PDA

View Full Version : Noob build: 5 x 10 with roller bearing R&P

toolfool
Fri 24 September 2010, 17:53
New here but been lurking on DIY CNC sites for a couple of years and finally gave up trying to find an affordable do-it-all machine so I figure to try and build one.

I need to cut 5' wide melamine and hardwood ply panels normally, up to 1/2" aluminum plate occasionally and small (usually 8"x8" or less) aluminum molds maybe once a week. Clearance to work on 8" in the Z axis isn't that critical just desirable. Going to check out more of the extended 'Z' solutions here.

I don't need a high rapid or production shop muscle but I want something with high resolution that won't have to be babied. Intend to use Nexen rack and flange mounted roller bearings on X,Y and Z axis with profile guide rails. They're over 99% efficient in their energy transfer and look like they'd adapt well to the MechMate design.

Steppers should be fine for starters and later I'll migrate the pricier components to a servo machine with an ATC spindle. Then this would become a plywood only machine with a router. For now I was just going to go with a discontinued Festool 2000w. router motor (great bearings and motor, even if they weren't made by Festool) just 'cuz they're relatively cheap right now (under $350).

So that's the broad strokes. Now it's time to break out the welder.

MetalHead
Sat 25 September 2010, 06:10
Welcome to the group !!!