PDA

View Full Version : Mug Shots - Who's Who - A Rogue's Gallery

Gerald D
Thu 17 January 2008, 11:53
Okay, keep getting suggestions for "avatars" to be included on posts - that's not going to happen. Last pic shows why . . . . .

(Deleted)

Add your own mugshot(s) to this thread if you want. . . . .

Alan_c
Thu 17 January 2008, 14:04
Oh right, that last pic must be when you saw the price the local agents want to charge for stepper motors...

Gerald D
Fri 18 January 2008, 02:05
Unless I get some company here over the weekend, this thread goes out the window...*insert pic 2 here*

Alan_c
Fri 18 January 2008, 03:31
All right, let the saffers lead the way.

J.R. Hatcher
Fri 18 January 2008, 04:38
Couldn't resist showing what being a good guy can get you, well that and robbing the cradle, had her over 40 years. Obviously nothing to do with good looks on my part:p

(Both now passed away - posted 2013)

Gerald D
Fri 18 January 2008, 09:12
Okay, you can only post in this thread if you show yourself :)

(Some posts have been deleted)

cbboatworks
Fri 18 January 2008, 09:26
OK this is the only picture I can find of me. it is Me and the family. my son was still in the oven at the time of photo.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e39/cbboatworks/Familypiceaster.jpg

Hohenzollern Bridge, Cologne, Germany

GregA
Fri 18 January 2008, 09:57
http://lh6.google.com/gregalb/R4-6GYhdjOI/AAAAAAAAAcA/nOiraakLK4g/s800/DSCF0178.JPG

I just went over the last six months of photos and since I'm always the one with the camera... This is literally the only photo I have of myself.

Gerald D
Fri 18 January 2008, 11:00
Who is the guy standing behind you Greg?

Gene, I think those flowers originally come from here? (Agapanthus africanus albus?)

Greg J
Fri 18 January 2008, 13:14
Ahh, geeez. I'll find a suitable picture and post this weekend.

GregA
Fri 18 January 2008, 14:45
Um, My son would be the one surfing, I am the one with the teapot issue;)

Doug_Ford
Fri 18 January 2008, 16:14
It's good to get to see what everyone looks like. Thanks Gerald.

Roadkill_321
Fri 18 January 2008, 16:44
Here's a pic of Me and my girlfriend Vivian. I guess you could say I have a face that's just made for radio.:D

Greg J
Fri 18 January 2008, 18:56
How is everyone getting such small file sizes when downloading pictures. :confused:

Gerald answered this question awhile back, and I get my files below the 195kb limit, but it seems everyone else is in the 10, 20, 30kb range and such great quality. I can get to a small file size, but the quality is poor.

I have downloaded Irfanview (Gerald's recommendation), and I have photo deluxe.

My original pictures are starting out in the 1 to 2 Mb range.

Sorry guys, but this has been one of the reasons why I haven't posted more pictures. :o

cbboatworks
Fri 18 January 2008, 19:13
I use www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com)

Doug_Ford
Fri 18 January 2008, 19:56
I use Paint. Go to image-->resize/skew. Then I keep reducing the vertical and horizontal sizes by equal percentages until I hit 650X500 pixels.

Greg J
Fri 18 January 2008, 20:30
Thanks Guys, but this is what happens when I reduce to get a small file size. If I reduce to 650 x 500 pixels, the file size is above the 195kb limit.

I'll try again tomorrow. Off to the shop.

Gerald D
Fri 18 January 2008, 20:36
Greg, mail me that pic (gerald@mechmate.com) and I will walk you through Irfanview's sequence.

stefanv
Fri 18 January 2008, 20:43
http://www.maximasa.com/images/StefanV.jpg

It's me! Stefan, Haiti.

gmessler
Fri 18 January 2008, 23:45
Alright alright.....guess I'll have to post as well... I'll post in the morning toooo many beerzzzz tonight.

Greg J. Here is the FREE microsoft power toy image resizer program I use for real quick adjustment. Once installed all you have to do is right click on a pic and choose the size...That quick. It only works for XP not Vista though.
Very easy Very quick.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Does the Ballet dance video count?

Gerald D
Sat 19 January 2008, 00:08
Yes GregM, the famous video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0RN_C-iosU) counts :)

sailfl
Sat 19 January 2008, 03:15
Lets Go Sailing!

javeria
Sat 19 January 2008, 04:19
I don't have the mustache now! The picture is a bit old! my son is now almost 2! and my wife does get angry over me lesser and lesser :D

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 19 January 2008, 06:05
Hi there,

I am new here, but are still doing my RESEARCH to build my own MM.
This is me last year when I spend a year on Marion Island, the research base in the Southern Ocean.

Have a look at http://marion.sanap.org.za for more info.

Gerald D
Sat 19 January 2008, 06:24
At this stage we can deduce that folk with beards are South African (or are radio wannabe's)

bleeth
Sat 19 January 2008, 11:36
By way of introduction: "This is me!"
Dave

gmessler
Sat 19 January 2008, 15:15
Riding the gantry.

grandpi
Sat 19 January 2008, 15:58
Hi Guys,

happy new year 2008... with the Mechmate.
Thanks for your help.

I present you Gaspard, a future Mechmate user.

Greg J
Sat 19 January 2008, 19:18
Thanks Gerald. The links didn't come in the email, but I've got it figured out. 50kb for this one. I'll start posting more pictures.

Looking at all the pictures, this has got to be the most respectable group of individuals I've ever been associated with. :)

Art
Sun 20 January 2008, 09:32
Another day in the shop

Robert M
Sun 20 January 2008, 10:21
Sunday and still need to work... in shorts since it’s only -15C ( 5F ), w/a nice sunny blue sky. They say with the wind factor it's +/-, -26C …brrrrr )

And this one, last Thursday for my older son birthday !

Amicalement, Robert

domino11
Mon 21 January 2008, 12:48
At this stage we can deduce that folk with beards are South African

Gerald,
What is the connection with beards and South Africa?

