PDA

View Full Version : Made Jali pulpit for a mosque #33 - Bangalore, India

Pages : [1] 2

javeria
Wed 16 January 2008, 10:10
Starting Afresh, (previous table) (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196)

I present you the laser cut parts of the MAMBA. Cost INR15300 for two sets, One for Manjeet and one for ME.

Thats 15300/39.5=388 USD, ie., for one set 194 USD, the price went up due to the extra parts, Bending yet to be done.

Progress:

1. G203V's purchased
2. 640 OZ 3 motors and 430OZ one motor purchased from keling.
3. Controller box will start soon as Ialready have a BOB from candcnc.com or maybe a self built one with help of driller.
4. PS to be done yet.
5. Most metal in the form of C channels available.
6. Have to purchase the 8 inch wide C-channels yet

Gerald I saw 6 inch C channels 10ft long think I can use them?

Let me know your thoughts

Gerald D
Wed 16 January 2008, 10:56
Hi Irfan, suggest you be patient and get something higher than 6".

javeria
Wed 16 January 2008, 11:31
OK G'

I am gonna buy some new 8" channels.

RGDS
Irfan

Gerald D
Wed 16 January 2008, 11:51
If there is a big price difference, you can put 50 x 50 square tube on top of the 6" channels.

javeria
Wed 16 January 2008, 18:22
Good Idea G'

but what about the thickness of the tube? i doubt if I can tap (thread them) it to get the rails on. I think the max thk pipes are 3.2mm (what I can get)

or we can have a thru bolt, right from the rail thru the free hole in the pipe and in the tapped hole in the C -channel. Let me know your thoughts. The C channels i can get for 3/4 th of the price (by weight) and no transport cost involved.

Cheers.
irfan

gmessler
Wed 16 January 2008, 19:10
Hi Irfan,

What about using your "cut off" from your rails. Like the gantry.

Greg M

javeria
Wed 16 January 2008, 19:44
I really don't know how we can use the cut off from the rails. I would still prefer the pipe idea what G gave as the pipes usually come out straight and are easier to handle, let me go and look at the C channels first! and I think the thru bolt idea is good.

and I still have the left overs from the older project (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196&page=2) to be utilised.

Regards
Irfan

Gerald D
Wed 16 January 2008, 21:06
Irfan, Greg used too few words......:)

When some some guys cut the rails down to 28mm they are left with a long flat bar as scrap. They use this bar as part number 10 20 235 D. He suggested that you clamp the x-rails in the same way as the clamping of the y-rails to the tubes of the gantry.

javeria
Wed 16 January 2008, 22:08
LOL, now I understand!

A long metal flat drilled and tapped to let mount the rail and use the flat as sort of a Nut. A very good idea indeed. Probably I need to study the plans more and more in detail. My loss!

Good ideas!\\

G' then I will arrange for the pipes to be welded and then use this idea, think this is a far better than tapping the heavy C lamp sitting down (too lazy to get the support table made for the C clamp processing :) )

Meanwhile did I ever mention to you guys about my other router, its almost 70% done! Take a look!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=394530#post394530

G' I hope this link is ok here, else you can remove this :)

RGDS
Irfan

Gerald D
Wed 16 January 2008, 23:07
Irfan, I look forward to the day when you have both machines completed and you can give us comparitive results on:
-accuracy
-cut quality
-speed
-cost to build
-cost to maintain (dust resistance)
-etc.

javeria
Thu 17 January 2008, 00:08
Yes G',

It will all be there, I started off that machine in November bcos I got some very good deal on ballscrews (approx INR3000) for X and Y ball screw thats 3000/40=75 usd + another 150USD to service and end machine them. and then I already had the servos and the controller. So could not have let the investment go waste and went on built it.

I am totally worried about dust and how I appreciate the Mechmate.....cause of which the dream of building a Mechmate is going to be a reality soon.

I am hoping to get good speed considering the 625Watts motors it will have on each of its axis.

The X axis is a rolled ball screw and Y and Z precision ground. Have spent around 2500USD on it till now.

Hope both give me good work output soon.

Regards
Irfan

javeria
Wed 06 February 2008, 06:37
HI All,

I am travelling to the states the next weekend and guys help me prepare a shopping list for the Mechmate.

I have on my list
1. V Bearings from superior bearings
2. Cnc4pc breakout board.

anything else?

RGDS
Irfan.

javeria
Thu 07 February 2008, 06:51
No replys

So i will take it that there is nothing left for me to get in the US.

RGDS
Irfan

Doug_Ford
Thu 07 February 2008, 10:49
We're not ignoring you. In my case, I don't know what you have access to in India. Do you need a router or will you be using a spindle?

sailfl
Thu 07 February 2008, 11:03
Javeria

You can buy every thing you need for your machine here(USA) but we don't know what you already have. List what you need and may be we can recommend how to obtain those items.

domino11
Thu 07 February 2008, 14:36
Racks from Standard Steel might be cheaper in the US?

javeria
Thu 07 February 2008, 20:21
I was intending to get parts : smaller and expensive ones probably.

I have the following already as I stated in my first post.
1. G203V's purchased
2. 640 OZ 3 motors and 430OZ one motor purchased from keling.

Now I am planning for the new BOB as my other BOB is taken up by the smaller router.

Also cutting bits from woodworkerswholesale.com, the DIN mounted rotary switch (ensto) though I have a moeller switch with me in an enclosure (for the smaller machine).

I think I should get together a list for what I need to get myself... after all I know what I already have and what I don't :)

BTW any Mechmates in the Bayarea? SanFrancisco? SanJose?

Dont worry about me posting weird words/ on my posts ...

Heath I already have the racks - I have to get teh steel tubes and C channels for the gantry and base table respectively.

I will be in the US for upto May and so intend to make most of it getting hard to get stuff in India. (until now only the Ensto rotary switch and the Gecko's)

Thanks all!

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Fri 25 July 2008, 03:11
Hi All,

due to power cuts in our city i decided to pick up the geckos and the enclosure and start building the control box, so here is all the update I have right now!

only in pictures ......... from my crappy mobile camera.

Dont expect me to move on very fast, my other machine is very near to start production, once the other machine is working (earning) :) I will start working on Mechmate.

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Fri 25 July 2008, 03:13
Most important for me is the size the power supply to the keling motors I have!

right now will go thru the power supply thread and then discuss my choice.

Gerald D
Fri 25 July 2008, 04:50
Welcome back Irfan! How about some pictures of your other machine? :)

javeria
Fri 25 July 2008, 06:57
Can I post those here G' ,

well here it is for those interested in my other machine, once I complete building a mechmate, I will present a detailed comparison between these two

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46998&page=10

Kindly dont post about my my other machine on this thread, if interested to post then kindly post on the cnc zone thread.

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Fri 25 July 2008, 11:55
Just did the power supply requirement calculations for the motors I am using, also find the datasheets of the motors attached.

let me know if i need to change anything.

also I will be adding 9V / and 18V secondaries 2 amps each for accessories.

Gerald D
Fri 25 July 2008, 12:03
Irfan, these days the more popular way of calculating voltage for the square motors is:

32 times the square root of the milliHenry inductance

how does that compare? (The motor specs are not in your zip file?)

With 5 stepper motors driving a CNC system, very few motors will be drawing peak current at any time. The general rule is to design the power supply to supply only two thirds of the total motor requirement.

The AC amps should be 1.4 times higher than the DC amps because the VA (Watts) for the AC and DC must be the same?

javeria
Fri 25 July 2008, 13:23
here are th data sheets, thanks gerald for your inputs

will do the calculations and post once again

javeria
Sat 26 July 2008, 23:51
this is what I have based on the new calculations

I have decided to have two 3 secondary windings and based of my learning on the machine I am building I will have a 24 V circuit for E stop pause and limits.

