinkning of ways NOT to get to work !!! Yes I do still love Alabama, but Montana is soundin good about now !!

KenC Sun 03 July 2011 08:12

That sucks :(

Take shower, that will surely get rid of the body heat for a while... I usually take a shower every 1~2 hour in that sort of heat...

Rusty Nuts Sun 03 July 2011 20:51

11 Attachment(s)
I have one more day before I have to go back to work. Need to make some money for the electronics. I will have to do a lot more reading in the forum on that. I have a small cnc router I built years ago with a cutting area of 1 ft X 2 ft and I used Hobby CNC for my electonics. This is going to be a new ball game. Here are some pics of the build.

Rusty Nuts Mon 04 July 2011 11:24

6 Attachment(s)
Here is the last day of the 4th of July build. I'm ready to set my table down and turn it over. I will start on my rails next. Haven't found the angle iron deminsions on the plans for the X & Y rails (maybe I'm just blind from all of the welding). Been searching the forum and I believe its going to be 2-1/2" X 2-1/2". Is this correct? Thanks to everyone in the MM fourm for all of the info and help.

JamesJ Mon 04 July 2011 11:29

The rails need to be 2.5 x 1.5 angle iron if you are going to grind your own rails. Dimensions are on plate M1 10 110 of the plans.

Rusty Nuts Mon 04 July 2011 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJ View Post
The rails need to be 2.5 x 1.5 angle iron if you are going to grind your own rails. Dimensions are on plate M1 10 110 of the plans.
Thanks Jim, I just didn't look hard enough. I see on the plans where the maximum height of the angle iron sould be no more than 2". Is the cut off (waste) to be used as a retaining strip to go into the "Y" tubing for the rail bolts? I don't know what size angle iron my suppler stocks. Do you recommend looking for 2.5 X 1.5 to be close to the final grind size and not having to cut any off?

bradm Mon 04 July 2011 12:44

See the rails section of the forum. IIRC, you're trying to get to 1.1" x 2.5", and you want to start from 2.5 x 1.5 or 2.5 x 2.0 (not 2.5 x 2.5, or you'll have troubles with the skate). And, yes, the cutoffs are useful as clamping plates (particularly if you use 2.5 x 2.0).

timberlinemd Mon 04 July 2011 15:15

To clarify Brads caution about the skate. The grinder disk does not have a big enough diameter to cut through the angle, because the profile of the skate will hit a tall angle leg. 2" or less on one leg will not cause problems.

Rusty Nuts Tue 05 July 2011 19:55

Thanks Jim, Brad and Steve for the info on the angle iron. My supplier closes before I get off work in the evening. Will try to leave early before Friday and hopefull get the angle iron if he carries the correct size.

Rusty Nuts Wed 06 July 2011 21:09

4 Attachment(s)
I have a friend in the towing business and he came over yesterday evening with a wrecker. He backed up to one end of the MM and I used my hoist on the other end and we turned it over with ease. Didn't have to throw a beer party so I can drink it all myself:)

KenC Thu 07 July 2011 01:25

WOWO~~~ You made it look so easy!!!
Brilliant work!

hennie Thu 07 July 2011 11:39

Gary are you going to use that prop against the wall for cooling in your shop.:)

Kobus_Joubert Thu 07 July 2011 12:02

No man he does not own a broom and will use it as a dust extractor :D

Rusty Nuts Thu 07 July 2011 19:04

Hi Ken I really enjoyed this past weekend. Everything really fell into place. I was really suprised I was able to get so much done. I'm hoping the skate will arrive from Mike tomorrow so I can work on the rails this weekend.

Good idea on the prop, just need to find a large stepper and use a 4th axis. Air conditioning and dust extraction. Anyone want to write the G-code:eek:

Rusty Nuts Sat 09 July 2011 18:41

13 Attachment(s)
I took off work a little early Friday to get the angle for my X & Y rails. The supplier only had 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" so I went ahead and brought it. This morning I made a jig to cut it down to 1.125". Worked really well, took 10 discs and made a heck of a mess. Tommorow I Hope to align and mount the X rails then grind the V onto them.

Rusty Nuts Sat 09 July 2011 18:44

2 Attachment(s)
Santa came early in July (Mike I know that was you) and brought me some goodies.