PDA

View Full Version : Dispensing liquids, gels for "stained glass" effects

Gerald D
Thu 17 July 2008, 09:28
Just to set you thinking, see:

http://www.creative-resins.co.uk/index.htm

The video on this page: http://www.creative-resins.co.uk/wizard1.htm shows the "lead" of a stained glass window being pumped onto a sheet of plastic. (Think of a caulking gun laying a bead). Coloured resins can then be poured between those caulking beads . . . . . .

Marc Shlaes
Thu 17 July 2008, 16:28
When I was in college, I had NO money. When Christmas came around, I couldn't buy anyone anything. So... I made pretty things out of stained glass. Bottome line. I have, deep in my past, made a bunch of stained glass art. Gerald, I saw your post and thought, yeah, ok, whatever. Then I watched the video and saw the sample on the website and then I thought, wow! Pretty cool! Thanks for the link. I'll try to remain more open-minded in the future. (And I am a very open-minded guy.) I feel a bit guilty for that brief moment of closedmindedness.

Johannescnc
Thu 17 July 2008, 17:22
Very cool...

Robert M
Thu 17 July 2008, 17:28
Marc,
I believe we all go through this assuming / colsedmindedness faze once awhile…
Isn’t it what’s great about being human ?
Thanks Gerald!
Later, Robert ;)

smreish
Thu 17 July 2008, 19:46
...and for those of us in the themed business, another really great tool.
Thanks for the lead.

Gerald D
Thu 17 July 2008, 20:46
This is one of the things I want to try when I get my own MM here at home (need a non-production machine to tinker on) . . . .

An air solenoid valve, controlled from a PMDX output, pushing air to the back of a caulking gun. Once the beads of caulk/silicone are down and set, anybody can do the paint-by-numbers thing with waterpaints, resins either brushed / poured, whatever.

I know of someone here who does the caulking gun epoxy thing by hand (onto thin perspex) and produces stuff for a steakhouse franchise. The biggest headache is laying down even beads....which "CNC" can easilyfix.