Gerald D
Wed 23 January 2008, 01:27
Heath, I think most of us are lazy.

(I don't know if we have more beards than others - it just seemed that way looking at the above pics :))

Alan_c
Wed 23 January 2008, 01:59
No No No, not lazy, just too busy, you know reading forums, thinking about designs, dreaming about the finished product etc etc. (well thats my story anyway and I'm sticking to it)

Gerald D
Wed 23 January 2008, 03:03
Ja Alan, your beard is high-maintenance, so we can't accuse you of laziness. I dumped my razor in 1979.

Doug_Ford
Wed 23 January 2008, 07:08
I just figured the South Africans were more manly than the rest of us.:D

domino11
Wed 23 January 2008, 07:10
Gerald, Alan,
If I could look as distinguished as you fellows with a beard, I would start one tomorrow. :)

revved_up
Wed 06 February 2008, 09:12
My motors have been delivered so its time to come out of hiding. Not yet time for a personal build thread yet, this will be a slooooow build.

For those of you that are curious this was taken atop of the Pontiac Silverdome.

DocTanner
Sat 09 February 2008, 16:06
Hi,

My name is Donald Ross

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/2/3917595769.jpg

And these are the kind of things that happen when you have too much time on your hands

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/2/3918012480.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7646981)

Gerald D
Sat 09 February 2008, 23:49
Donald is rarely seen around around here, but he holds a very special place (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8) in this community. Check the date on that test post - he was the very first guy to get a MechMate cutting outside of my own premises. And from the fly on his table, he is still quietly getting on with it. Of course, he has a nice advantage over the rest of you guys - a decent beard! :)

sailfl
Sun 10 February 2008, 02:40
Donald,

Thanks for being the first. You need a new bug guy, he missed one of those Texas bugs. Nice work!!!!!!!!!

Greg J
Sun 10 February 2008, 06:40
Don,

I have to second that THANKS. Your input and posts were a tremendous help for myself.

Thank You.
Greg

ekdenton
Thu 14 February 2008, 13:46
Me and my middle son at my daughters College graduation. I also have two other boys. Iv'e been mainly a steel worker most of my life, just been interested in making guitars and tube amplifiers and other wood work the last 5 years. Nice to see who I am chatting with. Thanks for the photos and thank Gerald D for the website.

stefanv
Mon 10 March 2008, 20:42
What about this little reunion :D:D:D ?

http://www.maximasa.com/images/orlando031008.jpg

Orlando March 10, 2008

smreish
Mon 10 March 2008, 22:38
Stefan,
Thanks for a great visit. I hope you weren't disappointed walking around all the "off cut trash" piles around the machine. She has been busy lately.
NOTE: I wonder if we all fit with the MM crowd, we don't have beards :)
Back to cutting.

Gerald D
Mon 10 March 2008, 22:57
That photo needs to go on the front page of the sales brochure! :D

stefanv
Mon 10 March 2008, 23:48
I’m must say, I’m amazed with the simplicity and the efficiency of the Mechmate. Seeing it hard at work, I’m sure there is no CNC table in its price range or even 5 times more, that’s more accurate and stronger. This thing cuts plywood like butter! (as long as the bit is sharp that is :) ) Sean, Nils, thanks again for sharing your experience with me!

Gerald, I'm proud to be part of the Mechmate family! You are right up there with guys like Art Fenerty and Mariss Freimanis making professional cnc possible for people on a budget.

Can’t wait to get back to my build!

Stefan :D

sailfl
Tue 11 March 2008, 01:29
Stefan,

It was great to meet you.

I think I can speak for the three of us when I say we are looking forward to the first MM gathering here in Orlando or some place else. It was great to share back grounds and to talk MechMate.

Thanks Gerald!

Greg J
Tue 11 March 2008, 05:43
Great photo guys.

When Ed comes and see's my machine, we'll post pictures of the "Southern Rockies" branch.

Looking forward to the MM conference. Hint, hint. :)

stefanv
Tue 11 March 2008, 20:42
Gerald, you want all of us to come to South Africa? Or can we offer you a ticket to US? :rolleyes:

Gerald D
Wed 12 March 2008, 12:31
You would prefer it to come here! ;)

Hugo Carradini
Mon 07 April 2008, 09:26
Hello friends.
Nice to meet you all.

sailfl
Thu 17 July 2008, 23:46
Gerald,

Nils is having fun and Sean is also. Laser parts from Joe.

sailfl
Thu 07 August 2008, 00:37
Yesterday, turned out to be a most interesting day.

We turned the table right side up and I started to drill the aluminum so we can marry aluminum and channel for the rails.

The interesting part was after I had packed the truck and I pushed the passenger sit back. About 3 weeks ago, I bought a 2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab. Has a small space behind the Driver and passenger sit for two very small people or for storage. Very nice White truck with grey interior. In very good shape out and in side.

That pushing of the sit back did not sit well with the rattler that was sitting on the floor behind the passenger seat. That is MM Blue rattler spray can! It along with 3 other cans were in a partially closed plastic shopping bag. One of them got pierced by the seat mechanism when I pushed the seat back. The next thing I hearding was the hissing of the can.

It took me a few seconds to associate the hissing sound to the can. I quickly grabbed the bag and pulled them out of the car because I could see blue paint. After removing the bag, I looked inside to see how much damage there was. There was blue paint in many places. There was blue paint on the outside and all over my arms, hands and body. There was also a large gabage size spot on the concrete.

I quickly ran inside and picked up a large container of Minieral Spirits and started cleaning up. Sean's associate brought me a can of Acetone.

I was surprised that I was able to clean the paint off of the inside and outside of the Truck. When I got home, I removed the passenger seat from the truck and continued to find more paint but I was able to clean it up.

It wasn't until I looked in the mirror did I see my face.

Lesson learned: If you are going to carry rattler cans in the inside of your vehicle besure they are safe from puncturing.