RGDS
Irfan

Gerald D
Sun 27 July 2008, 00:50
Irfan, why do you need 5 motors, and when do you think they will be drawing peak current together?

javeria
Sun 27 July 2008, 10:26
G' I just want the PS to be ready for a indexer motor, probably soon I will move on to a better rittal enclosure,

I have multiplied the final ampereage by .75 to get the final value.

if you click on the current value on the excel you will get multiplication as Ax1.41x0.75

Correct me if I am wrong here!

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Thu 02 October 2008, 00:42
G' for the 10 10 306 lower cross brace, I have 4 inch channel from the old project, I planning to use them as a substitute - it would make the setup heavy, but I am just using what I have - is this OK?

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Thu 02 October 2008, 02:22
In the static table, you can use any old scrap, as long as it is heavier/stronger than what I showed. That 4" channel will be fine.

javeria
Mon 13 October 2008, 21:34
Hi Folks,

The electrical parts arrived for mine and Vishnu's machine.
price for 2 mc was around 300USD , this excluded the BOB, wiring, transformer and geckos.

RGDS
Irfan

DMS
Tue 14 October 2008, 06:12
Irfanji,
which brand and price contactor this is? Price of all these seems to be high, are those imported or Indian brand.

REGDS
Sharma

javeria
Tue 14 October 2008, 10:39
the electricals are for 2 machines. rest assured the prices is good as I got it from a friend.

The contactor is a Telemechanica one 32amps - which is 1780 INR.

I checked in other places in bangalore and also Vishnu (who is also a sourcing person chkd with in coiambatore)

i post the details soon

RGDS
Irfan

DMS
Tue 14 October 2008, 10:57
I got the pricing of ABB Ltd. (UK based co.), we have bulk supplies of this co. and known among us high pricing co. , pricing for same amp was 1300/- which is of one of top quality products. To reduce my bill I purchased good one instead of best one.
FYI only.

javeria
Tue 14 October 2008, 11:13
there might be mistake sir, i chk several pricing nd bought it - no worries.

that why I asked you before buying and confirmed - i will post the model number and lets chk on RS india

RGDS
Irfan

DMS
Tue 14 October 2008, 11:20
RS India is pricing very high I am talking about ABB dealer. I am very much assured. I do not repeat mistakes :)
Good Night.

javeria
Tue 14 October 2008, 11:34
this is what is here (http://cgi.ebay.com/LC1D3210M7-Telemecanique-LC1-D3210M7-Contactor-220V-_W0QQitemZ200258649620QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2008093 0?IMSfp=TL080930203008r2961)

this is the cheapest (http://www.redrive.net/product/LC1D3210M7/LC1D3210M7_Telemecanique_LC1D3210M7_Contactor_220V .html) I could find at 39USD = INR 1833 and that equal to what I bought for.

RGDS
Irfan

DMS
Tue 14 October 2008, 19:13
That's nice,
Do you have source of good cables?
I tried Hellukable and other top brands they do not retail sale (one roll). I had to use another one.

Thanks,

javeria
Tue 14 October 2008, 21:00
I asked for Lapp O flex 1 mm sq which was 162 INR per meter (can get cut length), but I am going on for .75mm sq 4 core shielded - from local supplier - and as we are going for 2 machines we might buy a whole roll of 1oo mt costs around 6k INR.

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Tue 14 October 2008, 21:50
just found these in the market - used for like 13 USD? anyone think its good for the mechmate?

RGDS
Irfan

DMS
Wed 15 October 2008, 05:51
I also used .75 mm sq. The problem with them I found while crimping, have to crimp them and press with pliers, I suggest 1mm sq.
Wheels looks good, will they carry MM load? What are these called?
Thanks,

javeria
Wed 15 October 2008, 09:07
folks, I got all the required metal today, will start processing it Monday.

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Wed 15 October 2008, 09:21
I also used .75 mm sq. The problem with them I found while crimping, have to crimp them and press with pliers, I suggest 1mm sq.
Wheels looks good, will they carry MM load? What are these called?
Thanks,

I am not getting 1 mm sq cable and probably want to avoid it due to high costs.

The wheels will carry upto a TON, I have seen them on several machines now - but the Q is do I need them really? for this machine - I already have the vib foots - so probably will not buy these.

these are just call castors.

RGDS
Irfan

Gerald D
Wed 15 October 2008, 09:35
I love the burner guy's open footwear - he don't care about the hot blobs of sparks he makes! (I know he is the burner guy because he is carrying his guide for the torch).

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 15 October 2008, 23:47
I wish we can still work like this. These day's we are so drowned in paperwork and PROCEDURES when it comes to SAFETY....we as project managers are batteling to get any work done.

javeria
Thu 16 October 2008, 04:23
Kobus - u say " these days " I am 25+4 and already working on excel and powerpoints daily - developing strategies and forecasting for the spares division in oour company. building cnc machines and hovercrafts gives me the very necessary break for the brain.

javeria
Tue 21 October 2008, 05:07
In the above post I wrongly psoted my age :) I just realised the mistake. I am 29 now. (now how could I do a mistake here :D)

ok the transformers and the spindle speed control boards arrived today.

mean - had to go and pick em up.

will post the pics soon. for me the kitchen table project is all set to go forward. - minus the proper box though

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Tue 21 October 2008, 12:56
HI folks, the pics of the sound logic control board and the transformers - these are for mine and vishnu's machine combined.

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Fri 24 October 2008, 22:49
some pictures of the kitchen project in the workshop.

do comment if U see anything wrong here

I will construct a box using L angles and sheet around what is seen in the pictures.

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Sat 25 October 2008, 11:49
Hi - got the Intel atom today and started to modify the old celeron PC cabinet to suite the MB

here are some pics.

some image of the carving did on my other router.

RGD
Irfan

Lex
Sun 26 October 2008, 01:43
Nice carving Irfan. What material is that? Did you add black paint to the carved areas or is it multilayers?
Good luck with your new build. It is looking good!:cool:

javeria
Sun 26 October 2008, 11:50
Thanks Johan,

donno what wood it is - a friend gave me some for carving and he used brown fabric paint to fill it up and then sanded it up.

I aslo did some carving on the wood for the side legs. will post completed picture (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=517123&postcount=180) soon.

The above is all V carved.

On the mechmate - I did get to finish mounting the Atom MB in the box - then designed a controller box which will house everything and have only wires jutting out towards the machine. Will keep ya all informed.

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Wed 29 October 2008, 12:37
some 3d stuff (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=519648#post519648)I did on the other machine.

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Fri 31 October 2008, 00:46
HI Folks, I am building my control box integrated with the computer and monitor and everything.

here is the pipe frame for it, just bought a couple of CR cut sheets which will be used for covering.

RGDS
IRfan

gmessler
Fri 31 October 2008, 08:02
Great idea Irfan. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.:)

javeria
Fri 31 October 2008, 08:46
Thanks Greg,
Promise you - it will be a good one! :) I am planning to mount the VFD beside the monitor. Will there be a problem ?, the computer is enclosed in a metal box already.

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Sat 01 November 2008, 07:10
The guy building my cabinet has limited knowledge of sheet - and it was the first time he had built a box like this - so looks pretty neat - the guy building my machine could only get so far as putting together the sides, not fully welded though.

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Wed 05 November 2008, 09:31
Just a few updates - and I got blue on the control box.

I have got most for the build - I am now only worried on finances for the spindle only - even a chinese feels expensive after spending so much :(

I ran into trouble for the atom MB I am using - it needs the windows xp cd to be in the drive to boot always.

I have tried so many things - making the boot disk as the hard drive and trying several reboots but the same problem

I have connected the cd drive as the master and hdd as slave.

hope anyone can help me here.

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Wed 05 November 2008, 10:11
Irfan, we ran for 5 years with a router intead of a spindle. In fact, one table is still running with a Makita router. There is nothing wrong with learning to control the beast with a cheap router . . . . You ARE going to run a cutter through a clamp - do want to to that with an expensive spindle? ;)

javeria
Wed 05 November 2008, 11:07
I agree G' but I have neighbours already complaining about noise - I have a makita on the other router I build - but I fear the pollution control people will be at my door steps soon if I dont do much about the sound, I am presently planning to enclose both machines like you have did for one of yours.

