PDA

View Full Version : Built a few more - Cape Town, South Africa

Gerald D
Mon 12 November 2007, 23:07
I used to be able to walk 20 yards and have a look at a MechMate, now that my "dayjob" factory is relocated, I havn't seen a MM for months - and I am having withdrawal symptoms. Time to build one for home . . . . .

My biggest hassle out here is the shopping for components from the USA. Are there any volunteers, who have export experience and can make a crate, willing to consolidate my online purchases into one box, make out a covering invoice, and ship out to me? Please send me a PM or e-mail if you are volunteering.

(I will do my own online purchases and have the items delivered to you at my expense. You build a box to take it, then invoice me for crating, and handling. After I pay your invoice, you release to my shipping company who will collect from you.)

Gerald D
Tue 13 November 2007, 08:15
A willing volunteer has been found - thanks for the response!

Gerald D
Sun 18 November 2007, 23:02
Copied from another thread . . .

A nice chunk of steel! This makes me itch to get started with No. 3 :)

domino11
Mon 19 November 2007, 06:49
How many machines are you planning on building? Do you have a link to your machine for sale?

Gerald D
Mon 19 November 2007, 10:36
Heath, I am only going to build one MM. The machine for sale is the original ShopBot, but I think that Sean actually did sell it today.

domino11
Mon 19 November 2007, 14:30
Gerald,

A nice chunk of steel! This makes me itch to get started with No. 3 :)

I thought you were starting on MM #3.:confused: I was just wondering how many mechmates were enough for one shop?:eek: Sean must be busy!:)

Gerald D
Mon 19 November 2007, 19:56
Lots of starting points for one machine - start shopping, start electrics, start small steel parts, start big steel parts, in that order. No.3 will be for me at home.

Bill McGuire
Mon 19 November 2007, 21:29
Gerald...
Let us know which motors drives, etc. you will be using this time...
and, have fun!

If you want any of us to shop prices for you, just post the parts and see if we can get some good bargains for you. It's not much, but it might help a little...
Bill McGuire

Gerald D
Mon 19 November 2007, 22:37
Motors: OM PK296A2A-SG7.2 (have 2x PK299's-01AA in stock)
Drives: G203V with spare fuses (have 4x G202's in stock)
BOB: PMDX-122 (have 1 in stock)
V-Rollers: Supremebearing (have 16x "homemade" in stock, I think)

And that should be the limit of the import. However, I might just add few more "curiosity" items to see what you guys are talking about. Teco contactor, ncPod, Smoothstepper (if released soon), Milwaukee/PC router, Antek supply, Factorymation control box, McMaster gas-spring.

A very large motivator for No.3 is to have a machine that matches the current advice on the forum, and that is built to the latest drawings.

The table will be unusual though - I think the x-rails will be a max of 900mm [3ft] and it will probably sit on an old workbench in the corner of my home garage. The gantry will be big and long - Y-size of boards 1850mm [6ft1in]

domino11
Wed 21 November 2007, 19:29
Gerald,
Are you going to grind your rails with the new skate design?

I am sure I as well as many others would love to see the masters build photos as it happens! :)

Gerald D
Wed 21 November 2007, 22:37
Sure, there will be skate grinding.

But guys, don't wait for me to post photos of #3 before you do anything. This is going to be a slooww one, I have no illusions about that. It is intended as a "test-bed" for the corner of my garage at home and it might not even get beyond primer paint. Might be a bit shy to post photos. Looking for a machine that I can hack on a whim. :)

Gerald D
Sat 01 December 2007, 23:51
The original ShopBot did sell 2 weeks ago.

Just some advance news. On 16 December Jenny & I are going on a roadtrip vacation for about 3 weeks. (This is mid-summer for us). Won't be posting in this time, but the forum will stay open. We will be in the Drakensberg area (http://images.google.co.za/images?hl=en&q=Drakensberg&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi)over Xmas.

Doug_Ford
Sun 02 December 2007, 05:53
Wow. Beautiful vistas. I hope y'all have a great time.

Gerald D
Sun 02 December 2007, 07:59
You guys must seriously think of visiting out here. It is an amazing country that is very easy to drive around. The crime situation that makes most of the news is not really apparent to the typical tourist. This (http://images.google.co.za/images?hl=en&q=chapmans+peak&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2) is 4 miles from my house.

sailfl
Sun 02 December 2007, 09:56
Very nice. How do you get any work done? Enjoy your time off. We will be here when you get back.

Marc Shlaes
Sun 02 December 2007, 11:24
Gerald,

I'm coming. For sure! Just trying to figure out when. If we have a Mechmate convention in January, 09 will we actually get to meet you?

:rolleyes: Not a joke (for me anyway).

Have a very relaxing time.

