PDA

View Full Version : New "Mentor" Forum?

dmoore
Tue 06 May 2008, 19:14
Gerald -

After talking with Chris on the phone today, I realised how important one-on-one discussion is. While I agree most discussions should remain on the forum for the benefit of all, I think there is a place for a "mentor" forum where local people can assemble or provide resources. This maybe that one person with a lathe that makes the parts, another person builds the skate and shares it, someone who has better welding skills does the welding, the person with better electrical troubleshooting skills wires everything up or the person who is more proficient with CAD/CAM/design software, teaches the other. Nothing beats having someone SHOW you how. Try teaching welding over a forum...

Of course this means that you need to find someone local to yourself - even Chris was talking with another person in his own town.

What it seems we need is a place where you can post "mentor" or "collaborate" requests, along with your location and what skills you need help with or can offer.

What do you think Gerald?

Thanks,
david

Gerald D
Tue 06 May 2008, 20:52
I was thinking that the "Personal" threads would evolve into something like that. That is why I highlight the person's location in those thread titles. There are already some smaller informal groups that visit each other.

dmoore
Tue 06 May 2008, 21:12
Gerald -

Maybe the 'personal' thread could become the "build log" forum? The description below the personal thread - "A place where individuals can start and "own" a thread about their personal experiences and endeavors" seems to indicate it's more about a build log.

I see some people getting together but it's somewhat random it seems - instead of being able to offer or request local help.

Just my two cents.

david

domino11
Tue 06 May 2008, 21:43
David,
Why not just start a thread with a compatible title in the personal section stating what you are looking for. This way people who are interested can post in your thread and therefore see who is interested and then info can be exchanged there or in email of pm. :)

I really enjoy your build log, it is very well organized. I am sure I will reference it once all my parts are ordered and I start mine. :)

Gerald D
Tue 06 May 2008, 22:34
The description below the personal thread - "A place where individuals can start and "own" a thread about their personal experiences and endeavors" seems to indicate it's more about a build log.

I purposely avoided calling it "Build Log" because that is what other forums like to call it, and here I am breaking the mold of other forums. :)

In your thread, you can post a log, ask for help, arrange a barbecue, offer help, whatever, as long as there is some remote connection to MechMate. It was never intended to be a pure "build log" page where other people are afraid to participate because they mess up your logbook.

Gerald D
Tue 06 May 2008, 23:10
Have edited the front page slightly now.

I think a common misperception is that the MechMate forum runs along the same lines as CNCzone. The only thing is common is the use of vBulletin as the forum software.

For the rest, here we try and stick to the plans - over there a million ideas are thrown into a melting pot. By sticking to one set of plans we can build a better sense of identity, and the group becomes self-supporting. There should always be someone who did a particular step before you, and can help you out. I avoid the esoteric, and want technologies that are accessible (and economical) in most parts of the world. In other words, the MechMate is for the boring, middle-of-the-road folk. :D Seriously though, the MechMate is supposed to be a workhorse. The guys who lean towards the Porche's & Ferrari's for Sunday drives and spend many hours talking about them will feel more at home at CNCzone.

dmoore
Tue 06 May 2008, 23:54
Why not just start a thread with a compatible title in the personal section stating what you are looking for. This way people who are interested can post in your thread and therefore see who is interested and then info can be exchanged there or in email of pm. :)

The MechMate board is growing and along with the increased post level, especially in the personal and general sections, a "I'm here in Houston and can help..." post would quickly fall to the bottom of a fast moving forum like Personal if there was not immediate and continued posting against it.

I really enjoy your build log, it is very well organized. I am sure I will reference it once all my parts are ordered and I start mine. :)

Initially I started out writing a basic instruction manual and gout about 15 pages in and decided there were so many options that it would be hard to accommodate all of them with any level of depth. I also worry that a single point of reference could make it "too easy" to build without having to understand what you are doing before you start. So, instead, I've tried to post enough information to make people comfortable with the process but still require the in depth research needed to make the build a success.

I will also be releasing a very complete spreadsheet that has every part listed along with vendors and pricing in the US. It also lists the tools required for each step and the general amount of time it requires to perform step (drawing).

Best of luck with your new build!

david