RGDS
IRfan

domino11
Wed 05 November 2008, 11:23
Irfan,
I really like your computer enclosure. It will look really good beside your MM. :)

Gerald D
Wed 05 November 2008, 11:31
When a cutter is busy chopping up wood, it makes the same noise (and vibration) if it is driven by a router or a spindle. Believe me, a spindle that is working hard, still makes a lot of noise.

javeria
Thu 06 November 2008, 04:39
Then I think I will focus on the enclosures first!

Thanks G'

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Sat 08 November 2008, 11:40
Hi Folks as the first development on populating the Controls into the control box I fixed in the Intel Atom computer into the control box and also fixed in the cd rom in such a way that its accessible to the outside.

well now the problem - we were trying to cut the angle iron today (see pic in the zipped file, donno why but always the cuts went one mm below as if the cut was digging into the L - angle rail.

May be I did not have a sturdy enough clamp made for the angle grinder.

will try again on monday though - any comments and help are welcome - meanwhile I did not laser cut the grinding attachment - thought would borrow it from vishnu - since vishnu is down with high fever I will be postponing the angle grinding or may be ask sharma to lend his.

will keep all posted though.

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Sat 08 November 2008, 12:09
I think you have the wrong grinding technique if your disk is that deep through the metal. . . . .

The idea is to cut a shallow groove over a long distance, come back and cut it a bit deeper, come back again and cut it deeper again, etc. You may take 10 to 20 "steps" or oscillations to get through the metal.

hennie
Sat 08 November 2008, 13:04
Irfan, I used that method and it did work for me.
Screw your rail against some flat surface,maybe the spoil board and get your friend to hold some safety glases in front of you:(, use both hands on your grinder.Looks like you are holding the grinder down with your right hand on the handle( might be that you are pushing it down.Your clamps look ok I used one of my extractors hose clamps )

Like Gerald`s reply don`t force the cutting disk into the angle iron just, just let the cutting disk touch the metal you will be amazed how much it takes of. Take it from side to side running the full length of the rail. you will do some serious exersise behind the rail but it works.

Look at my thread it should show you.Try putting your rails back to back then you cut them together same hight and they are straight.

javeria
Sun 09 November 2008, 10:28
thanks for the inputs folks will try that tomorrow.

RGDS
IRfan

liaoh75
Tue 11 November 2008, 02:52
Irfan, your build is looking good. I found out that it will cost about $145 U.S. to ship the 3KW Chinese Spindle to you from taiwan according to the address you PM to me. Good Luck with your build:)

liaoh75
Tue 11 November 2008, 02:56
Oh, I forgot to mention, my purchase of the spindle has been further delayed as I'm still learning the ropes and don't mind distroying a cheap router. Geralds advice on an earlier post is definitely worth heeding. I've had a few OOPS:eek: already and every time it happens, you say to yourself, "Thank God it's just a cheap router and cheap router bit and not an expensive spindle and/or $70 O-flute cutter!"

javeria
Tue 11 November 2008, 03:07
Hi David, thanks for the update on the spindle. the shipping costs looks better from Taiwan.

the makita router is around 16.5K INR , which means is close to 340USD- I rather invest the same in the new spindle - i will try a el-cheapo chinese router for the time being.

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Sun 16 November 2008, 04:58
HI Folks,

some more updates and pictures of my shop - since there were bikes every where on the forum - here is mine - a Bajaj 110CC 4 stroke - its now 8 years old. still a good workhorse for me.

Mechmate build is going on smoothly.

RGDS
Irfan

YRD
Sun 16 November 2008, 11:22
Good Irfan.

One more rider.

It seems that we have beards and bikes.

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 16 November 2008, 11:40
What about BBB...no not Big Blue Brakpan, but Beard, Bike and Boep on this side......for those on the other side of the world....BOEP is what we call a big belly.

javeria
Sun 16 November 2008, 23:54
my wife says I have a reasonably sized belly at 29 :)

so only BB, Bike and Belly - no beard :)

the bike is my daily commute everwhere.

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Sun 23 November 2008, 11:05
Hi Folks,

Was thinking of trying to avoid the mixing up of signal and power cables - but its very difficult - just using shielded for the signals, realised have to study some more on interfacing the whole thing together - meaning the disable thingi on the gecko - how do we club all that - I will chk up for that.

till then any comments are welcome . I left some extra wire in the cable tubes - I hope thats ok : (see pics)

RGDS
IRfan

Doug_Ford
Sun 23 November 2008, 18:03
Looking good Irfan. The fan blowing air through the heat sinks on which you have mounted your Geckos should keep them good and cool.

javeria
Sun 23 November 2008, 21:19
Thank you Doug.

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Sat 29 November 2008, 09:14
Hi Folks, my mechmate build is sort of slowed due to more office work and some orders for the smaller machine.

I am so worried about the router sound. :)

here is the link to some of my work

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=532618&postcount=201

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Sat 29 November 2008, 09:49
Obviously we were wondering about our Indian friends in the last 3 days . . .

I was hoping you would have experimented with removing that router fan and given us some noise/(smoke?) results? :D

javeria
Sat 29 November 2008, 09:56
tomorrow I promise the its either going to be no noise or no router (smoke it up baby) the elcheapo I have will be the bakra - :)

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Sat 29 November 2008, 10:10
Is the "bakra" a sacrificial goat?

vishnu
Sat 29 November 2008, 10:28
Yes Gerald , Bakra means only a goat, But in this case if irfan does a mistake it will sacrifisied @ the cost of 2 Goats Approx $100 i think.

Vishnu

vishnu
Sat 29 November 2008, 10:35
Obviously we were wondering about our Indian friends in the last 3 days . . .

i thank all the people around the globe who shared grief & pity to the people who withered away in Mumbai. We may all wish to have a peaceful world for our future generation free of terror.

javeria
Sat 06 December 2008, 07:55
:)

folks today almost finished all the wiring and then powered up a drive - now the stepper motor turns well.

havent set up exact steps per rev etc., will do that on the machine - but as of now things look very good on the control box. estop works.

The following was done today

1. The three computers - machine 1, machine2 and laptop were networked.
2. Mini IO xml shared from the small mc
3. Mach lockdown version installed on the mechmate computer.
4. Finalised wiring of the controller
5. Chkd for estop (24V estop working)
6. connected relays which short the caps to a 7ohm 25 watts wire wound resistor.

Things to do

1. Chk all motors running - have to read more here
2. Tune the motors - have to read more
3. have to interface the e stop using optos to the BOB.
and so much more to do............

I have a question folks

I have 4 motors out of which 3 are 630OZ and one is 450OZ,

I am planning to use the 630 ones on the long and Z axis and use the 450 on the short axis.

is that the right thing to do?

I will be having 1:3 JR type reductions on all four.

Need your help on finalising this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Jved539G8

the video of the motor turning

Folks thats all for today

I should say the Atom is a nice processor MB combo.

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Sat 06 December 2008, 08:09
I have 4 motors out of which 3 are 630OZ and one is 450OZ,

I am planning to use the 630 ones on the long and Z axis and use the 450 on the short axis.

is that the right thing to do?

I will be having 1:3 JR type reductions on all four.

I would use the "weak" motor on the short vertical Z-axis.

javeria
Sat 06 December 2008, 08:26
G' should not the title of this thread change to something better? :)

javeria
Sat 06 December 2008, 08:33
G' the logic behind me not planning to use the weak motor on the Z was that when doing 3d stuff we need more accln and speed on the Z which the weak motor may fail to provide.

where as the shorter axis most of the time has a linear speed movement and that why use the weaker motor on the short axis.

RGDS
Irfan

Gerald D
Sat 06 December 2008, 08:49
The z is the lowest mass axis and needs less torque to achieve the same acceleration.

Okay, you give me a thread title - it is YOUR thread! :D

javeria
Sat 06 December 2008, 09:07
Motors moving - waiting to compare the ballscrew servo and the mechmae stepper machine !

