MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   70. Control Systems (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Control box location ! - Wall vs Table base (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2107)

Robert M Sat 05 September 2009 05:44

Control box location ! - Wall vs Table base

Is it my mind who is playing trick or I’ve truly read before that, it is not recommended to have the control box located & fixed to the table base ?
I just can’t seem to find this thread :o
Can one explain why it’s not recommended ??
Thanks , Robert

Alan_c Sat 05 September 2009 06:10

Gerald actually reccomends that the box be mounted to the wall but quite a few have mounted it to the side of the machine. Nobody has reported that as being a poor choice so far but there are dangers associated with dust ingress, the box and lid mounted switches getting knocked by boards and possibly stacking boards against it which may inhibit the cooling.

However when I build my next one I probably will also mount the box on the side as then I can use shorter cables and dont have them running across the floor. If done correctly it could make for a more compact arrangement.

Gerald D Sat 05 September 2009 06:27

As Alan said, I think the wall is the safer, cleaner location. Also, I just know that if I mount it low under the table, I will have a lot of faults to find in there to kill my back. :(

sailfl Sat 05 September 2009 06:43

Robert,

Having the box up on a wall makes it easier to work on if you need to. Most likely you will not need to change any thing once you are operating but do you really want to be on the floor if you find you have a problem or need to trouble shoot a problem or want to add some thing that you can not live with out.

Robert M Sat 05 September 2009 07:01

Among other dilemma, one obvious, as you point, is between a more compact set up with shorter wiring and less across the floor, vs damaging it, dust problems and… back braking… just to see a few !!
I thought I read before on this forum some concern about electrical possible problems ( Ie : noise interference, induction interference, shielding etc ) aside of physical disadvantages.
I’m not all for it but wanting to see others point of view and if it is / could be a major mistake in the long run so it could maybe help me decide as I’m at this point in my planning.
Thanks ;)

Gerald D Sat 05 September 2009 09:00

I do not think that electrical noise interference is a factor in the decision.

Alan_c Sat 05 September 2009 10:35

Take a look at this example, David has a nice solution.

Gerald D Sat 05 September 2009 14:19

If I did put the control box under the table, I would probably put it under the end of the x-cable chain.

liaoh75 Sun 06 September 2009 07:03

In retrospect, I would have to agree with Gerald on the placement as I had to run all my cables to the other side. I can't remember why I put it on the opposite side to begin with. Also, you really don't need to have a control box so large. One would have done the job.

Also, another consideration, is the deeper the box, the more difficult it will be to use clamps because the box gets in the way. Be prepared to get fancy with your clamping system if you go down the same road I did. If I were to do it all over again, I would have a roll around cart Much like Irfan and keep as much open space under the table "open" for clamping. Obviously, when one is designing things, you often over look some things. So, think carefully about how you will use the Mechmate before deciding on your control box location.

jeffa Sun 06 September 2009 08:24

4 Attachment(s)
Robert,

We elected to mount our control box on the base. The mounting location is toward the front on the left-hand side when facing the machine just in front of the start of the X-axis cable chain mount. Our plan is to come out of the side of the control box right up onto the cable chain mount with our cables. Also, we are using vibration isolator mounts for the control box.

Here are some photos:

Gerald D Sun 06 September 2009 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by liaoh75 View Post
. . . . another consideration. . . . the more difficult it will be to use clamps because the box gets in the way. Be prepared to get fancy with your clamping system . . . . .
That is a very valid observation, thanks David.

MattyZee Sun 06 September 2009 17:33

Hey Robert,

I considered both wall and table mount for my MM and ending up choosing table mount for the following reasons.
- Damage to the box/buttons is a non issue for me. if you are that reckless with boards around your machine there are more sensitve parts that are more exposed than the control box (Motors, cable chains etc). I could agree that if you put you box at the end of the table then it will be easy to damage it but not at the side. In fact, I saw the risk of damaging the cables running across the floor as being greater.
- Shorter neater cables. I have the control box at the end of the X axis cable chain and the cable flow neatly into the top of the box.
- I don't see Dust as an issue. The box is IP67 rated which means its totally dust proof and so could even handle being immersed in water up to 1m. Dust will only build up on the top surface which contributes nearly nothing to convective heat transfer. Its the vertical walls that provide the cooling. And i would never lean boards against the side of the table with the X axis cable chain.
- It is likely i will need to move it at some point and I don't want to be restricted in placement (within x metres of a wall etc).
- I'm still reasonably young and don't mind sitting on the floor to fix a wiring issue.

oh, here's a pic of mine.

Robert M Mon 07 September 2009 04:05

Thanks guys,
It's very interesting to see some of those different set ups and surly It will help more than just me. I’m convinced this tread will also help some other uncertain ones too!
As for me, I’ll go with the traditional version, wall mount!
I’m precocious about this SS usb thing. So I’ll go as Gerald suggested, SS mounted in the computer then flat ribbon to the PMDX, that’s part why I’ll go with all close on a wall mount.

Beside I rather try a remote keyboard & mouse with Bluetooth technology combine with a long screen cable (50ft) and if any trouble with that, go back with keyboard & mouse on cable VS messing and diagnostic troubleshooting SS ifs, buts & funny erratic irregularities.
On the long run, I’m ready to simply ditch this SS if I see / get too much trouble with it, but on the other side, let’s see first all this in a working state before assuming anything wrong at this stage.
Amicalement, Robert ;)

Alan_c Mon 07 September 2009 13:03

I think it would be better to use a screened cable between the SS and the PMDX rather than the ribbon cable.