PDA

View Full Version : Attachments to the Y-Car

Gerald D
Thu 19 July 2007, 10:30
I have been a bit slack in defining how bits and pieces get screwed to the Y-Car. Things like the cable chain, push-button box, dust collector, etc. There is no one standard, or one right way for these, mostly because they could be so different, dependent on supplier.

Received this message a while ago: "would you please post a picture or drawing of how the z spring should attach to the y car. thanks". For this I have no excuse, since I show part 10 40 386 and I don't show where it fits.......

A drilled hole is needed in the Y-Car:

Then the Z-spring anchor is mounted here:

The thing to watch is the tension in the spring. On one machine I dispensed with part 10 40 386 altogether and hooked a slightly weaker spring directly through the hole drilled in the Y-Car. On the second machine I also hooked directly through the drilled hole, but I made a "meathook" to extend the spring (a bit of wire with a neat hook on each end). Simply watch the spring tension and use your creativity to anchor the spring. :)

(PS. if your router has a very wide/big body, you might have to swing the spring a bit out of the way (move hole further from center of car))

J.R. Hatcher
Thu 19 July 2007, 11:06
Thanks Gerald, just needed your input after all the design is yours.
While I'm at it let me say how impressed I am with the way all the parts fit together, just like a giant jigsaw puzzle. thanks J.R.

Gerald D
Thu 19 July 2007, 11:33
Glad you like it. I get immense satisfaction in seeing these beasts being built by "remote control" via internet only. Designing and building one or two for myself over here is quite easy, but doing a design that will work almost anywhere was the challenge. Eg. some guys can get 1/2" square rack and 20 tooth pinions, while others use 16mm square rack and 24 tooth pinions, so the motors must be able to swing through a certain range, and the springs must still hold them tight. Another eg. I know some guys are going to build weld-distorted tables so I must estimate it could be as bad as 1/2" too wide or too narrow, but the x-rails with the racks underneath should still be "fittable". It would have been very easy to say "drill holes to 0.001" tolerances and fit Thomson bearing part number XYZ" but that wouldn't have been fun for anyone except Thomson. :)

J.R. Hatcher
Thu 19 July 2007, 14:49
It worked out nice. thanks

Gerald D
Thu 19 July 2007, 23:11
J.R, if you ever want to be a licenced MechMate builder, let me know. Your quality and attention to detail is great! It looks like you even have the washers turned the right way around. ;)

Oops, those threaded holes could do with a little countersinking/de-burring :). Only pulling your leg!

Alan_c
Thu 17 January 2008, 05:21
Gerald

I know that the usual set up is to mount the Y car motor on the front with the hold down roller at the rear (from operator position), but is it possible to reverse that arrangement with the motor at the back and the hold down in the front?

The only possible snag I could see is with the cable chain, but if the chain is a small bit longer (to give a bigger loop when completely toward the right) it should clear.

There is no mechanical reason for this query, I just feel it may look a little neater with the cable and motor at the back. If one mounts the remote button box on that side of the Y car it starts to look a little busy.

Obviously the hold down assembly would need to be welded in reverse (mirror image) so that the bearing will still contact the bottom of the rail (if using the Mamba hold down).

Is this feasable or am I looking for hassles?

Gerald D
Thu 17 January 2008, 05:59
The idea has always been to mount the spindle/router as close as possible to the y-motor, to reduce the y-car's inclination to "yaw". ie. we want the driving point on the y-car (pinion-to-rack) to be as near to the center of the cutter load as possible.

Rykegrey
Tue 17 February 2009, 08:33
a picture is worth a thousand words thanks