Gerald D
Thu 07 August 2008, 00:58
A reminder, this thread limited for posting to folk who have put pictures on here. They don't have to look as scary (silence of the lambs?) as the one above :)

Greg J
Thu 07 August 2008, 06:11
Speaking of rattle cans: A friend blew out the front window and dash of his truck a couple of weeks ago. He had left a rattle can of window cleaner on the front seat. It's summer time here where the ambient temperature is in the low 100's F. Obviously, with the windows rolled up, the inside temperature is much greater. It would have done serious personal injury if he had been in the drivers seat.

sailfl
Thu 07 August 2008, 17:18
Gas under pressure can be a scary thing.

I resent one scary guy telling another he is scary but I am in good company so I will take it as a compliment. I got my drivers license renewed today and that is one scary picture. They replace my good picture with some old guy.

ekdenton
Fri 08 August 2008, 11:48
A reminder, this thread limited for posting to folk who have put pictures on here. They don't have to look as scary (silence of the lambs?) as the one above :)

Good thing it wasn't the red paint like I used or it would be a really scary picture:D:D

hennie
Sat 09 August 2008, 07:51
Since this is a place where one puts your face on here is mine with my other blue toy next pic will be of another Ford Tracktor blue toy.As one can see there is a blue Ford on the left and the white Ford bakkie is getting some blue stripes soon still looking for some wild designs.Isn`t blue a nice colour!:D

kaartman
Sun 10 August 2008, 07:02
Hello MechMate Clan

Lex
Sun 24 August 2008, 11:48
In true South African tradition. A Beard! (minus the swimming pool):D
I asked the family years ago: Who will be responsible for cleaning the pool?
Still waiting for a answer.;)

Marc Shlaes
Sun 24 August 2008, 12:05
Johan,

Don't worry about the answer. They will tell you what you want to hear. :mad: Believe me! I have a pool and guess who does everything. :eek: After 10 years I still hear "I don't know how to..."

:(

Lex
Sun 24 August 2008, 22:42
Marc,
I regret the decision every summer but is to proud to admit it!:D

Gerald D
Sun 24 August 2008, 23:13
Er, Marc, this thread is closed for folk who havn't shown their "mugs" - we'll give you some time to fix that . . . . :D

Marc Shlaes
Tue 26 August 2008, 22:23
Busted! :p Gerald, nothing gets by you! When I typed that, I waited with baited breath! I take a lot of pictures but I am not in many. I hate that side of the camera:mad:. I waited a couple of days for a bit of whiskers. Thought I would fit in a bit better.:D

Incidentally, I made that table in the picture. It is made of molded concrete in the style invented by Buddy Rhodes. www.buddyrhodes.com (http://www.buddyrhodes.com) It is 60 inches (~150 cm.) square, about 2 inches (~5 cm.) thick and the top alone weights about 400 lbs. (~180 kg.) The base is made from 3 inch (~75 mm.) steel angle, painted with black car paint and bolted together. It weighs about 200 lbs. (~90 kg.).

The whole thing is solid as a rock (wait, it is a rock) and I love it. It seats 8 comfortably. My neighbors think it is a solid hunk of marble. (Shhh! Don’t tell them.)

Johan, I thought about finally typing this because I just got done taking care of the pool and it is time to go to bed. (Naturally, the rest of the family has been in bed for quite some time.) That is the point I was making in the earlier post. Oh well. :confused:

Lex
Tue 26 August 2008, 23:07
Good to see you at last buddy!:) I like your table.
You will have to get some extra help on that pool so that you can spend more time building the blue machine. I know a pool is not a major maintenance job in our country anymore. Kobus should be able to give you tips on that. Just post us another picture in a couple of months time to show us your full beard :D:cool:

hennie
Tue 26 August 2008, 23:16
If you have trouble with a pool change it into a koi pond much more relaxing:)

Gerald D
Tue 26 August 2008, 23:51
A summary:

J.R. Hatcher
Wed 27 August 2008, 03:31
I was beginning to think Marc wasn't going to post a picture of himself in fear of someone making a link to his other picture (the one in the post office) :eek: :D ;)

servant74
Wed 27 August 2008, 20:49
A little pix from Tennessee. Just call me Jack.

Greg J
Wed 27 August 2008, 21:05
Nice beard Jack :)

Welcome.

Gerald D
Wed 27 August 2008, 22:50
Welcome Jack.

I see another red MM coming up, to join ED's :D

hennie
Wed 27 August 2008, 23:24
What is this thing about the beards?:) seems it is becoming a trademark of guys building MM:)HI Jack!

sailfl
Thu 28 August 2008, 03:24
Hennie

9 out of 26 is not a trend, it is just being lazy!

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 28 August 2008, 04:31
Some of us CAN....:p

hennie
Thu 28 August 2008, 06:07
Next time someone starts their build it must start like this "I am new to this forum orderd steel ,motors,parts and started growing a beard":)there is no time for shaving once you start building.
Kobus I can also but my children don`t like it they get scared of the oom.:D

servant74
Thu 28 August 2008, 22:29
For me the beard thing came when I went on vacation one year with the family.
About 19 years ago. I just got lazy and didn't shave. Wife like it, so it stayed.

Now my kids (20 and 23) don't remember me without one!

I think of shaving it off occasionally, but then it sounds like to much work anymore. ;)

YRD
Sat 11 October 2008, 22:07
Hi guys,

This is my version welder. :D

I am a motorcyclist and work with insurance for motorcycles.

If you have any questions, I'm the guy on the left. :eek:

The right to my wife Lu, also rider and we work together (not in MM)

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 12 October 2008, 00:27
Nice boney's (bikes) I have been a biker all my life but never got to own a Harley. I am in the process of restoring 2 x old (1981) Suzuki GS 1000 G Shaft driven bikes....one for myself and one for my son. Back in my day's when I was young and beautifull I did own one of these bikes....now I am not that young any more...