Lex
Sat 06 December 2008, 22:37
Well done Irfan! I am falling behind again.

javeria
Sun 21 December 2008, 10:07
HI folks, I ordered the Asian spindle today.

cost being 261 USD + shipping - Vishnu also ordered the motors from Deitec, cost was 52USD for 580 OZ motors - we are using a 1:3 reduction - so I think will be sufficient.

the advantage of buying it from deitec was that they are located in Hong Kong and UPS is real cheap than from interior China.

RGDS
IRfan

Doug_Ford
Sun 21 December 2008, 14:18
Congrats Irfan. I'm anxious to see some pictures of your new parts.

CNCQuest
Mon 22 December 2008, 00:20
HI folks, I ordered the Asian spindle today.

cost being 261 USD + shipping - Vishnu also ordered the motors from Deitec, cost was 52USD for 580 OZ motors - we are using a 1:3 reduction - so I think will be sufficient.

the advantage of buying it from deitec was that they are located in Hong Kong and UPS is real cheap than from interior China.

RGDS
IRfan

Congrats, Irfan. Let us know how the Chinese Spindle comes along.

Can you give us the info of the Spindle specs, and the website of Deitec so I can inquire as well from them for my prospective use?

Thanks,
WT

vishnu
Mon 22 December 2008, 11:28
Irfan & me both of us have ordered spindles and i have ordered steppers also. please wait for a week so that we can tell u the quality so our folks can proceed further.

Vishnu

Gerald D
Thu 25 December 2008, 11:22
Hi Irfan & Vishnu, did you guys ever give us a link to Deitec?

javeria
Thu 25 December 2008, 20:59
Its here G' http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196

website is www.driver-motor.com (http://www.driver-motor.com/)

javeria
Fri 26 December 2008, 10:31
hI,
these are some of the pictures which vishnu sent me earlier.i still havent physically touched the spindle yet.

i have a concerns about the motors we ordered for vishnu.these motors are
8 wire motors rated at 5 amps we need help in wiring this to the gecko 203 drive, should we do it half coil or full.this is a bit confusing for us.

RGDS
IRFAN

Gerald D
Fri 26 December 2008, 11:08
The starting point for wiring those motors is to know the coil inductances. A spec sheet will tell all.

javeria
Wed 31 December 2008, 05:13
some pics of the work done on my smaller router.

this is a book rack designed by me - :)

how I hope the mehmate was working - first I had to cut the 3x8 sheets to the required sizes and then load them on the machine - for the longer parts had to split the toolpath into 2.

also the Delta VFD arrived today - the application engineer here is so friendly and promised to come and help me in my installation.

RGDS
Irfan

J.R. Hatcher
Wed 31 December 2008, 07:06
Irfan I need that guy's name so I could ask if he will come and help me install one. :D I like your book case.

Gerald D
Wed 31 December 2008, 08:59
Delta VFD's are fun . . . . . I have gotten 3 different models to drive spindles already. JR, can I come and help you? :D

Nice "technical" bookcase!

javeria
Wed 31 December 2008, 10:02
Irfan I need that guy's name so I could ask if he will come and help me install one. :D I like your book case.

JR, I called up the AE ' he's ready to come - and has a visa ready - he's just waiting for you to send the flight tickets :D

javeria
Wed 31 December 2008, 10:09
G' I havent got any experience with the VFD, if that front panel removable and can it be placed where comfortable right - anyways I will also look into the manual.

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Wed 31 December 2008, 10:23
. . . . . . if that front panel removable and can it be placed where comfortable right . . . . .

. . . . . if you purchased the ribbon cable

Normally you would only use the little panel to start / stop the spindle and set its speed, but we start/stop it with the PMDX122 and put another speed control potentiometer on the control box.

J.R. Hatcher
Wed 31 December 2008, 19:50
Gerald I have 2 spare bedrooms. If you would like a holiday to southeastern North Carolina, come on down or rather up.
Irfan Gerald's offer didn't mention flight tickets so I had to go with him, sorry :rolleyes::D ................. I wonder how much Gerald eats in a week.

javeria
Thu 08 January 2009, 06:48
G' I was searching for a reactor for the spindle and VFD, they only provided me with one which I can use between the Power supply and VFD and not the one between the VFD and spindle - will this work for us?

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Thu 08 January 2009, 06:54
I know too little about reactors to make a guess on this one. :(

javeria
Thu 08 January 2009, 07:04
ok - the supplier assured me that I would be OK - so I am going ahead to use the one provided. will let everyone know if any problem arises.

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Fri 16 January 2009, 12:22
Folks - here is my design of the gear box - comments are welcome - especially those finding teh faults in the design.

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Fri 16 January 2009, 13:00
shaft added

the pinion shaft is 10mm dia.

Richards
Fri 16 January 2009, 13:11
Be sure to allow for adjustment. Normally the motor slides at least 6mm to compensate for differences in the belt and to allow the belt to be replaced.

jhiggins7
Fri 16 January 2009, 13:16
Irfan,

I noticed that the belt in your drawing doesn't show teeth. Is it a toothed belt?

If yes, I have read (I don't know where) that a good quality toothed belt and gear system (often called a timing belt and timing pulley) has very little backlash, even less than gear-to-gear system.

Is that your understanding?

Regards,
John

javeria
Sat 17 January 2009, 02:17
Mike I modified the mount per your advise.

John you are right on every count :)

i am thinking of material that can be used for this, I have seen Acrylic and Aluminum used so far, will delrin / ABS / PVC - can any of these be used? considering I am not tapping threads in them?

RGDS
Irfan

Richards
Sat 17 January 2009, 04:03
I built one set of belt drive gearboxes from 1/2-inch polycarbonate, another set from 1/2-inch aluminum, and the final set from 1/2-inch Delrin. All three materials worked equally well. If I were to build another set, I would probably use Delrin, but I would use metal for the motor mount to help dissipate the heat better. One other thing that I would definitely do next time would be to cut the two main plate from 1/2-inch MDF until I was satisfied with the design. Looking through my drawings shows fourteen different versions, about half of which were actually cut. The only reason that I used 1/2-inch thick material was to allow the brackets to be pocketed for ball bearings. It would be much more time/cost effective to have the brackets laser cut out of 3/16-inch steel and then either use bronze bushings for bearings or cut some bearing blocks out of 1/2-inch aluminum or Delrin. (Even when jogging at 15-ips with a 1-1/2 inch diameter pinion gear, the shaft is only turning 200 RPM, so I doubt whether it's necessary to use ball bearings. Except of the mess of occasionally oiling bronze bushings, they would probably be satisfactory.)

(On my designs, I also slotted the hole for the shaft and the shaft slot was large enough so that I could remove the motor without taking the gear off the shaft.)

javeria
Sun 18 January 2009, 06:04
Mile I took care of the words in the brackets,

folks teh pics are in no particular order - found out that I had made a few mistakes and I am still finding out and working my way through :)

RGDS
Irfan

jhiggins7
Sun 18 January 2009, 06:49
Irfan,

Nice progress. Thanks for sharing. It's good to see some step-by-step pictures of a build.

I notice that the "bevels" are not yet on the Y-rails. Yet they are cut to length. Are you going to mill them?

Regards,
John

javeria
Sun 18 January 2009, 06:57
:)

I mentioned that I erred in a lot of places - congrats John - you caught one :)

I am going to weld a extra piece of flat and then grind it.

not the right way - but just a improvisation.

Hey Vishnu are u listening mate - I need that attachment to grind the rails - send it to me fast :):rolleyes:

RGDS
Irfan

Gerald D
Sun 18 January 2009, 07:03
Nice progress Irfan!

Want to choose a new title for your thread? :)

javeria
Sun 18 January 2009, 07:34
This time your choice G' :)

RGDS
IRfan

LIBBIT
Sat 24 January 2009, 11:39
Hi,

I'm busy looking at a 3:1 gearbox and like u'r design. Could u make the design avaiable. I'm using SolidWorks 2006.

