MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   50. Toolheads (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   spindle source (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3874)

JasonC Sun 19 August 2012 18:23

spindle source

Does anyone know of a source for a Delta 3.7KW (single phase)220v VFD

I keep hitting dead ends

Jason

bradm Sun 19 August 2012 20:54

That would tend to be an unusual configuration. Could you use a 5.5KW three phase fed with the single phase instead? And you realize that such a device would be looking for something on the order of a 35A input?

From what I can see, such a model isn't available as a VFD-A, VFD-EL, VFD-E, VFD-M, VFD-F, VFD-B, VFD-VE, or VFD-C2000 series from Delta. Are you sure this exists? AFAIK, single phase VFDs cap out at 2.2KW / 3HP, and beyond that you have to use an oversized three phase unit.

JasonC Sun 19 August 2012 21:00

All I have is single phase where I live and want to have the largest spindle unit I can get.

Im getting a 3.7KW spindle.

bradm Mon 20 August 2012 06:35

Then you should definitely look at getting an oversized VFD - 2X the size if you're actually going to run that spindle hard. See here and search for "3 phase vfd on single phase" for other information sources. You can also comparison shop VFDs from Hitachi and Teco if you aren't 100% locked on Delta. If you ask a rep from any of the three companies they can help you size for your needs.

JasonC Mon 20 August 2012 08:10

Thank you Bradm, I didnt know that was possible. I love options.

Jason

smreish Mon 20 August 2012 08:25

Jason,

The one below is a 3hp single or 3 phase input. If you read the manual you will see the HP rating derated to about 1.75 HP. I haven't seen any 1/3 phase input larger than 5hp lately, thus leaving you about 3 HP readily available on a 1 phase input.

Something like this:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...AC%29/GS2-23P0

PEU Mon 20 August 2012 09:40

(Hola Sean!)

Some months ago I saw a VFD for a 5HP motor (3.7kw) that was 3/3 phases but it could work also with one phase missing, the current consumption doubles when this happen.

I agree, for single phase input, 2.2KW is the usual ceiling

Pablo

bradm Mon 20 August 2012 10:46

This appears to meet your specifications. Can't vouch for the manufacturer though. I was trying to find a manufacturer that still makes a VFD where the manual states that it will operate with a missing phase (or can be overridden). That used to be common, but I don't see it in the latest drives - they seem to have gotten too smart for this usage. Again, I'd call a rep (or vendor) or two.

Belli Tue 21 August 2012 06:16

Hi Jason

A Yaskawa V1000 is rated at 4kW, 220V single phase input (the biggest single phase that I know of), we have used buckets of them on HF spindles.

Greg

smreish Tue 21 August 2012 08:03

...and the Yasakawa is well supported here in the States too.

JasonC Tue 21 August 2012 08:19

I found one that will handle what Im looking for.

http://www.pdscolombo.com/prod_vfd.php

Thanks for the help everyone.

Jason

MetalHead Tue 21 August 2012 08:40

I have been a little slow on this thread.

But take a look at this inverter as well. You may also want to give them a call and tell them what your doing with it. One of the key factors is to make sure you can run a 400hz otherwise you will only get half speed out of the spindle.

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it...category=15367

$299.00 plus shipping

danilom Tue 21 August 2012 17:52

Ratings: 1/8 to 5 HP at 240 VAC 1-ph, for Yaskawa V1000 so its 3.7kw not 4 but that's the value Jason wanted.
The Delta single phase biggest is 022 , or 2.2kw on the link you posted Jason?

The question is... do you have a 3.7kw 5HP , 24000 rpm 220V SPINDLE?

This combination will cost, do you have a specific reason or application behind this?

I know that my 2.2kw spindle is enough as I rarely see load on the vfd above 50% (6mm bit, 9mm doc in ply-wood = 26% load)
(35mm ogee bit, MDF 6mm doc, 55% load)
Only reason for me wanting the 3kw one is because is because its larger and more robust.

KenC Tue 21 August 2012 22:00

Constant speed spindles are expensive. Most low cost spindle in the market are constant torque spindle, they slow down when you feed them too fast. This will cause some issue with some cases when you really need constant cutting speed. Over sizing the spindle & use only a fraction of the spindle capacity will help maintain a more constant cutting speed range.
But really, 2.2kW is good for most cutting. I use 3Kw because I need to do texture carving with 25mm radius ball nose bits with cutting depth varying between 1 to 6mm constantly. with a 2.2kw, the spindle works into 80% of the spindle capacity & you can hear the spindle slowing down on deep cuts & speed up at shallow ones. Also it will trip the invertor when the bit get too blunt.

JasonC Wed 22 August 2012 08:56

Thanks for the info everyone. With all the funds I have saved doing this project myself vs buying one I have a good amount of funds and wanted a spindle that wouldnt be the weak link in the machine. A big concern of mine is carving and hitting hardwood knots. I also have a 50 amp breaker for the spindle.

Thanks
Jason

timberlinemd Wed 22 August 2012 11:57

I don't want to hijack this thread, but when I get my spindel I intended to use my 10hp/3p rotary phase converter (220v/1p input) as the primary input to the VFD for the spindel. Has anyone had any experiance with this kind of setup or can offer any feedback?

bradm Wed 22 August 2012 12:04

Jason, that pdscolumbo page you linked to clearly shows that the single phase Delta B VFDs cap out at 2.2kw / 3 hp (see the 3rd row from the bottom in the 230 V section).
Danilo noted this as well.

If you look at the manual for the Teco 7300CV that Mike posted, it also clearly shows that the single phase model caps out at 2.2kw / 3 hp.

So the Yaskawa and the Polyspede are the only two thus far that state support for 5 hp on 1 phase. (I'd choose the Yaskawa).

JasonC Thu 23 August 2012 10:24

Yaskawa looks good. Anybody using one of those and have any feedback?

Yaskawa V1000 CIMR-VUBA0018FAA

Jason

zumergido Sun 26 August 2012 11:20

besides the hunger for hp on the spindles. remember to keep in mind how many amps you have. in my country 25 amps 220v its the average. so if i get a 5 hp machine i will use 17 amps "in a perfect world" and leaves 8 amps for lights and other apliances.

JasonC Sun 26 August 2012 14:41

I have 200 amp house feed.

Jason

pblackburn Thu 29 November 2012 22:10

Jason,
What did you ever decide?

JasonC Thu 29 November 2012 22:28

Went with Dale Walshs setup. That thing is a beast! But I have been buried in work and havent had a minute of time. He gives you top notch service!

Jason

JamesJ Sat 12 January 2013 20:55

Jason
Please share Dale Walsh website as I am shopping for a spindle. Thanks.

JasonC Sun 13 January 2013 09:35

Dale Walsh doesnt have a website, PM him.

Extremely high level of service and quality!

Jason