PDA

View Full Version : Southern Africa social group gathering

Pages : [1] 2

sailfl
Sat 05 January 2008, 08:25
Gerald,

You have been missed but you deserve time off.

We are eager to see pictures and hear about the good times you had.

Gerald D
Sat 05 January 2008, 12:29
Random order, no captions yet . . . . . .

Mountain Zebra (or "Kwagga") - note prominent hindquarter markings compared to finer forward markings. (Cradock)

Folded red mountains (Oudtshoorn)

View from Malealea Lodge (Lesotho)

A scenic trip from house to outhouse (Lesotho)

Farming community. Note soil erosion (Lesotho)

Many taverns, but the spelling is problematic sometimes (Mohale's Hoek - Lesotho)

Typical town main street (Moyeni - Lesotho)

This lady sells jackets and eggs (Moyeni - Lesotho)

From the nearest road point to the Catholic Mission Station in background. (Mohale's Hoek - Lesotho)

On the pavement of the main road (Mohale's Hoek - Lesotho)

That's not sorcery - it is supposed to be surgery (Mohale's Hoek - Lesotho)

No, we did not stay here (Mohale's Hoek - Lesotho)

Main road through country village (Malealea - Lesotho)

Some ploughing by horse, mule or oxen (Lesotho)

Our guesthouse (Franshoek Lodge - Ficksburg)

Our guesthouse (Franshoek Lodge - Ficksburg)

Robert M
Sat 05 January 2008, 16:52
Gerald…. These seens are just… words are missing…., breathe taking & amazing :eek:
My emotion are racing & bouncing of jealousy knowing I can’t be/go there…
Man, thanks a million. Please give us more detail about these.
Merci, Robert

Marc Shlaes
Sat 05 January 2008, 23:16
Wow!

Greg J
Sun 06 January 2008, 06:48
Gerald,

Beautiful pictures and Country. I have got to get there.

Love the craftmanship on the wooden gate :)

bbreaker
Sun 06 January 2008, 07:17
wow Gerald Nice Place to go, thank's for pictures

gmessler
Sun 06 January 2008, 08:43
Welcome back Gerald......Beautiful pics.

Doug_Ford
Sun 06 January 2008, 10:52
What a beautiful place. I hope y'all had a great time. I've got lots of questions about the stuff in the pictures but I'll wait until you've had time to finish catching up on all of your reading.

Gerald D
Sun 06 January 2008, 10:59
Go for the questions Doug (and others) - my mind is still in holiday mode :)

Have started inserting some captions above.....

Doug_Ford
Sun 06 January 2008, 17:53
Gerald,

I've been a fan of the Cape Dutch architectural style since my wife brought home a travel brochure for a SA vineyard. Is that a regional style? I didn't see any examples unless that tan and white building qualifies (3 pictures above the cow and calf in the road.)

Your guest house at Franshoek Lodge - Ficksburg is beautiful. What type of roofing material is that on it? It appears to be thatch.

At the risk of sounding like a redneck from Arkansas, would you have been permitted to shoot those mountain zebra if you had happened to have a rifle in your vehicle? Do they belong to someone or are they just running wild? I realize that your wife probably wouldn't have wanted to finish the trip with a dead zebra strapped to the roof of your car :D so I was wondering about the laws.

While I'm on the subject, what are your gun laws like? Can you carry a pistol while traveling or on a daily basis around your home town?

In the picture above the Chinese Surgery photo, what language is that on the sign? Afrikaan?

South Africa is REALLY beautiful and I'm even more determined to visit one day.

Gerald D
Sun 06 January 2008, 23:13
Doug, some very interesting questions! It will be my pleasure to answer them bit by bit . . . .

That building is, believe it or not, a stable block for thoroughbred horses built in 1895. (Not quite "Cape Dutch (http://www.encounter.co.za/article/19.html)", which is mostly near Cape Town). Here is the rest of the Greenfields story: http://www.greenfieldsmanor.co.za/manorhouse.php (the "home" page doesn't work - use this link as the home)

The main area of our holiday was the poorest, most mountaineous, part of the country, away from the hordes of tourists that flock to the coast in this our peak holiday season. The mainstream tourists don't visit most of the places in the photos.

J.R. Hatcher
Mon 07 January 2008, 05:53
I conceived and built the skate and gave the concept to this forum. Everytime someone grinds their rails using the skate, I feel good. Everytime someone talks about how we can modify the skate to make it better, I feel good. Everytime I see the thumbnail of my skate appear in the upper righthand corner of this forum, I feel good.

I said something in my first post I would like to say again "Thanks in advance for all the help. I see it passed out everyday on this forum, thanks".

My 2008 new years wish is, everytime someone contributes to the good of another, I hope it makes them feel good.

Gerald I hope you get these same good feelings (on a grand scale) everytime someone builds a MechMate, everytime someone wants to try to make it better, everytime someone posts a picture.

Welcome home, it's good to have you back. It's also good to be back. J.R.

ps ........ great pictures

sailfl
Mon 07 January 2008, 06:41
Gerald

It is nice to have you back. Things have been slow on the board without you. It is nice to see so much chatter.

I map quested you today. I didn't realize you were so close to the end down there. The country side is very rugged and much like our Western states. The Greensfield Manor is some fancy place stuck in the wild.

Though I have not started, I am grateful to generous spirit and the others that contribute to the knowledge base of this forum. I am eager to build.

Gerald D
Mon 07 January 2008, 06:41
Well said J.R.!

Doug, that is thatch on that roof, but the layered style is not typical of our common thatch roofs. (Franshoek info here (http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=IRFA,IRFA:2006-24,IRFA:en&q=franshoek+ficksburg&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi) - no, I don't play polo)

This is a well-respected thatching company: http://www.lqt.co.za/index.html - nice photo gallery

Gerald D
Mon 07 January 2008, 09:19
In the picture above the Chinese Surgery photo, what language is that on the sign? Afrikaan?

That language is supposed to be Sesotho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sotho_language), to be read by the Basotho people living in Lesotho. (Note prefixes Se- Ba- and Le- to the word sotho). But, it is shop sign stuff and very far from pure Sesotho.
"Jo Burg" is the common nickname for Johannesburg, an exotic city to them. "Ha" I think is "of". But the "t'sehla" seems to be "yellow man" or "lion cub" - my wild guess is that it is for "chinaman". My guess is that the store's name is "The Chinaman from Johannesburg".
LIKOBO is blanket (Sotho blankets (http://www.malealea.co.ls/basotho_culture_blankets.html) are famous in their own right)
LICOMFOTER is probably a misspelling for comforter (duvet), a foreign concept.
LINIGHT FRILL for the foreign (to their culture) "night frill" which you guys may call something else. (pleated linen around the perimeter of a bed - only has a decorative function)

You asked about "Afrikaan(s)". The language Afrikaans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrikaans) (my late mother's language) is something completely different. This is derived from Dutch/German/English and the slaves imported into South Africa. (South Africa was the only country to import slaves into Africa - mainly for their skills as artisans - from Batavia, Malaysia, etc.)

Gerald D
Mon 07 January 2008, 09:52
would you have been permitted to shoot those mountain zebra if you had happened to have a rifle in your vehicle? Do they belong to someone or are they just running wild? I realize that your wife probably wouldn't have wanted to finish the trip with a dead zebra strapped to the roof of your car :D so I was wondering about the laws.

While I'm on the subject, what are your gun laws like? Can you carry a pistol while traveling or on a daily basis around your home town?

Our gun law: http://www.info.gov.za/gazette/bills/2000/b34-00.pdf

Certainly wouldn't have been permitted to shoot the zebra - not even if they didn't taste like horse. Those zebra happened to be in a national park. All larger "game" are in national parks, or private reserve areas, there are no lions in our streets. We do get baboons around this corner of Cape Town, but you are definitely not allowed to shoot them. (Also, discharging a firearm in a public place is an automatic offence)

People can carry firearms as they move around, but they must be completely covered. Generally you see very little evidence of guns here - except at the casualty department of the hospital. In my social circle I guess that less than 10% own guns. My in-laws are mostly from the northern parts and there I would guess the ownership is nearer to 80%.

DMS
Mon 07 January 2008, 10:07
Many of landscapes above and shrubs and bushes are alike Rajasthan,
Oh yes these both were parts of ones Gondvanaland.
Even cow/calf sitting in the middle of road looks very familier :)
Nice photos Gerald, Water, mountains, Zebra in wild attracts me.

Doug_Ford
Mon 07 January 2008, 11:49
Do you have part interest in a travel agency?:)

Very interesting. I'd love a thatched roof on my future Cape Dutch house but I can only imagine what the insurance rates would be.

Thanks for the info on the Zebras. After I posted my questions last night, I Googled SA safaris. They are a little out of my price range so I guess I'll have to keep buying lottery tickets and dreaming.

I also started reading about all of the languages spoken in SA. Do you speak any languages in addition to English and Afrikaans? How about the language that consists of clicks and whistles? I don't remember which one that was.

I've always been fascinated with South Africa. In the early 80s, I rented the movie Breaker Morant so many times that when I would announce my intention to rent a video for the evening, my wife would always shout, as I walked out the door, "Get anything but Breaker Morant."

One last question. Did you travel by car or bakkie?

Gerald D
Mon 07 January 2008, 12:15
Hey, where did you learn about bakkie (http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-07,GGLD:en&q=bakkie&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi)s? :)
Travelled in a VW Touran (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2005-07%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=VW+Touran&btnG=Search+Images) 2-wheel (front) drive.

My two languages are only English & Afrikaans. To my regret I know more German than any of the other "official" languages of SA. (We have eleven(!) official languages). The click language is Xhosa.

Oddly enough, but I have never seen the Breaker Morant movie - will have to look for it some time!

domino11
Mon 07 January 2008, 13:50
Gerald,
Welcome back. Wow your pictures are incredible. :) I really have to come visit sometime. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Doug_Ford
Mon 07 January 2008, 19:12
Gerald,

I found the term bakkies on a list of SA lingo. Breaker Morant is about some Brit soldiers on trial during the Boer war. Our legal instructor at the infantry school used parts of the movie to teach about the Law of Warfare. I think it was made by Australian moviemakers.

domino11
Thu 16 October 2008, 10:03
Moved from elsewhere

Gerald,
No problems, Dankie vir die moeite. (Did I get that right?) :)

Gerald D
Thu 16 October 2008, 10:16
Heath you got it 100%, but I doubt if you will produce a recognisable pronounciation of "moeite". I can't think of a common english word that comes even close.

domino11
Thu 16 October 2008, 12:14
How about

mow ehh tay ?

