PDA

View Full Version : Drawings download as .php ?

Gerald D
Sun 29 June 2008, 22:55
Can anyone help this guy who mailed me with:

hi

I am new to the forum and was trying to download the pdf drawings from "Drawing Plan files for downloading - this is where you get the drawings" but for some reason they are downloading as .PHP format. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

smreish
Mon 30 June 2008, 06:06
Gerald,
It sounds is if the person trying to download the file is right clicking the actual file name and trying to "save link as". This will try to save your link on the forum as a *****.php file.
Remind them they have to be a registered user and "follow the link" not try to "save the link".

Sean

Gerald D
Mon 30 June 2008, 06:25
Aha, he probably has not opened this page yet:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376

He is probably trying to save the link to that page. Anyway, I refered him to this page.

Thanks for the pointer Sean.

whitworthsocket
Sat 27 September 2008, 17:15
I am going to that link. The PDF file downloads OK.
When I go to open it I get an error message saying this file is corrupted.??
Regards Whitworthsocket

domino11
Sat 27 September 2008, 18:27
whitworthsocket,
It sounds as if you have had a bad download. Try getting the file again. Perhaps use a download manager like downthemall for firefox or perhaps orbit? That might help. :)

Gerald D
Sat 27 September 2008, 21:50
Whitworthsocket, I havn't changed those files for months and I know that they are good. They get downloaded about 20 times/day with the rarest of complaints. Please delete your cache memory and try again.

whitworthsocket
Sat 27 September 2008, 23:44
Thanks for the responses.
I am using dialup. I have tried Internet explorer an Firefox. Interestingly I can access the two zip files (Gear Speed Steps Freq Calculator.zip and ProfilesBends30Jun08.zip).
I have a new ASUS laptop and it comes with the dreaded Vista. So there may be some hidden configuration errors. I am having trouble both with the laptop and the operating system.
I am trying to get a friend to download this.
I will keep you posted as this looks like a great project.
Regards Whitworthsocket

Gerald D
Sun 28 September 2008, 00:57
Your username brought back memories of being a teenager and spending school holidays in my old man's garage business. I can still remember where those strange whitworth spanners and sockets hung on his toolboard.

1/4W . . . . 1/2"AF spanner too small and the 14mm too big . . . :)

domino11
Sun 28 September 2008, 17:58
whitworthsocket

If you are using firefox, try using a download manager like Down Them All. It will make sure you get a good download. It is available as an addon for firefox.. Just google it and it might make the difference.

You could always upgrade to WinXP. :eek:

kaartman
Sun 05 October 2008, 07:00
Whitworthsocket
Send me your Po Box info, I will send a hard copy of the plans with snail mail, these days snail mail is not that slow.

whitworthsocket
Sat 25 October 2008, 19:15
Thanks Koning,
I went across to a mates computer.
Windows XP,Internet explorer and broadband access. It downloaded beautifully.
My next machine will be XP