PDA

View Full Version : Crocs, Gators, snow, ice & mowing the lawn

Marc Shlaes
Mon 04 February 2008, 21:55
From another thread . . . .

One thing I really love about this forum is the subtle exposure to the rest of the world. Here in the US (probably because we have them), we call it an alligator clip.

Gerald D
Mon 04 February 2008, 22:00
. . . . not to be confused with the British "bulldog clip" ;)

Greolt
Mon 04 February 2008, 22:55
We have Crocs in Australia. From smaller Johnstones (2 to 3m) to VERY large Salt Water Crocs. (up to 7m) Probably like your Aligators.

Greg

smreish
Tue 05 February 2008, 05:35
---each and everyday I can look out my window and see "Oliver" the neighborhood alligator that keeps my pond out back as his personal swimming pool. Now everyone in my neighborhood understands why I just spent 7k for a robust fence to keeps kids and Oliver happily apart from
on each other :)

J.R. Hatcher
Tue 05 February 2008, 07:05
Sean, why don't you upload some "alligator clips" so we can see Oliver. :p Sorry Rose always said I was corny.

smreish
Tue 05 February 2008, 10:16
This is my "gator clip" from the backyard!
He is about 1.5 M....little guy. When he gets to 2M he will get moved by the local gator enforcement warden.

domino11
Tue 05 February 2008, 10:26
Sean,
Wow, up here we only get things like deer, raccoons, foxes, but never alligators! Just too darn cold I guess. Must be an interesting creature to watch in your own backyard. :):eek:

Gerald D
Tue 05 February 2008, 10:50
What do you think Oliver is feeding on?

sailfl
Tue 05 February 2008, 11:02
As another FL Boy, he is most likely feeding on fish, birds and pets!

Gerald D
Tue 05 February 2008, 11:18
And there you guys were thinking that we were living out in the wilds here in Africa! I don't think there is any town within a 1000 miles of here where pets are in that danger from a serious predator.

sailfl
Tue 05 February 2008, 11:36
It is common in the lakes located with in the city to have a gator and it is common for people to have a pet missing because of the gator. Sean was prudent in having a fence put up. I think there have been a small number of children taken by gators.

smreish
Tue 05 February 2008, 13:55
Oliver likes the fish *that are stocked* in the lake and the occasional wounded migratory bird that didn't keep up with the flock.
All-in-all, he's harmless as long as you don't feed him or the family members. Once you feed them, they loose all sense of fear of the humans and start lurking near the house.
That's when the warden gets a call....and Oliver becomes a new purse or pair of boots!

Alan_c
Tue 05 February 2008, 14:01
Wow, with one of those cruising around your crime levels must be incredibly low, I could see a definite need for one in my backyard...:eek:

Bill McGuire
Tue 05 February 2008, 14:35
" VERY large Salt Water Crocs. (up to 7m) Probably like your Aligators."

Yes, I'm guessing they would really LOVE our smaller, tasty alligators down in Florida...

Greolt
Tue 05 February 2008, 19:40
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Greg

smreish
Sat 09 February 2008, 07:06
Forum seems quiet. Everyone must be in the shop welding, grinding or painting today. :) we hope.

revved_up
Sat 09 February 2008, 07:49
The forum seems to have died down a lot over the last two days - do you guys now have grass that needs mowing? :D

No but have had plenty of snow to plow.

cobra427mnsi
Sat 09 February 2008, 07:56
No grass yet, just snow and ice. Gerald, do you ever get snow or ice where you are? I know the guys in Florida might get a little snow once in their life time.

Paul

Gerald D
Sat 09 February 2008, 08:38
As a rule, no city here gets snow/ice with the exception of Johannesburg which gets it once in 5 years because of its altitude (5000ft). Some villages get regular snow (or just winter frost/ice). Snow tyres, ploughs, shovels, chains are unheard of here. When it does snow on a major mountain pass, they just close it for a few days and the traffic has to wait or find a very long alternative route.

Right in the middle of Cape Town city stands Table Mountain at about 3200ft. The top of Table Mountain has had snow in every month of the year. But it would be very wrong to say that Cape Town can get snow all year round - I don't recall it ever reaching street level. Nor do I ever recall frozen pipes around here.

cobra427mnsi
Sat 09 February 2008, 08:44
When I was young , the snow, ice and cold weather didn't bother me but now I dislike (hate) it. I would move to a warmer climate, in a heart beat, but my wife wants to stay close to the kids and grandkids. I envy you your warm climate, Gerald.:)

Gerald D
Sat 09 February 2008, 08:52
I spent a month working in Germany one February when it was all snowy/icy. First 2 days were interesting, then I started realising it is a hard life to live with that white stuff.

Greg J
Sat 09 February 2008, 09:47
Still freezing at night here. But, the high will be 71 degrees F. [21.6 C] today :D

Yes, working in shop making new home for the beast.

revved_up
Sat 09 February 2008, 10:28
Hey Gerald,
I just got an email from a Mr. Richard Vuyo, one of your countrymen.
Would you be so kind as to go and pick up 12 million dollars for me? LOL.

Such a shame that garbage like that keeps you from accepting paypal etc.

Good day and enjoy your sunshine. I wouldn't give up my snow.

smreish
Sat 09 February 2008, 11:28
Paul
I've lived in new Hampshire, new York and spent my childhood in Cleveland. I have had my fair share of snow. I now happily reside in Florida where I can sip coffee on my porch as I watch the putts roll by on the 13th green. Snow is something that I visit now instead of living in! :D. Heck, last week I had the "joy" of sitting in the airport for 8 extra hrs because of the white stuff. I love to play in it-but shoveling it is a fond memory:)

sailfl
Sat 09 February 2008, 11:36
Ditto, from the other FL guy

Gerald D
Sat 09 February 2008, 14:24
Hey Gerald,
I just got an email from a Mr. Richard Vuyo, one of your countrymen.
Would you be so kind as to go and pick up 12 million dollars for me? LOL.

Such a shame that garbage like that keeps you from accepting paypal etc.

Good day and enjoy your sunshine. I wouldn't give up my snow.

It is not Mr Vuyo that blocks Paypal, it's the fact that his scheme works and that gullible people fall for it and then insist that the banks must pay the money back. You guys may laugh at that those scams, but we have about 5 victims flying in per week keeping a police department busy. For those 5 who go to the police, there must be a couple more who are too embarassed to file charges.