PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of building MM for acrylic

glintid
Thu 01 May 2008, 15:04
Hello all,
I've been lurking here for a while and have read most of the forum, sometimes more than once. I'm currently set up in Bucharest in Romania but hope to be back in Canada before autumn.

I am in two minds right now about buying a Chinese built CNC router or building a MM. I might actually end up doing both so I have backup. I intend to cut up to 20mm acrylic and MDF and am wondering if anyone has had experience cutting acrylic with the geared stepper motors? I currently cut on a laser cutter/engraver but have limited power so cutting thick material is not practical.

I'm hoping to go to flame finish from the router (if possible) without refinishing the edge with a sanding machine. Do you think this would be possible on a MM? Can someone please post a sample of an acrylic cut close up so I can evaluate the possible finish?

What a great site and thanks.

David

Greg J
Thu 01 May 2008, 15:49
Check out Sean's personal posts. #298

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460

smreish
Thu 01 May 2008, 18:55
I cut A LOT of plastic. Acrylic, Polycarbonate, PVC, Sintra, Plastic laminate over MDF and/or Ply. NO problem. Actually, really easy.

Just make certain that you match the correct bit to the substrate.
Refer to http://www.hartlauer-bits.com/
They have a reference chart to match bits/speed etc for use.
The cutting speeds recommended in the back cover of the booklet are almost always dead-on correct.

Good luck and happy building.
Sean

If you cutting plastic I highly recommend that you use 7.2 geared steppers and a smaller pinion. This was one of the deciding factors in going with the 20T pinions on my machine. I sacrificed a little jog speed for very good low cutting speed control over the work surface. The proof is in the finished product.

Sean

glintid
Thu 01 May 2008, 22:43
Thanks Sean and Greg, I'll keep that all in mind when I finally get around to accumulating parts. Lots more queries I expect. :)