Rgds

John

javeria
Mon 26 January 2009, 05:21
John - once the design works - I will share the IGES files.

well - the control box went one step ahead now - you can see the pics attached

From going to Coimbatore to visit Vishnu - I picked up the spindle and tomorrow will be off to purchase the tube - pump and radiator -

need to get some U clamps to mount the spindle on the Z plate.

Vishnu has given me some Z components and I will start working on it once everything is going in my hand.

vishnu has not yet completed the rail grinding and so I could not get his attachment.

One another thing Vishnu did not mention is the screw up the CNC guy has done to the V wheels - Instead of the advised 90 deg the wheels measured 70 deg which is a tad deeper and so we are back to sq one on wheels - we have asked for replacements.

Gear box material was purchased by Vishnu so even that is coming from him -

till then i have to mount bellows on my Ball screw machine which I will finish and also the cooling part - for the spindle for the mechmate.

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Sun 08 February 2009, 06:35
long awaited picture for vishnu -

vishnu
Sun 08 February 2009, 10:57
Hi,

So after a long wait the control cab's seem to be Twins. Good looking.

Vishnu

javeria
Sat 21 February 2009, 07:56
G' do I qualify for the longest build ever - starting 12 Feb 2007 and still in progress - I hope to so some record breaking atleast. :D

BTW - I got the water pump for the spindle cooling - its a submersible fountain pump.

Vishnu promised to send me the grinding skates today and the plunger tool to correct the v wheels -

and I will finalize the wiring of the controller the coming week if all goes well

RGDS
Irfan

domino11
Sat 21 February 2009, 18:05
Irfan,
Those computer cabs turned out excellent. :)

javeria
Sat 21 February 2009, 21:32
Thanks heath !

Gerald D
Sat 21 February 2009, 22:42
Irfan, do we need a fresh title for your thread? :)

sailfl
Sun 22 February 2009, 01:26
Irfan,

Hang in there. It takes as long as it takes. May be you are working off some Karma. You need to give Ganesh some attention to help your build!

javeria
Sun 22 February 2009, 10:22
No G' the title is good as it is -

Today I just finished the controller for the servo machine - and the dust proofing the same. - it required so much effort and finally its done today - tomorrow onwards I am targeting Mechmate controller to finalise

Nils I am presently giving more attention to Vishnu (also a form of GOD) by calling him up almost daily. he's yet to send me the parts I need to complete my Mechmate. :)

Vishnu are U listening - please help me GOD :D

will post the new controller pics tomorrow - of the servo machine.

btw the wireless keyboard works like a charm.

RGDS
IRfan

Khalid
Fri 27 February 2009, 03:02
Very Nice built Irfan.. Keep it up man :)

jeffh
Fri 27 February 2009, 22:33
Hi Irfan!

I realized I hadn't seen much from you recently but I rechecked your thread and there's a lot of progress!

Just wanted to check in and see how you (And Vishnu) were doing on your builds.

I agree with Heath, those computer cabinets look really good!

Keep the pictures coming. Looks like you should be seeing motor motion any day now. (it is a most blissful moment!!!)

I'm also curious as to how that spindle is working out but I realize you may not have it hooked up yet (unless it's on your other machine)

Best Regards,

-Jeff

javeria
Sat 28 February 2009, 21:39
HI Jeff, thanks for those kind words, its been tough for us coping up with the global downturn - its started affecting us already. thats why the slow progress

I am having a week off every month now :)

I am still waiting for vishnu to send me the parts (especially the grinding skates)

Meanwhile I finished the controller cabinet for the smaller servo machine -

thanks to all in this forum and especially JR and Alan - for setting the example.

Thank you folks

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Sat 28 February 2009, 21:46
Folks I have a question - my touch screen is getting hot - the glass surface itself gets hot - is this normal?

its an ELO SAW touchscreen.

RGDS
Irfan

jhiggins7
Sun 01 March 2009, 06:20
Irfan,

I have no experience with your touch screen, but I know that it is NOT GOOD for electronic devices to run hot. Since you have mounted the screen inside of your own enclosure, I'm wondering if you have inadvertently restricted air flow that the touch screen depends on for cooling.

Is it possible to take the touch screen out of your enclosure and still operate it? If so, you could test it outside of the enclosure and see if it still runs hot.

Regards,
John

javeria
Sun 01 March 2009, 06:41
it was previously outside and did not run hot - I will try to add a switch to turn the monitor off when the program is running - or add a fan to circulate internal air -

Ah - problem after problem :(

jeffh
Sun 01 March 2009, 09:48
Hi Irfan,

I agree with John, your touchscreen should not be getting hot and John's
suggestion of removing it to see if it goes back to working normally would be a good debug step.

However, before you remove your touchscreen, you might also put a thermometer inside the enclosure just to measure the temperature for future information.... Most consumer electronics will start to fail after a short time above 70C and industrial electronics fail at or above 85C. (I'm guessing
the touchscreen is an industrial device)

The only reason I bring this up is because your computer is also inside the enclosure right? I'd hate to see that start to fail too.

A fan to push that internal air out might be a viable solution although it would add yet another hole for dust to intrude...

However, don't worry! It seems like problem after problem but you'll figure something out.

Keep us posted!

-Jeff

javeria
Wed 04 March 2009, 06:53
I put a internal recirculating fan - now the touchscreen is just warm - we notice the enclosure getting warm now - so its working alright - HURRAH!

javeria
Sat 07 March 2009, 03:29
Hi follks - had been designing this since today morning - will cut it out tomorrow.

hope it comes out good.

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Sun 08 March 2009, 05:09
Ok folks here is the finished unpainted product -

Rad Racer
Mon 16 March 2009, 20:54
Wow, that's cool! I like how it assembles.

javeria
Tue 31 March 2009, 01:24
Some more pics of the computer table and the sign for my shop.hope u folks like it :)

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 31 March 2009, 01:29
Nice Irfan, now you will get a lot of customers visiting your shop...good luck

Lex
Tue 31 March 2009, 01:49
Very original design Irfan. Nice.

javeria
Tue 31 March 2009, 03:00
Thanks folks - :)

javeria
Fri 10 April 2009, 10:30
G' I have run out of space for the attachments - kindly increase my quota.

Gerald D
Fri 10 April 2009, 11:42
Okay, done.

Marc Shlaes
Sun 12 April 2009, 21:56
Irfan, I like the computer table. Care to share the DXFs? :):rolleyes::cool:

domino11
Mon 13 April 2009, 07:08
Irfan,
Yes, That table looks real good when you have it all assembled. :)

javeria
Mon 13 April 2009, 10:37
Thanks Heath -

Mark I sent you a PM / email - can you email me your email id so that I can email you the file :)

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Thu 23 April 2009, 04:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04a_FtbR44

finally the cooling part is sorted out and I am pretty happy with the pump I have - the pictures and video show much more

+ the gear box setups have been mounted - I am presently going to setup the proximities and hard stops and then start running the machine - there is still a lot of wiring left to do in the controller

Hope to have a running Mechmate by this week end!

RGDS
IRfan

Lex
Thu 23 April 2009, 05:22
Good luck Irfan. It will be nice to see the machine cutting. You had a couple of set backs but you manage to overcome them all. Well done!

javeria
Thu 23 April 2009, 09:14
Thanks Johan - most of us have problems - and we solve them too - I just share them so that no one repeats the mistake I have done :)

thats it :)

Gerald D
Thu 23 April 2009, 09:39
Have copied the water cooling posts to Water cooling a spindle (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465)

javeria
Sun 26 April 2009, 09:00
Ok made quite some prgress in the build - had all the gearboxes mounted and most of them wired too - here is what we have

The above picture shows the mounting of the proximity switch for the long axis - its very near to the estop box on the gantry so wiring it would be simple.

the above pic shows the proximity for the Z axis - though it seems will interfere with the dust evacuation hose - at present I feel we have plenty of space still.

the above pic is of the relays which wire the limit switch in series and is the main interface to the proximity switches, e stop - pause - start - auto z-zero connections

I did go out to purchase a gas spring- but I was so tempted to use the spring as it was very cheap - just INR 35 - that's for a one footer. (under one USD)
I just attached an angle piece to the spider plate with a couple of screws and
got the spring attached -

after a couple of adjustments it was just fine to carry the weight of the spindle - I got an extra for any replacements required

the above pic is how it is attached to the Z tube

and here are some other views

any comments suggestions are welcome.

