MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   MechMates already cutting (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Working On A Drag Knife for Vinyl! #117 - Bassett, VA (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4048)

Tom Ayres Sun 05 April 2009 17:22

Working On A Drag Knife for Vinyl! #117 - Bassett, VA

Hello all,

Thought I'd introduce myself, Tom Ayres, master woodworker by trade. My knowlege of cnc's is small, I almost bought a unit for $175K for my business. I just couldn't justify the $6k+/mth payment, quite an unsettling feeling of that kind of debt. Glad I didn't, but in the research process learned how much I need to learn...

Thought I'd apply my need for learning, so i've taken up electronics, my 11 year old son is into computers and has an interest in robotics. What better way to combine the two and my focus on detail, teach my son and myself something thats a strong life lesson and not to mention something that is also potential money generator!

Overall still very new to this and any support is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Tom

Medemt Sun 05 April 2009 18:59

Hey Tom,

I am very new to this site myself. I found it by accident one day and I have not stopped reading posts and making a few Inquiries. I also spend a fair bit of time studying the drawings and relating them to the threads on this site. I am getting costs for all of the components and working out other logistical issues. Since I am travelling alot right now with my job, I will not start anything until I know I can put maximum effort into it.

I will say that this is a great site. There are some really great folks here and they seem to being so willing to help each other out. I have talked directly with some and am making arrangements to visit some guys that are either making a machine or have one running. Don't be shy about asking questions. As I said people here are very wiling to help. I have asked some dumb questions and have not been made to feel like an idiot - a sign of a quality group of people.

I spent a fair bit of time in Basset,Virginia year ago at the Furniture plant.

Well, look forward to seeing your build record. Good luck.

Dan

sailfl Sun 05 April 2009 19:17

Welcome Tom and Dan,

It is a great site and the machine is even better. Most of us come with different expertise or none. Mine is software and I was able to still build a machine. If you have a question(s) some one will answer it or Gerald will. You have to do the leg work but we will be happy to assist you if you run into a boulder. We like to see lots of pictures. It is always interesting to see what others are doing with their build or machine.

Happy building.

Gerald D Sun 05 April 2009 23:06

Hi Tom, looks like you have gotten all the drawings downloaded now?

Tom Ayres Mon 06 April 2009 03:23

Gerald,

Thanks. But no, I still can not pull part1 and part3 files, I've just about recked my computer by changing settings/configurations, finally got it somewhat back to normal. Maybe it would be better for someone to email it to me. My brother-in-law is always sending me file 5-10mb and they seem fine. These files are just over 2mb. Whats your take?

Tom Ayres Mon 06 April 2009 03:25

Oops! By-the-way, thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm looking forward to this build.

jhiggins7 Mon 06 April 2009 06:52

Hey Tom,

I'll be glad to try to help. Send me an E-Mail with your E-Mail address and I'll send you two different E-Mails, one with Part 1 and one with Part 3.

How does that sound?

Regards,
John

Tom Ayres Mon 06 April 2009 20:17

Sounds Great!:) Thanks, I'm really itching to get a good hard look at this.

Tom Ayres Fri 01 June 2012 17:08

MM Number Assignment

At what point is there a number assigned to your machine? When you start or when you finish? And from who or where do you get said number?

smreish Fri 01 June 2012 18:11

Tom,
A living serial number document is kept here by a forum member and authorized by Mike and/or Gerald. Your machine gets a serial number at the end when it:
- is painted
- has logo's on all the required parts of the machine
- cuts and makes dust (or water jet, or plasma, draws with a sharpie)

Tom Ayres Fri 01 June 2012 19:08

Thanks Sean, I guess I'll have to wait, lol. I just finally got started after 3 years.

Tom Ayres Thu 10 January 2013 03:34

Sorta Newby - Again

I'm sorta reintroducing myself because several years ago I was kicking around the idea of making a machine for myself. Well about a month ago I finally pulled the trigger and ordered some steel.

I haven't decided on 5 x 10 or 5 x 12 (go big or go home), OM pk299-f4.5a w/4:1 belt reduction. Software is up in the air. The frame of the MM seams small for the larger tables so I may 'beef it up', I dunno. Dust collection yes, and vaccuum in the future.

