PDA

View Full Version : Electric Kits

MetalHead
Mon 19 July 2010, 06:20
All I have been pulling together more and more pieces to make building the MechMate easier for us.

I am now working to get Electics Kits pulled together and want to know what the interest is in these kits. I want to make a kit that can be adjusted to fit your needs. Full Kit, Medium Kit, Basic kit etc.

I am looking at putting this it together (Full Kit) with these items. (partial list at the moment) so you can order this stuff from one source.

1. Case 20x20x8 (or 20x20x10)
2. Power Supply
3. PMDX
4. Drivers (Gecko or Keling)
5. DIN Rails and mounting Hardware
6. Terminal Blocks
7. Contactors, Handles and Power Switch
8. Motors
Oriental Motor PK296A2A-SG7.2
or
KL34H260-60-4A 465oz easy to wire 6 Amps 1.7 Inductance
or
KL34H280-45-8A 640oz easy to wire Bi Polar Parallel 6.3 Amps 2.2 Inductance

I have chosen these three motors becuase they are very common.

I want feedback to see if folks want this.

This will save you TONS or research time and ordering things all over the place.

This kit will not have wires and/or instructions. You can source the wires and this forum is the instructions.

Thoughts?

smreish
Mon 19 July 2010, 07:07
Mike,
I would add, Xtra deep 3 and 4 button boxes. The standard depth are just (too) shallow for some of the e-stop contact buttons.

bradm
Mon 19 July 2010, 07:35
Maybe proximity sensors.

I think that if your have demand for the elect kits, you should consider selling wire. It's hard to track down and source good wire for this application, and order the medium size quantity we need. I would think that sourcing it by the spool, and selling it in 50 foot increments would make sense; those placing the box close can use one, and wanting an extra 12 feet of range can buy two.

sailfl
Mon 19 July 2010, 08:21
You guys are going to take all the fun of building the thing.

MetalHead
Mon 19 July 2010, 08:50
Funny - I doubt that it will take the fun out of the build.

I know that diggin in is part of it, but I think it is better used learnin how all the pieces work together.

Who knows. No one may even want this kind of kit. That is why I am asking.

KenC
Mon 19 July 2010, 09:06
For an electrical & electronics idiot like me, digging for parts was half the fun & a major part of the hands-on experience. Still can't claim I am competent in this field, but the least that I know is where & how to get replacement & I will know how to go about it in anycase that exact parts are not available.
but everyone is his own...
I do think there is a big market for such kit. surely there are more people who prefer to pay then to going through the hassle & tussle of digging info in this forum till 2am in the morning...

PS, why not sell completed control box excluding cable?

obuhus
Mon 19 July 2010, 09:37
I think, it is possible to add the complete set 5-pin and 8-pin connectors, for joint of cables with control box.

smreish
Mon 19 July 2010, 10:15
Selling a completed box get's into significant Product Liability use that often fall under industrial control UL508 or others. I don't think Mike want's that UL inspection fee or yearly insurance requirements.

...Just saying.

gooberdog
Mon 19 July 2010, 11:38
An easy source for wire would be handy.

Kurt Rose
Mon 19 July 2010, 15:50
Anything that will speed me up when I'm ready (probably in a few weeks) would have my vote. Especially coming from a guy that has been there. Mike. I have the CV supply site bookmarked and will be ordering soon. I would love to see the site expand it's inventory. Keep up the great work.

JamesJ
Mon 19 July 2010, 17:12
Personally I found sourcing the control box parts to be helpful to my understanding of it's function.
I'd second what Brad said about wire for the controller. Finding quality wire was easy if I wanted 50 - 250 feet but getting 10 ' was a bit more trouble.
Quality connectors (Amphenol, etc.) would be a help also.

Jim

screen_name
Mon 19 July 2010, 18:03
I was hoping to find a complete kit for the following reasons:

1. I don't have the funds to purchase a new CNC Router
2. I don't have a tools required to cut and weld the parts to assemble
3. Or the time to cut and weld

But, If I could purchase a complete kit, for 5k - 10K. I would make 10-15 days to assemble it.

domino11
Mon 19 July 2010, 18:54
Curt,
I think Mike is just taling about the control box items. Not a complete Mechmate Kit.

