PDA

View Full Version : What software do I need for 5-axis capability?

joepardy
Thu 18 October 2007, 14:35
I am a newbie with regards to cnc and am looking at building a mechmate machine. I am considering adding a 4th & 5th axis to the machine to give it "full" 3D capabilities.

I know that Mach2/Mach3 will handle the actual CNC machine, but what do I use to create the models and the 5 axis g-code?

I am looking at Rhino and ProgeCAD - both which appear to be able to create the 3D parts - but I do not see anything that can convert the DWG files into g-code.

Apparently MeshCAM only works with 3-axis.
RhinoCAM only works with 3-axis - with an option for a 4th axis.

Anybody have any recommendations?

driller
Thu 18 October 2007, 14:56
SheetCAM will convert your drawing files into 2-1/2 D files.

Lots of work is 2-1/2D, and SheetCAM matches Mach.

I think the real questions go to what you want to do ?

if you are cutting out panels and letters and such, where the cutter goes down to a position, stays there, and then cuts the sheet, it is pretty easy.

if you have a 3D file of a face something, you need a true 3D program.

FYI,
you create your work in either a CAD or drawing program (Corel?_)
then export it to a post-processor that then allows you to add in cuter offests and cutting path clean up and such.
then export that into an actual cut file that Mach or some such would use to move the machine.

Dave

joepardy
Thu 18 October 2007, 15:09
I think that what I am looking for is true 3D. I would like to "sculpt" prototype parts - as well as drill & cut molded fiberglass products. The drilling & routing would be on the sides of the product (handles, holes, etc) - hence the need for a 5-axis machine.

tpworks
Wed 24 October 2007, 19:43
Joe,

Check out this site and see if this is what you are lookig for.
http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_toolkit.htm

Tom

joepardy
Thu 25 October 2007, 03:43
Thanks

Marc Shlaes
Thu 25 October 2007, 03:47
I know that Mickey (bbreaker) actually owns that multi-axis head. He will be offline for a couple more weeks. He is moving from one town in France to another. You could check with him when he reappears to get his take on it.

djadjadja
Mon 05 November 2007, 01:06
How it to find?

Gerald D
Mon 05 November 2007, 22:43
No further 5-axis discussions on this forum please.

Thread closed.