Gerald D
Thu 16 October 2008, 12:25
I don't think that is even close, and I am racking my dusty brain for a similar sound in common english . . . . .

Gerald D
Thu 16 October 2008, 12:33
The "oei" part is vaguely similar to the center part of Louis, cooey, shoeing....a quick change from oo to ee in one syllable.

The "te" is the same as the "te" in butter

Gerald D
Thu 16 October 2008, 12:35
http://www.mieliestronk.com/phrase1.html

Marc Shlaes
Thu 16 October 2008, 14:16
The way you are describing it, it sounds like an O with umlaut in German. Usually transliterated into oe in written language.

Doug_Ford
Thu 16 October 2008, 17:32
http://www.mieliestronk.com/phrase1.html

Dit was baie vriendelik van jou.

domino11
Fri 17 October 2008, 06:44
Probeer dit. :)

http://www.freedict.com/onldict/afr.html

Gerald D
Fri 17 October 2008, 07:15
Heath, the title of that web site is "English to African Dictionary" which is a huge mistake! The language is Afrikaans, not "African".

domino11
Fri 17 October 2008, 08:33
Gerald,
Oops, it does translate a lot of the words seemingly correctly though. I wonder if they just messed up the title? What would the difference be for African and Afrikaans? Are they at all similar? This is more complicated than I thought. :) If you input some tough Afrikaans words does it give you the proper english equivalent?

Gerald D
Fri 17 October 2008, 09:16
Heath, the phrases you have produced up to now have been 100%, so I don't have to go and test it.

There is some political tension between African and Afrikaans. African is a word claimed by ethnic (black) Africans and often they don't accept Afrikaans-speakers as being African. (Curiously, Egyptians and other Arabic country folk are often also excluded from identifying as African - probably similar to Mexicans and Canadians not being considered as Americans). Afrikaans is mostly (but incorrectly) considered to be a white language spoken by pioneering settlers out here, and "Africans" rebelled against Afrikaans being taught to them. But there is a huge non-white group also with Afrikaans as its home language, even in our neighbouring country Namibia. Some Afrikaans speakers would vehemently deny that they are Africans, others would vehemently insist. Afrikaans is primarily a language, and also a definition of a culture to some extent. There is no language called African. The two words do not sit comfortably side-by-side and it is a big mistake to use them interchageably as that web site does.

Gerald D
Fri 17 October 2008, 09:28
Some recommended reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrikaner

For people wanting to get a broad feeling of the politics out here, try reading The Covenant (http://www.amazon.com/Covenant-James-Michener/dp/0449214206) by James A Michener which is a fiction novel. Of course he builds more drama into the book than what we see in everyday life, but that is what sells books.

Doug_Ford
Fri 17 October 2008, 19:01
Fascinating article Gerald. Something I found particularly interesting was the following quote:

"While some conservative trekker and frontier descended Afrikaners still cherish the nametag 'Boer', others view it as an obsolete and even pejorative term when used in an ethnic context.

Would you South African forum members agree with this statement? In south Louisiana, the term "coon ass" is like that. Friends can use that term but an outsider using it would be in trouble. "Redneck" is another one. Lots of people would probably consider me a redneck but I would only allow my buddies to call me that.

Gerald D
Fri 17 October 2008, 21:45
Yes Doug, I broadly agree with the article and its observations. I am not a "pure" Afrikaner and have also been called a rooinek (redneck) by afrikaners because I have an English surname. But the meaning is totally different to yours - our rooinek goes back to the Anglo-Boer War, which today is called the South African War because of political correctness. Rooinek is a fairly harmless handle here today. There are a handful of names that are very contentious because of their ethnic connotations. The most well-known abroad is the "K..... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_(historical_usage_in_southern_Africa))" word. The origin of that word is interesting - it was used/coined by the first slave traders in Africa, the Arabs who operated on the east side of the continent. Which sort of explains why Africans don't see Arab-Africans as Africans. It gets very complicated!

Marc Shlaes
Sat 18 October 2008, 07:05
Gerald, this is very interesting. I clicked on the "k" link and learned more. Rename this thread and keep it. I know that you have sparked a lot of interest in learning more about your bit of the world. That is good. Thanks.

Doug_Ford
Sat 18 October 2008, 16:35
I agree with Marc. I've learned a lot about SA on this forum. Thanks. I'm coming over there for a visit one day.

Gerald D
Sat 18 October 2008, 21:59
Have joined last few posts to an earlier thread.

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 19 October 2008, 00:14
Hi Doug when you come to visit I will have a room available in Brakpan to use as base when you want to explore the Johannesburg area. Now is this not called an incentive. We can talk Afrikaans all the time

Gerald D
Sun 19 October 2008, 00:37
Kobus, I will be out your way next week, Tues to Thurs., can I come and visit?

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 19 October 2008, 00:57
Sure how about supper one evening.
Supper and room. Your call

Lex
Sun 19 October 2008, 02:57
Doug,
I would be one of those guys that they call a Boer. But still the matter is not a simple one as Gerald did mentioned. There is great conflict between the different thinking Afrikaners. You get those that are extremely right and then we can go across the scale to extremely left. I see myself somewhere in the middle. I am not overly conservative but very proud of my heritage. I am busy with some research on my ancestors and I found that from the early days they were very independent individuals. I think most South Africans are. Thats why we make such excellent Inventors. :D We are still like that today. To disagree with each other is a very common thing. I think it is because of all the different nationalities that have a part in our make up. Dutch, French, small part Irish, Scottish and local Koi, Hottentot (which a lot of snob Afrikaners doesn't want to know!:)). There is even eastern blood in some of us as well. (Slave women - early Cape)

Gerald D
Sun 19 October 2008, 03:18
That last comment by Johan on eastern slave blood is something that foreigners find intriguing. Africa is well-known to have "exported" slaves....however, the Dutch in South Africa imported slaves to Africa. These were Malaysian/Indonese/Javanese artisans brought in as skilled labour. Today they are a significant community, particularly in the Cape Town area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Malays

Marc Shlaes
Sun 19 October 2008, 13:00
I know I just said this but...

There are many, of which I am one, who love learning about other cultures, and points of view. It is way more fun to learn it directly from those people with another point of view than to simply read about it.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate the time.

hennie
Sun 19 October 2008, 23:50
Kobus you need to start taking those bike spares off that worktable :)

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 20 October 2008, 02:20
You are so sharp Hennie, the problem is WHERE to put all the rubbish. Gerald will just have to take it as it is....LEKKER DEURMEKAAR.:o

Gerald D
Mon 20 October 2008, 02:31
Kobus, I think Hennie was suggesting some space for me to sleep. Hey, you all know I prefer dirty tables to clean ones. :)

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 20 October 2008, 03:09
Bull twang you cannot sleep on my MM, that space is reserved for when the BOSS throws me out of the house....Nice Hennie ...putting my guests up in the shed is no option, maybe in the Eastern Cape :D

hennie
Mon 20 October 2008, 07:57
Come on make the Big boss feel at home with your MM.I didn`t know MechMates can build motor bikes .Maybe A Yamie but not a suzie:D
Gerald can pick Sedgefield or Plett.

Doug_Ford
Tue 21 October 2008, 17:59
Thanks Kobus. I'm broke right now but someday I hope to have enough cash to visit y'all. By then, you probably will have forgotten who I am. :)

Johan, I'm proud of my heritage also and have done some genealogy research over the past few years. The internet makes it much easier now.

To all of the SAers, thanks for teaching us about your culture.

Lex
Tue 21 October 2008, 23:47
Doug, You must send me some of that internet references. I would like to know more about other peoples culture and history. Movies tends to distort everything.
Groete(Regards)

domino11
Wed 22 October 2008, 07:34
Gerald can pick Sedgefield or Plett. Cannot for the life of me figure this one out.

Also stuggling with Bull Twang, but sorta got the gist of it I think, or maybe not. :eek:

hennie
Wed 22 October 2008, 07:47
Heath

Sedgefield is a small holiday town also in the Garden Route and Plett is the holiday town where I work & live.If things go according to plan and we don`t drink ourselves to death because of this year that has gone past I will start building my second house in Sedgefield in January then when Gerald come to my side of the country He can stay there or he can stay in Plett.The condition is that if he comes he needs to bring his fishing rod with.:D
Gerald note that everybody that comes and visits that look older than me becomes my little ones ouma & oupa!:D

gmessler
Wed 22 October 2008, 18:53
Hey Gerald,

This photo came as one pic in an email to me today titled 8 amazing holes.
The caption read :
Apparently the largest ever hand-dug excavation in the world, this 1097 meter deep mine yielded over 3 tons of diamonds before being closed in 1914.

It looks incredible!!

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 23 October 2008, 05:15
Hi Dough,

The time to visit South Africa is NOW....with the exchange rate at the moment you can have a very nice holiday for very few dollars. Rate is around R 1.00 / $ 12.00
A pizza (medium) will set you back R 40.00...about $3.33 ??

On special I can get a Pizza for around R 26.00......NOW is the TIME

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 23 October 2008, 05:19
Be aware you Mech Mate Builders Big Brother :D is Watching you and he intends inspecting each and every MM being build. The good news is he is light on drinks and did not eat much, but we had a nice chat during the BRAAI.

Lex
Thu 23 October 2008, 05:57
Not much of a inspection! Everything is full of dust!

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 23 October 2008, 06:01
Just the way the Boss likes it !

hennie
Thu 23 October 2008, 06:34
And some oil!:)

gmessler
Thu 23 October 2008, 07:30
Great photo guys!!:)

Gerald D
Thu 23 October 2008, 13:14
Greg, I flew over that hole 2 hours ago, on the way back from Jo'burg.

smreish
Thu 23 October 2008, 13:53
...boy I bet your arms are tired! :p

domino11
Thu 23 October 2008, 14:01
Gerald,
When are you doing the North American Inspections? I want to make sure my machine is done in time. :)

Gerald D
Thu 23 October 2008, 14:02
Okay then . . . . I sat over that hole.