Regnar
Mon 19 July 2010, 19:06
Mike I know I had a hard time finding a way to connect a printer cable to the outside of the box. I ended up having to buy 20 25db to ribbon cable connectors.

I have to agree with others on the cables. I had Nils help me out but with out him I dont know where I would have purchase cables from.

Just a thought.... but if you plan on selling the kit a great how to instructions might be in order. I would save you a lot of support calls and returned products because someone hooked up a connection wrong or didnt read the directions. What every you do dont use the PMDX instructions as a example:D

screen_name
Mon 19 July 2010, 19:07
Yes, I agree. I was presenting another possible kit for others like me.

qroger
Mon 19 July 2010, 19:13
This appears to be far outside of the old school, but maybe it is the new school. It seems there was some controversy previously over the generation of a parts list.

Where angels fear to tread.

MetalHead
Mon 19 July 2010, 21:19
Well first and foremost this will not be a turn key type item. I do agree that having to dredge around to figure things out is what makes this site what it is. A great resource.

I like the idea around the wire and that is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I do not want to have turn key solutions. Just some sources to help kick off builds like the Laser Cut Parts kits do.

I will say again. This forum is the instruction manual for the MechMate and the folks that contribute and support it are what makes it alll work like it does.

I also agree I do not want to get into UL issues. So no finished items for sure at this point and a note that we all must take great care when building an industrial guage machine ... for sure.

Keep the feed back coming. Seems to be a good topic !!!

gooberdog
Tue 20 July 2010, 06:57
Another item (like wire) that would benefit from the distributor model would be the 3m tape for mounting the racks. Most of the places I have found sell by the case and I need a roll. I don't know if cable chain would be worthwhile except it would be convenient.

Mountaincraft
Tue 20 July 2010, 08:02
I would ask that once you put such a kit together, please leave the option to buy some of it piecemeal. Especially the more expensive parts (ie Power supply, drivers, motors)....

I have had to take a drastic lifestyle change due to the economy and where I live having largely destroyed my industry.. Hence the reason I have decided to quit dreaming about doing this, and actually start moving in that direction.. This build will take me two to three years, mostly due to having to scrounge up the funds to pay for it as I go..

That and it might take me that long just to clean out the workshop to make room for it...:)

The more likely I am able to break purchases up into bite sized chunks, the more likely I am to buy from that source... And nothing would make me happier to create profit for the owner of this site in return for supplying the resource he does.. as long as the mark up wasn't 'too' over the top....

For me, it would be useful to even buy the laser kit in two or three bits, but at least it's not 'too' out of reach the way it is... Just means I save a little harder for a few months... Anyone interested in purchasing a hardly used one of a kind belly button lint collection?:D

Mojo
Sat 21 August 2010, 14:33
I would be very interested in any electrical kits myself as most times my research time is limited. I admit excitement to get started over comes good sense sometimes.

cleyte
Sat 21 August 2010, 15:18
I agree that the greatest benefits of this forum comes from reading through the contributions of its members. There is no better education and incentive than watching another machine take shape by a builder's own hands.

However, some of the more "hard to find" parts could be made available to lessen the store hunting. In my case, shopping took as much time as reading the manual - the forum. Suppliers in my area are few and expensive. For example, I priced the machined parts at a local machine shop and it was cheaper for me, with shipping in, to get them from Mike (metalhead). Some stores do not ship outside the US (McMaster) and some items are next to impossible to find elsewhere. Adding these to the list of available parts at CVSupply would be a great time saver. Items such as v-wheels, gas shocks, springs, teflon washers and the car stopper blocks (the ones with the adjustable bolt) are a few suggestions that come to mind.

Having these items readily available to builders will not lessen the demand to read and learn.

Clayton

MetalHead
Sat 21 August 2010, 21:07
I am working on these types of things for the very reasons you have mentioned. I want to keep the spirit of the build, but provide some of the harder to get items. As I move forward you will see more and more stuff showing up in the store.

