PDA

View Full Version : Assistance needed moving from router to spindle

miketeejay
Thu 12 August 2010, 10:45
Hello Gerald (retired) (How did you manage that?)

Having taken your advice from my earliest tip toeing into CNC, going from the die grinder to the big Metabo, I am finally making some proper money and need to become much more productive, so I need to move to a spindle. Remembering your trepidation when you first took this step, any advice on how to make the first move? I recall you were happy with the price and performance of an Italian spindle. And what is a VDU?

I will come back later to discuss the prowess of a certain World cup cricket team.

Mike

Gerald D
Thu 12 August 2010, 11:30
Rocking Horse Mike!
My "retired" moniker only applies to MechMate. The mission was accomplished and son is now setup to find his own destiny. This website has a new owner and I am taking a back seat over here.

Spindles are becoming more and more affordable now that we have managed to strip away all the mystique and romance associated with the word spindle - it's a simple AC motor with over-priced bearings.

A spindle isn't going to give a quantum leap in productivity. (one of son's machines still has the Metabo in regular service even though he has 2 spare spindles). But, noise is less, speed control is better and with the right set of collets you can clamp any diameter toolbit.

Today I rekon I would look to the East (Orient) for a first spindle, instead of Italy.

Cricket? At our age it should be croquet!