Does that sound better? :p

Gerald D
Thu 23 October 2008, 14:04
Heath, you are safe for a looong time. :(

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 23 October 2008, 22:23
That hole is where my great grandfather planted carrots....:D

Sat over the hole...that sounds even worse :o

Lex
Thu 23 October 2008, 22:57
We need to talk a little bit about culture today!:D
Blue looks nice on a machine:cool: but it looks 'exhaust product' on a Rugby Jersey!!:eek:

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 23 October 2008, 23:15
I am PROUD of you Johan keep up the correct support..that is my team as well..born and bred a "piesang boer"

Alan_c
Sat 25 October 2008, 15:34
Congrats to the Piesang Boere on the win today, they were deserving winners, being a Province Boytjie at least it went to a coastal team :p

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 25 October 2008, 23:22
Thanks Alan it was a tough final.

Lex
Sun 26 October 2008, 01:24
Thanks Alan! It was a sweet victory:) I nearly had a heart attack when they lost the broadcast link during the match.:eek: Luckly the radio was on standby! The 'Blue Bull" fans were nowhere to be seen afterwards in our residential area!:p

Doug_Ford
Thu 30 April 2009, 16:49
Gerald (and all my other South African friends),

My brother traveled to SA recently and LOVED it. He sent an email to my mother and told her that it is his favorite place on earth. He's lived and traveled all over the globe so that's a huge compliment. I'm not sure exactly where he went but I believe it was a wine producing area. My mom couldn't remember the name but she said it sounded German. Eventually, I'll get a chance to speak with him and I'll let y'all know where he was.

Also, I wanted y'all to know that I haven't stopped checking in with this forum. I retired from the Army in Jan and I've been job hunting and working on my house but I try to log in once or twice a week to see if I have any PMs. If I can help anyone, please don't hesitate to ask. Also, I bought an old Army jeep that I'm restoring.

Thanks again Gerald. You'll always be my hero. :)

Gerald D
Thu 30 April 2009, 22:12
That "german" wine producing area must be Stellenbosch. (Actually Dutch origins)

that's the town where I was born and where I studied engineering - it is about 25 miles east of Cape Town

Hey, good to hear from you again Doug!

sailfl
Fri 01 May 2009, 04:16
Doug,

You are back as a leerker....... just the other day, I was wondering why we haven't heard from you. Good luck on finding a job and contragulations on your retirement.

wobblybootie
Mon 04 May 2009, 08:37
Hi Guys,

I have been lurking and reading everything I can while attempting to make space for my build (a slow process) but I have aquired some steel and I may well start with the rails... meanwhile...

We Brits seem to have a had a penchant for rubbing folks up the wrong way during our Colonial past. I think that at one time or another we have managed to pi*s just about everyone off!!

In reference to this post (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7465&postcount=18):
Harry 'Breaker' Harbord Morant (9 December 1864 – 27 February 1902) was an Anglo-Austrailian, horseman, poet and soldier whose renowned skill with horses earned him the nickname "The Breaker." Articulate, intelligent, and well-educated, he was also a published poet and became one of the better-known "back-block bards" of the 1890s, with the bulk of his work appearing in "The Bulletin" magazine.
During service in the Second Boer War, Morant was a Lieutenant in the Bushvelt Carbineers and was responsible for the summary execution of several Boer prisoners and a German missionary, Daniel Heese, who had been a witness to the shootings. His actions led to his controversial court martial for murder; his death warrent, was personally signed by the British commander in South Africa, Lord Kitchener, although he subsequently denied the issuance of it. Morant was executed for murder by a contingent of Cameron Highlanders (a regiment of the British Army) in Pretoria gaol on 27 February 1902. He was used as a scapegoat for British Policy.
In the century since his death, Morant has become a hero in Australia. His story has been the subject of several books and a major Australian film. Even during his lifetime, there was a great deal of conflicting information about this romantic but elusive figure, much of what we 'think' we know about him relies on what he, himself, told people - thus many of the stories about him are undoubtedly apocryphal.

My better half and I have often thought about emigrating to warmer parts. She is a Podiatrist and will soon qualify as a Podiatric Surgeon. Most Countries mainly Commonwealth or former Commonwealth will take her, but not me :( I am classed as a potential burden for their medical systems. Not forgetting the poxy UK Goverment would stop my War Pension thereby halving our income. Ho Hum, where's my Umbrella and wellies:rolleyes:

Gerald D
Mon 04 May 2009, 09:25
Tim, the name "Boer War" is no longer politically correct out here, but everyone knows what you mean. :) My father's side was Brit and my mother's side was Boer, so I can tell the following little bit of nonsense . . .

During that war, the Boer's guerilla tactics had the Brits in disarray - whereas the Brits started the war wearing red tunics so as to hide signs of blood, they ended the war wearing khaki coloured trousers so as to hide signs of . . . . . . .

domino11
Mon 04 May 2009, 10:36
Gerald,
What is the politically correct term then? Or is this a subject that is not easily discussed?

wobblybootie
Mon 04 May 2009, 11:19
Gerald,

Indeed lol hehe.

Our presence in India also helped to give the world Anglosised Currys as well as Khaki.

However at that time we Brits also invented (To our everlasting shame)the 'Concentration Camp':mad: and the Boer also gave us the term, 'Commando'.

As a retired 'Royal Marines Commando' I for one am very proud to have been able to use it. There are plenty of other Marine Corps but I am unaware of any other Corps that offically has that word as part of their title (I feel I am about to be proved wrong) LOL:o.

I am amazed that such a huge part of SA's history should not be PC unless it is associated (sp) with Apartheid, which is a bit of a long and tenious link and should be perhaps aimed more at the recent end of colonial rule and the failure then to make amends.

I think I shall shut up. Politics is perhaps best not discussed as things can be taken out of context too easily and hurt caused when there was no intention to do so.

I will however continue to believe that the GB has managed to cause some of the worlds most wide ranging and long lasting (in the words of Clint Eastwood) Cluster F**ks!!

Gerald D
Mon 04 May 2009, 12:24
The "South African War" is the preferred term these days as that war was not exclusively Anglo (Brit) vs Boer.

http://www.southafrica.info/about/history/war-graves-260905.htm

http://www.sahistory.org.za/pages/chronology/special-chrono/governance/1902-blkconcentrationcamp.htm

The term Anglo-Boer War is not regarded as offensive, just not conveying the full picture.

Gerald D
Mon 04 May 2009, 12:40
Having googled the names a bit more, I realise I may have the wrong end of the PC stick here. . . . :confused:

Doug_Ford
Mon 04 May 2009, 19:42
The other night, I watched Breaker Morant again on TV for what was probably the 50th time. Outstanding film.

Lex
Mon 04 May 2009, 23:20
I do not want to go into much depth about this topic. There is still a lot of bad feeling among the older people in our country. The film of Breaker Morant is typical holywood. Not much true in it. My grand father was a Cape rebel. I did a lot of research on the topic and can write a lot of things about the war. As a matter of fact I am currently busy writing a book about my grand father's expierence. He used a alias 'Johannes Strydsman' when the Brittish captured him to hide his true identity. Strydsman means warrior.

Gerald D
Mon 04 May 2009, 23:25
Lex, last night I found this thesis (http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-03072006-095936/unrestricted/00front.pdf) which may interest you.

Lex
Tue 05 May 2009, 01:52
Thanks Gerald! It will give me something new to read in bed before I go to sleep. :)

Gerald D
Tue 05 May 2009, 04:34
Johan, that thesis is in lots of parts (separate files on the www), but you should see an index in the left column if you are using Acrobat Reader, and you can click to the next part from there.

Doug_Ford
Tue 05 May 2009, 20:42
Gerald,

My sister-in-law just flew in from Kenya and we got to visit tonight. You called it correctly. They stayed in Stellenbosch. She went to SA for some kind of training and thought it was so wonderful that she called my brother after one day and told him he HAD to fly down there. Tonight she gushed for at least 30 minutes about how great SA is. She said it is absolute paradise and the steak she ate one night was the best she had ever had. I believe she told me they visited the Asara winery. Then again when she was leaving, she talked about how beautiful Capetown and SA is. She said they'd love to live there and are definitely going back for a vacation.

I sure hope I can visit one day.

Gerald D
Tue 05 May 2009, 21:09
We will invite you to the "MechMate Center" for training, then you can claim a tax deduction when you visit. :D

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 25 May 2009, 00:24
I am posting this here because it has to do with our South African issues. Why must one always being ripped-off by dealers. My BlackBerry battery is starting to play up. It is a C-S2 type for the BlackBerry Curve. Phoning around the prices in South Africa is beteen R 500.00 - R650.00 (about $58.00 - $76.00.

Searching the internet I got a price of $ 1.67 on the Amazon site .... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CDYDXE/ref=_m_A2MST4UOVLVIDN_5?ie=UTF8&m=A2MST4UOVLVIDN&n=301185&s=merchant&v=glance

The postage is a bit high, but man what a big difference in price.

I wonder how much it will be for somebody in America to order 2 x C-S2 batteries, pop them into a small padded envelope and post it to South Africa ?

I hate being ripped-off like this.

Doug_Ford
Mon 25 May 2009, 19:32
I'll be happy to do that for you Kobus.

How many do you want? Also, I guess you need to send me a PM with your mailing address so I know how to address the envelope. When I clicked on the link, the price had dropped to $1.49!!!!

Doug_Ford
Mon 25 May 2009, 19:42
I saw my brother this weekend and he said he is in love with Cape Town and Stellenbosch in particular. Dave said it was immaculate, breathtakingly gorgeous and the prices were super reasonable. He said the wine was out of this world and cheaper than the water. He is dying to retire there. He convinced my wife and I that we HAVE to visit paradise as soon as possible. He said the South Africans were fantastic.

hennie
Mon 25 May 2009, 22:47
And it is so true!:)

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 25 May 2009, 23:07
Thanks for the offer Doug, but JR contacted me and offered to get them...just waiting for his reply.

J.R. Hatcher
Tue 26 May 2009, 08:52
OH! I'm sorry for not replying (didn't know you wanted me to). They are on the way to me. I'll let you know when I receive them. Ordered them yesterday.

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 26 May 2009, 23:02
Thanks JR, will mail you the delivery address.

Doug_Ford
Mon 15 June 2009, 18:41
Gerald,

How about some pictures from your trip? I really enjoyed the last set you posted.

