PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'm Jumping In - Hope I can cut my way out!

nater
Wed 13 October 2010, 21:26
Hi All:

I see the best way to learn is to build! I am artistic and mechanical, and now a little more confident. I have no experience in running a CNC but, hey I didn't know how to making whiskey or vodka until I got on a forum and built a reflux still. LOL

I think some of the MechMate CNC’s are the best DIY machines I’ve seen, my hats off to all that have taken up the challenge and succeeded.

The CNC I would like to build will have at least 49 x97 cutting capacity. I have one question before I spend money on the table. I have access to some Pallet Racking that has never been set up (Rails are probably as true as 2 x 4 steal). The width is 42 inches (now).

In your opinion: do you think that cutting the pallet rack, expanding the width, then using the rails will work for a good table? It seems almost perfect, because the spoil board could fit in the lip provided, I could also add bottom rails and wood to help keep it square. I know the rails are raited for over 5000 lbs, not including the price is free.
Your Thoughts?:)

MetalHead
Thu 14 October 2010, 04:44
Welcome !!!

I think it would be a start for the base. Can you post some pics and hard demensions wo we can see it. I think you base idea is workable. May take a little effort to clean it up (Cut / weld ) to get it in the format you want it for the MechMate.

domino11
Thu 14 October 2010, 06:00
Welcome Nate,
Lots of people here have incorporated different table designs into their Mechmate. I am sure you can work it out. :)