Marc

Gerald D
Sun 02 December 2007, 11:29
Of course I will be around - probably even take you on a few tours . . . . . :)

Doug_Ford
Sun 02 December 2007, 13:29
Gerald,

Stunningly beautiful scenary. I've wanted to visit South Africa since I was a little kid. Unfortunately, I'm just a poor Soldier trying to make ends meet and not a globe trotting "citizen of the world" mechanical engineer. :D

domino11
Sun 02 December 2007, 16:43
Gerald,
Hope you have a wonderfull holiday. It sure would be nice to visit your country some day. I have had a dream to visit South Africa since I was a little one as well.

gmessler
Sun 16 December 2007, 21:26
Found this on Yahoo.

RNPS PICTURES OF THE YEAR - South African surfers take to the water in an attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the highest number of riders on a single wave at Muizenberg in Cape Town September 2, 2007. The surfers posted an unofficial tally of 71 riders standing on a single wave for more than five seconds, easily surpassing the official record of 44. This total, however, still has to be ratified by the body, as does the 73 recorded at the same venue last year.

Started to wonder what Gerald was doing on vacation until I saw that it was in September.

Gerald D
Sat 05 January 2008, 07:53
Got back this afternoon with 5000 miles covered - lots of catching up of mails and messages to do . . . . .

Anyone want to summarise what what happened in the last 3 weeks? :)

PS Greg, those surfers are all wearing black wetsuits because of the water temp.. . . . . .the sharks mistake them for seals. . . . .

Doug_Ford
Tue 26 February 2008, 09:02
Gerald,

Have you had a chance to work on your latest MM or are you too busy helping everyone else?

Gerald D
Tue 26 February 2008, 09:26
Doug, it is pushed way into the background - too many other things on :(

Gerald D
Sat 07 June 2008, 12:32
Had a meeting with son Sean today. Time has come to sell MechMates 1 and 2 (because a lot of work involves Valchromat sheets which are over 6' wide) and build 4 new MechMates to handle all the new work and new sheet sizes. Beauty is that a couple of potential buyers are lined up for MechMates 1 and 2 and that income should cover the cost of materials for the 4 new machines. But the time and labour will not be that easy to "finance"...

isladelobos
Sat 07 June 2008, 13:07
Gerrald hey, the first mechmate is for the museum. :)

Do not lose sight of this piece.

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 10 June 2008, 03:01
Hi Gerald,

Where do you get the Valchromat boards. I have phoned around, but so far no luck in JHB...and that I cannot believe.

Gerald D
Tue 10 June 2008, 04:58
http://www.valchromatsa.com/contact.php

Gerald D
Tue 24 June 2008, 09:35
I suppose I have tell everyone how the builds are doing :)

Lots of stuff ordered from the USA. Will have it sea-freighted because it is a fairly big crate and the cost should be much lower. But I will only see that stuff around 2nd half of August. However, have enough parts lying around here to get one machine in full running condition.

All the lasered parts are here. Not entirely happy with spider plate bending and took them back today. I have to add a note to the bending drawing that the front face must be flat after bending.

All countersinking of lasered parts completed. Half the lasered parts have been de-burred - rest being done tonight.

Have received all the angle iron for the rails. 11 lengths of 6.5m [20'] Ordered 65 x 50 x 6mm and what was delivered was 2.5 x 2 x 1/4" - strange metric system at work here. All individual rails cut to length.

Have purchased a 180mm [7"] Evolution saw to cut the rail heights down. Have rigged fences under the saw that run against both sides of the angle. First test on short length of off-cut was not too encouraging - rail height varied by 0.6mm. Surface finish is "smooth" in the sense that it won't draw blood, but it has a rough texture (like leather?). Will be testing on a longer off-cut tomorrow. Thinking of a skate to "dress" that saw-cut surface before tackling the bevelling.

10 Gantry tubes sawn to length. All rail clamp strips drilled and ready to be used as templates. Want to have gantries drilled and welded by the weekend.

20 Pinion gears already machined and hardened. 5 Gauge plates ordered - collecting tomorrow.

Steel ordered (pipe & channels) for about 3 tables - last 2 tables will be a bit unusual, they are not urgent.

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 24 June 2008, 22:44
Good luck Gerald, that sounds like a factory production line down there. A photo of all that steel and parts will be impressive

hennie
Tue 24 June 2008, 23:40
Will send a truck to come and get some parts needed.Go for it Gerald!
What does your Boss say?

Gerald D
Wed 25 June 2008, 00:19
Boss goes with the flow - she is also the bookkeeper of day job where the heaps of steel are ten times bigger. (Our "laser" bill last month was R 205 000!)

hennie
Wed 25 June 2008, 00:28
Keeping it in the family?

Gerald D
Wed 25 June 2008, 00:38
Not entirely

hennie
Wed 25 June 2008, 00:55
MA HOU BY MY OOK `n OOGIE

ekdenton
Fri 27 June 2008, 09:58
All the lasered parts are here. Not entirely happy with spider plate bending and took them back today. I have to add a note to the bending drawing that the front face must be flat after bending.

My spider plate was twisted and I wound up spending a few hours tweeking it so that the front face that holds the bearings is flat and level. The bends looked as if they were exactly on the laser etched lines.