Gerald D
Mon 15 June 2009, 22:01
Doug, this time we hardly took any pics. It was a family re-union and then some time in a game reserve where the weather didn't play along. I saw cheetah for the first time in the wild, but my pocket camera wouldn't do them justice at about 80 yards. For the rest, the animals were all standard issue: Elephant, lion, rhino, buffalo, kudu, waterbuck, nyala, impala, giraffe, wildebeest, meerkat, warthog, ostrich, hornbill, baboon. And then, 2 days in the city of Johannesburg.

sailfl
Mon 15 June 2009, 23:01
Gerald,

Standard issue with the animals is a rare thing for us. I would love the opportunity to see a few of those in the wild.

Gerald D
Tue 16 June 2009, 01:55
Spot the lions . . . . (That river at sunset has crocs and hippos, but the river bank is vertical at that point)

Gerald D
Tue 16 June 2009, 02:03
More interesting stuff, all taken at the Rendezvous Tourism Centre: (http://www.rendez.co.za/default.htm)

Gerald D
Tue 16 June 2009, 02:07
Donna, if you reading this, all pics above resized with Irfanview (resize to 640 wide, sharpen, save at 90% quality). Original pics were 3264 wide, over 1.5 MByte.

Alan_c
Tue 16 June 2009, 02:26
2 days in the city of Johannesburg.

Which was probably more scary than all the Elephant, lion, rhino, buffalo, kudu, waterbuck, nyala, impala, giraffe, wildebeest, meerkat, warthog, ostrich, hornbill, baboon. :) No offence Kobus

hennie
Tue 16 June 2009, 02:55
We are going to Jhb the end of the month for a week,taking the kids on a train trip to visit the old peaple and to start collecting parts for smaller #2 so will be flying over Midrand and Brakpan.:)

Gerald D
Tue 16 June 2009, 03:22
Hey, Johannesburg is not such a bad place! Granted, there are some large no-go areas, but there is an economic buzz there that is far bigger than anywhere else in this country. And there are some very nice suburbs, with very pleasant weather too! Did the typical strolling at Melrose Arch, Montecasino, Sandton City, Melville, Zoo Lake and then for a reality check drove through Hillbrow, Joubert Park, and down Jeppe Street to Newtown.

hennie
Tue 16 June 2009, 03:35
Grew up in Melville,those where the days my mother still looked after me:)(sevende laan)
Gerald, even the boys up in the north feel the slump at the moment.The Brow probably still looks the same

sailfl
Tue 16 June 2009, 05:40
Gerald,

Only the buildings with the tourist center have the decorations and are these government buildings?

Gerald D
Tue 16 June 2009, 06:33
That tourist center is privately owned and was newly built, modelled on the buildings in nearby Pilgrims Rest (http://www.pilgrims-rest.co.za/index.html). The jigsaw cut fascia boards are over-the-top but some people like them.

domino11
Tue 16 June 2009, 06:55
Gerald,
Was that chicken, pork ribs and steak on the BBQ or maybe something more exotic?

Gerald D
Tue 16 June 2009, 08:27
Nothing more exotic than chicken, pork ribs and lamb rib chops.

Doug_Ford
Tue 16 June 2009, 14:33
Wow!! Great pics. Thanks.

Like I said in an earlier post, my brother has turned into a one man South African tourist agency and he said so many nice things about your country, he's persuaded my parents into vacationing there for their next trip. I've been persuaded too but my bank account won't cooperate at the moment

Lex
Tue 16 June 2009, 23:24
Nice pictures.
I am long overdue for a trip to the nature reserve. Nothing like a braai at sun set!:)

Gerald D
Wed 17 June 2009, 02:22
Doug, I would be happy to meet your parents when they are around here. We can exchange phone numbers if they want to know some locals for "back-up" - I am sure that the other S.Africans will offer their numbers as well. We are well spread out, and fairly close to the typical tourist routes.

Lex
Wed 17 June 2009, 03:08
Anytime. Just say the word.

hennie
Wed 17 June 2009, 04:49
always a spare room .

Lex
Wed 17 June 2009, 06:41

This photo was circulated by e-mail recently. A farmer at Harrismith took the photo of the two meerkatte. I am not sure what they are called in English.
Afrikaans is a very descriptive language, but sometimes we get it wrong. The direct translation for Meerkat is a 'Lake cat'. I have never seen them close to a lake. :confused:
Another word is 'Tuinslang' which translates to garden snake. A hose pipe! A little more descriptive.

Doug_Ford
Wed 17 June 2009, 09:03
Wow!!! Thanks Gerald, Johan, and Hennie. That is extremely generous of y'all. I'm sure they wouldn't like to impose on any of you but I'm sure that they'd love to get some advice on where to eat, what to see, and what to avoid.

I'll let them know. Thanks again.

Alan_c
Wed 17 June 2009, 09:08
A slghtly bigger "slang"

A farmer up North was concerned about his sheep going missing so installed an electrc fence...this is what he found one morning.

That’s only a Python, they are not poisonous….I didn’t say that they are harmless, just not poisonous, best to stay away from the sharp end…:rolleyes:

Gerald D
Wed 17 June 2009, 09:12
The "where to eat, what to see, and what to avoid" is well-covered by guide books, and even though we are happy to help out there, I was thinking more along the lines of car problems, needing to find a decent doctor and other stuff they may be a little apprehensive of before venturing out here.

Gerald D
Wed 17 June 2009, 09:19
That python had an impala (http://images.google.co.za/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4IRFA_enZA279ZA280&q=Aepyceros%20melampus&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi) ewe (hornless) in its belly:

http://www.bushveld.co.za/pictures-python.htm

domino11
Wed 17 June 2009, 10:29
Wow,
I guess you would not want to leave your dog outside around there at night. :)

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 17 June 2009, 13:05
I am also available in the Johannesburg area. At the moment I am travelling across SA doing site visits with Contractors for future SDH radio and fibre optic expansions on our telecomms network. Spend all of last week from the Natal midlands to Durban and from there to Empangeni. Sorry Lex did not have time to see you this time around. This week we started at Sabie and worked our way to Komatipoort on the border. Last night in Witbank and tonight in Bethal. Tomorrow on towards Ermelo and then back home

hennie
Wed 17 June 2009, 13:11
Kobus get another phone that works when I call you:)

hennie
Wed 17 June 2009, 13:15
Just got your sms, did you mean your battery is not so good or the phone:)Will pop in.

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 17 June 2009, 13:18
Only battery problem. Phone is ok when plugged into external source. Man what a pain when you are on the road.

Lex
Wed 17 June 2009, 23:27
Sorry to have missed you Kobus, but they say work before play.
Maybe next time.

Doug_Ford
Thu 18 June 2009, 14:06
Gotcha Gerald. They will appreciate that. And thanks Kobus. At the moment, I'm not sure when they plan to visit.

ALAN!!! ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL MY DESIRE TO VISIT SA? I HATE Snakes. We had a lot of them on our property where I grew up but I never got used to them. I became a one man snake annihilation machine.

sailfl
Thu 18 June 2009, 15:16
Alan,

Nice set of teeth on that snake.

Doug,

I hope you don't kill all snakes. We need all of them - like every thing they have their place. I have a couple black snakes in my back yard. They are harmless so they are good to have around.

Lex
Thu 18 June 2009, 23:53
I agree with Doug. It is only the brown house snake that I will leave alone. The rest must die!
There is a lot of differant snakes in our area from the tree variety to the green and black mambas. I do not see so many since I but up some concrete walling years ago. I have only seen black mambas a couple of times over the years will driving on rural roads. Never anything close to the house. They are very shy snakes but deadly when they are cornered.

Jan de Ruyter
Fri 19 June 2009, 00:09
Doug,
The snake is more scared of you than you of him. The most problematic type of snake is an adder (genus: Bites), they don't flee. Once caught one 91cm long, thick as my arm.

Most people get bitten when playing with snakes. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone. If they invade your living space, they are most probably looking for food: rats, mice & frogs.

Jan

Alan_c
Fri 19 June 2009, 02:15
Sorry Doug, not trying to scare you...Its not that bad, as Johan said for the most part you have to go looking for them. Down here in the Cape we are relativly safe, the worst ones being the Cape Cobra and Puff Adder which are mostly up in the mountains and for the most part shy(although as Jan said, the Puffy is one to watch out for as he will not get out of your way until you stand on him....:eek:) On the farm here the last Cobra we had was about 15 years ago. The real nasties are up north and in KwaZuluNatal.

At least we dont have Rattle snakes breezing into our workshops for a visit...

hennie
Fri 19 June 2009, 02:45
we have some good size poffies in our area between the fynbos .

Alan_c
Fri 19 June 2009, 05:25
Ons'n is meestals in die klubs in daai area van kaapstad,..., O jammer dit was 'n P, nie 'n M nie :D

Gerald D
Fri 19 June 2009, 05:42
daardie "agtermekaar" kęrels?

hennie
Fri 19 June 2009, 07:28
Alan what are you puffing:DJa Gerald sit sit so!:)

Doug_Ford
Sat 20 June 2009, 10:31
Nils: I kill ALL snakes.

Jan: If the snake is more afraid of me why isn't it the one that's running away and screaming like a 4 year old girl. :D

Tarantulas, rodents, and bats don't bother me but snakes are another story.

Jan de Ruyter
Sat 20 June 2009, 23:32
Hi Doug,
Probably because its paralysed by the noise!

Now rodents, that's another story. Once had a teacher and a mouse ran up her leg. She squeezed a gallon of water out of the poor mouse.

Jan

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 21 June 2009, 00:47
Just an update on my BlackBerry battery issue. JR's package was waiting for me when I arrived from my trip around the country on Friday. Thanks JR I am now back on the air. Just an interesting observation. If I have ordered the stuff directly the postage was quoted as $90.00. I see on the parcel from JR a price for postage of $3.02. Why would a company that sell equipment so cheaply charge so much for postage to extrnal Countries. JR popped it into a bubble envelope and it arrived without any customs issues

sailfl
Sun 21 June 2009, 03:48
Kobus

J.R. is an individual and not a corporation. Some times business charge more for shipping and handling and they some time fall under regulations that individuals don't Batteries are considered harzadous material and a company has to follow guidelines for shipping such mateial.

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 21 June 2009, 05:04
They would most likely popped it into a bag and shipped it just like he did. Well at least I got my stuff and it did not cost me an arm and a leg.