Gerald D
Sun 26 April 2009, 11:35
Good progress, you should be cutting by tomorrow!

javeria
Sun 26 April 2009, 12:06
hope so G' - but my controller is in a mess and I need to get the hard stops for the x and y -

list of things to do (for myself - to look over at office :) )

1. get the wiring plate mounted on the controller cabinet
2. route the wires to the contols
3. test the proximities
4. chk wire continuities
5. chk resistances on the gecko's
6. attach control cable from spindle control board to the VFD
7. Copy SSC dll to mach folder
8. make mounting for internal circulation fan
9. Make 220V available for water pump.
10. Design a simple flow switch and wire it to e stop on machine
11. get a tank for coolant
12. make hard stops for x and y
13. chk for spindle straightness to the gantry
14. make holes for the proximity to sense.
15 wire the computer switches to main panel
16. add main relay firing to key on CP
17. wire the VFD
18. CHK earthing (grounding) to all parts of the control cabinet including the CP facia.
20. chk for abnormal touch screen heating
21. add additional fuse to coolant pump.
22. remember to take wireless keyboard dongle.
23. Grease the Racks

most important have to tighten all bolts and also bolt the MDF sheet to the machine.
Hope I can fire up tomorrow - have to yet go to office in the after noon.

javeria
Fri 01 May 2009, 10:31
some more progress

javeria
Wed 06 May 2009, 00:56
Finally I have motion on all three axis- G' kindly don't yet move this thread to the completed machines thread - I want to complete it fully and once I have "Mechmate" on my machine - then it will be appropriate - I have some questions to ask i will ask in the trouble shootong section.

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Wed 06 May 2009, 01:05
If you don't want the thread moved, then don't cut (or write) anything under control of G-code. A little cursor movement is something we do on kitchen tables. :D
But yeah, any progress on your project is welcome - congratulations!

javeria
Wed 06 May 2009, 03:11
Ah - thank you :D

but still I request serial number 33 to be reserved for my machine. I am very near it and certainly not cut anything until I have the complete controls including the auto tool zero setup :)

RGDS
IRfan

silverdog
Thu 07 May 2009, 15:05
I put a internal recirculating fan - now the touchscreen is just warm - we notice the enclosure getting warm now - so its working alright - HURRAH!

Hi IRfan,
I like your idea for the cabinet and the touch screen is a professional touch.
I did not understand if the cabinet is provided with holes for ventilation, I am sure that a sealed cabinet would preserve from dust but if you close a PC in a sealed cabinet you will have troubles, PC and monitor are electronic devices that need to dissipate a lot of heat. It's mandatory to provide enough dissipation, the easiest way is to let air get in and out of the cabinet possibly in from the bottom and out from the top ....
perhaps I'm obvious .... a good air cleaner filter or a car air filter could help avoid dust .... but if you like a more complicated solution .... maybe liquid cooling ? what kills electronic it's not dust but heat (dust create heat because avoid dissipation).
ciao
Sergio

javeria
Fri 08 May 2009, 02:36
I undertand Sergio - but as I said earlier the enclosure is fully sealed and bcos of the fan there is enough heat dissipation thru the enclosure surface - and as you can see the enclosure is pretty big. If there are problems I would have noticed already since I run the machine the whole day some times.

as far as the air filter idea goes - I will do it some day - but for now its working and I will leave it at that.

I know I need it bcos the servo drivers get pretty hot too while running a 3d relief file.

RGDS
IRfan

silverdog
Fri 08 May 2009, 13:23
Hi Irfan,
I don't want to bore you but all the electronic equipment when not properly cooled will have a significant shorter life ( I have a good experience in electronics), I did not built the MM already so I don't know the value of the things you have in your cabinet and its sure that your cabinet will dissipate heat,but monitor and a PC have something between 500 to 700 watts sometimes more (if that's all you have in the cabinet), I'm afraid that this could be too much considering also that you are in a hot climat I suppose ..... anyway sorry if I disturbed you it was not my intention
RGDS
Sergio

javeria
Sat 09 May 2009, 04:34
Sergio - I am sorry if I offended you - but I will take your advise on this one - for sure !

will show it to ya soon :)

RGDS
IRfan

silverdog
Sun 10 May 2009, 01:00
Irfan, I didn't feel any offence, it's just that I am the last who joined this forum and did not started yet anything so ... maybe I still feel me a bit insecure to give advice to someone like you that did that wonderfull job.:o
Anyway, this argument seems to me not fully developed but could be helpfull to many.
This two link are interessing and explain much better than I can. ( I was experienced with the problem but never thought that each 10° over 25° the MTBF will be cutted in half ! :eek: )

http://www.easydeltav.com/pd/WP_Heat_Airflow_Encl.pdf
http://www.hoffmanonline.com/stream_document.aspx?rRID=16169&pRID=16168

Gerald D
Sun 10 May 2009, 03:57
Sergio, we have discussed this subject in some other places before. We work in a very dusty environment with our electronics, so we have 2 choices:
- let the dust get into the electronics, or
- let the electronics stay clean, but be about 15 degrees warmer than ambient.

People say to use filters on the external fans, but then we forget to service those filters and we actually end with a fully sealed cabinet.

So we say a big cabinet, that is fully sealed from the beginning . . . . .

(I don't believe that figure of 10C = 0.5 MTBF. It is not my experience and I have never seen it mentioned anywhere else before)

silverdog
Sun 10 May 2009, 05:15
Sorry Gerard but still I didn't read all the topic even if I searched for the argument. :o
about 10C = 0.5 MTBF, yes I think too it's a bit catastrophic even though it's not the only source I fondes and not the 1st time I hear about (the incriminated link is about some that sell cabinet for living if I'm not wrong ;) ).
My experience was with delicate electronics, (I worked for an international factory of broadcast TV electronics ), and most of the problems had a relation with hot temperaturesand not cooled rooms (the summer in Italy is a bit hot) , and even if I do not believe that from 25° to 35° there is such difference, with some other temperature differences and with some kind of electronics ( PC Hard Disks, processors etc ) the risk is high (this seemed to me the case).
ciao
P.S.
I'm sure 15° above ambient temperature it's not generally problem unless you live in an hot country where you can have 35-40° during the summer and maybe you go even above 15° more.....

javeria
Tue 26 May 2009, 11:21
here is the video of my problems :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHF909dGqg

well for a start I have to confess that I screwed up big time - in getting the length and width matching - say I took too many things for granted :( and here are the results

jagged cuts at large :(

now to get back to think on how to get things right - ANY HELP?

javeria
Tue 26 May 2009, 11:47
some more of mine :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3TmCBIba_U

Gerald D
Tue 26 May 2009, 12:37
Looks like mechanical "slop" - see the things mentioned in this thread:
Circles are not cut round - loose pinion gears (http://mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1221)

javeria
Wed 27 May 2009, 09:26
Ok sorted out that -

and the MM is working like a wonder now!

I still owe a review between my ball screw one and the Mechmate

I also ran into a new problem today

While cutting a lot of 1x1 squares ( using profile cutting) of 4 mm thk MDF, when the pieces jumped out they got sort of entangled witht the spindle and that causes the spider to twist and the pinin jumps the rack and we have the Z at a height more than the pre set zero -

I have read a section where suggestions are provided to beef up the spider - lkindly readers let me know if this is a known problem or needs some tweaking by me.