It seemed as if either one side of the spider may have bent easier than the other making a slight twist in the final product, or the press brake that they used for my spider was off a little giving slightly more pressure on one side vs. the other.

Maybe it is hard to make that many bends on such a small thick metal and also have the final pc. be accurate??:)

Gerald D
Fri 27 June 2008, 10:55
Bending accurately is a black art practised by guys with years of experience. Each bending machine also has its quirks. The guys learn which spot on their machines give the best results.

When I took the 5 spiders back for fixing on Tuesday, I simply had to show the operator what I wanted (spider should lie flat to a table) and he said "no problem!". Now they are 100%. A note on the drawing should help the future guys to have flat spiders.

Gerald D
Thu 03 July 2008, 09:20
Some pics of what is happening:

I must admit that I am cheating - I have staff who know how to read my drawings :). They work overtime on this private project for untaxed pay.

J.R. Hatcher
Thu 03 July 2008, 11:49
Someone's been busy. If you don't mind just make up an extra set of those parts for me.:D ................ Probably won't take but about 30 min.

Marc Shlaes
Thu 03 July 2008, 12:26
Are you just going to "pop" over and pick them up? :p

RLH3
Thu 03 July 2008, 15:17
So Gerald, did the MechMates get painted MM blue first or did the shop?:D

Roman

Gerald D
Thu 03 July 2008, 20:50
The blue theme started with a tool trolley from these guys 15 years ago http://www.gedore.co.za/. The nearest aerosol can of blue I could find to that was "Electric Blue" by http://www.sprayon.co.za/index.asp?pgid=15 (you can see the colour in both those links). When I wanted a standard colour for the MechMates, I asked Sprayon if they had a Pantone or RAL code for their Electric Blue, to which they replied that it is Ford Blue, but they weren't allowed to use the Ford name.

This week we bought 15 cans of Sprayon Electric Blue and have also had 10 liters [2.5 gal] of quick dry enamel mixed to match it.

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 03 July 2008, 22:36
What a nice sight...The Mech Mate Maternity Ward..MM's are BORN here.

Gerald D
Sat 05 July 2008, 09:12
Today's spider work has a thread of its own (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878).

The home paint shop:

Paint baking area - gets hot when parked in the weak mid-winter sun:

One of today's products:

Marc Shlaes
Sat 05 July 2008, 09:18
Trash bins are your life! :cool: Oh wait... you say rubbish bins!

Alan_c
Sat 05 July 2008, 10:10
What I want to know is how did you manage to find some sunshine? we haven't seen the sun this side of the mountain for three days. :)

Gerald D
Sat 05 July 2008, 10:15
My suburb is not called Sun Valley for nothing. :)

Hey, while you on-line, have you still got your Gabriel gaslift near you? How long is it, fully extended, shoulder to shoulder (excluding tip threads)?

Alan_c
Sat 05 July 2008, 10:28
548mm extended, 293mm closed.

Gerald D
Sat 05 July 2008, 10:44
Thanks!

Gerald D
Sat 05 July 2008, 10:50
The Mcmaster spring is 567mm, which is 19mm longer than the Gabriel, which will put the top bracket back to where the drawings used to show it, which makes me wonder what the other bloke got his knickers in a knot about, and why did I change the drawing to leave lot's of extra meat now? . . . . Anyway, we are out for the evening - maybe "see" you tomorrow.

Robert M
Sat 05 July 2008, 11:40
Gerald,
Can’t confirm what I’m about to put here since I do not have neither springs.
But the McMaster maybe 19mm longer & by specs ( since I don’t have the real ones) it is shows at a 250mm stroke.
On the other hand, the Gabriel has maybe shorter total extended length ( 548mm) but longer stroke at 255mm ( 548-293=255 ??) !!.
Would it be worth looking in to this just for sake of shorter tube /plate assy and longer stroke availability ??
Just a thought & maybe a good hand !
Robert ;)

Gerald D
Sat 05 July 2008, 15:26
Robert, the Gabriels are produced here in Cape Town, I don't think that they are available to the average MM builder. The difference between 255 and 250 is too small to be significant. The difference between 548 and 567 is simply a re-position of the upper bracket. All very basic and nothing further to look into.

hennie
Mon 07 July 2008, 01:35
Gerald will you be using one of cnc directs bob`s?

Gerald D
Mon 07 July 2008, 01:39
No, they will all be PMDX-122's

Gerald D
Wed 23 July 2008, 01:04
The bulk of the steelwork has been done. . . . .

(curved tubes are for another job!)

The sideframes above are for tables 4,5 (3.75m X) & 6 (1.9m X).
Table 3 (2.75m X) will be shown in a new thread.
Table 7 (400mm X) is going to mount on the walls of my garage at home.

isladelobos
Wed 23 July 2008, 04:29
Wow!!

You need a good Garage for install all this machines. nice production.

