PDA

View Full Version : Mortise and tenon

gixi
Wed 16 July 2014, 04:22
Hy guys,
I know this is not made on MM but is the same thing. The reason for not using MM is because is to far from my computer :cool:...
Here are the movies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plm8SdEMw5A&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPloBCuwG8
This is the complete frame for a stool.

Have a nice day to all !

Alan_c
Wed 16 July 2014, 23:49
Cool!, how did you program the tenon to do the little plunge on the corners before the cut? manually or with some CAM program?

gixi
Thu 17 July 2014, 01:28
It wasn't me... The CAM program did all the good job.

Alan_c
Thu 17 July 2014, 07:06
Ha Ha LOl...ok Which one?

gixi
Thu 17 July 2014, 09:51
RhinoCam. Very good but too much for my budget...

Gerald D
Thu 17 July 2014, 11:06
Hi Marius. Those first little plunges on the corners are a neat trick to prevent splintering on the remaining tips.

gixi
Fri 18 July 2014, 05:47
If you someone need I can post the G code.
And if you look again after the corners are cut the bit starts away from any edges.

ger21
Fri 18 July 2014, 07:36
To me it looked like the plunge in the corners would cause more chipping, rather than prevent it. A climb cut that entered from the center of the side face would be a better option imo.

Gerald D
Fri 18 July 2014, 08:43
I first thought that plunge was only a way of reducing the chipload for the second (final) pass around the tenon. But then I realised that the actual wood corner experiences a small part of the tip of the cutter...effectively a lower cutting speed because of the smaller spinning radius. Maybe I have over-analysed it?

bradm
Fri 18 July 2014, 09:59
It looks to me like it plunges at the bit radius distance away from the corner with the center right on the entry edge, and then moves clockwise diagonal to the bit radius distance away from the corner centered on the exit edge. After the fourth corner, it plunges at the bit diameter distance away from the first corner on the exit edge, and cuts clockwise to rise at that same point.

I think it both minimizes the chipload, and eliminates pushing sideways against any unsupported wood grains, which is what would happen for the last 2/3 or so of each corner were it unrelieved.

Robert M
Fri 25 July 2014, 03:22
Out of curiosity....what's your holding method, jig for those mortise & tenon ?!
Any pics ??