PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Control Box, Best Location

Mrayhursh
Mon 12 August 2013, 14:03
I am almost ready to mount my control box for my Mechmate. I am using a laptop and the only cable that I think I will need to connect is the RJ45 to the smooth stepper. Besides turning it on I don't really see a need to have ready access to the box. I would like to mount the box somewhere along the edge under the y axis. Can anyone that has a running machine enlighten me.

swatkins
Mon 12 August 2013, 23:06
I am going to mount mine to the wall. I was thinking about trying to reduce vibrations to a minimum in order to keep all the connections tight.

It's probably not a problem mounting the box to the machine but I like to keep things simple :)

KenC
Tue 13 August 2013, 07:00
mount it at the end of the cable chain. I like it there.

Fox
Wed 14 August 2013, 13:56
On the machine= if you have the space, right under the end of the X e-chain is most convenient and best for cable lengths.
I have put mine on the back of the machine, because I have almost no space on the side of my machine. I wanted on the machine, so I can move the machine easily without screwing box of the wall + I have alsmot no space around the machine, so the box would be in the way when on the wall.

On the wall = Geralds advice; in sight, easy to trouble shoot, vibration free. Only small disadvantadge is longer cables ( compared to mounted under e-chain on machine ) and you will have to protect the cables on the floor so you do not trip over it.

you decide.

darren salyer
Wed 14 August 2013, 17:58
I've only opened my control box a time or two since completion..
Mounted on side below end of cable chain.

KenC
Wed 14 August 2013, 23:42
In the past 1 year, I opened my control box once only because I wanted to...
Since you use DM882, everything done up to industrial standard, plug & play, you shouldn't worry about vibration... unlike open board type Gecko drivers which you need to worry about all sort of protective measures...

Mrayhursh
Sun 01 September 2013, 19:06
Darren
The reason you haven't open the control box is because you are to busy making stuff. You have a fantastic amount of projects already finished. Would you please put out a couple of videos so that you can encourage the people still building. Thanks signed ....slow moving

darren salyer
Mon 02 September 2013, 19:44
I've tried video in the past, but I've gotta say, a couple minutes into watching a cut file run, it gets pretty boring, real fast. Kind of like watching paint dry.
I'm sure anyone who has watched a machine run will attest to the truth of that statement.
I'd rather post some pics of completed "eye candy" as motivation.