PEU
Sun 12 October 2008, 07:34
This is me in last year new years eve party

http://peu.net/mechmate/FOTOPEU2

Little bio: I'm 40 years old, wifey and 7 years old kid and one more due in less than a month (around end october/2008) work and live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Some of my webpages will give and idea about what I like to do and my work:
www.peu.net (http://www.peu.net)
www.syil.com.ar (http://www.syil.com.ar)
www.neoca.com.ar (http://www.neoca.com.ar)
www.elasadodelosviernes.com.ar (http://www.elasadodelosviernes.com.ar)

cheers!

YRD
Sun 12 October 2008, 07:46
Hola hermano.

Mais um barbudo :D ( More a bearded )

Os brasileiros adoram a carne argentina, talvez a melhor do mundo.
(The brazilians love the meat from Argentina, perhaps the best in the world)

Kobus, as you build your MM fast as soon end its Suzy.;)

gfc62
Mon 13 October 2008, 10:19
While I'm not an active contributor on the forums at least I can contribute to the US beard ratio...

Gordon (gfc62)

maxman
Wed 15 October 2008, 07:37
Keepin up the African Beard Quota.......2308

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 23 October 2008, 05:19
Be aware you Mech Mate Builders Big Brother :D is Watching you and he intends inspecting each and every MM being build. The good news is he is light on drinks and did not eat much, but we had a nice chat during the BRAAI.

Lex
Thu 23 October 2008, 22:57
We need to talk a little bit about culture today!:D
Blue looks nice on a machine:cool: but it looks 'exhaust product' on a Rugby Jersey!!:eek:

Gerald D
Wed 24 December 2008, 11:03
Hey, it is time to see some of the new faces around here . . . . Xmas hats are optional. :)

Remember the rule of this thread:

You can only post in this thread if you have already shown your picture. :)

sailfl
Wed 24 December 2008, 11:08
I was thinking the same thing Gerald but I couldn't find the thread to update. Yea lets see how more beared guys there are! If you got blue paint on you that is even better.

MetalHead
Wed 24 December 2008, 18:00
Well here is me in 06 while in Colorado's Great Sand Dunes National Park. Would love to live out there someday. Yup got the Technical Goatee. I am a computer guy by trade. Metal is my hobby.

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 24 December 2008, 23:46
And another beard.....:D

hennie
Thu 25 December 2008, 07:37
And a boep!!:D

vishnu
Thu 25 December 2008, 10:15
Copied from another thread: :)

Here is a pic of my buddy Irfan on the right & me on the left with irfans machine on the background at Bangalore. He has already completed the controllers and i have just started my kitchen table project, will post pis shortly.

vishnu
Thu 25 December 2008, 10:35
Its me a photo taken at Jog Falls last New Year eve on a trip to Goa.

Jayson
Thu 25 December 2008, 23:01
Hey, it is time to see some of the new faces around here . . . . Xmas hats are optional. :)

Remember the rule of this thread:

You can only post in this thread if you have already shown your picture. :)

Well thats just stupid... I would like to see you stop me posting without a picture

Hey how did that get there :confused:

Jayson

Gerald D
Thu 25 December 2008, 23:23
Well, if you look at the average S.African on this thread, and then at the average Aussie, you can figure why they are generally so much better at sport than us. . . . . . except for cricket & rugby! :D

Marc Shlaes
Fri 26 December 2008, 07:45
Hey,

No whiskers! What is up with that?

hennie
Sat 27 December 2008, 07:39
Copied from another thread:

Had a general MechMate meeting at the home of MechMate Brakpan.Had a nice short visit at Kobus.

jbmclain
Sat 27 December 2008, 21:06
It nice to see some faces of people I sent parts to.:)
So, I thought its time for you to see mine.

Rad Racer
Sat 27 December 2008, 23:25
Here's a photo of me and my wife, another of the whole family and one of me on my project bike.

Sorry no beard, just ain't in my jeans:p

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 28 December 2008, 02:43
Imagine Hennie with a moustache !!:rolleyes:

hennie
Sun 28 December 2008, 06:10
Het Moe..e lekker gelag:D. This only happens in Brakpan

vishnu
Sun 28 December 2008, 10:48
Hennie you look great with that vintage moustache :cool:

gmessler
Sun 28 December 2008, 10:53
Hey Wayne,

That fountain looks like Buckingham fountain in Chicago.?

No beard....Careful....look what happened to Hennie.:eek:

Rad Racer
Sun 28 December 2008, 20:10
Yeap, the picture was taken in Chicago....we were visiting my son.

kanankeban
Tue 30 December 2008, 15:44
Ok...this is me...
First Picture is my Family...

Second is me on Sundays...

And Third is me while not working...:D

gmessler
Tue 30 December 2008, 16:48
Great seeing you Hector.

Problem is... everytime I see you're post I'll be thinking of your last photo.:)

domino11
Tue 30 December 2008, 17:16
Ok Here goes, One more for the Mug Shots.

jhiggins7
Sat 24 January 2009, 19:32
John . . . . . he's smiling because we've already unloaded his steel. . . . .

Bill . . . . . . don't know why he's smiling, still have to unload at his house

I don't know if these two are going to qualify...NO FACIAL HAIR!:( But, hey, full heads of hair up top. Does that count for anything?:D

Regards,
John

kaartman
Sun 15 February 2009, 10:22
I have been playing today with the MechMate, did my first cut today that I designed in TurboCad, Then we had the naming ceremony tonight...... nice isn`t it
Regards

kaartman
Mon 16 February 2009, 06:55
Kobus I had a busy few months behind me, first my 21 days vacation in SA was cut short to nine, been in Pakistan end December-January,Philipines beginning Feb, (18th honeymoon) and next week Turkmenistan. The good looking man on Kobus's left is my father, I could not wait to show him what the MechMate is all about
Regards

domino11
Tue 24 February 2009, 21:37
Had a real nice visit with my buddy Greg yesterday afternoon, here is a pic of us and the machine. Greg on the left and Heath on the right. Big blue thing is of course the Mechmate! :)

Rad Racer
Tue 10 March 2009, 21:32
The picture is me dressed to work in a cold garage.....I am finally getting used to working with gloves on:rolleyes:

Rad Racer
Sun 15 March 2009, 18:37
. . .My brother . . . . Dave (on right)

riesvantwisk
Thu 28 May 2009, 14:37
Last weekend we did some grinding and tomorrow we will do a bit more on the constructions.
We are about the order the laser cut parts also... We do need to change some drawings because some materials do have different dimensions.