Lex
Wed 23 July 2008, 07:59
There is value in a bolted table. I have been thinking of bolting the leg and brace assembly to the main beam as well. The main beam seems to make the sub assembly top heavy(in theory). If the machine gets unbolted and moved it might be easier to protect the rails and gear track from damage. What is your thougths about something like that Gerald?

Lex
Wed 23 July 2008, 09:03
I must add that I was thinking to make it easier for myself if I had to assemble the table on my own. The four legs with the bracing can be set up first before lifting the main beams in position. Me Crazy?:)

Gerald D
Wed 23 July 2008, 09:41
I want to stop the main beams from rocking/flexing/tilting in the y-direction - that is the main reason for keeping the legs and uprights welded under the beam. (I didn't actually see the purpose of the vertical uprights as helping to stop the beam from sagging - the beam is strong enough by itself.)

When the y-car makes sudden movements on top of the gantry, it kicks the beams sideways, and this is the direction in which I have noticed most "hum" from a table. Ideally I would want every single single cross-support welded under the beam - and I probably am still going to do that in addition to the bolts. That would be a very easy weld to cut if the table must be taken apart.

Carrying a side-frame the correct way up is actually easier than the other way around. Just make sure you have 2 trestles to park it on - one at each point and legs simply hang down.

Lex
Wed 23 July 2008, 22:41
I have decided to stick to your bolting arrangement. I still can't grasp the forces the spindle/ router is appling to the table structure to its full extend. This is something one must experience more than calculated before hand I think.

Gerald D
Wed 23 July 2008, 23:22
The first thing one must recognise is that the major forces are in the horizontal plane. The dynamic "vibration inducers" are horizontal.

In the vertical plane the thing is more static. We want long term flatness and repeatability of the z dimension. But there isn't anything that really causes up and down bounce.

Gerald D
Thu 24 July 2008, 05:52
The annual big wave surf contest is about to start. Here are some pics of local surfing conditions off the "Cape of Storms":

http://www.oneillsa.com/Events/Raw-Courage-Awards/Biggest-Wave-Award.asp

What does this have to do with MechMate? Nothing! :)

Robert M
Thu 24 July 2008, 05:59
Well… They actually do have something in common !
Both are just amazing! :eek: :D
Thanks Gerald ! ;)

sailfl
Thu 24 July 2008, 06:26
Awsome Waves!

Greg J
Thu 24 July 2008, 07:18
Pull in, big wave surfing is one most amazing, coolest, "things" we humans do. !!! :cool::cool::cool:

Gerald D
Thu 24 July 2008, 07:32
Have seen dolphins, seals and sharks doing it too, but not in those very big waves - they have more intelligence, and respect for their environment! :)

Gerald D
Fri 25 July 2008, 11:54
From blue waves to blue steel:

CAM Craft
Sat 26 July 2008, 23:33
http://www.redbullbwa.com/

Twiggy won the red bull big wave yesterday

Gerald D
Sun 27 July 2008, 00:46
Why am I not surprised at: "Thoughts also go to the South African surfers who were injured in the contest: Jason Ribbink (concussion), Mike Schlebach (dislocated shoulder), and Charles Reitz in yesterday's practice session (broken ribs). Get well soon boys and hopefully we'll see you fighting fit next year."?

Picture & video gallery from yesterday:
http://www.redbullbwa.com/photos.php

Greg J
Sun 27 July 2008, 09:23
Great pictures and video. A special breed they are.

Gerald D
Sun 27 July 2008, 09:41
More videos here:

http://www.redbullbwa.com/2008_videos.html

Greg J
Sun 27 July 2008, 11:15
You know, I could watch those all day long when I should be in the shop making dust. ;)

I can't believe they survive some of those wrecks.

OK, to the shop. :)

Marc Shlaes
Mon 28 July 2008, 20:23
Gerald,

Just curious, are you putting spindles on all these machines?

Gerald D
Mon 28 July 2008, 22:57
Yes

Marc Shlaes
Tue 29 July 2008, 07:05
The reason I asked that in the other thread was I was looking at the control box and trying to identify the components that support the spindles. My control box is supporting only a router - at least at first. I have about 60% of my control box parts and I am getting ready to buy the rest so I was mentally tracing your wires. The wires in that particular picture were easy to follow. Pictures seem to work better for me than wiring diagrams at first. The way I seem to work is to:

Conceptually understand the real thing
Draw my own diagram
Compare my diagram with the ones posted and see if my understanding was correctJR and I have friendly "discussions" about my approach. He takes a very practical "hands on" / figure-it-out-as-we-go approach. "Just go do it" has never worked very well for me.

The good news is that I can tell from the posts that both kinds of people can get their machines built - when the day job isn't completely in the way.

Replied here (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14208&postcount=36)

CAM Craft
Tue 29 July 2008, 22:23
i have received all the VFD's, and 95% of the components that make up all 4control boxes and push button sets for 5machines. when i get the chance to triple check LAPP cable lengths then i will order. Is there blue paint left over at your shop to spray control/VFD boxes and more square tubing box spacers?

