PDA

View Full Version : Hyteresis brake

Speedy
Mon 08 October 2007, 15:27
Hi everey body,
can anyone tell me what ifs the benefit of the hysteresis brake to a motor? if we can use a motor instead of the hysteresis brake???

Richards
Mon 08 October 2007, 22:27
A Google search on Hysteresis Brakes shows that they are commonly used in applications that need precise tensioning. After reviewing some of the applications where they are commonly found, I don't see much of a use for them in a CNC router. Perhaps one could be used on each axis to keep a higher torque level on an axis when the stepper driver enters its "reduced current" mode, but that would require additional (complex) electronic circuitry.

Gerald D
Tue 09 October 2007, 09:51
Speedy, I see you come from a city with the fine Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule. Welcome!

Your question makes no sense to me, and I wonder if something got lost in translation somewhere? Can you please explain further the reason behind your question?

Speedy
Wed 10 October 2007, 00:49
Hi Gerald, this is right1 I come from aachen where RWTH is ! The purpose of this question is: we have a process where we want to give a special amount of tesion to the tapes that are comming from a roller.the tapes will be pulled trough a motor but the roller has a free move. In order to give the wanted tension to the tapes(threads) we gave an opposite force to the rollers by means of a hystheresis brake .the question was if we can make it also by means of a motor?!? ...but maybe without knowing about the process it is hard to answer!:)

Gerald D
Wed 10 October 2007, 01:07
Sure you can use a DC motor as a brake - then it is called a generator :)

Electrical brakes are also in "dynamometers" and there the eddy-current type brake is popular. Have a look nearer to the bottom of this thread: http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264

You are actually on completely the wrong forum to discuss this, but I have memories of being lost in Aachen and a kind person helped me - you might have been that person. (1995, Bahnhof, red shoes, yellow socks, orange hair? :))