Anybody knows a free CAD tool for teh mac, to modify the drawings?

Ries

http://www.rvantwisk.nl/~systemcms/_DSC3344.jpg

sailfl
Sun 14 June 2009, 03:44
MechMates,

It has been some time since any one has posted to this thread. We have such a diverse group of builders, it is nice to see what you look like.

So share your Mugs if you will!!!

sailfl
Tue 23 June 2009, 03:17
Last week, Jimmy from Pensacola stopped by to see my machine. He was in town with family visiting the Mouse that is Mickey Mouse.

We had an opportunity to visit with Sean and see one of the foam forms he is cutting. Top secret stuff so we couldn't take any pictures and had to sign 20 pages of Non Disclosure Agreements.

We also had an opportunity to visit Skycraft Surplus.

Here is the proof he was here.

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 24 June 2009, 07:19
I think Jimmy will have an easy build...look at him all prepared with book and pen in hand.

domino11
Wed 24 June 2009, 08:12
If he had a camera with him it would be easier still! Pictures are worth a thousand words, so they say. :)

javeria
Wed 24 June 2009, 09:39
I am a bit surprised - nobody commented on the picture from Ries -

they- I think are the masked folks from some movie! :D

Gerald D
Wed 24 June 2009, 10:25
Irfan, Ries was trained in the Netherlands, and there the people religiously wear their ear, eye and lung protection. The results are here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy).

fredjr
Sat 27 June 2009, 06:06
Hello Mechmate
Not much has happened on my end of the build lately. But did get to Orlando and meet Nils and machine number #12 up close. It was a treat to see one work. Nils and Sean did a good job building it.Nils even made me a souvenir.Better than any thing from the mouse world. We got over to Seans place to meet him and machine #5. Got to go into the super sercet laboratory but could not take any pictures. The picture is of Nils and Sean outside of the door. What you can not see is the armed guards with the dark suits and sun glasses. Nils and I did get over to skycraft surplus. What a neat place. We did get some lunch in. Nils is a cheap date. Subway sandwich ,tuna footlong,three scoops instead of four. I really enjoyed my visit. Very nice of them to take time out of there day for me. They have did this several times for other builders. Thank you guys very much.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv80/fredjr45/DadsParts013-1.jpg

Doug_Ford
Sat 01 August 2009, 21:02
This past Thursday, I met the "man who has it all."

Last week, I drove down to Pensacola, Florida to see my parents and stopped by to meet Jimmy and check on how his build is going. He's the handsome guy in the blue shirt. While I was there, he showed me around his shop and I'm green with envy. Jimmy has every tool most of us have only dreamed of owning. I can't remember everything but off the top of my head, I remember seeing a metal lathe, vertical mill, plasma cutter, english wheel, sheetmetal knotcher, sheetmetal stretcher (and shrinker), MIG\TIG welder (a big Miller), two sandblasting cabinets (one shop-built 8 foot long double- window cabinet that was of first class quality), a soda blaster, oxy-acetylene tanks, a powder coating system, and the crowning touch - AN ENGINE DYNAMOMETER!!!!!! Oh yeah, and even though I didn't meet her, he must have the best wife in the world.

While I was there, I also met Jimmy's son Eddie. Both of them are true Southern Gentlemen. Some of the nicest, most modest guys I've ever met.

His huge sandblaster is in the picture behind us.

Rad Racer
Mon 17 August 2009, 09:49
Not bad for a weekend:D

Lex
Thu 24 September 2009, 03:53

" An older Luke Skywalker?" :D

The boot is a nice piece of technology. Air valves are fitted to the sides for pumping up a internal bag. This clamps the foot forward to immobilize the angle joint.

This injury and the painful one to my chest muscles are going to have a effect on my completion of the machine. It could be weeks.

sailfl
Wed 07 October 2009, 03:29
Members,

It has been some time since we have had any MUGS added to the list of brave members. It is not a requirement but with all the new machines being completed, it is nice to put a face to the member. So get your camera out and snap a shot. If I can put my blue spotted mug up and it didn't bring down the site, I am sure we can handle your mug.

gixi
Wed 07 October 2009, 08:23
Wow !!! New York is an impressive place to visit. This trip was planned and replanned for too many times so finally we went there. Very, very impressive ! Of course one week is not enough but it's a start... Next year Las Vegas !:)
In the last picture is my wife, associate (she's also a lawyer) and everything :).

Robert M
Thu 08 October 2009, 03:58
Marius .... A lawyer ! :eek:
Hope you don't get served :D

domino11
Thu 08 October 2009, 07:06
Robert,
Marius is a lawyer as well I believe. :)

lumberjack_jeff
Wed 11 November 2009, 17:41
Here are some photos of a boat model project we are currently working on.

The plans came from a well known marine architect, we are currently building quarter-scale trade show display models of his 16' outboard runabout, with the anticipation of offering kits (of both the model and the fullsize boat) starting early in the new year.