Gerald D
Wed 30 July 2008, 00:13
There is still a lot of paint here (and some more big frames to paint). Bring the boxes out on the bakkie today and you can take back a gantry and some more parts to start assembling.

CAM Craft
Wed 30 July 2008, 06:28
thanks. will buzz you later first

Gerald D
Tue 26 August 2008, 23:15
This Mamba made me smile this morning:
http://www.newwaytrucks.com/refuse_trucks/satellites/mamba.asp

javeria
Wed 27 August 2008, 06:38
Hi Sean,

did you get a discount on the spindles and VFD's (because you bought many)?

RGDS
Irfan

Gerald D
Wed 27 August 2008, 07:03
No, as far as what they are concerned, less than 20 or 50 or 100 is not "many". I would not even dare ask for a discount for only 5.

javeria
Wed 27 August 2008, 07:44
Gerald, kindly PM me the vitamin M involved

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 27 August 2008, 22:32
Hi Gerald / Sean, where are you going to put all these new MM's ? From what I remember on my last visit they will not fit comfortably in Sean's existing factory. Some place new on ground floor for the future ?

Gerald D
Wed 27 August 2008, 23:02
One of the big board suppliers has offered some space, and Sean is hunting around for bigger premises.

CAM Craft
Wed 27 August 2008, 23:04
Something like that or find an additional site and run the business from both. it isn't easy to expand!

Alan_c
Wed 27 August 2008, 23:08
It isn't easy to be in two places at once either, unless the second site runs a bit like a franchise?

hennie
Wed 27 August 2008, 23:14
"As die kat weg is, is die muis baas!"Keep it in one workshop tip from a fool who have a diploma from "sohks" ( school of hard knocks).

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 28 August 2008, 04:34
I think Alan is SUGGESTING something ;)

Gerald D
Thu 28 August 2008, 06:23
Saw that. :)

Sean already has 3 full-time employees and the second site will only need rare visits by management. That is for the cases where the same file is cut over and over, day after day. An operator can do that by only using the buttons on the gantry. It can be a pretty "dumb" site.

Hennie, factory rentals in Sean's area run R35 to R40 /m2 /month. Factory purchases are R4500 to R6000 /m2. It is not going to be easy to find 300m2 in the area where his established customers are. So, he would have to beg, borrow, steal cheap space, run lots of machines, make lots of money, and then buy some space. :)

Okay, that was the last word on how Sean runs his business - the old man must butt out!

hennie
Thu 28 August 2008, 07:41
I know the feeling looking for space my town is so slooow on the development side of industrial areas and with the rent that we pay could have gone on a verry long holiday.Seems like space is the final frontier good luck!

Alan_c
Thu 28 August 2008, 14:07
I think Alan is SUGGESTING something ;)

Come on guys, I know i'm jobless, but I have my own MechMate :D, I was merely advising as Hennie did that without eagle eyes watching, staff has been known to slack off a "little" ???

CAM Craft
Thu 28 August 2008, 22:23
the beauty of CNC cutting it has a fixed time to cut and you can calculate an average reload of machine. Therefore i know how many boards get cut in a day and staff must finish the job before leaving. harder he works sooner he goes!!!

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 28 August 2008, 22:58
Sorry Alan, just joking, but I won't mind to be part of a MM 'Franchise' We know it's a good machine, the customers know what they want and are happy with the results, but now the customer needs these parts in JHB. Instead of cutting it in CPT and shipping...the Franchise branch in JHB can cut it to the same spec.... for example...saving on transport costs and expanded NETWORKING. The other advantage is sharing cutting files between MM shops...less time spend by each shop developing cutting paths.

hennie
Thu 28 August 2008, 23:28
Ok Kobus this is another question.My town is not that big and as you know anybody can download drawings for free!In my town I do work for the competition and they all know what I am building as they go in and out of my shop as they want ( bakkie brigade and guys with their own shops but are limited on tools).What if my competition builds another MM in town?
There is already a thermwood, rover 20 and some other german cnc and soon to be one MM super delux model 2008 brand new built by owner.Point is my town would be to small for another MM franchise.

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 28 August 2008, 23:38
I see your point, but the idea is to have one (1) MM Franchise / area / town. Between the MM owners we share cutting files and cutting ideas and in this way we have the advantage over the competitors that work by themselves. We cut down on design costs...Getting the bugs / cut problems sorted on a new product can take time and if we do it collectively we can save time and money....just an idea.

hennie
Thu 28 August 2008, 23:50
Gerald if I may ask is it possble to see how many guys have downloaded the plans in SA? I know of some new guys that contacted me for info and they would probably start their own threads soon.Kobus there is probably more MM built then the couple of us that opened threads.

Gerald D
Fri 29 August 2008, 00:06
134 people said they were from South Africa when they joined this site. How many of those actually downloaded the plans, or are building, I can only guess. Did once e-mail all of them for offering special pricing/shipping on purchased components and the response was minimal (3?). Don't think there are more than 10 being built outside of Cape Town.

