PDA

View Full Version : K2 Hitachi Router Mount Modification using SteelMax Saw

dmoore
Sun 18 May 2008, 18:01
The stock K2 Hitachi (and most other K2 mounts) will not mount directly to the Z-Slide due to clearance issues with the v-Wheels and bolts. I used my steelmax (highly recommended...) to cut off the corners at 45 degrees and then again to cut a notch for the allen head bolts. It perfectly clears the rollers without adding an additional spacer or removing any more material than neccessary. See photos below.

WTI
Sun 18 May 2008, 19:50
The SteelMax and the Evolution TCT saws are amazing, but for that cut, I think I would have used a bandsaw.

I wonder is it just the blade on the SteelMax? What would happen if one were to use a SteelMax blade in any 3900 RPM saw?

Marc Shlaes
Sun 18 May 2008, 19:59
The SteelMax saw definitely turns slower than the typical circular saw. Also, they attempt to stop you from trying that by making the arbor hole in the blade a "different" size. I personally wouldn't try it. The saw is well made and not that expensive if you find a used one on ebay. It is absolutely fantastic to have around.

dmoore
Sun 18 May 2008, 21:54
The SteelMax and the Evolution TCT saws are amazing, but for that cut, I think I would have used a bandsaw.

I wonder is it just the blade on the SteelMax? What would happen if one were to use a SteelMax blade in any 3900 RPM saw?

I wish I had a metal cutting bandsaw - that surely would have been the right choice here. It does show that the SteelMax saw has lots of places in the MechMate build, even the finer detailed cutting like this.

The SteelMax saw appears to be fairly geared down, more so than a typical circular saw. The steelmax saw isn't much more expensive than a regular saw - I only paid $30 for mine off ebay, used.

Greg J
Thu 22 May 2008, 07:17
David, Others,

When I modified my router brackets, I cut the aluminum with a metal blade and a jig saw. Operated at a slow cutting speed. Worked well.

WTI
Thu 22 May 2008, 16:54
We cut 3/4" aluminum plate all day long on a regular wood bandsaw.

Put in a blade with the least teeth (we use 3tpi).

Run it at the fastest speed setting.

Vacuum out all the wood chips and sawdust before beginning.

No need for coolant, the metal never even gets hot.