PDA

View Full Version : Distributing free plans and copyright issues

Gerald_D
Mon 10 July 2006, 07:35
I have started to give copies of my rough plans to people that have requested them, and I am now at the stage where I need to tidy up the drawings and data for "free" distribution. But, I intend to retain as much copyright as I can and I want to discuss some "strings" that will be attached to the use of the drawings/data. Some rough principles:

- Folk can use them for free for their own use

- They must use the brand name MechMate for whatever they build from the plans

- They may not re-distribute the drawings, but refer them to mechmate.com to get their own.

- Commercial companies who want to build and sell, must be "approved" by MechMate, and mechmate.com will help them advertise and refer queries to them. They must use the brand name.

- Copyright stays with me, I plan to give free use and build the brand image. If commercial people start making money off it, then I would like a share of that.

Does this sound reasonable and practical?

Mike John
Mon 10 July 2006, 07:59
I think this is extremely generous.
Recognising that there are those who will want to rip you off, I believe that you need to make it clear that these plans are not in the public domain.
Also, make a charge $1 or 1 rand for the plans. The fact that you will not be paid is irrelevant. You will then have made a contract with the user, which would possibly be enforceable in law, should you ever need to go that course.

I await seeing the tidied up plans.
I will send my rand http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/clipart/wink.gif

.........Mike

Gerald_D
Mon 10 July 2006, 09:28
Gee Mike, of course you would pick the cheaper currency!

The downloads would be in a password controlled area, and folk wanting a password would have to agree to the basic terms. No need for money to change hands to establish a contract.

I don't think that I am being all that generous. My idea is to build the brand name MechMate as being representative of a quality, affordable, no-frills product in the small business CNC field. If Joe Wong in Malaysia wants to build and sell MechMate gantries, I want him to realise that his best chance of success will be via mechmate.com and that he will happily pay to advertise here.

Patrick Toomey
Mon 10 July 2006, 12:51
Gerald, have you considered looking into some of the software style open source licenses like the GPL or LGPL. There are also some general purpose copyright standards like Collective Commons and CopyLeft that may work or at least have components you could lift and use in your agreement. Some of those open source type licenses allow the originator to maintain control to the point where someone else cannot take the free work and use it for profit without approval of the owner. Sorry I don't have time to google the appropriate sites as I have to run but I know your search abilities are second to none so you'll find 'em ;-)

Gerald_D
Wed 12 July 2006, 10:38
Some heavy reading there Patrick, and I'm sure the lawyers aren't so generous when they contest some things said there about "Open Source" http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/clipart/happy.gif

I don't want to bury this smallish project under legalese, and I am not going to consult lawyers before writing out a couple of sentences. Bottom line will be that the use is free, but if you profit out of it, then I want a share of the cake. A lot of the true open source stuff is/was developed with public money and sponsorships and the use thereof goes back into the public domain. I didn't have that "luxury", so my approach will not be that open.

Arthur Ransom
Fri 29 December 2006, 08:24
Wish I had found this site before I started my machine. I am working with the local high school about starting a CNC cource. Center piece is that each year students will build their own machine on which they will run their drawings in various CAD packages. Students will be encouraged to start their own business and their machine will be avalible for this. Students that create an active business will have the option to "store" their machine at home or other location. Those that are not "stored" will be sold on Ebay at the end of the year and all money will be plowed back into the program. After the first year the program should be a profit center. Would a $200 royalty be satisfactory for those mackines that are sold? Rolalty on "stored" machines creates a paper trail which I want to avoid.

Gerald_D
Fri 29 December 2006, 08:52
Hi Arthur. Sounds like an excellent program. Right now I think you need to get the program going and you need the money more than me. I am happy to say that is for educational use and free of royalties. One day, when your program is showing fat profits and giving you a free car, I'll be standing at the door for a hand-out. http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/clipart/happy.gif

Charlie T
Sun 31 December 2006, 01:33
LOL
Gerald D
Well put.
Good ole Charlie got some holiday funds going towards my table btw , w00t. http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/clipart/happy.gif
Cant wait and so greatfull that I would gladly contribute to hand outs at the door.
Charlie

tonyleah
Thu 07 June 2007, 03:50
I have started to give copies of my rough plans to people that have requested them, and I am now at the stage where I need to tidy up the drawings and data for "free" distribution. But, I intend to retain as much copyright as I can and I want to discuss some "strings" that will be attached to the use of the drawings/data. Some rough principles:

- Folk can use them for free for their own use

- They must use the brand name MechMate for whatever they build from the plans

- They may not re-distribute the drawings, but refer them to mechmate.com to get their own.

- Commercial companies who want to build and sell, must be "approved" by MechMate, and mechmate.com will help them advertise and refer queries to them. They must use the brand name.

- Copyright stays with me, I plan to give free use and build the brand image. If commercial people start making money off it, then I would like a share of that.

Does this sound reasonable and practical?

hay fella's i have just found this site and am trying to catch up on these plan, am a bit confused as to where to download them from can any one help???????????????????????????//

J.R. Hatcher
Thu 07 June 2007, 04:03
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376

MoBaiz
Thu 12 July 2007, 07:51
I'd like a copy of the plans to build the Mechmate. How can I get a copy?

Gerald D
Thu 12 July 2007, 08:59
Look at the two posts just above yours :)

J.R. Hatcher
Thu 12 July 2007, 20:21
Gerald, the link in my post (3 back) doesn't seem to be working.

Gerald D
Thu 12 July 2007, 23:31
Thanks J.R. - there is a correction now.