Gerald D
Fri 29 August 2008, 00:16
The idea of sharing files has never taken off. Looking at the very active and big ShopBot community, on their forum, someone (always a "newbie") often tries to start some file sharing, but it never takes off. I have sometimes looked at a file that was put up for sharing and have never been able to run it because of various issues. Inches/millimeter, unknown cutter size, unknown holddown method, clamp/screw positions, zero to table surface or work surface, zero to cutter edge or cutter center, home 0,0 corner undefined, etc., etc. Sharing dxf's is easier, but that also has little support.

Kobus_Joubert
Fri 29 August 2008, 01:26
Exactely...I have downloaded files, but find that I spend lot's of time re-working it to get the final product useful. That is why a group of MM Franchise owners can be so powerful. We all use the same machine, we all use Mach3 and we standardise on the CAM software.

Gerald D
Fri 29 August 2008, 02:23
If we standardise to that level (which includes clamping methods), the crux question will become: Will we share and standardise on customers? That decision is not based on our equipment or working methods - that is an ancient question of long before CNC. Farmers drift into, and out of, co-ops all the time.

Franchising is rather different than a co-op. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchising . Here is an interesting extract:

"Businesses for which franchises are said to work best have the following characteristics

Businesses with a good track record of profitability.
Businesses built around a unique or unusual concept.
Businesses with broad geographic appeal.
Businesses which are relatively easy to operate.
Businesses which are relatively inexpensive to operate.
Businesses which are easily duplicated.That sort of rules us out, doesn't it?

Kobus_Joubert
Fri 29 August 2008, 05:32
All dependes how optimistic you are....do you see half a glass of water as half full or half empty.

Businesses with a good track record of profitability. ...This will come with time and how well the different shops share knowledge etc.
Businesses built around a unique or unusual concept....The things we can do on a MM puts us into this catagory ?
Businesses with broad geographic appeal.... I am sure that in every city at least we can generate enough leads to keep us busy.
Businesses which are relatively easy to operate....Once we have available files for standard jobs, the cutting part is easy...even with semi skilled people.
Businesses which are relatively inexpensive to operate....Once you have recovered your original outlay to build the MM I believe running costs puts us into this.
Businesses which are easily duplicated...100% correct...once you have a working idea, you duplicate it as many times as you want ..at minimal extra costs.

Just my way of looking at the problem....sorry no problem only a solution .;)

Gerald D
Fri 29 August 2008, 08:40
In a "franchise" style of operation, there is one franchisor and multiple franchisees. The franchisees literally buy the franchisor's know-how of running his business as well as use of his trademarks, etc. There is very much a leader/followers relationship and control stays with the single leader. I don't see that happening with general CNC routing where there is no definite product.

It could happen where there are definite products like signs or carved doors, but it won't happen for movie set builders. There must be a strong product line and public awareness of brand image before someone can sell a franchise for that product line.

Kobus, I think you are meaning a "co-operative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative)" and calling it a "franchise"?

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 30 August 2008, 11:11
Ok Co-op is fine with me...sounds better as well.....working together...

hennie
Tue 02 September 2008, 23:32
Sean D
Quick question?
Do you use your normal board supplier or do you buy direct from importers if you do know of any importers of board products in Cape town PLease! pm me details. I am looking to buy direct in bulk from importers in the near future.

CAM Craft
Wed 03 September 2008, 02:00
hi, just a from a plain lumber supplier if needs be. Most customers normally buy their own board

domino11
Sat 25 October 2008, 09:53
Gerald,
How is the new Mechmate stable coming along? Just wondering how your builds were progressing. I wont ask for pictures. :o:D

Gerald D
Sat 25 October 2008, 14:46
The components are basically ready for assembly (all the purchases are now in). Busy laying services: electrical power, dust extraction.

isladelobos
Tue 09 December 2008, 09:56
Hey Herald you're finish the machines?

We need pics :)

Gerald D
Tue 09 December 2008, 10:40
The parts are made, but they are not assembled. We are looking for a bigger building.

domino11
Tue 21 April 2009, 11:16
Within a few weeks we will have a table running with bolted cross-supports, but still with welded frames 1010310.

What? A new table almost done and no pictures? :eek::rolleyes:

Sorry Gerald, couldnt resist the temptation to bump. :)

javeria
Tue 21 April 2009, 12:28
G' - you were re-named Herald - :D

Gerald D
Tue 21 April 2009, 14:39
The parts are made, but they are not assembled. We are looking for a bigger building.

The bigger building is being moved into right now, and 2 new machines are being assembled there before vacating the old premises. It's chaotic - no time for pictures!:eek:

Hoping to see 4 machines in a row soon.

domino11
Tue 21 April 2009, 14:41
That would make a nice picture. :)

Good luck with your move and new machines Gerald. :)

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 22 April 2009, 22:23
Good luck Gerald and Sean. Must be a good time too move with all these Public Holiday's we are having :D

Gerald D
Wed 13 May 2009, 05:43
Some progress at the new premises.