I'll update you with more when I can. :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lumberjack_jeff/IMGP0425.jpg
Here I am putting together the assembly jig for aligning the bulkheads. (the fullsize boat will have a similar jig, just bigger)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lumberjack_jeff/IMGP0457.jpg
Here's the boat with a couple of hull panels stitched to (and around) the bulkheads. Building a stitch-and-glue boat is a bit like reassembling a banana from the peels.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lumberjack_jeff/IMGP0433.jpg
Here's an assembled model kit showing how the panels are stitched together and the epoxy fillets are applied. This model was actually made first, the one shown in the photos above will be completely finished. This one will be left as-is.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lumberjack_jeff/IMGP0434.jpg

There you go Nils. :D

The photos are primarily for the purpose of creating an illustrated kit assembly manual. We want to make our kits as foolproof as possible, since I volunteered to take care of the after-sale support. :o

Sergio-k
Tue 08 December 2009, 19:06
OK i'm Back for good now.
I'm a Captain in a private yacht and i just had my last trip for the owner as he headed back home for winter and he's going to come back next summer.
So i have all the time for my MM now.:D:D:D

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/sergiohelen/Boat.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/sergiohelen/CptOnDckMM.jpg

Though my skill in electronics is very low, i did my homework, study the forums and this is what i came up with :

My control box will nest my PMDX-125 BOB and 4 230V Drives giving power to my PK296AE-SG7.2 OM motors.
The motors inductance wired half coil is 1.5 so 32 x √1.5 = 39 Volt and their current in unipolar is 3A

I'm planning on building my own PS so here is my plan:
Torroidal transformer :400VA with 2 outputs of 28V 7.1A and 9v 1A
Rectifier 25A for converting the 28VAC to 39VDCC
Capacitors 3x 10000mf 63V Connected parallel.

The 9V output i want to convert it to 12VDC for
powering my proximity switches so i need your advise for choosing
the rectifier and the capacitor.:confused::confused::confused:

Also i want to ask if my 7.1A output is adequate for my PK296AE-SG7.2 motors ?
Considered that their max current is 3A x 4 = 12 A but reduced at 67% according to Mariss ( http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2324 )
is 8A. :confused:

Thx

Allan
Wed 09 December 2009, 04:40
Thank you for welcoming me. I am testing to see:

Whether I can attach photos
What the quality and size of an uploaded pic is

This is me on Sundays and me on weekdays
and pics of part of my hobby shop

sailfl
Sat 12 December 2009, 04:21
Serigo,

Nice run about. Is that a 75' run about with a little dingy? Tough job you have.

Allan, Nice set of tools.

sailfl
Sun 13 December 2009, 17:26
I had a vistor at the begining of December, just forgot to post Regnar photo.

It was nice to meet Russell and to talk MM. We dropped in at Skycraft which is a part of the visit to my machine.

Regnar
Sun 13 December 2009, 18:57
Nils, It was nice to meet you and check out your machine. After finishing some Christmas shopping I came home and started ordering parts. Already have the laser cut parts and sent out for a few quotes for all the steel. To bad I leave for the next few weeks because I am ready to build.

Did you ever figure out your touch plate?

Sergio-k
Mon 21 December 2009, 17:04
Well it's not a tough job BUT i haven't had summer vacations in Greece with my family since.......damn i cannot remember :D
The boat is a Ferretti Navetta 26 Meters.

Sergio

Gerald D
Mon 21 December 2009, 20:47
For other guys wanting to discuss anything in this thread, just realise we have a special little rule here: You can only post in this thread if you have shown a picture of yourself. :D

Claudiu
Thu 24 December 2009, 03:23
Ok...it`s time to step out of the shadow. That`s my family and me.
Happy Holydays to everyone here and a happy new Year ! :)

some other family members....

sailfl
Thu 24 December 2009, 05:50
Good thing you have the fish because the watch dog is cutting serious ZZZZZZZZ.

Sergio-k
Thu 24 December 2009, 11:37
Good thing you have the fish because the watch dog is cutting serious ZZZZZZZZ.

Nils
:D:D:D:D:D:D
i laughed my heart out !!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Travish
Sat 02 January 2010, 15:15
Joe has all his parts to get the motors turning. I'm amazed at how little wirering will be need using the Gecko G540. Here are some pics of the start of his board. It is wired to just be funtional to get it working, then things will be cleaned up and mounted.

I'm pleased to be able to share my help I have gotten from the forum.

Cheers!

riesvantwisk
Mon 04 January 2010, 15:13
Here is a quick update from my end.

After a 6 day holiday in Florida in the beginning of Dec and some holiday and family time, I could manage the squeeze in two full days of working.
Last week I welded plates for the feet aswell as finalizing welds on various places that where initially some tack welds and we are getting ready to have the whole system to be painted!

I am starting to be more excited about it, because now it finally will look like a real MM :)

Oo... and still, my welding is not as good as I would like it to be, but I am having fun with it.

In the mean time at home I have been playing a lot with EMC2. I have been re-compiling a Linux kernel with just the modules and settings that I needed to, aswel as compiling RTAI 3.7 and the latest version of EMC2. I used Debian lenny as my base system and installed xfce4 as my desktop environment leaving me with a much faster and responsive system that looks very appealing. I need to find some cool looking mechmate colored background for my desktop and login screen....

In EMC I set my pulse frequency to 40Khz, which seems to be plenty enough as far as I can see and at the same time I can plug in USB stick, do network communications and such. I have been even tempted to do some programming around Q-CAD, but first I need to finish the machine.

attached a picture of me and Jairo and the machine in it's state of last week.

Ries

jehayes
Fri 08 January 2010, 20:18
Here is a photo to satisfy Gerald's call for pics (but I'm not proud of it:)) I included the other one just for fun, not sure where I got it.

