PDA

View Full Version : PC inside control box, using game controller #9 - Rajasthan,India

DMS
Sat 05 January 2008, 04:51
Hi all,
I am from India.
I have been reading for past 3 months. Now nearly all sourcing problem solved.
This is my first machine of this kind. I have little experience in this field and hope with help of you all experienced guys will manage to make this lovely machine.
Thanks to Gerald for his free plans and great efforts and to all who helped me with my questions.
I am posting photo of Laser cut and bend parts, which I think first of MM version.
Thanks to all.

javeria
Sat 05 January 2008, 05:35
Hello Sharma,

Great to know that finally its started for you. Let us know how much and where did u get your parts laser cut.

My best to you. I will be starting my Mamba soon by March, probably will have the controller running by then.

Keep us updated!

Doug_Ford
Sat 05 January 2008, 06:13
Welcome to the forum Sharma. Good luck with your build and let us know if we can help you.

smreish
Sat 05 January 2008, 12:40
Wow, Look at all those Mamba parts.....your the first to have the laser cut set of the Mamba. Good Luck.
Sean

Gerald D
Mon 07 January 2008, 04:28
Gee, is that what the Mamba parts look like? What a surprise! :)

Welcome Sharma - thanks for having the confidence to work direct off the plans. Hope you will not be disappointed.

DMS
Mon 07 January 2008, 08:01
Thanks Gerald and all,
I was awaiting for your encouraging words, I am very much confident that though for me it is very hard, laborious and long time project, I do accomplish it with your help and guidence.
I go office 8 to 5, five days a week, have little time left so progress may be slow but definate.
Right now I am arranging various parts from different sources they are in pipeline, I was lacking at tools and machinary, for which I am very fortunate that I got drill machine, welding machine, grinding machine, vices, calipers, screw guage and variety of tools from aquaints for free that have already saved me more than $500 worth purchasing.
The laser cutting company charged me $380 for these parts for laser cutting and cnc bending. Which seems almost double the normal prices, but besides my every efforts I could not get quote for one set. They are normally not interested in one set.
I will keep posting and seek advice on my snail pace progress :)

DMS
Sat 09 February 2008, 07:21
I have got 14 V-rollers, 10 eccentric bush (I know 4 extra) and 6 bearing bush all under $ 37 only. Rollers are hardened and need grinding.
I have these three coarse, medium and fine grit grinding square stones and tried on two rollers, it takes long time to for grinding.
Left roller is semi grind while right one is ungrind.
any suggestions on V-grinding? No source near me for such job.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4666/vrollersqp1.jpg http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7241/grindlr9.jpg

Gerald D
Sat 09 February 2008, 08:27
Before you start grinding, have you checked the wheels for distortion. Maybe they became oval during the hardening and the bearings will not fit? Just something to check before you spend a lot of time grinding.

Have you got cutting tool sharpening companies near you? These companies should be able to do the grinding.

DMS
Sat 09 February 2008, 08:34
Thanks Gerald,
I have checked and for bearings, they fit well.
Should I fit bearings and then grind, as you have already suggested ? While grinding rollers become quite hot that's why I did not fit bearings.
Actully the lathe guy used prehardened bar for rollers that's why tool marks are left on surface. He left 0.2 mm for grinding.
The lathe guys use their grinding machine for tool shrpening here, no such company is here.

Regards.

Gerald D
Sat 09 February 2008, 08:50
No, you do not need to fit the bearings for grinding. Glad to hear they fit well.

I was thinking of companies that sharpen milling cutters, not the lathe tools.

Maybe a call to this company:
http://hmtmachinetools.com/ajmer-complex.htm
and they can send you in the right direction?

DMS
Sat 09 February 2008, 08:58
This is Government company and rates are sky high, normally they accept big orders and perform heavy mahinary jobs.
If the grinding need special skill, then I had better find source for it, otherwise if 0.2 mm tolerance is acceptable I should give a try :confused:

Gerald D
Sat 09 February 2008, 09:13
I suggest you call them, ask to speak to the toolroom, and then ask the preson there if they can make suggestions for you. They should know which small company outside their organisation does special small jobs. It is a chance, maybe you are lucky. Its a better chance than asking me! :)

DMS
Sat 09 February 2008, 09:16
Ok, I ask them in person on Monday. Thanks.
Regards.

DMS
Fri 02 May 2008, 07:09
Well this thread tempted me to post my achievement.
The cutting and 45 degree grinding of angles was easy with skates but a lot of dust, one should invariably use mask, ear plug goggles and gloves. Cutting disk INOX 1mm (3 consumed), grinding disk BOSCH.
I suggest using little grease on surface while grinding so that skate bolt moves smooth. Removing scales/smoothning out of both sides and under the angles is also necessary for free bearing movement and flat surface. I must say this was piece of cake with SWEAT :) .
Thanks Gerald.

p.s. I am working in very cramped space so can't take good photos from distance.