(The first two machines are still earning the rent at the old premises)

(Before the purchase):

Alan_c
Wed 13 May 2009, 06:07
That looks so cool, nice working space, green with envy...:)

javeria
Wed 13 May 2009, 06:17
Thats really a nice place and a lot of space to stretch!

RGDS
IRfan

domino11
Wed 13 May 2009, 06:21
Wow,
That looks awesome. :)

Lex
Wed 13 May 2009, 06:25
Now thats what I call a workshop!

jhiggins7
Wed 13 May 2009, 08:14
Gerald,

Fabulous!:)

Looks to be 8 meter (or so) ceilings. Will the roof structure support a beam-hoist?

sailfl
Wed 13 May 2009, 09:05
Gerald,

Lots of room and it will be fun to see all the machine operating. When do you install the dust collections?

Gerald D
Wed 13 May 2009, 09:15
That extra height is earmarked for a mezzanine one day.....something that will carry the 4x dust collecters, compressor and maybe a 5th MM for smaller jobs.

The un-assembled table, leaning against the wall is the "spare" one that could go upstairs. The bay where it is now will receive the big MM currently in production at the old premises.

Hoists are not being considered - labour is cheap.

The "dual" control boxes house the VFD and reactor for the spindles. Tired of blowing dust out of the current VFD when its speed control goes haywire. Will have to find out if the heat gets dissipated though.

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 13 May 2009, 22:41
I hope ... I know Sean will now make his millions even quicker with all these machines lined up like that....but he will be a busy man producing all the G-code to keep those spindles moving.....For a man that is just married it must be hell...:D

Well done and good luck

hennie
Thu 14 May 2009, 02:40
Nice space to make a lot of noise,the only thing is that with the space one tends to fill it up verry fast,so go for it .Good Luck :)

PEU
Thu 14 May 2009, 04:27
Very nice place! Im still looking for a similar place near home with no luck yet...

Felicitaciones !! (congratulations)

zetacnc
Thu 14 May 2009, 06:14
WOW!

Nice place!

PEU
Mon 18 May 2009, 14:05
Gerald, some questions on the new space:

can you share the approximate dimensions?

I see no offices space, just a reception place, is this supposed to be just a factory or its going to host offices too?

When in full operation, the space is enough? or the place was decided on other factors too?

Thanks!

Doug_Ford
Mon 18 May 2009, 19:05
I'm envious as hell.

For several years now, I've been wondering how y'all manage to move those huge sheets of mdf. Moving a 3/4" X 4' X 8' sheet just about kills me. I would think that a hoist would be mandatory. I know you wrote that labor is cheap but who would show up for their second day of work? :)

domino11
Mon 18 May 2009, 19:12
Doug,
What about 1" or 1.25" mdf, do not forget also that Gerald has access to 5' x 9' sheets in Africa. Not those wimpy 4x8s that we use. :) My back hurts just thinking about it. :)

Gerald D
Mon 18 May 2009, 21:05
Pablo, it is 25m x 10m, the front office room is 4m x 5m. The space was decided by cost, and then it was decided how many machines could fit in there. Wanted 3 big machines minimum. The extra height was a bonus. Sean has 4 guys working for him - one in the office and 3 in the shop. The 3 shop guys handle the big boards as a team.

Heath, our really big boards are 12' x 6' x 1.25", Standard boards are 9' x 6'

hennie
Mon 18 May 2009, 23:03
It takes 3 guys to carry 1 sheet of mdf 9x6 16 mm thick in my shop.That is for cutting on the panel saw, and me and one for the MM.
Gerald on my side of the country on Monday`s its me and one guy :D

kaartman
Tue 19 May 2009, 03:28
http://www.gorillagripper.com/

This subject needed a thread by itself: http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750 (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750)

PEU
Tue 19 May 2009, 08:33
Pablo, it is 25m x 10m, the front office room is 4m x 5m. The space was decided by cost, and then it was decided how many machines could fit in there. Wanted 3 big machines minimum. The extra height was a bonus. Sean has 4 guys working for him - one in the office and 3 in the shop. The 3 shop guys handle the big boards as a team.

Heath, our really big boards are 12' x 6' x 1.25", Standard boards are 9' x 6'

Thanks for the answers G. one more (more may follow :)) that 10x25 includes the office space or its just the machines area? Im eyeing a lot that is 8.66x26m and I tought it was small.
Thanks!

Pablo
PS: is there such a thing as: this is a big enough shop? :D

Gerald D
Tue 19 May 2009, 09:01
Pablo, here are early sketches of original space and some ideas. Some ideas have changed:

(change the .txt to .dxf)

PEU
Tue 19 May 2009, 09:35
Pablo, here are early sketches of original space and some ideas. Some ideas have changed:

(change the .txt to .dxf)

Thank you very much G. I was looking for plans ideas for a long time, your design gives me fresh ideas and validates some I had. Thanks again!

