PDA

View Full Version : stepper motors 4 or 8 wire leads

paulus
Tue 02 July 2013, 13:25
Hi guys.
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this for me. I don't know any thing about stepper motors and how they work. So what I need to know is what is the differance between a 4 lead and a 8 lead motor and witch one is better and why? I have read some posts and went on the net but just not getting a clear answer. I want to buy some motors and localy they only have 4 leads so I am in two minds to spending a lot of money getting it from the US or a little cheaper in SA.
Can any one help please

Paul.

2e0poz
Tue 02 July 2013, 14:49
If the 4 wire are advertised as Bipolar then they are prewired in parralel already. The 8 wire ones would need to be wired back to just 4 connections meaning more wires to think about tats all. The difference is just about the ability to wire the winding in series or parralel. Google Bipolar parralel vs unipolar, should bring up plenty of pics showing you the difference.

paulus
Tue 02 July 2013, 14:55
Ok so the speed and power wil be the same?

2e0poz
Tue 02 July 2013, 15:03
yes

paulus
Tue 02 July 2013, 15:07
Thanks paul

bradm
Tue 02 July 2013, 18:01
You should check all the other specifications of the motors, in particular the amperage and impedance values, and how well they match up with whatever you are planning to use to drive the motors. The 4 vs. 8 (or 6) wire piece may be the least important specification.

hennie
Tue 02 July 2013, 23:21
Go to CNC Direct` s website .Somewhere Greg have some reading on the motors it should help.

MetalHead
Thu 04 July 2013, 04:54
Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256

Surfcnc
Thu 04 July 2013, 06:05
Note that 4 wire, 6 wire and 8 wire motors are all run back through the gantry as a 4 wire cable.
The "extra" wires are actually joined very close to the motor, like inches away in the shrink tubing.

Read up as Metal Head suggests as the power supply is very important to get right. How you wire your motors will effect the speed, torque and power supply requirements for the exact same motor.

Ross

paulus
Thu 04 July 2013, 12:31
Thanks guys you all realy helped a lot. Next step gearbox design. I will also post some pics of my small mm this weekend.

DrewHoffman
Mon 15 July 2013, 23:29
Hi guys.
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this for me. I don't know any thing about stepper motors and how they work. So what I need to know is what is the differance between a 4 lead and a 8 lead motor and witch one is better and why? I have read some posts and went on the net but just not getting a clear answer. I want to buy some motors and localy they only have 4 leads so I am in two minds to spending a lot of money getting it from the US or a little cheaper in SA.
Can any one help please

Paul.

i think you will get most of the information while searching google.. I will send you some useful links about the stepper motors very soon

paulus
Tue 16 July 2013, 13:50
Thanks drew it will be most help full.