DMS
Fri 02 May 2008, 10:41
Gerald,
Thanks for placing my post in right thread.

I am facing a peculier problem. I found that my Y tubes are approx. 45 x 94 mm (45 top and bottom while bulging in centre to 50 mm). Not true rectangular.
Stiffening closures are hanging around 6mm outside Y tube. Now I have left with only option to place & weld Y strip outside tube as per attatched photo.
What are the consequence I am going to face ? As far as I remember I have seen doing this by one member but can't find that thread now. While with good welding it should not be a problem and I should also attain right height. Is this OK ?

Gerald D
Fri 02 May 2008, 12:27
That is not a problem. You do not need to weld a "y-strip" on top of the tube - welding will do more harm than good. Still clamp your rail direct to the top of the 94x45 tube. You can cut the stiffening closure a bit shorter so that the rail goes right across the top. You can also lift the tube 2mm higher up, but if you go too high then the weld number 2 (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230) gets difficult.

Because your tubes are not good rectangles, you must try harder to get the top surfaces horizontal in the x-direction. If those surfaces are horizontal from one tube across to the other, you have no other things to worry about.

Greg J
Fri 02 May 2008, 17:39
And don't worry if you get twist in your gantry due to welding.

There is an easy fix. ;)

DMS
Fri 02 May 2008, 18:09
Thanks Gerald

And don't worry if you get twist in your gantry due to welding.

There is an easy fix.
Ha Ha that's right. Now we know a working solution now.

DMS
Wed 17 September 2008, 05:59
I don't have a straight router bit, so I used masonary carbide tipped bit:;.
Thanks Gerald & everybody for your kind help and encouragement. MISSION ACHIEVED.
All blue table :) (credit goes to confined space) and don't mind that broom stick ;), have to clean myself.
Gerald may I humbly request for 2nd last #9 :)

DMS
Wed 17 September 2008, 07:12
Here is small video footage, not a good one, but showing first Indian Mechmate cutting .;)
http://www.youtube.com/v/18fKWslHZAE

domino11
Wed 17 September 2008, 07:12
Sharma,
Those pictures look great, you should be very proud of your achievement. Well done. :)

Gerald D
Wed 17 September 2008, 07:23
Applause!

DMS
Wed 17 September 2008, 08:04
Thanks Gerald for #9. I gained (learned) a lot during this built and lost one tap drill one drill a hammerd finger, some cuts and bruises and of course lot of sweat and amnesia :)
Thanks Heath
Of course I and my family are very proud of this achievement.

Doug_Ford
Wed 17 September 2008, 17:19
Beautiful!!! Congratulations.

smreish
Wed 17 September 2008, 18:51
Congratulations on your Baby Mechmate. May you nurture and treat her well. :)

Greg J
Wed 17 September 2008, 19:02
Sharma,

Congratulations!! You graduated. :)

She's a beautiful blue beast. :)

DMS
Wed 17 September 2008, 19:52
Thanks guys for your kind words.

javeria
Wed 17 September 2008, 21:51
Hello Sharmaji, my hearty congrats to you SIR.

now get some good ER16 collets and carbite bits and start working - carving - Rajesthani style -

My best to you.

Have fun with your new baby!

Lex
Wed 17 September 2008, 22:41
Well done! Enjoy!

hennie
Wed 17 September 2008, 23:16
Nice Toy !!

Roadkill_321
Wed 17 September 2008, 23:50
Very nice Sharma! Congratulations!

sailfl
Thu 18 September 2008, 00:35
Sharma,

Congratulations!!!!!

I hope that I will not be too far behind you on completing mine. It is nice to see the number increasing on completed machines.

DMS
Thu 18 September 2008, 07:49
Thanks Guys,
It's making a lotta dust, the noise is also bearable. Makita is quieter than I thought while cutting, though I used anti vibration pads ;).

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 18 September 2008, 12:18
Welcome to the club, hope you have as much joy with your machine as I have with mine.

vishnu
Thu 18 September 2008, 12:58
:cool: Time to rejoice Sharma .......... Good Work. Love to see some chips

Vishnu

gmessler
Thu 18 September 2008, 21:53
Looking good Sharma:)

Congrats!!

javeria
Fri 19 September 2008, 00:46
We need more pictures sharmaji!