J.R. Hatcher
Sun 21 June 2009, 07:19
Kobus, glad I could help. If I can help in the future just let me know.
I WAS getting a little concerned when it took so long to get there. If I had to do again I would send it with a tracking #, We were lucky:). But then I've always said "I would rather be lucky than good":p

Alan_c
Sat 11 July 2009, 09:28
We have just returned from a week in the Klein Karoo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_Karoo)(Little Karoo). A semi desert area between two mountain ranges parallel to the southern coast. (Swartberg in the North, and Langeberg in the South) This area is well known for Ostritch farming, Port (the drinking kind) and many natural attractions.

We stayed at Calitzdorp Spa (http://www.calitzdorpspa.co.za/), a natural hot spring resort (water at the eye is around 52 deg C). Trips were done to the Cango Caves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cango_Caves), Cango Wildlife Ranch (http://www.cango.co.za/), Highgate Ostritch Farm (http://www.highgate.co.za/) and the CP Nel Museum (http://www.cpnelmuseum.co.za/home.php).

5218 5219
Along the way, we passed through the Tradouw Pass, one of the many built by Andrew Bain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Geddes_Bain)and his son Thomas Bain in the 1800's (By hand - no machinery in those days, only explosives and prison labour) A distant family ancestor on my Mom's side.

5220 5221
Route 62 is the main route through the Klein Karoo and extends as far as Port Elizabeth. Ronnies Sex Shop is a roadside tavern serving ice cold beer and light meals (a blessing in the hot Karoo, especially in the summer). The "sex" part of the name was added by some of Ronnies friends as a joke, he left it there and it has just helped to make the place even more famous. Almost every tourist bus stops there for refreshments - he's doing a roaring trade and really is in the middle of nowhere.

Huisrivier pass, another pass along the way, this one is unique in that it is sort of upside down, instead of going over the top of a mountain, this one decends down to the river at the bottom and then back up the next mountain.

5223 5224
The (very) cold pool and Hot spring pool (temp about 38 deg C).

5225 5226
Morning visitors in the resort.

View of the resort at sunrise from the mountain.

5228 5229
Flowstone and dripstone formations inside Cango Caves.

5230 5231
Steffi and Liam doing stress test on Ostritch Eggs (good for 120Kg on their side and 210Kg on their ends) Steffi trying an Ostritch for comfort.

Ostritch racing.

Highly endangered Cape Vulture.

Nile Crocodile.

Maribu Stork.

Lion enjoying meal of donkey meat.

Bengall Tiger (Not endemic to Africa, but part of a worldwide gene pool project).

Cheetah (Great progess is being made in gene pool diversification with captive breeding).

Me with Steffi and her newest best friend.

Kakebeenwa (Jaw Bone Wagon - after the shape of the sides) Used by our ancestors to trek (move) into the interior in the 1700's to escape British domination. Usually drawn by a team of 10 to 14 oxen.

Sunset in Africa.

Gerald D
Sat 11 July 2009, 10:12
Nice holiday Alan!

(The readers must realise that this is the middle of our winter, and our 3 week school holiday is about to end)

Lex
Sat 11 July 2009, 10:13
Mooi fotos Alan.
Eich! Nou verlang ek na die Kaap.

sailfl
Sat 11 July 2009, 10:18
Alan,

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

Gerald D
Sat 11 July 2009, 10:27
Did you visit Rose of the Karoo (http://www.roseofthekaroo.co.za/) for a meal? If not, you had better go back! :) Other places I like in that area are Ebenharts (http://www.ebenharts.co.za/) (fine craftmanship), and of course the 3 wine cellars making better port wines than the Portuguese - so they want us to change the name!

Alan_c
Sat 11 July 2009, 10:57
Didn't make it into The Rose (next time) but did look into Ebenharts and of course we visited the cellars, almost had to leave some of our clothes behind to make place for the boxes of Port, Jeripigo and Muskadel. :D Mmmmm Lekker!

Gerald D
Mon 13 July 2009, 02:33
I am currently reading Diamonds, Gold and War by Martin Meredith and enjoying it immensely. Learning a lot about our country's history that wasn't taught very well at school. Can recommend it to anyone that wants to understand the politics of this region.

Lex
Mon 13 July 2009, 04:03
Thanks for the info Gerald...ordered.. I have a good collection of history books but it is always refreshing to read another from a unknown writer. (to me anyway)

Doug_Ford
Mon 13 July 2009, 09:16
South Africa is a really beautiful place. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures for us. One day I'm going to visit. I might be in a wheelchair by then but I'll get there one day.

I visited all the links. Did you try Ostrich steaks at the ranch? If so, were they good?

Alan_c
Mon 13 July 2009, 09:52
Yes, very good, more tastey than beef with a hint of gameyness (meat is darker than beef) The price for the steak at the Ostrich ranch is less than half of what the restuarants in the town of Oudtshoorn itself charge?

The Cango wildlife ranch also does crocodile steaks - wanted to try them but ran out of time.

Doug - I sent you a mail to your personal address, did you not get it?

Doug_Ford
Mon 13 July 2009, 12:42
I just sent you a PM. My email address may need updating in my profile.

Doug_Ford
Mon 13 July 2009, 13:58
About 20 years ago, I bought a book on SA and the Boer War. I meant to read it but things just kept getting in the way. It was copywritten in 1900. This morning I picked it up and plowed through the first 96 pages. So far it has mainly been a discussion of the various European explorers, how the first Dutchmen started off building a place for East India ships to temporarily stop, some discussion of the Hugenot settlers, trekking Boers, discriptions of the Bantus and Hotentots and Chaka's bloody exploits.

I was wondering if the book had a pro-Boer or pro-British slant to it. So far, I can't detect any slant. However, here is an interesting quote in which the author describes a Boer Trekker: "The character of the Boer was thus formed, through the irritating interference of the Netherlands Company's officials, driving him to seek a place of perfect freedom, as that of a man accustomed to live alone and impatient of control; half wild in his strength and independence of spirit, his loss of fitness for political and social combination, and of willingness to submit to rule and restraint in the interests of true progress and civilization. His religion was the stern Calvinism of the Dutch Reformed Church. The Bible was his only book, and in that book his favorite pages were those of the Old Testament, dear, in its harsh morality and severe justice, to the English Puritans, who put to death their fallen sovereign...they were in many cases somewhat sullen and unsympathetic; seldom inhuman or depraved; generally shrewd, prudent, persevering, good-humored and hospitable."

I guess there are some aspects of that description that some men might not consider particularly complimentary but I'd be proud to be decribed in that fashion. If you substituted "American Cowboy" for "Boer" this could easily be a description of the men that settled the western US.

Alan_c
Mon 13 July 2009, 14:56
Remembering that these "settlers" had no Army, Cavalry or Government support, they entered a strange hostile land armed only with their wits, a few muskets, their Bible and the steely determination to succeed and determine their own future. This attitude is still very much alive today with all South Africans.

If that book was copyrited in 1900, the second Boer War was still on the go, only ending in 1902 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boer_War)

Doug_Ford
Mon 13 July 2009, 20:09
Yeah Alan, I kept reading into the afternoon and I'm now into the stories about the early settlers getting massacred in Unkunkinglove in the 1830s and how they responded. Those were some tough people. Their bravery is even more impressive with you think about the fact that this small group of men and women had only muskets to use against a force that was often 20 times or more larger. I realize the Zulus only had short spears but I bet they could cover 100 meters before you could reload your musket. In that situation, your Bible and your faith become more important than your physical weapons. (I just read about the technique the Boers used. They would fire a volley, retreat on horseback, reload, fire another volley, etc. Brilliant!)

1902 wasn't that long ago and I'm sure some people still have strong feelings about what went on. Heck, the Civil War in the US ended long before that but it is still a serious subject with some people.

Gerald D
Mon 13 July 2009, 20:53
The older books tend to romanticise the settlers in opposition to the "savage" natives whose land they were invading. I always felt that there is a side of the story that's missing after reading the older books, and that's why I am enjoying Diamonds, Gold and War so much - all sides seem to be fairly represented.

Doug_Ford
Mon 13 July 2009, 21:08
My wife was just reading an article in Travel and Leisure magazine. The August 2009 issue has the 14th annual readers' top hotel picks. The Bushmans Kloof in Cedar Mountains, South Africa was #1. Numbers 3, 6, 15, 24, 25, 27, 29 (two hotels in SA were tied for 29th), 34, 58, 60, and 77 were all in SA. The Twelve Apostles (#12) and Cape Grace (#58) are in Cape Town.

Doug_Ford
Mon 13 July 2009, 21:10
Then I'll pick up a copy of Diamonds, Gold, and War. Hopefully, I'll get around to reading it more quickly than I did my current book.

Gerald D
Mon 13 July 2009, 22:57
http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2009/results.cfm?cat=hotels

Lex
Mon 13 July 2009, 23:38
Who was the author of the book you are reading Doug?

I agree with you that there are a lot of similarities between the 'Boer' and the American 'Cowboy' I use to read all of Louis Lamour's books when I was younger.:cool:

This is what a English noble man wrote in 1902 about the Boers:

“Take a community of Dutchmen of the type of those who defended
themselves for fifty years against all the power of Spain at a time
when Spain was the greatest power in the world. Intermix with them
a strain of those inflexible French Huguenots who gave up home and
fortune and left their country for ever at the time of the
revocation of the Edict of Nantes.
The product must obviously be one of the most rugged, virile, unconquerable races ever seen upon earth.
Take this formidable people and train them for seven
generations in constant warfare against savage men and ferocious
beasts, in circumstances under which no weakling could survive,
place them so that they acquire exceptional skill with weapons and
in horsemanship, give them a country which is eminently suited to
the tactics of the huntsman, the marksman, and the rider. Then,
finally, put a finer temper upon their military qualities by a dour
fatalistic Old Testament religion and an ardent and consuming
patriotism. Combine all these qualities and all these impulses in
one individual, and you have the modern Boer. The most formidable
antagonist who ever crossed the path of Imperial Britain. Our
military history has largely consisted in our conflicts with
France, but Napoleon and all his veterans have never treated us so
roughly as these hard-bitten farmers with their ancient theology
and their inconveniently modern rifles.”
[The Great Boer War, Arthur Conan Doyle, printed Londen 1902]

Doug_Ford
Tue 14 July 2009, 07:44
Johan,

The author was Henry Houghton Beck.

That's some pretty high praise!! It feels especially good when it comes from a foe.

