PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing the forum

Gerald D
Mon 04 February 2008, 09:42
From another thread where it was noticed that star ratings exist for some threads:

Hadn't actually noticed that the star "ratings" work on this forum. I think anyone can rate any thread and the average result is displayed. However, I don't I like the competition aspect of it. If it gets even slightly ugly it will disappear.

Maybe it will disappear out of the personal threads only - it could be useful on the technical threads?

Greg J
Mon 04 February 2008, 10:40
I think a ratings system is good. As long as the person "owning" the thread can't rate his/her own thread.

There is so much information, from numerous sources, that a ratings system is usefull. It helps to prioritize.

I was going to say that competition is also good. The more I think about it, I don't think that's correct. All colleges have design contests (at least mine did). They were positive as long as there were ground rules so it can't turn ugly. BUT, it wasn't competition that made me want to do "better" work on the MM. It was purely for the enjoyment of the work (play) and the learning. So, hell, I don't know. Sorry for the rambling. End of subject.

smreish
Mon 04 February 2008, 13:07
Gerald,
I like the idea of "rating" the technical threads. The personal threads will start to, like you mentioned, act like a competition. I like the sense of accomplishment without getting a rating.
Just my 2 cents.
Sean

Gerald D
Mon 04 February 2008, 22:09
I need a lot of help with getting the technical threads tidied up and archiving the obsolete stuff in there. Plus, I need to copy/move posts out of the personal threads to the correct slots in the technical threads. An ultimate (un-achievable) goal is to have the technical threads read like a manual or wikipedia.

Instead of going along and rating personal threads, it will help me a lot if folk scan the personal threads (including the old ones) and report posts (with the triangle button) that should be copied to a technical thread. Rating technical threads helps me to see which of them should maybe become "sticky's" to stay on top.

Greg J
Tue 05 February 2008, 06:15
Instead of going along and rating personal threads, it will help me a lot if folk scan the personal threads (including the old ones) and report posts (with the triangle button) that should be copied to a technical thread. Rating technical threads helps me to see which of them should maybe become "sticky's" to stay on top.

That's a good idea. I never noticed the triangle before or it's purpose. I'll start by reporting your thread because it may not get noticed on my personal thread.

Doug_Ford
Tue 05 February 2008, 06:40
Gerald,

You've asked before for help with organizing all of the information on this forum and I let you down. Sorry. I'll start working on them tonight.

Gerald D
Tue 05 February 2008, 08:19
Doug don't feel to pressurised to drop everything in the workshop - we are actually waiting for your recent photos. :D

In general I don't want anybody to feel obliged to do anything - this is supposed to be relaxation, for me at least. The message I want to leave is that I know the forum can be better, and that I am bumbling along trying to keep it patched together. People are more than welcome to pitch in and say their bit. Or, to put the message in another way, don't complain if you havn't contributed! :D

stefanv
Tue 05 February 2008, 08:45
I think that everything depends on where on the forum the info is found. A real interesting link on V-rollers is without value when you're looking to hook up your BOB. I think Gerald is doing a great job already keeping the topics in their proper place, or moving them. I'm happy he's the only one having access to do that :)

So yes, let's all rate, if you find a thread helpful, or not, rate it. But it's the organization by topic that will really get you the best read for what you’re looking for.

Ratings will always be opinions base on circumstances, we shouldn't get to hot on these,... (I give this discussion a 5 star today but not worth opening for a newbie next month :)

My 2 cents, Stefan

Doug_Ford
Tue 05 February 2008, 10:46
Oooops. Did I promise to post pictures of something?:o I haven't had the chance to turn her on since Sunday afternoon and I'm still waiting on my 1/4 inch collets for the router so I haven't cut anything but that greasy 2X6.

Gerald D
Tue 05 February 2008, 10:54
pulling your leg Doug :)

Greg J
Sun 13 April 2008, 18:30
Gerald,

I'm setting up a new computer and forgot my password. Looked in profile and can't find it there.

How does one find/remember (aside from writing it down :o) the password?

Thanks,
Greg

domino11
Sun 13 April 2008, 19:06
Greg,
If you just try to log in with the wrong password, you will get a screen that has a link to click here if you forgot your password. The board will send you the password to the email you have logged in the system. :)

Greg J
Sun 13 April 2008, 20:15
Thanks Heath,

My other computers have the remember password box check, so I never use it. I'll try that.

Greg J
Sun 13 April 2008, 20:23
Got it. Thanks again Heath.

domino11
Mon 14 April 2008, 06:36
Greg,
No problem. :)