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Wed 27 May 2009, 10:10
What would you prefer to break first, when you don't provide a strategy for controlling the trapped off-cuts? :confused::)

What you could do is to leave a tiny thin tab (bridge) at the end of the cut, or you can turn the whole piece into dust so that it doesn't fly out, or you can have a very strong vacuum table, or you can hold it down with a stick, etc., etc

Anyway, I wouldn't expect permanent damage to the MM.......how thick is your spider? (the cutter should snap before anything else does, but I don't know if you have super strong cutters . . . . )

javeria
Wed 27 May 2009, 10:27
Yes Exactly - I was expecting the cutters to snap - and it was a 2mm carbide one-

I did not leave any tabs bcos there were a couple of thousand's of those and i did not want to file them all near the tabs.

- there is no visible damage and the x and y hold their postion very well -

I think i should be more considerate while setting the feed rates - this was going strong at 150 IPM and I was testing things here.

the spider is like 5 mm thk I think - I will measure it out tomorrow

while comparing it to the ball screw one - IMHO - the spider probably needs a look thru for a further up revision - or its just me and mine who is having this problem due to my setup?

I donno - well I think I need some plan - to mitigate this in the future!

RGDS
Irfan

Gerald D
Wed 27 May 2009, 11:15
Newton's first law of CNC cutting: A 2mm cutter cannot cause damage to a 5mm spider. Something more complex must have happened. Where did your spider bend?

javeria
Wed 27 May 2009, 19:50
:D LOL newton's first law :)

Actually the MDF was hitting the spindle and not the cutter - it was mostly like a twist in the entire z assy,

also when my Z axis is plunged into any board it does not plunge in - instead it just bounces after touching the surface - this is very strange behaviour i saw more than once - i will chk for it today also.

RGDS
Irfan

javeria
Thu 28 May 2009, 02:51
G' the above was due to low torque on the Z motor - I have posted my Q in the trouble shooting section.

http://mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769

javeria
Thu 28 May 2009, 10:56
HI some pics of how the machine looks now and though the problems - some work was done on the machine today - it held extremely well to the all X,Yand Z zero's.

Gerald D
Thu 28 May 2009, 11:42
Good stuff! The bucket reminded me that you have a spindle. . . . . Newton's second law of CNC says that the spider must bend before the shaft of the spindle. :)

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 28 May 2009, 23:18
Nice Irfan, I like the last photo. Would you share the DXF or EPS file for that. My wife has being nagging me to make a fold-up screen and something like that is just what the doctor ordered.

sailfl
Fri 29 May 2009, 03:02
Irfan,

The panel you are cutting. It does not look like plywood. Is that solid wood that you buy that is already glued up in panel size? If not what is it?

javeria
Fri 29 May 2009, 03:25
Kobus its from the weblink you had given us earlier
http://www.craftsmanspace.com/
http://www.craftsmanspace.com/Patterns%20ZIP/Ornaments/Base%20ornaments/Turkish%20ornament/Turkish%20ornament.zip

I have edited the file and its on the workshop comp - will get that to ya later - PM me your email id pls.

Nils - its the same ply wood as seen on the MM, its called veenered ply here (mostly pine) -look at the second pic and you will understand.

J.R. Hatcher
Fri 29 May 2009, 03:58
I was able to buy that years ago, here I think it's called solid core. It's like 5/8" solid pine glued together then a thin sheet of ply glued to each side to make it 3/4". It was very stable.

Gerald D
Fri 29 May 2009, 05:01
We call it blockboard (http://images.google.co.za/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4IRFA_enZA315ZA315&q=blockboard&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi) or shutterboard, some call it shutterply.

javeria
Sat 30 May 2009, 10:18
Hi Folks - tried the 2.5d stuff and here is what we have

in the images you can see that due ti difference in the height setting of the two tools the part got screwed up - anyways it was my first and a try out -

tomorrow will try again - this time i will let the tool fall to zero - I want to have a auto tool zero setup - and have things wired up too - but I am just not confident on playing with mach.

I have a question though - if power is lost during the the cut - how to get back to the actual point where the cut was happenning?

is it documented anywhere? its time I read the mach manual much thoroughly.

thats it folks

RGDS
Irfan

234ahmed
Sat 30 May 2009, 15:28
Irfan,
I remember there was a discussion regarding this matter "if power is lost during the cut" but i can't remember where is it now , I think you need proximity switch to do that as per this post "Programmable Relay to Watch Dog the Limit/Home sequence" (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7429&postcount=12)

Khalid
Sat 30 May 2009, 22:26
Very Nice work Irfan :)... I really love to see great cuts by your Mechmate.. and Where are my grapes???

javeria
Sat 30 May 2009, 22:44
yup man thats in Q

nice cuts - u mus be joking - or just being cruel on me :D

btw while cutting I lost my laser cross hair lens :( and could not find it as I had already cleared the dust out!

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Sun 31 May 2009, 06:46
Finally - this took a total of 3 hrs!

and come out beautiful

RGDS
Irfan

Gerald D
Sun 31 May 2009, 09:03
Amazing!

Is that a porous MDF or a foam? What is overall size/depth? Did you run mainly x-direction and then step over a small y increment? Etc. Etc.! :D

234ahmed
Sun 31 May 2009, 14:49
Awesome work Irfan. masha-allah
Congratulations.

DMS
Sun 31 May 2009, 17:22
Congratulations Irfan, Nice work.
Thinking of changing router, did you find any noise difference between router and spindle ?

Doug_Ford
Sun 31 May 2009, 19:38
Beautiful!!!!!!

javeria
Mon 01 June 2009, 03:23
Thank you all for the nice words!

Sharma - a spindle is a big improvement over a router! the 2+hrs the spindle was running in the shop no one outside knew there was something goin on in the shop. Since I was very tired - I just went to sleep - :D during those 2 hrs.

btw- the MM did make a lot of rattling sound - funny that for rapid change of directions it makes sort of funny sounds.

G' that is MDF - the max depth was .47 inch and the cut started out in the center and moved to the periphery - used a 3mm ball nose for the final finish and a 8mm end mill for the rough material removal. the speed was set to 4000mm/min @ 1000 mm/s/s

RGDS
IRfan

sailfl
Mon 01 June 2009, 04:56
Irfan,

Very nice job.

How about some more details. What size is the piece? What bits did you use?

I am looking for a lotus flower to cut in 2D. I have tried searching but I can't find anything that I like. Since it is a favorite for your country, do you have any thing that is nice. Side view.

Thanks

javeria
Mon 01 June 2009, 05:27
The size is 15x15 inch - the bits as mentioned in my previous post - the file was available for free download on the artcam forum.

lotus in 2d? nope -

Gerald D
Mon 01 June 2009, 05:38
Traceable images of lotus flowers (http://images.google.co.za/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4IRFA_enZA315ZA315&um=1&q=lotus+flower+gif&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20)

sailfl
Mon 01 June 2009, 06:41
Gerald,

Thanks, they will work.

javeria
Mon 01 June 2009, 06:45
Nils' - do share what you do with the lotus - its interesting - never thought about it till now!

RGDS
IRfan

javeria
Sat 06 June 2009, 03:47
Problem posted here

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25703#post25703

sailfl
Sat 06 June 2009, 04:18
Irfan,

I have a friend that would like me to cut a large relief lotus for the front of their house.

javeria
Tue 16 June 2009, 11:20
I am not able to figure out what is the problem!

I looked and cleared out all grounding and noise issues, put new grubs on the motor pulleys - had earlier taken care of all the other gearbox grubs - flats - indents on the shafts - interchanged gecko's - interchanged motors

hmm now I think I will recheck all the bolts of the machine

if any of u have any ideas kindly let me know!

RGDS
IRfan

See Cutting out_of_round circles - loose V-rollers on Z-slide (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788) for a copy of this post and the solution.

javeria
Fri 19 June 2009, 06:58
Ok - sorry but after a week of searching - I am so so embarrassed to ask - where is the location of the mechmate logo ?

sailfl
Fri 19 June 2009, 07:08
Irfan,

You are going to be banned for not knowing the location..... only joking...... It is tough some times to find stuff. I know....

