PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Manufacturers and Paypal

qroger
Fri 17 September 2010, 06:19
I have not seen this issue addressed so I am starting my first thread :eek:

After thinking and reading I have settled on a Motion King or equivalent Chinese Motor. I have the cash in my hand. The contact people are helpful and alert, I can live with the lead time, but I cannot find a shopping cart or a request for envoice anywhere. It seems that the transaction structure is that I send payment and then they build the motor.

Is it customary out there in the non-U.S part of the world to send several $100 to a vender half way around the world, with no paper trail at all? The buyer, (me) is paying Paypal charges and using Paypal as a transfer agent, so why doesn't the seller take advantage of Paypal's tools https://merchant.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=merchant/online_invoicing and improve the quality of my sleep? Given the choice between a Paypal guaranteed transaction backed by an envoice, and standing naked, dealing on faith, the choice is easy. What if the sales agent gets hit by a bus?

I know many have travelled this road before me, but I avoid pain and risk when I can. Comments?

Kobus_Joubert
Fri 17 September 2010, 06:45
Your steppers could have been shipped by now. MotionKing is a good company that have supplied motors to MechMate builders before. They even paid a heafty customs fine due to a paperwork error on their side.
They could have turned around and left me without steppers, but they did the right thing and I received my steppers the next day out of customs.

KenC
Fri 17 September 2010, 07:06
It all depend on wht is your risk tolerance....
Does 70% saving worth a few night of sleepless night?

qroger
Fri 17 September 2010, 07:14
Actually, I am convinced that I will buy from Motion King, and I am pretty sure the motors will not ship for at least a month. And we are on the way to completing the confidence building I needed. I will happy to share, once it's finished.

hennie
Fri 17 September 2010, 09:44
Roger, at the end of the day you have to take a chance me and Kobus have spent close to $950 about 2 weeks ago to bring in 16 motors to our Country,Yes there were delays but we knew what was going on as they inform you of what is happening.We have taken a chance to use one of my clients containers to bring it in.Yes it is a risk but I have taken insurance out for the items.Only thing is it comes by sea so it is a long wait.

Red_boards
Sat 18 September 2010, 00:17
Roger,
I found the agent very helpful and responsive and had no issues transferring payment using PayPal. I got my motors a couple of weeks later, nicely packaged and courier delivered. No complaints on my side.
Of course there is a risk dealing with companies on the internet, but if they have a street address and real presence (i.e. they are not a virtual company), then your risk is substantially decreased because at least you (and the authorities) can track them dowm.

qroger
Sat 18 September 2010, 09:37
Perhaps it was all just a misunderstanding.

Motion King sales generated an invoice through PayPal just as i requested.

All I had gotten before was the quote of a very good price and a paypal account name.

Now I have an invoice generated through PayPal, a record of the transaction that includes my address, my paypal account, etc. etc. and, should a meteor fall on China, my experience is that PayPal will eventually refund my payment and seek their refund from wherever the meteor came from.

I am very happy with Mr. Lee for not telling me to jump in the lake, and I have no more personal stress than when I ordered the Volkswagon wheel centers advertised on eBay from Hong Kong.

Thanks to everybody, all of you. I feel like I know and respect you, and I appreciate the attempt to guide me . :)

riesvantwisk
Thu 23 September 2010, 13:48
I have never had issues with chinese or japanese manufacturers.
The have a reputation to keep up and they know very well it's easy to shift to a other supplier, even within there own country, simply because there marges are very low.

Recently I bought a set of mills from djtol, and this all worked without a problem.

Ries

qroger
Thu 23 September 2010, 20:29
My question was more about the method than the trust. I have bought numerous items through eBay from Chinese vendors without problem. They all presented an invoice through Paypal. When I specifically asked Motion King for a Paypal invoice, they sent me one and I ordered the motors using that method and I have confidence in them and in the method. Up to that point, I thought the method was transfer the payment to their account without an invoice. It must have been a misunderstanding on my part. The Paypal fee is already a line item, so it wasn't a question of cost on my part or their part. Just the bureaucrat in me, I guess "The job is not finished until the paper work is done". Hehehe.
Roger

qroger
Mon 18 October 2010, 19:03
I ordered 4 MotionKing motors on September 18 and paid by Paypal invoice. The price quote listed 4 week lead time. On Oct 17 I was notified the motors had been shipped on Oct 15. They arrived here in the wilds of North Carolina, USA today Oct 18. That works out to shipped before 4 weeks was up.

I consider this excellent service and I am Happy. Once I drag my table from the backyard into my kitchen I will send photos.
roger:)

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 18 October 2010, 22:56
Yes Roger, I agree, I had excelent service from Motion King. They really went the extra mile when my stuff was in Customs and they had to pay a penalty as some of the paperwork was not 100% correct.

qroger
Tue 19 October 2010, 07:03
A little note from our friends at MotionKing. This company competes on price, now it appears also on service. According to Kobus, on quality as well! Apparently the 9801's are available for shipping, so could arrive in North Carolina in a week or less. If it was me, I would once again ask for an invoice through Paypal, (for whatever protection is there), then let fly with the funds transfer.
Roger

Dear Roger Callaway,

Many thanks for your support. Actually we can deliver motors earlier if without National Day Holidays during Oct 01~07.

Also as many of hobby users use 34HS9801 for their CNC, in order to meet fast delivery we have some qty on stock. Pls let me know if you or your friends need it.

Thanks & Best Regards!

Media Lee
2010-10-19