DMS
Fri 19 September 2008, 10:39
Thanks Guys, awaiting tools for more pics.

javeria
Fri 19 September 2008, 11:15
Hi Sharma,

where are u getiing your carbide tools from, try this addres

Nikunj Eximp Enterprises Pvt. Ltd.
Address: Sri Joravar Bhavan, Maharshi Karve Road, Marine Lines
City: Mumbai
State Maharashtra
Phone: 912222003534
Fax: 912222060415

DMS
Fri 19 September 2008, 11:57
I tried to cut snow flakes with improper tool, the result -

Thanks Ifran

Greg J
Fri 19 September 2008, 21:47
Sharma,

It's also feed rates and spindle (router) speed. Your tooling (cutting bit) may be correct, but your feed rate needs to be slowed down.

Marc Shlaes
Sun 21 September 2008, 05:34
Sharma,

You are very welcome to come visit me in Cleveland, Ohio, USA in January. I'll teach you EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about snowflakes. :p:D

domino11
Sun 21 September 2008, 21:25
Marc,
Come on, Ohio? Canada is far better for snow! :):eek:

Gerald D
Sun 21 September 2008, 23:10
India does well enough on their own snow; link (http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=IRFA,IRFA:2006-24,IRFA:en&q=gulmarg%20skiing&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi)

DMS
Tue 23 September 2008, 20:02
Marc

Thanks for invitation, MM also produces lotta snow ;) http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15527&postcount=379 I invite you to view sand dunes of Rajasthan http://www.rajasthantravelguide.com/city/tourist_places/jaisalmer/sand_dunes_jaisalmer.html

Gerald - Been there a few years back and also in Nepal, you must visit 'Pokhra' some day to feel tranquility of nature. http://www.oktatabyebye.com/Picture-Gallery/9560-Pokhra,_Nepal-travel-photo.html

Buzy changes in control box.

Lex
Wed 24 September 2008, 04:59
Impressive architecture!
The site states that the sand dunes are 5.1 sq km. Only such a small area?:confused:

javeria
Wed 24 September 2008, 06:28
Sharmaji - show us your control box -

DMS
Wed 24 September 2008, 11:29
Lex,

This particular area is called 'SAM' and this area is covered with pure shifting send dunes in the desert. This is only a part of vast sand sea. Since it is approachable from Jaisalmer a large number of foreign tourists visit Jaisalmer every year and in Christmas holidays this area is totally covered with humans. People come to see picturesque Sun set. You can't even find place to stay if no advance booking.
I'll be able to show some pics, can't find right now in which DVD I stored them:confused:

DMS
Sun 12 October 2008, 08:55
Here are some changes in my control box. And this new setup is working fine. All cables are detachable and have good quality contacts. Signal and power cables are separate and opposite side of CB.
I was thinking from beginning that how to save pc from dust, here is how I've done this and this also safe from noise etc. The pics are self explanatory.
I am using C11G from cnc4pc and this is working great. I am using one of NC of Estop (no AC line on button boxes) to drive BOB enable switch. Other Estop NC goes to BOB input.
Sequence of Estop condition - When Estop is pressed BOB is disabled, through EN swich/charge pump, outputs are disabled and on board configured mechanical relay cuts contactor coil, which in turn cuts power supply to steppers and router ssr. Since BOB receives power through pc ps it stays on but disabled.
When Estop is depressed BOB enables relay but contactor coil being in series with on/off push button disabled till on button is pressed again.
I am also using low rating fuses for each drive as this is expensive here to replace Gecko fuses.
8 core wire used for inputs, using four pairs for each button, saving some wire and space on chain.
On board other SSR has not been used (only 8A AC output) instead output pin used to drive outer SSR and configured for F5 , M3/M4 and M5 codes. I can now control my router through gcodes also.
I replaced my old pc (1.9) with Quantum Core and old pc becomes dedicated pc for MM. Only MB, RAM & HDD utilised (saved some bucks).
I am using new PC for processing nc files and then input it via usb port which is same as professional machines.
Old USB gamepad used in place of pendent. Which is working great and also agronomic. This is very easy to configure.
Right now I am scripting Z zero routine for touch plate for OEM button (blue), if any of you guys is doing this then this will be easier for me.(I have gone through all cnczone and mach forum posts;) so help is desired from who has done this on his MM )
Thanks. Critics are welcome.:D
(The filter is of bike air cleaner, I am replacing it with car air filter for more air)
Disclaimer - This is done after thoroughly reading, consulting and working fine for me. If you are following this do it at your risk.

javeria
Sun 12 October 2008, 09:34
Thats a nice sweet little control box sharmaji - really very nice setup.

where is the monitor - keyboard placement - did you do something like what JR did?

RGDS
IRfan

DMS
Sun 12 October 2008, 10:43
Processor I mentioned above is Quad core and not Quantum core lol.
Wiring need some tidying up, thinking of cutting some wooden cleats for that, as I could not find sticky pad ties here.
I have also wired CB fan on other side of contactor so that when power is on and even after Estop it stays on to cool pc. pc box has slits for getting cool air from filter directly.