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856

Gerald D
Fri 19 June 2009, 09:36
In addition, all the .dxf drawings for the laser cutting have the logo in the title block.

javeria
Sat 27 June 2009, 06:49
Hi Folks - I took another detour - instead of getting the stickers I just machined a sign plate for my machine!

Gerald D
Sat 27 June 2009, 07:19
Irfan, the father of doing everything the long way round . . . . .

Well Done! :D

Gerald D
Sat 27 June 2009, 07:23
Want to tell us why you selected #33 and not the #28 that would have been next? :confused:

javeria
Sat 27 June 2009, 07:29
Actually G' when the Mechmate revolution started - I was there and really wanted to be number 3 - but NOW some how I wanted to at least be near to the number 3 so 3 and 3, yes it does sounds stupid - but I like to have it as 33, and sound good too...

AH thats a long way ans still learning :D

BTW I destroyed 3 carbide bits today :( one was a 3mm single flute with a cut lenth of 30mm and another 2 were 2mm ones - all carbide and that hurts OUCH!

Gerald D
Sat 27 June 2009, 07:35
. . . . destroyed 3 carbide bits today :( one was a 3mm single flute with a cut lenth of 30mm . . . .

. . . . on #33? That is an omen! :eek:

What went wrong with the bits? Feeding too fast?

javeria
Sat 27 June 2009, 07:45
G' I had that stupid auto estop triggered and then I started the spindle manually with a m03s15000 command. then pressed the green button and that made that thing go in a tizzy and the bit broke - this was the 3mm one -

another 2 mm went down due to wrong depth, and another went down bcos I had not given tabs to one of the internal profile cut and the mdf jumped out and there was a collision between the two.

RGDS
IRfan

hennie
Sat 27 June 2009, 09:14
Congrats Irfan,!# 33

Doug_Ford
Sat 27 June 2009, 10:19
Congrats Irfan.

By the way, I've used all three of those same techniques to trash carbide bits too. Luckily, mine were only $6 bits.

javeria
Sat 27 June 2009, 10:27
Thanks Hennie and Dough - couldn't have been without all the folks in this forum -!

and special thanks to G'

R/
Irfan

Greg J
Sat 27 June 2009, 13:09
CONGRATS Irfan,

I know how important those numbers can be. :D

Lucky 13. :cool:

sailfl
Sat 27 June 2009, 13:10
Irfan,

Congratulations on completing you build.

Alan_c
Sat 27 June 2009, 16:20
Irfan, well done on completing the build (not that its ever really complete :)).

jhiggins7
Sat 27 June 2009, 18:43
Irfan,

May I add my CONGRATULATIONS to you for your GRAND accomplishment.:):):) Fantastic!
Here's the Updated Builder's Log (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pLoxg8wu4WnsBc2_U5yEaQw).

Please let me know the size of your machine for the Builder's Log. Also, please provide a different or modified "log comment" if you please.

Regards,
John

myozman
Sat 27 June 2009, 21:00
Irfan,

Congrats on a nice machine.

Mike

domino11
Sat 27 June 2009, 21:29
Congratulations Irfan!

Roadkill_321
Sat 27 June 2009, 22:02
Congratulations Irfan, good job. Wish you all the best success.

John

234ahmed
Sat 27 June 2009, 23:55
Congratulations Irfan.

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 28 June 2009, 00:46
33. That is a nice number. Well done and enjoy

isladelobos
Sun 28 June 2009, 03:14
Nice carve Ifan.
Congratulatios !!

I think we can make a data sheet for each machine with its complete specifications.

For example:

Dimensions:
Motors:
pinion teeths:
Rack:
Etc...

And put this in a New thread.

javeria
Sun 28 June 2009, 05:16
John - its a 50x100

btw my build date - John - does this count?

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196

javeria
Sun 28 June 2009, 05:17
HI All - thanks for the congrats!

Gerald D
Sun 28 June 2009, 05:58
Irfan, did any of the parts of that jackshaft table make it to #33? Doesn't look like it. I guess that #33 started when you closed the earlier thread - 1 October 2007?

Rad Racer
Sun 28 June 2009, 07:16
Well done Irfan....congratulations.

javeria
Sun 28 June 2009, 07:58
Yes G' lot of the Metal was from there!

jhiggins7
Sun 28 June 2009, 16:11
Irfan,

Thanks for the size info. Updated Builder's Log is here (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pLoxg8wu4WnsBc2_U5yEaQw).

As for the build start date, that's up to you. Looks like Gerald is suggesting 1 October 2007. Let me know what you think.

Lex
Mon 29 June 2009, 00:12
Well done Irfan! Congratulations!

kaartman
Mon 29 June 2009, 08:53
Congratulations Irfan, happy cutting!

javeria
Mon 29 June 2009, 09:24
Thanks - again to all - so I have to transform myself to the showroom thread now :) and start posting there!

very soon there will be a lot to share!

John - lets leave it as it is :)

RGDS
IRfan

Khalid
Sun 05 July 2009, 07:47
OOpss.. sorry i just saw the previous page and the very nice relief you did.. I am really proud of you Irfan...

I didn't find the relief at Artcam Forum..Can you send it to me or point the thread?

What you did with that beautiful carving and where you installed it..

Regards

javeria
Sun 01 November 2009, 11:50
took 3 hrs - I love the artwork - from Issac.

size 12x18 inch, 6mm end mill for z clear and 3mm ball nose for final finish

material MDF.

domino11
Sun 01 November 2009, 20:37
Irfan,
That is awesome. I love the artwork as well. :)

hennie
Sun 01 November 2009, 21:30
NICE Irfan,now you have to sand it:D

javeria
Sat 28 November 2009, 05:11
I got hold of some 25mm thk used rails in a reasonably good condition - so its time to upgrade my Z axis :), the same rack and pinion assy will be used.

here is the proposed design

Robert M
Sat 28 November 2009, 05:26
Irfan,
Let me play the ignorant :rolleyes:
Why change something already good….The original concept that is…for some other approach :eek:
If you’re not already on a Z-axis original system as design, why not make this “upgrade” to the original version :D
Robert ;)

javeria
Sat 28 November 2009, 09:59
Actually, I have already done with my current Z - due to my own overlooking- which I feel cannot be corrected/rectified, I am just trying to use the linear slides as I already have them with me.

I think I am on the original system/version - unless you prove me wrong - I don't exactly know what I have missed on the current Z - except for some of my own mistakes.

KenC
Sat 28 November 2009, 21:46
I have yet to bend my Z-spider, in fear of some thing may go wrong... particularly concern about alignment. I couldn't give a solid explaination for the feling. Don't get me wrong, I have faith in Gerald's design.... just that erky feel of worms churning in me stomach when I think about how to get the whole assemble correct ...

javeria
Tue 01 December 2009, 11:11
have yet to decide on proper motor mounting- may finish it tomorrow.

KenC
Wed 02 December 2009, 04:22
Like what I see here. More pix more pix!

Cheers

Ken

javeria
Wed 02 December 2009, 08:50
folks - I finished Z axis mod's , the reason I took it up was that i observed pitting marks on my 3d carvings, well now they have gone away by 90% , but a bit is left out - I dont exactly know where the problem lies - but sure some day i will sort it out.

KenC
Wed 02 December 2009, 21:12
Irfan, what size linear size are you using? & the stroke length?

javeria
Thu 03 December 2009, 09:20
25mm thk slides 400 mm length, i get a stroke length of just a little less than 5 inches,

you can use 20mm ones too

javeria
Fri 11 December 2009, 22:14
Hi Folks - this is what we recently did on our mechmate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBf5Sco6SmM

Gerald D
Fri 11 December 2009, 22:48
Fantastic!

Claudiu
Sat 12 December 2009, 01:19
Beautiful Artwork

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 12 December 2009, 03:04
Now this is what I like. Well done Irfan

normand blais
Sat 12 December 2009, 06:32
Very good carving ! what kind of wood is it ? can you post picture once you got the finish on . thank

hennie
Sat 12 December 2009, 07:43
That is nice!