PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having forum access problems?

Gerald D
Sun 12 August 2007, 13:11
Over the last 2 or 3 days it has been very difficult for me to get into the forum. The forum runs off a server (http://www.lexiconn.com/) in Connecticut, so I am wondering if this is only a South Africa problem, or if other folk around the world are having the same issues?

In general, would you guys call mechmate.com a fast or slow site?

Thanks for feedback.

J.R. Hatcher
Sun 12 August 2007, 14:01
I've never had a problem getting into the forum, so for me, it's fast.

Marc Shlaes
Sun 12 August 2007, 14:42
Same for me Gerald. Seldom a problem and more than adequate speed.

Greg J
Sun 12 August 2007, 18:01
Gerald,

Its fast. You know how much I use this forum. Speed is the least of my issues. :)

Greg

Alan_c
Mon 13 August 2007, 00:15
Hi Gerald

Maybe its your ISP, I have no problems on our ISDN line at work or my cell dialup (GPRS) at home.

Alan

Gerald D
Mon 13 August 2007, 01:49
The strange thing is that I have a shortcut to the "last day" search on my desktop and that just "times out" with a 504 server not available error. To get to the forum I have to go the long way around (homepage, forums link)

Richards
Mon 13 August 2007, 16:16
Gerald,
No problem here getting either to the forum or to your home page. Load time, at longest, is just a few seconds using standard DSL connection.

bbreaker
Tue 14 August 2007, 14:37
no problem for me, i access it over 10 a day and it go faster ever and ever.

Bill McGuire
Tue 14 August 2007, 16:14
Same here, Gerald...
I have never had a problem getting on. I'm here in Idaho and have a high speed connection.. if this info helps...

Gerald D
Tue 14 August 2007, 20:56
Starting to discover the nature of the beast: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/ADSL/964.html
Very glad I decided to host this site outside of South Africa, because all you guys wouldn't have seen it most of the time if it was hosted here!

Gerald D
Sat 18 August 2007, 22:47
That wasn't the only problem.

I am still battling to do "last day" searches. Everything else is mostly okay, but a small search bombs out on me. I would hate that anyone else also has to suffer this. Please let me know if it is happening to you? (Been going on for just over a week)

Marc Shlaes
Sun 19 August 2007, 07:55
Gerald,

Not even the slightest bit. It is fine from the middle of the US.

Marc

Hugo Carradini
Mon 20 August 2007, 07:21
Gerald I never had a problem accessing to the forum. It is always quick with no problem.

Gerald D
Tue 21 August 2007, 12:26
My host company will move this forum to another of their servers in a different location tomorrow. There it will run on php5 and mysql5. Any glitches tomorrow and you know what caused it! :)

You guys might say that only one person has a problem, and it is not worth bothering about it. But it just so happens that this guy pays the bill! :D

Seriously, it is no fun waiting forever for threads to open or posts to appear - sometimes the posts just get eaten up. I was starting to dread finding new posts that needed me to type something. :(

For the geeks; It appears that my South African ISP connects to the US via a couple of servers in different locations. Some of those locations are sometimes proved to be flaky and others don't get spoken about. (Everybody seems very secretive on where their servers are). Trying a different location is a shot in the dark, but we have nothing to lose. Besides, we will go to later software.

Marc Shlaes
Tue 21 August 2007, 17:44
Gerald,

I don't know about others, but I for one feel guilty that you pay anything at all. Please do two things...

(1) Let us know what this mothly bill comes to and (2)set up a paypal account and let us each contribute as each sees fit.

Please consider it!

Doug_Ford
Wed 22 August 2007, 06:41
I agree. I'll pitch in and help with the bill.

Gerald D
Wed 22 August 2007, 09:33
This site was moved an hour ago, and it looks good for me so far.

Thanks for the offers of donations, but I feel the expenses are small enough to pay for my freedom. While I do this for free, I am at liberty to decide that I won't answer an e-mail, or that I can take a few weeks break whenever I feel like it. I've had numerous people insisting that I have to take their money and dance to their tune to design special machines for them. This is a hobby, and it has to stay that way. The visible cost is only $30/month - way cheaper than sitting in a pub! :)

Marc Shlaes
Wed 22 August 2007, 12:17
'nuff said. But I do want you design a full-size Mechmate that I can fold up and put into a standard airline overhead compartment. Can you do that? ;)

J.R. Hatcher
Wed 22 August 2007, 12:43
Hey if we are getting up a wish list I would like to have plans for a bandsaw sawmill, and maybe ..... let me think uh