Irfan bhai,
I have plan for that and withing a few days that will be done.
Thanks.

javeria
Sun 12 October 2008, 10:46
so did u advertise - what was the initial response from the locals? what are your contactor specs and what price did you pay for it.

RGDS
Irfan

DMS
Sun 12 October 2008, 10:58
I already got order from local for board cutting. Being small city People are amazed and could not believe what a cnc can do. All credit goes to Gerald for this fabulous machine. I need not advertise, as I am already buzy. Now I need dust cleaner or have to get out with MM.:), and Indexer is also in mind ( CB is already set up for that)
Contactor is TEC brand and I think it is around 700 INR, I have to look at my diary for confirmation. It has 4 contatcs, 40A, 600V. The best is ABB brand but double the price.This is also good brand.

javeria
Sun 12 October 2008, 11:41
Thank you Sharmaji! we dont yet have you on the mugshots - kindly add urself! also PM me how much you are charging for board cutting.

javeria
Sun 12 October 2008, 12:00
Sharmaji - I particularly like the way you have set up the E stop - using the c11g board. how did you set up the extra motor on the long axes?

I am planning to use a contactor which operates on a 24dc coil so that estop is activated directly - still have to check on that one.

RGDS
Irfan

DMS
Sun 12 October 2008, 19:27
Mr. Irfan,
That contactor was INR440.
how did you set up the extra motor on the long axes?

I could not get that? wanna know mach setting?

javeria
Sun 12 October 2008, 21:31
the long axis has 2 stepper's right - how did ya config them in mach?

do post ur mach settings.

RGDS
Irfan

Gerald D
Sun 12 October 2008, 23:00
Irfan, look for "Slave Axis" settings in Mach under Config. You "slave" the second x-motor to the first x-motor.

DMS
Mon 13 October 2008, 05:47
Thanks Gerald for reply, I think I should remind one more thing to Irfan.
Irfan
Check A axis for X axis and restart mach. And don't forget to reverse the motor winding connections to drive term 3 and 4. Otherwise gantry will derail.

I am planning to use a contactor which operates on a 24dc coil so
You have to provide extra 24 V supply for that, while I am using 12 v for proxy and 5 v for bob from ps of pc, which cuts extra cost. On board mechanical relay can be used for driving AC contactor. Any particular reason for that?

javeria
Mon 13 October 2008, 09:30
Yes - I am going to have a separate 24v supply - my thinking is that limits / estop - estop light - and if a buzzer is used need to be operated on a supply - so the 24V - Though none have faced a problem due to residual power I dont want to take chance - in your case the BOB is still powered by the computer and it is covered , in mine it is not. During a power outage - I plan to use a UPS on the PC and BOB which will then act on the estop and activate a blinker powered by the same UPS. the UPS is just 10min backup and since I am planning on LED blinker and Atom motherboard processor combo the backup will extend to around15 min.

I will set up the Estop in such a way that any power outage will trigger a estop -, I will also have a delay switch on the mains - before power enters the mains - it will go thru a Omron delay switch - this helps when in our areas there is huge variation in power and where we have external shorts where power gets on / off many times in a few second.

More over one important thing I am planning is to have a Voltmeter placed near your meter box - I have seen in my other machine with servos that any voltage drop will need changes in mach velocity settings. So better safe than sorry.

I hope this is not boring - so much rant so that if I am wrong somewhere you folks can corrrect me - sorry sharma - this is sort of hijacking your thread.

RGDS
Irfan

I know that most of it is probably a overkill.

Gerald D
Mon 13 October 2008, 10:23
Irfan, I copied your last post to this thread for further discussion:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60

DMS
Mon 13 October 2008, 19:20
If you see my outside connectors it has smps output, which has been taken out from smps and put on cb, it is connected from outside ups, there is no connector near smps fan. So my pc is also connected to ups. Since ups is big it can't be fitted in box :)

Nice going Irfan :)

DMS
Tue 14 October 2008, 06:16
As Irfan indicated that power goes frequently, although here is timebound power cuts, as a safety feature I added AC relay to input of contactor to control C11G EN switch. This now controls Estop when power is out and disables BOB as well.

DMS
Tue 14 October 2008, 11:04
I mention above wrong, DPDT AC relay controls Estop and 12 V spply to Estops from pc. i.e. long time ups power available. I tested it and it is working fine when power cuts.
I remember to read somewhere that power of bob should not be cut suddenly when pc is on. I donno for what reason.

javeria
Tue 18 November 2008, 08:20
HI Sharma, what's happening with your machine? any updates - I was expecting to see more work.

RGDS
IRfan

William McGuire
Tue 18 November 2008, 22:47
Nice machine, Sharma...

Looks like the world is slowly being painted blue...:)