I have several welders (mig, stick, tig and a plasma cutter), 7x12 bandsaw, etc. I not too bad at that stuff, but I am a woodworker so metal is not my forte. I'm a fairly quick learner and my 14 year old son who wants to become an engineer will be assisting me. We home school our children and what better thing to teach, you've go electronics, computer related stuff, robotics, metalwork, system design and many other benefits. I'm sure he'll be teaching me a thing or two.

I look forward to this build and thank all in advance for your assistance. I'll be doing this in spare time (work two jobs) and resources so it may take a bit of time. But I think I may be ready for the laser parts in the next month or so anyway.

Thanks All,
Tom

darren salyer Thu 10 January 2013 05:59

Looking forward to watching your build progress, Tom.
Good Luck!!

domino11 Thu 10 January 2013 08:16

Good to see you are still around Tom!
Best of Luck!

MetalHead Thu 10 January 2013 15:22

Welcome back !!! Glad to see folks diving in on some new builds !!!

Tom Ayres Thu 10 January 2013 17:34

Just dragged the steel in 15 minutes ago, the 14' x 8 x 2.25 can be quite heavy to move by yourself. Shew!

Tom Ayres Sat 23 March 2013 19:47

Official MM Color

I know this is a stupid question, but what is the official MechMate color????:o

domino11 Sat 23 March 2013 21:52

Ford Blue if I recall. There was a paint code floating around years ago but dont remember it at the moment. A lot of people in the states seem to use rustoleum Sail Blue. Here in Canada it is Tremclad Light Blue.

Tom Ayres Sat 23 March 2013 23:16

Thanks Heath, I'm really not a Ford man, could I use Chevy Orange, Ha Ha. I wonder the average number of cans of rustoleum are used...I think I'd be better off getting automotive paint and primer.

sailfl Sun 24 March 2013 04:33

Tom,

I sprayed my machine with rattler can rustoleum blue from HD. I don't remember how many cans I used besides the one that blew up in my truck. Gerald would like to see them in blue but he hasn't disallowed any other color so pick a color you love or can live with.

Gerald D Sun 24 March 2013 05:12

Official MechMate logo and colour

Tom Ayres Sun 24 March 2013 06:26

Thanks for the link Gerald. I'll call it MM Blue, I really like someone's machine(s) with the white and the black rails, any objections?

Nils, I guess it must have been summer time...that's your excuse to cover up the bank-job, right, huh?;)

Gerald D Sun 24 March 2013 07:42

Mike Metalhead owns all the rights now - I don't think he is too fussy about the particular colour.

domino11 Sun 24 March 2013 07:57

Tom,
You can buy the rustoleum in a gallon format as well. You can thin it and spray it with a gun if you want. Or brush or roller as well.

Tom Ayres Sun 24 March 2013 09:02

Isn't the rustoleum a paint and primer in one? I'd have to spray it, after many years of cabinet work I don't have the patience to apply paint and watch it dry. As a matter of fact, I've got an english wheel I made a year ago that has yet to be painted. Maybe I'll paint it MM Blue as well.

domino11 Sun 24 March 2013 12:35

Tom,
You can use rustoleum on bare metal or over a primer. A primer is always a good idea in my book. :)
Grab an adult beverage when watching paint dry. Makes the time go better! :)

Tom Ayres Sun 24 March 2013 15:07

I received an email from Eastwood, they just happen to have some of their Hot Rod paint kits on sale, they have a real nice GM Muisanne Blue (GM code 26, 70-72 Chevelle) which is as close as to MM Blue as I could get, on sale that is.

Tom Ayres Mon 25 March 2013 20:01

Its About Time!

Well Fellas (and Kim ;)), I final started my build. It is official, I've welded some steel in the past few days, just received my laser cut and bent parts from Metalhead Mike (thanks by-the-way). I will try to post a few pics periodically. Just can't seem to get enough time to really dig in and get some real progress going (those pesky customers always wanting something). Well, this is where it begins. I look forward to picking your brains for advise and thanks in advance guys!

domino11 Mon 25 March 2013 20:41

Congrats Tom! Good Luck. :)

BooY Mon 25 March 2013 20:42

Good job Tom :)

you do know you can keep posting in u're other thread without the need to create a new thread for each section, it'll be moved by the mods