Joe

Drad98_98
Mon 18 January 2010, 19:55
Finished off the Y car this weekend, here are a cpl pics

domino11
Fri 19 February 2010, 07:19
Mike,
You have had your welcomes to the forum, now I think it is time to post a mugshot or two. :):eek::D Yeah I know Im stirring the pot a little here. :cool:

MetalHead
Fri 19 February 2010, 07:41
I am this fat guy.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19426&postcount=88

:D

domino11
Fri 19 February 2010, 08:00
Gee, must have missed that one. :)

Robert M
Fri 19 February 2010, 09:44
Not fair & not updated MIKE …that was +/- 4yrs ago….surly the goatee must be whiter by now :p :D

bradm
Fri 19 February 2010, 09:54
After a couple weeks of dealing with us, it's probably all white, with patches torn out :)

domino11
Fri 19 February 2010, 10:02
Robert, Brad,
Now who is stirring the pot? .. :):D:eek:

MetalHead
Fri 19 February 2010, 14:23
Grayer and Fatter :D .

javeria
Fri 19 February 2010, 19:10
Mike you need to do justice to us, we'd like to know ya better

see what G' did , " by posting some of his goddy snaps in the first post http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7861&postcount=1

we'd like to feel how you look when you are happy, angry, sad, frustrated, tearing your hair out :D

I always used to imagine one of the pictures of G' based on the words - lines he posted - and surely his emotion in words matched with altleast one of that pics he's posted :)

Gerald D
Fri 19 February 2010, 20:53
8656<== Before................After? ==>8655

KenC
Tue 02 March 2010, 22:38
孔子日: 有朋自远方来, 不亦乐乎

(Confucius said : with visiting friend from a great distance, the joy is unmeasurable.)

Picked Jan De Ruyter from his hotel about 2:30pm, brought him around Pasar Rd where I found most of my electrical & electronics stuff. Gave him a whirl wind tour around my neighboring ultra light industry village in Klang, then proceed to my lair. When the heat got too much of us, we went off to a cafe for a long chat then finished off with a long chat over diner in a local eating den.

Its been a pleasure having him.

smreish
Fri 09 July 2010, 13:36
Today, Pablo while on holiday, drove the 5 hours from Miami to cut a few things on Nils' MM and shop at SkyCraft. It was a pleasure to meet another worldy Mechmater! I think Nils and Sean have quite the visitor record now.

Thanks for the nice visit and chat.

Bien dia.
Sean

(Sean is taking the picture - but you all know what I look like :) and Nils looks really cool in his vintage MechMate T-shirt...we are all branded users here in Florida.

MetalHead
Fri 09 July 2010, 14:35
Did I mention how freakin AWESOME this group is !!!! :D

guerd87
Fri 09 July 2010, 23:45
Relaxing on my day off at the park (Misses and 2 x kids not present in photo)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/guerd87/26125_10150145898855541_825565540_1.jpg

How I roll on the weekends (really, that same day I rolled the Cruiser over)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/guerd87/24870_10150150574850136_825690135_1.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m22/guerd87/24870_10150150574845136_825690135_1.jpg

KenC
Sat 10 July 2010, 22:13
Brings back old memories of my old job...

PEU
Sat 10 July 2010, 22:28
Today, Pablo while on holiday, drove the 5 hours from Miami to cut a few things on Nils' MM and shop at SkyCraft. It was a pleasure to meet another worldy Mechmater! I think Nils and Sean have quite the visitor record now.

Thanks for the nice visit and chat.

Bien dia.
Sean

(Sean is taking the picture - but you all know what I look like :) and Nils looks really cool in his vintage MechMate T-shirt...we are all branded users here in Florida.

Had a great time with Nils and Sean yesterday, finally I was able to saw a complete mechmate in person and ask a lot of questions

Today we went for lunch with Nils to chat a little longer, It was a real pleasure to meet you guys in person (and the ribs were delicious :) )

I made a little video, will post it when I return home next week

Pablo

hennie
Sun 11 July 2010, 00:11
John that looks like good fun!

Red_boards
Mon 12 July 2010, 04:43
I've been posting a bit, so it's time I introduced myself better.
The first pic is what I plan to do with my Mechmate. I've been cutting these for a few years now on other machines.
The second is the result. The bamboo veneers are for strength.
The third is what I do with them from a trip to Hawaii in 2005.
The fourth is a teaser - old photo from a hike I did with friends from Coffee Bay in the Transkei to the old Natal border in '78. Yes I'm an ex Saffa.
The last is a formal one with my wife. The Mechmate build is racing the next member of the family due in December.

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 12 July 2010, 04:59
Must say you LOOK like a surfer type. ;)

Gerald D
Mon 12 July 2010, 07:52
Still a bit young to have joined this re-union: :)http://www.wavescape.co.za/general/tears-flow-as-ballies-reunite.html

http://www.scenicsouth.co.za/our-communities/lakeside-muizenberg/surfers-corner-reunion-muizenberg-in-the-sixties/

Red_boards
Tue 13 July 2010, 06:49
Gerald,
Gerald,
Ja, a bit young for the ouballie reunion, but a few people I recognise, none the less.
Kobus,
Should have seen me in my Spesiale Taakmag camo! Much prefer boardshorts!

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 13 July 2010, 12:37
:D:D

MetalHead
Sun 15 August 2010, 07:36
Here are shots of Russell (regnar) and Jimmy (fredjr) from this post

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44897&postcount=109

Love to see fellow MM'ers getting machines going !!!

sailfl
Mon 16 August 2010, 17:59
Hey,

How many timies do these two guys get posted in the Mugs section? Is there a reward if they are turned in and where do I turn them in?

Gerald D
Tue 24 May 2011, 04:59
This thread badly needs some new blood!

(and scanning through it on my lunch break brings back some good memories and wondering what has happened to some of the folk. . . . . )

sailfl
Tue 24 May 2011, 05:12
I agree. How about some of the new people that have numbers or newer builders post a photo so we know what you look like.

smreish
Tue 24 May 2011, 05:12
Still here! Your correct Gerald. A lot of machines out there since this was updated. Come on in, the water is fine.

:)

YRD
Tue 24 May 2011, 08:26
I'm here, sir :D

timberlinemd
Tue 24 May 2011, 10:29
Number 66. I'll bite:)

TechGladiator
Sat 29 October 2011, 10:20
So that's me and the new addition to the family a couple months ago. The second picture is a couple hours ago :)..

jehayes
Sat 29 October 2011, 11:43
What a cute baby! Congratulations, thay are a gift from heaven.