Doug_Ford
Tue 14 July 2009, 07:47
I checked out the websites for some of those SA hotels. Superswanky. When I finally make it down there, I doubt I'll be able to afford to stay in one of them. That's okay. I don't stay in places like that in the US and I wouldn't fit in there anyway.

Doug_Ford
Tue 14 July 2009, 13:03
Johan,

I was just rereading this thread when I found post #52 by you. In it, you asked me to forward some internet resources I had used in my genealogy research. For some reason, I overlooked it. In my opinion, the best genealogy link is: http://www.cyndislist.com/

Cyndi's List has tens of thousands of links to genealogy sites. I think there are 165 links associated with South Africa. The Mormon Church has great information also if you haven't already used them. Some of the older church members actually volunteer their time in their local church's research center assisting researchers. Don't worry, they won't try to convert you when you walk in. They just ask that you share your research results.

Gerald D
Tue 14 July 2009, 13:15
Hey, the Mormon's are great at sharing their research - look at Mike Richards! :)

Lex
Tue 14 July 2009, 23:26
Thanks Doug,
The Mormon and cyndislist are well know resources that I use. Thanks for the feed back. I appreciate that.
You are right, the Mormon's won't try and convert you when you walk in. Might lift an eye brow. Even more so when they see that it is a Afrikaner! Just doesn't want to go into a lengthy argument. Man, and can we argu and disagree. Even more so among ourselves!:D
Everyone his own boss with his own family and his own piece of land. Touch those and you start a war. :D:D

Doug_Ford
Wed 15 July 2009, 07:42
My comment wasn't intended as an insult against the Mormons and I sincerely apologize to anyone I might have offended by my imprecise use of the English language. The last person I would ever want to offend is Mike Richards who has shown nothing but kindness and selfless service to everyone on this forum. The Mormons are great people who translate their beliefs into action. My family has spent many an afternoon in our livingroom with fine upstanding young Mormon missionaries that I admired greatly.

I was simply trying to calm any fears Johan might have about whether the purpose of the research center was research or proselytism.

Now, I'm sick to my stomach that I might have offended Mike or anyone else.

Richards
Wed 15 July 2009, 08:01
Doug,

You did not offend me, in fact, your #162 post was very complimentary to our church and the genealogy research that it does.

Just like everyone else who posts on this forum, at the core, each of us is trying to help others over the rough spots in life whether it be in building a CNC machine or whether it be some other difficulty.

Doug_Ford
Wed 15 July 2009, 11:59
Whew. Thanks Mike.

Lex
Wed 15 July 2009, 23:16
Mike,
From my side. Thanks for the great work that your church are doing all over the world. My fellow researchers (and me) speak with create respect everytime the Mormon's research is mentioned in our genealogy meetings.
Kind regards

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 21 July 2009, 23:02
Just to prove that South Africa can be cold in winters...this was taken by a farmer in Harrismith apparently.

domino11
Tue 21 July 2009, 23:29
Kobus,
What temps do you get down to in winters?

Gerald D
Tue 21 July 2009, 23:58
Here are the extremes for the last 2 days:

http://www.weathersa.co.za/Climate/Extremes.jsp

Also look at the Climate Data for Selected Centres in the right hand column and pick a town, to see long term data . . . .

Kobus is in Johannesburg (http://www.weathersa.co.za/Climat/Climstats/JohannesburgStats.jsp) (high altitude)

Alan and I are in Cape Town (http://www.weathersa.co.za/Climat/Climstats/CapeTownStats.jsp) (more or less - Alan is just behind a mountain with a different climate there)

Hennie is midway betwee George (http://www.weathersa.co.za/Climat/Climstats/GeorgeStats.jsp) and Port Elizabeth (http://www.weathersa.co.za/Climat/Climstats/PortElizabethStats.jsp)

Lex is near Richards Bay (http://www.weathersa.co.za/Climat/Climstats/RichardsBayStats.jsp)

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 22 July 2009, 00:10
Heath, that -8 deg C that is shown is in the same province where the picture was taken.

Wow -8 for Johannesburg in certain years...I can feel it when I go and cycle some mornings around 05:00

hennie
Wed 22 July 2009, 00:40
Heath we would probably have the weather that Gerald had in Cape Town yesterday by mid day today.

Robert M
Wed 22 July 2009, 04:48
I thought I was the only one complaining :rolleyes:

Doug_Ford
Wed 22 July 2009, 05:00
Are those Meerkats warming themselves by the fire? Cute.

gixi
Wed 22 July 2009, 07:27
Kobus those two animals near the fire place are alive ?

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 22 July 2009, 08:25
Alive and well to my knowledge....if they stay long enough we could have a BBQ :D

Gerald D
Wed 22 July 2009, 09:19
Marius, some people keep meerkats as house pets - I think those in the photo are tame.

Alan_c
Wed 22 July 2009, 11:47
We are a little bit colder on average (being at about 400m ASL) with a lot more rain (this being a major catchment area) 2 weekends back we had 165mm rain in 24 hrs (dams now sitting at about 96%) Currently I am only there on the weekends as I am staying in CT during the week (to reduce traveling costs)

gixi
Wed 22 July 2009, 11:52
I want two pets like those !!!

domino11
Wed 22 July 2009, 18:47
Kobus, it does get cold in your area. Just wish we only had single digit weather in the winter here. :) We usually have an extra 3 before your negative winter numbers. :) And we dont have some of your excellent scenery. :( I have to make a trip out there some day.
Do you guys actually BBQ meerkats? Do they make good pets?

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 22 July 2009, 22:47
Hi heath, I was only joking about the BBQ. I like real red meat...big steaks... when I do my BRAAI (BBQ)
Your winters are tough, but the problem we have is that our houses are not build to keep the heat in / or out for that matter.
During my 5 years in Holland I was never cold as the house was well heated and insulated.
Over on this side of the water we go from -3 deg C to +17 in the day and luckily I have a small wood and coal burning stove in my house that helps to break the chill when the sun goes down.
When you come on your trip I can hook you up with accomodation in Sabie. That is about 45 minutes drive from Kruger Park and in a malaria free area.
See you soon :D

Gerald D
Wed 22 July 2009, 22:55
Kobus only offers accom. to those unlikely to need it - we had to slum (http://www.bohms.co.za/) 4 nights down the road from there last month. :p

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 22 July 2009, 23:55
That's not true, you did not ask....:)
I know that place on the Hazyview road. My friend Tim Buckland has his Sabie Valley Coffee farm next to them. http://www.sabievalleycoffee.co.za/ His new coffee shop / roasterie is just down the road towards Hazyview. I hope you tried the local beer from Hops Hollow as I know Bohms Zeederberg stocks it.

I now had enough of people renting, not paying and still breaking my stuff. I will slowly re-equip the house and when I need time off I can hop in the car and enjoy my place. Last week I took a double bed, small fridge and small freezer down. So it's not 100% ready yet, but soon it will be.

This is the 10 x 8 meter veranda. I have 180 degree views of the mountains and see 2 waterfalls from here.

hennie
Thu 23 July 2009, 07:28
Kobus sort it out then you can get my house in December and I will have a holiday in Sabie:D

Doug_Ford
Thu 23 July 2009, 07:38
Holy cow Heath. I think we've fallen in with the South African jet set. If any of you guys ever visit me in Arkansas, you're going to be mighty disappointed.

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 23 July 2009, 09:02
Hennie that sounds like a good idea...will keep it in mind
Don't worry Doug, it only LOOKS ok on the picture. It is a smallish 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house. The big STOEP or veranda I added on to give us the place to hang out and enjoy the views that we have. Just before I left for Marion Island I quickly added the roof using BIG gum poles and corrugated sheet. The plans called for a tiled roof to join the existing roof, but 3 years later it is still like that. The little trees on the stoep were all made by hand with a small jigsaw using oak and blackwood that I had at that time.

hennie
Thu 23 July 2009, 09:33
Gerald how about visiting the States next year June ,July don`t think accommodation would be a problem a "braai " in every town :D

Gerald D
Thu 23 July 2009, 09:54
Slow down Hennie, there are some local offers to take up first. Somebody (maybe a bit colour-blind) offered me a house in Sedgefield? :D

hennie
Thu 23 July 2009, 11:32
Plett would be a better option:)

Doug_Ford
Thu 23 July 2009, 18:06
I hear you Kobus but "smallish" is a relative term like Gerald's idea of "slumming." Also, if I'm not mistaken, you have a pool too. In fact, I believe all of the members of the South African Mechmate Jet Set have their own pools. :)

Gerald knows he's always welcome at my house and the same goes with the rest of you SAers. And if the cultural center of the universe (Conway, Arkansas) doesn't happen to fit into your itinerary, let me know when y'all will be near by and I'll drive over and take you to dinner.

domino11
Thu 23 July 2009, 19:31
Anyone coming to Canada? Better make it in the summer or you might leave solid. :)

hennie
Thu 23 July 2009, 22:52
Doug,my pool have waves:)

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 23 July 2009, 22:55
Maybe a good idea to visit Canada just before our winter...that way I will be CONDITIONED for our cold weather. This morning it was at -3 deg C.

This is my offer...if you have a BLUE MechMate with a serial number from this forum, my doors are open...both in Johannesburg and Sabie...Now your are being told Mr. G ;)

Lex
Thu 23 July 2009, 23:05
The local B&B in our little town have a Dungeon bar and resturant. Just the place to lock up some guys from overseas!:D:D I must say the picture in post#174 scare the sh.....t out of me!:eek:

Doug_Ford
Fri 24 July 2009, 08:37
Hennie,

My pools only hold one leg at a time.

hennie
Fri 24 July 2009, 08:58
Low maintenance!

Robert M
Fri 24 July 2009, 12:41
portable too !! :D

smreish
Fri 24 July 2009, 14:18
...and doubles as a porta-potty! ..or live well for fish! ....or beer cooler.

Doug_Ford
Fri 24 July 2009, 15:02
A porta potty then a beer cooler??? Remind me not to drink beer at Sean's house.

Gerald D
Fri 24 July 2009, 21:05
Reminds me of the story . . . .

If you are are standing with one foot in a bucket of ice water and the other foot in a bucket of boiling water, then on average, you are comfortable.

Jan de Ruyter
Sat 25 July 2009, 00:34
Hi Gerald, my famous illustration when people talk about averages. Statistically speaking it is incorrect to talk about averages without mentioning the variance too.