Gerald D
Tue 19 May 2009, 09:57
Pablo, if you are replying to the most recent post, please do not use the "Quote" button and repeat that whole post again: Using quotes when replying to a post - only use if essential please (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816)

Nothing personal against the guys where I am making this comment :)

cncb
Wed 20 May 2009, 09:48
Great work Gerald, do you plan on running all four at the same time/all the time? or really is having the 4 so you can dedicate a certain type of project to each one? Ever considering a toolchanger in the future?

Gerald D
Wed 20 May 2009, 10:00
Four machines may be an overkill in these economic times, but the wheel will turn . . . . .

Toolchangers are not on the horizon.

Gerald D
Thu 04 June 2009, 10:39
The old shop has been vacated and the new shop is a mess:

Tomorrow, wife and I are off to the north-east corner of the country for about 10 days. Yes, I am running away from Sean and his setup issues! :D

domino11
Thu 04 June 2009, 10:44
Moving is very stressful! Moving a business must be worse. Good luck to Sean on the move and Gerald on his vacation. :)

Gerald D
Thu 04 June 2009, 10:44
There are now 6 tables in there:

1. The original ShopBot base, with MechMate moving parts. Back into production and its sale delayed by about a month

2. The big machine from the first shop, back into production.

3, 4, 5 Standing in place along the wall, but not fully setup yet

6 Disassembled.

7. Belongs to me but has parts scattered between 3 different premises

domino11
Thu 04 June 2009, 10:47
Gerald,
Shouldnt 7. read as "spare parts for Sean" ? ;)

javeria
Thu 04 June 2009, 10:47
And just a few days back - WE thought this was such a huge space!

domino11
Thu 04 June 2009, 10:50
Irfan,
I have found shop space fills up very easily. I think it was one of Newtons lost laws that states that shop equipment will expand to fill any size shop that is available. :)

javeria
Thu 04 June 2009, 10:52
Agree fully!

Gerald D
Thu 04 June 2009, 11:09
"spare parts for Sean" ? ;)

NO! (he has bought a couple of spares for himself - I might have to borrow from him!)

Doug_Ford
Thu 04 June 2009, 18:18
NO! (he has bought a couple of spares for himself - I might have to borrow from him!)

And no smiley face. I think your Dad's serious Sean. :D

hennie
Thu 04 June 2009, 23:05
Good luck Sean!

Lex
Thu 04 June 2009, 23:10
Never enough hands or time to get back in production quickly!
Nearly there. Good luck!

Alan_c
Thu 04 June 2009, 23:41
Exciting stuff, done it more times than I care to remember - enjoy.

Whereabout is the new premisis, close to the old one or nearer the airport?

CAM Craft
Fri 05 June 2009, 03:13
thanks all. just 5km from old joint. Now in Salt River. I have to keep my distance from airport industria otherwise we will bump heads ;). And my spares will be stolen;). Mess means cash flow

isladelobos
Thu 18 June 2009, 07:41
Good shop !!!

Can put one Crane Hoist for move the DM to the router.

Two beams in the wall and one motion Beam with the electrical Hoist. (300Kg?)

Gerald D
Thu 13 May 2010, 10:29
Passed Sean's shop today and saw 3 or 4 of these machines bulging out their dust collector bags. . . . that's while he is on a cruise ship in Greece. :eek::cool::D

domino11
Thu 13 May 2010, 10:53
The MM never takes a holiday! :)

smreish
Thu 13 May 2010, 14:23
Nice to hear Sean's "busy" :)

Sergio-k
Thu 13 May 2010, 14:50
Gerald

Tell Sean he's welcome for a Greek night with ouzo if he comes to Athens. :D

CAM Craft
Mon 24 May 2010, 00:11
Hi Sergio, thanks for offer but i'm back now after a nice trip

Gerald D
Sat 30 July 2011, 09:37
Some production in Cape Town today:

domino11
Sat 30 July 2011, 09:54
Congratulations Gerald, Sean and Family! :)

Alan_c
Sat 30 July 2011, 10:49
Congrats Sean, looks like mom could do with some rest. Geluk vir jou ook Oupa.

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 30 July 2011, 11:13
Well done down there in Cape Town....veels geluk, mag sy julle baie gelukkig maak.

MetalHead
Sat 30 July 2011, 19:11
Congrats !!!

lunaj76
Sat 30 July 2011, 21:31
Awesome job!

kaartman
Sat 30 July 2011, 22:44
Congratulations to the whole family, Emily will bring you many years of happiness and love

KenC
Sat 30 July 2011, 22:56
Congratulation!

234ahmed
Sun 31 July 2011, 03:24
Congrats Sean. Nice work :)

normand blais
Sun 31 July 2011, 06:17
bravo, beautifull baby

CAM Craft
Sun 31 July 2011, 08:41
thanks guys.