Wow! Snow in NJ in October.

TechGladiator
Sat 29 October 2011, 12:16
Joe: Thank you!..

And yes, it's very unusual to get snow in October here. Since I last took that picture a couple hrs ago we have another 5" on the ground. Based on what they are saying on TV there has only been 3 snow storms in NJ in October since 1926, the biggest one being 2.1", well we blew past that with this one. We have about 10" as of right now and counting....

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 29 October 2011, 14:09
Here in New York it is also snowing. Not as heavy but enough to make my last day in the USA a bit difficult.

TechGladiator
Sat 29 October 2011, 14:24
Kobus; Your last day may be extended by another day :). Maybe a little hard leaving the airport. Was this the first time you have seen snow?

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 29 October 2011, 16:20
Hope not. Have to work next week. I have seen snow in Europe when I lived there for 5 years.

MariusL
Sun 30 October 2011, 10:30
I have been on this forum so long and just discovered this thread today. I looked at all the faces and really enjoyed seeing what you all look like.

Well here goes for me too.

jehayes
Sun 30 October 2011, 12:10
Marius: Glad you found us.

While your fish is nice, the baby is cuter (and you can't throw them back)!:D

Joe

TechGladiator
Sun 30 October 2011, 12:28
@Joe: Hahaha. Very true!.:). I am sure my wife feels he was a fish sometimes, specially when he doesn't want to sleep the whole night.

The snow is finally over for a grand total of 16.5", the last record in NJ for an October snowstorm was 2.1". I guess we blew past that!.

kaartman
Sun 30 October 2011, 12:52
Eish.. thats a lot of snow, are you sure it is not dust from cutting white corian?
Hi Marius, nice catch, that look like Witbank Dam

MariusL
Sun 30 October 2011, 13:03
Joe, I agree my fish does not compare to such a cute baby and I surely hope they don't through him back. Just hold out there it gets better as they grow up. Kids become more fun once they start talking.

@Kaartman, no it was on a private water near Carolina. I was invited by one of the owners. The fishing was absolutely great.

marcobc
Mon 30 April 2012, 17:14
I'm not a chimney sweep, this is only a pic when we were making base table :)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/marcobc/19.jpg

Gerald D
Tue 01 May 2012, 08:30
We need some more pictures in this thread!

Remember, you can only post a comment here if you have already showed your face - otherwise, shut up! :)

sailfl
Tue 01 May 2012, 10:44
Gerald,

I think you should have made it a requirement of getting a serial number. Post a mug you get a number.

Alan_c
Tue 01 May 2012, 12:21
And remember its only the machine that needs to be blue, not your face :D

sailfl
Tue 01 May 2012, 17:14
Okay, enough of that!!!!!! :p

smreish
Fri 29 March 2013, 12:57
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1766&stc=1&d=1216360002

Back in the day helping Nil's with #12....must have been early in the day, My shirt is still white!

sailfl
Fri 29 March 2013, 15:30
I would like to see more new people post a picture. It is not a requirement but it is nice to see the faces of the people that you talk to.

Sean did help me with my build. I am glad he was able to help. That seems so long ago with lots of bits used up, with lots of material getting cut and before the rattler can started to leak in the truck. But that is another story.

So share some pictures of you or your animals or both.

parrulho
Fri 29 March 2013, 23:03
OK, I'll take the wave :)

sailfl
Sat 30 March 2013, 03:28
Paulo,

I have been to Vlodrop. You have a very nice country. But I see that you live in the way Southern part of Netherlands. You are closer to FL.

parrulho
Sat 30 March 2013, 06:16
Yes Nils, I live in Curaçao, Caribbean.
I do not sail, yet. I have a dream, is to build an Herreshoff for myself...

digger
Mon 01 April 2013, 15:57
And I will follow the wave. I am the one who is to be blamed for all bad welds. Other guy is Vlad, good friend of mine. MM is not finished yet. Hope I will this summer.

danilom
Wed 03 April 2013, 02:54
And here I am also, this is my friend the Guitar maker on the left and me with ear protection and glasses on the right (they all call me an alien :D )

http://cnc.rs/images/dscn0395%20small.jpg

Andrew_standen
Sat 31 August 2013, 15:44
Just sold the kayak, ran out of room with the addition of the Mechmate

Andrew_standen
Sat 31 August 2013, 15:55
Found a closer photo, I did have hair sometime ago....like 30 or 40 years,
How time flys, just clocked 54 years, two weeks ago.

sailfl
Sat 31 August 2013, 19:02
Andrew,

Nice kayak. Did you build it?

Thanks for posting!

Andrew_standen
Wed 04 September 2013, 11:15
Yes Nils, I did make the kayak from plans purchased from redfish kayaks
Is the "Return" model.
Nice and fast and easy to control in the sea
But had to sell it to make room in the garage for the mechmate.
Regards
Andrew

Mrayhursh
Fri 06 September 2013, 10:52
Wow
I have turned some large pieces but nothing like that. What RPM range do you use?

silverdog
Fri 11 October 2013, 14:31
From left:
Rinaldo - Woodworker
Sergio "silverdog" - Mechmate Player
Claudia - Designer
Luca - Mechmate welder
Leonardo - 2nd welder and Mechmate assistant

sailfl
Fri 11 October 2013, 17:23
Sergio

Thanks for posting your team. It is great to have pictures from around the world.

Lets see more pictures from MM that have not posted a picture.

darren salyer
Thu 20 February 2014, 17:12
Pete (KornerKing) Mai on the left and Darren (MM#101) on the right.
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h367/absolutebasements/Darren_zps2586b958.jpg

lonestaral
Thu 22 May 2014, 02:51
Just me and some lady's.

qorala
Thu 29 May 2014, 11:23
Just me and some lady's.
:-D

hflwaterski
Wed 02 March 2016, 05:45
Fishing in Canada with my youngest son a few years back and another of a musky from an undisclosed location. :D