The other one is the geriatric hunter and the geriatric (deaf) rabbit. First shot misses the rabbit one meter to the left, the hunter compensates and the second shot is one meter to the right. On average, the rabbit is now dead.

Lies, damn lies and averages.

Gerald D
Sat 25 July 2009, 01:54
LOL! :D

And now that rabbit is on our lunch menu for tomorrow (http://www.lapetiteferme.co.za/restaurant_menu.html) . . . .
(divide those prices by 8 to get US$ equivalent)

The first signs of Spring are here, and tomorrow promises to be a fine day, 23oC [73oF] forecast (http://dev2.weathersa.co.za/Mobile.asp?f=68713&v=7&m=&z=Regn), so we will take a morning drive to buy some wine (http://www.dutoitskloof.co.za/ow_white_03.html) in this area (http://www.breedekloof.com/) and then go on to the lunch.

Watch a couple of whales on the afternoon drive home and then an afternoon nap.

It is a tough life! :(

Jan de Ruyter
Sat 25 July 2009, 06:43
If your are a bunny hugger: don't read further!

And for those who still cannot afford South Africa's food, I go on regular rabbit (of the domesticated kind) shooting trips. Someone opened up their cage after the children got bored with their pets, now they are creating havoc because they hmmm, well breed like rabbits. One night I shot 23 and still they keep coming. Like an invasion.

Rats with long ears!

Doug_Ford
Sat 25 July 2009, 08:18
Gerald,

I'm glad my wife doesn't read this forum. If she clicked on the link you gave us, she would clean out the savings account so we could go to SA and stay there. That place is gorgeous and the gourmet restaurant prices were super reasonable. I'm really envious. Have a great trip.

Lex
Sun 26 July 2009, 02:43
Here is ours. I am busy cleaning the leaves out. The cover was damaged with the strong wind that we had last week.Not really for swimming, just a place to sit in with a beer in the right hand.:)

hennie
Mon 27 July 2009, 07:11
Koi pond ?

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 27 July 2009, 08:48
Nee man PADDA dam....of is dit waar dop en dam vandaan kom:D

Lex
Tue 28 July 2009, 01:24
Dit is 'n dop dam! Die Parras is nou weer 'n storie op sy eie! I use only green products so that I can't stuff up the taste of the Brandy! Sorry Kobus it does sound just a little bit like certaim areas in Brakpan. :D:D

Gerald D
Tue 28 July 2009, 02:42
. . . . with a beer in the right hand.:)

. . . .I was wondering what you had in your left hand, until

. . so that I can't stuff up the taste of the Brandy!

. . . . which answered my question!

Lex
Tue 28 July 2009, 03:03
I have change my mind. I am not going to explain the differance between 'padda' and 'parra'!

Gerald D
Tue 28 July 2009, 03:10
Albei kan brul

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 28 July 2009, 03:10
:D:D:D stop it NOW !!

Lex
Tue 28 July 2009, 03:30
Lol:d

hennie
Tue 28 July 2009, 04:56
Gedra vir julle!!

Gerald D
Tue 28 July 2009, 05:16
Right guys, enough of the Afrikaans - our other guests also want to know what's going on here. (It was just some silly local humour that doesn't actually translate to English without looooong boring explanations)

Bell Equipment (http://www.bellequipment.com/live/internet/homepage.nsf/Home.htm?OpenForm) in its heyday was one of our country's biggest success stories.

Gerald D
Thu 13 August 2009, 01:37
We are off to Clanwilliam (http://www.clanwilliam.info/) for an extended weekend away. Bye

Robert M
Thu 13 August 2009, 05:15
Excuse my ignorance and lack of traveling budget, but this seems like another very nice place to see !!!
I’m more & more impress with your country thanks to you & this forum. I must admit it opens my eyes & mind to a VERY wonderful place on earth !
Let’s hope & x-fingers when my MM comes alive ( soon, :o) it will help me ( & me to make it happen) make some extra budget to visit this wonderful place, SA !
Merci and wishing you a nice R&R Gerald ;)

Doug_Ford
Thu 13 August 2009, 08:56
I agree Robert. We've really got the bug to visit SA. I read on the link that they make shoes there so my wife's definitely going to want to visit that town.

smreish
Thu 13 August 2009, 16:51
Im in...but only if we go during the SA summer. It's really to cold for us Florida folks to go any where below 75F at any time! :)

domino11
Thu 13 August 2009, 21:36
I think the Canadians would be more comforftable in the late SA winter or perhaps spring. Summer I think would be toooo hot. :)

Gerald D
Sun 16 August 2009, 07:39
It snowed up on the mountains the night before we got there - have got some pictures of it. (Pics later). The shoe factory (http://www.strassberger.co.za/) is small and the styles are few, but they make top quality long-life shoes, and they make to fit your feet without charging extra.

Gerald D
Sun 16 August 2009, 09:23
Some pictures:

Clanwilliam Dam

The waterfall at Nieuwoudtville (where I had to change a flat tyre). The fall is maybe about 100ft

A colony of Cape Gannets on Bird Island at Lambert's Bay

Fishing boats converted for sucking up diamonds. The concrete blocks are "dolosse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolos)", originating from South Africa and used worldwide.

A local farmer's meeting - common transport is the pick-up truck, or "bakkie"

Doring Bay (Thorn Bay)

One of the world's largest antelope, the "eland", about 1000 lbs and 5ft tall at the shoulder:

Which non-South African knows the meaning of that discarded road sign?

Robert M
Sun 16 August 2009, 13:15
YEP....I stand, it’s defiantly worth serious considering & effort to make it happen. I’ll save up a take a few to see this beauty....SA.
Many thanks for again sharing those nice trip photos Gerald.
Hope all went well and your pleased with this short R&R birthday trip :D

Gerald D
Sun 16 August 2009, 13:26
What is "R&R"?

Alan_c
Sun 16 August 2009, 16:08
rest and recuperation

domino11
Sun 16 August 2009, 20:00
Rest and Relaxation

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 16 August 2009, 22:25
In Gerald's terms ..Re-Think and Re-Design..:)

I hope that row of bakkies was not parked in front of the local WATERING HOLE :D

Roadkill_321
Sun 16 August 2009, 22:29
I'd say that the discarded road sign was a warning that the good road ends here. Am I close?

Gerald D
Sun 16 August 2009, 23:36
John, close enough. It means that a bitumenised hard top meets with dirt or gravel road. (The sign was discarded because they were in the process of surfacing the road)

Lex
Mon 17 August 2009, 02:25
I took the wife and her mother out for Sunday lunch (http://www.places.co.za/html/1977.html) at the small town of Hluhluwe, about 30Km north from were I live.
They had to stop at Ilala Weavers (http://www.ilala.co.za/)!. Luckly I had no cash on me;)
The landscape is a lot different from the Western Cape were Gerald and Alan lives.

Doug_Ford
Mon 17 August 2009, 07:47
Beautiful pics. Thanks.

Were you serious about the boats sucking up diamonds? Great shoes for sale and diamonds lying around in the water...I won't be able to get my wife back on the airplane to come home.

Gerald D
Mon 17 August 2009, 07:51
Serious on the diamonds; link (http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4IRFA_enZA315ZA315&ei=8F-JSqqBLY-5jAfK7O2iCw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=alluvial+diamonds+lamberts+bay&spell=1)

But you need a licence to mine a concession area - it isn't a free-for-all.

Doug_Ford
Tue 15 September 2009, 07:20
I've learned a lot about South African culture on this forum but y'all haven't talked about what kind of music y'all listen to. So I've got two questions. 1. If I hit the scan button on the radio dial in a South African car, what will I hear? 2. Additionally, what type of music do you South African members of this board listen to normally?

Jan de Ruyter
Tue 15 September 2009, 08:31
Doef-doef!

Gerald D
Tue 15 September 2009, 08:59
I understand that some of our radio stations can stream via dsl over the internet....

This is my favorite channel: http://www.kfm.co.za (http://www.kfm.co.za)

Some other big stations:
www.radio2000.co.za (http://www.radio2000.co.za)
www.safm.co.za (http://www.safm.co.za)
www.highveld.co.za (http://www.highveld.co.za)
www.5fm.co.za (http://www.5fm.co.za)

Here is a big list:

Metro FM (http://www.metrofm.co.za/)

Broadcast in English, Metro FM is the largest national commercial station in South Africa, targeting 25- to 34-year-old black urban adults - who its owner the SABC describes as "trendy, innovative, progressive and aspirational". While the station does have some information and educational aspects, the focus is firmly on contemporary international music - hip-hop, R&B, kwaito and more. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.metrofm.co.za/)

SAfm (http://www.safm.co.za/)

SAfm is the SABC's English public broadcasting service, covering the news and canvassing the opinions of the country. It is almost 71 years-old, the same age of its 'owner'. It was first known as the "A Programme", becoming the English Service when the Afrikaans Service came into being a year later. In 1985 it changed its name again to Radio South Africa and, ten years later, to SAfm. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.safm.co.za/)

Radio Sonder Grense (http://www.rsg.co.za/)

The SABC's national Afrikaans cultural service, Radio Sonder Grense - meaning "radio without borders" - targets the white, coloured and Indian market, offering news, current affairs, sport, lifestyle, education and music - alles in een - sonder grense. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.rsg.co.za/)

Lotus FM (http://www.lotusfm.co.za/)

Lotus FM is a metropolitan, music- and talk-focused Indian lifestyle station, reflecting the music, culture and lifestyle of the progressive South African Indian community. With the pay-off line "Not everything is black and white", the station emphasises both the South African and Indian identity of its listeners. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.lotusfm.co.za/)

Jacaranda FM (http://www.jacarandafm.co.za/)

One of the largest independent commercial stations and also broadcasting in Gauteng, Jacaranda offers a mix of more easy-listening adult contemporary music and news. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.jacarandafm.co.za/)

East Coast Radio (http://www.ecr.co.za/)

East Coast broadcasts a mix of music and news to Durban and throughout KwaZulu-Natal. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.ecr.co.za/)

Yfm (http://www.yfm.co.za/)

Home of Kwaito and the "Y Generation", Y is the country's most popular youth station. Yfm has a self-imposed 50% local music quota - more than any other radio station in the country. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.yfm.co.za/)

5FM (http://www.5fm.co.za/)

The SABC's trendy youth-oriented station, 5FM's emphasis is on the latest music, movies and South African youth trends. Broadcasting in English to South Africa's metropolitan areas, its music styles are international, and include a strong component of South African artists of world standard. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.5fm.co.za/)

94.7 Highveld Stereo (http://www.highveld.co.za/)

Popular home of Jeremy Mansfield's Rude Awakening, Highveld Stereo broadcasts a mix of contemporary music throughout Gauteng. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.highveld.co.za/)

Kaya FM (http://www.kayafm.co.za/)

Kaya FM provides an African-focused adult contemporary and jazz format, with a mix of music and talk. One of the country's newest radio stations, Kaya broadcasts throughout Gauteng. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.kayafm.co.za/)

Good Hope FM (http://www.goodhopefm.co.za/)

Cape Town's largest radio station, the SABC's Good Hope FM plays contemporary music ranging from R&B, ballads and pop through to hip hop, dance, jazz and old school. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.goodhopefm.co.za/)

Algoa FM (http://www.algoafm.co.za/)

Algoa FM's music and news is broadcast to the entire Eastern Cape region. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.algoafm.co.za/)

702 Talk Radio (http://www.702.co.za/)

702 Talk Radio is Johannesburg's number-one current affairs and information station, offering news, sport, business and actuality programming - and lots of phone-in debate. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.702.co.za/)

567 Cape Talk (http://www.capetalk.co.za/)

567 Medium Wave Cape Talk is Cape Town's first ever talk radio station. Twinned with Johannesburg stalwart 702 Talk Radio, Cape Talk promises to bring you all the news, views, sport, weather, traffic and information you need. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.capetalk.co.za/)

Classic FM (http://www.classicfm.co.za/)

Based on the UK station, Classic FM has been broadcasting classical music throughout Gauteng since September 1997. Through their partnership with Business Day, the station offers in-depth business coverage each week night from 6pm. There are also lifestyle features, news, financial updates, sport, and interviews with local artists and composers. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.classicfm.co.za/)

Kfm (http://www.kfm.co.za/)

For the "best hits and memories", Kfm broadcasts adult contemporary music in the Western Cape and as far afield as Alexander Bay and the Northern Cape. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.kfm.co.za/)

OFM (http://www.ofm.co.za/)

An adult contemporary station broadcasting in the Free State. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.ofm.co.za/)

Channel Africa (http://www.channelafrica.org/)

The international radio service of the SABC offers a multilingual source of information on Africa - with news, music and sports. Broadcasts are in Chinyanja, Silozi, Kiswahili, English, French and Portuguese, with shortwave broadcasts covering south, east, central and west Africa, satellite broadcasts covering the sub-Saharan region - and internet broadcasts covering the entire world. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.channelafrica.org/)

Radio Pretoria (http://www.radiopretoria.co.za/)

With the slogan Trots Afrikaans (proudly Afrikaans), Radio Pretoria broadcasts from Tshwane through 14 transmitters in towns in Gauteng, Limpopo, Free State, Mpumalanga, North West and KwaZulu-Natal. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.radiopretoria.co.za/)

Radio Tuks (http://www.tuksfm.co.za/)

Radio Tuks broadcasts from the University of the Pretoria campus, reaching most of the greater Tshwane area. The station targets an Afrikaans-speaking audience. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.tuksfm.co.za/)

Campus Radio (http://www.ujfm.co.za/)

The station is owned by the University of Johannesburg and run by students on a voluntary basis. Predominantly English, it includes Afrikaans and several vernacular languages, with new music taking up 60% of airtime, with the rest cutting-edge features.
http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.ujfm.co.za/)

Impact Radio (http://www.impact-radio.co.za/)

Impact Radio broadcasts from studios in Waterkloof Glen in Tshwane. Programming is Christian, with 20% talk and 80% music. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.impact-radio.co.za/)

Radio Islam (http://www.radioislam.org.za/)

Broadcasting from Lenasia, south of Johannesburg, Radio Islam aims to promote the religion of Islam, and to dispel myths about Islam and Muslims in South Africa and around the world. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.radioislam.org.za/)

Radio Kansel / Radio Pulpit (http://www.radiokansel.co.za/)

For the past 26 years Radio Pulpit has been broadcasting the gospel in both English and Afrikaans. The station broadcasts from studios in Pretoria on 657 MW, 24 hours per day and on the transmitters of Radio 2000 nationally between 4am and 11am. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.radiokansel.co.za/)

90.6 FM Stereo (http://www.906fm.co.za/)

The station broadcasts from Vereeniging, targeting an audience aged 20 to 50 with multilingual programming made up of 20% talk and 80% music. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.906fm.co.za/)

Bush Radio (http://www.bushradio.co.za/)

Bush Radio broadcasts to the Cape Flats, targeting coloured listeners aged 18 to 39, and features music, community issues, news, interviews and drama - such as Can Themba's The Suit. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.bushradio.co.za/)

Fine Music Radio (http://www.fmr.co.za/)

The station broadcasts from Cape Town, targeting discerning listeners over 35 with a taste for fine art, jazz and classical music. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.fmr.co.za/)

MFM 92.6 (http://www.mfm.co.za/)

MFM broadcasts from Stellenbosch University to a largely student audience, and features music and talk. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.mfm.co.za/)

Radio UCT (http://www.uctradio.co.za/)

UCT Radio broadcasts from the University of Cape Town to students and young professionals, offering the latest music, artists, lifestyles, news, sport and clubbing information. http://www.southafrica.info/pics/redesign/arrow.gif (http://www.uctradio.co.za/)

Bay FM (http://www.bayfm.co.za/)

Bay FM was born out of Radio Uppie at the University of Port Elizabeth. Now independent of the university and run by members of the community, the station's programming reflects its young target market and goes out in a mix of English and Xhosa, with 60% music and 40% talk.

Doug_Ford
Tue 15 September 2009, 09:55
Thanks for the info Gerald. I was able to listen to your favorite station and listened to Highveld radio for a while too. It was cool to sit in my chair and listen to South African radio. Other than DJs with a slightly different accent, the broadcast sounded just like the stations here. Oh yeah, and I got to hear Afrikaans for the first time. It sounds like a cross between German and Dutch which makes sense. Very pleasing to the ear.

I looked at the recent play list for your station and I think you are more hip than me. :D I only recognized about half the group names.

Gerald D
Tue 15 September 2009, 10:21
The crazy thing is that none of us locals can listen to our radio stations over the internet - it is too expensive because have a limit to our bandwidth and cannot waste it on audio.

Those lists of stations largely exclude the black african-speaking stations which have the highest amount of listeners. This is a big one: http://www.uwfm.co.za

Gerald D
Tue 15 September 2009, 10:55
This is our "national" broadcaster, paid by taxes: http://www.sabc.co.za/portal/site/menuitem.3eb4c4b520e08a22f22fa121a24daeb9/

Alan_c
Tue 15 September 2009, 12:07
This is a local community radio station serving the Helderberg Basin and over the mountain into Grabouw. Radio Helderberg (http://www.radiohelderberg.co.za/) Music type is varied ranging from Afrikaans contemporary to "Boere Musiek" to gospel to old time tunes (Glen Miller, Vera Lynn etc). Tune in on saterdays at 5pm (local time) to hear what Boere musiek sounds like Doug, you might enjoy it.

Gerald D
Tue 15 September 2009, 12:41
Boeremusiek videos (http://www.boeremusiek.org.za/Afrikaans/Boeremusiek/musiek_video.htm) To my (damaged) ears, it comes across as cats being murdered, but slightly better than bagpipes though. :D

Lex
Tue 15 September 2009, 23:20
I listen to RSG(radio sonder grense) in the morning on my way to work. I never listen to East coast radio because 90% persent of the music is for teens and to me that is a lot of crap. :)
I like most music except the new stuff, country music and some of the Afrikaans singers that are out there for a fast buck. Funny enougth I am not to fond of Boeremusiek, maybe because I can't dance. Will leave the radio on in the workshop will I am working. Top of the list is 70's And 80's rock, Elvis, Neil Daimond ... and the popular classic music.

Doug_Ford
Wed 16 September 2009, 09:13
I love Boeremusiek. Although the instruments are different, it reminds me of the music you hear in the beer halls in Munich. Drinking liter mugs of beer in the Hofbrau Haus in Munich is the most fun a guy can have in my opinion.

I watched a couple of those videos and they don't show the crowds but it sounds like they're having a good time.

Boeremusiek also reminds me a lot of Cajun Zydeco music played in Louisiana which has a similar tempo and lots of accordian in it.

Johan: I tried listening to RSG but the website was all in Afrikaans and so was the broadcast. I think I connected but since I couldn't understand the language, I'm not sure if I was listening to the commercial you typically hear when you first connect or the actual broadcast. I'll try again later.

Alan: I'll see if I can connect at 5:00 local.

Doug_Ford
Wed 16 September 2009, 09:33
I tried connecting to some of those stations that said they broadcast in Xhosa because I wanted to hear it. They were speaking a language foreign to my ears but I didn't hear anything particularly unusual. I thought Xhosa had lots of clicks or other sounds.

Lex
Wed 16 September 2009, 23:08
Hi Doug,
You will only hear Afrikaans on RSG. Sorry. :)
People think that Afrikaans have a connection with the German language. It had no influance in it's development stage. Afrikaans is a lot closer to the 'Flemish? (Vlaamse)" language that you hear in the southern Europe.

Gerald D
Wed 16 September 2009, 23:16
We do some business with native Flemish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish) speakers in Belgium, and they simply talk slowly in Flemish while we talk slowly in Afrikaans and the business gets done quite happily.

hennie
Thu 17 September 2009, 00:22
In my parents house I grew up with boere musiek and at a young age I hated it but hey as one gets older I actually listen to it now only on some occasions and I must say one can (skoffel ) dance to it till the late hours.

Alan_c
Thu 17 September 2009, 02:32
:D:D:D Hennie, thats you catching up to Gerald, some would say its maturing, but its just plain getting older...

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 17 September 2009, 08:27
Boere musiek is even better than a Subaru on a mountain pass...Sorry Hennie:D

hennie
Thu 17 September 2009, 23:41
Have you driven one yet? Best way to get attention is to drive it with Dozi`s " ou ry perd" and that makes it even better than a mountain pass.(new song for the kids is Kurt Darrens "kaptein span die seile":)