Red_boards
Tue 24 August 2010, 03:54
Mike,
I think it's a good idea. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out specs for parts (amps, voltages, etc). Once I had those it was "easy" to source the parts. A single source of matched parts will be a great help to builders like myself.
There will always be people who want to "tune" their machines. Even if they have a "standard" kit they will be able to adjust voltages and wiring to up their torque or speed.

qroger
Tue 24 August 2010, 09:37
I haven't figured out why Gerald started this thing in the first place, so, being Old, I come down on the side of the less tinkering the better.

Metalhead certainly will put his own stamp on the community, and (speaking of stamping), the lasered and bent parts kit has to be seen as an unqualified positive thing.

The Car-Kit guys like http://www.bruntonauto.com/ supply staged bit by bit kits, up to a complete kit, and possibly complete cars. That is one model. Ron Champion published a book, Build Your Own Sports Car for as Little as £250 and Race It!, that was the start of a huge on-line Lotus 7 like car community, and the completely opposite business model.

Just so it doesn't wind up like street beasts, a good idea gone bad. http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Streetbeasts_fraud_controversy

midmod
Tue 24 August 2010, 10:57
i like the idea of an electronics kits because it would be nice to be able to source the right parts through 1 transaction or one source and feel like i had gotten the right parts. The electronics portion of this build is my weak link in this build. I have the ability to figure out the electronics portion, but by the time i figure out what I need, source it, and make a transaction, I am exhausted and usually don't complete the transaction. I definitely don't want an assembled control box. This project is for us to figure out, and do the math, measuring and fabrication so that we know this machine. I think a source list for parts and part numbers and a suggested price for the part would go along way towards helping people complete there machines. I just hate to walk into my local electronics supply with a dumb look on my face and walk out paying 3 times the price for a part that could be ordered and know that its the right part. It can just take alot of research to get this to work and i find that i end up copying someone elses build so that i end up with all compatible parts that work together. How hard would it be to put together a source list? even if we had to buy too much, at least we know we are buying the right stuff

wjaggars
Tue 24 August 2010, 16:41
I like the idea, my customers have asked me to do the same for the products I sell, therefore I need to step up production and build a quality cnc router.

Mountaincraft
Wed 25 August 2010, 08:30
All I have been pulling together more and more pieces to make building the MechMate easier for us.

1. Case 20x20x8 (or 20x20x10)
2. Power Supply
3. PMDX

What is PMDX?

Mark

MetalHead
Wed 25 August 2010, 08:34
Also know as the BOB or Break Out Board. PMDX-122 is the one we see used most often in the MM builds.

Mountaincraft
Wed 25 August 2010, 09:07
Which brings up another question I've been wondering.. What is the breakout board and it's purpose?

Thanks,
Mark

MetalHead
Wed 25 August 2010, 09:14
Ah - for that Grass Hopper you must study - the answers are within.

domino11
Wed 25 August 2010, 10:47
PMDX parallel port break out card for the MechMate (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346) :)

qroger
Wed 25 August 2010, 13:56
And then there is the mystical Gecko G540 that has it's own BOB.
http://www.geckodrive.com/product.aspx?i=14469

Mojo
Fri 10 September 2010, 10:05
Mike, Let me know if you are ready to do one of these kits by November I will purchase from you then if thats the case thanks for your time.

MetalHead
Sun 12 September 2010, 08:11
Sending you a PM

rcboats1
Wed 03 November 2010, 01:36
Mike, have you decided if you are doing the kits? I am ready to pull the trigger on my build.

MetalHead
Thu 04 November 2010, 08:30
Yes I am still doing this. Here is a layout for the control box. This is the first offering at the moment. I will have the rest of the items in a few days. Again this will save you time sourcing things and on the basic components of the control box I feel it will save you some money also by keeping you from having to by lots or getting the wrong size box.

The Basic Control Box Kit (BC01) will have the following items

1 - 20x20x10 NEMA 4/12 Control Box
1 - Backing Plate for the Control Box
2 - 20 Inch DIN Rails
5 - 1 Inch DIN Rail Stand offs
5 - Black DIN Rail Terminal
5 - Red DIN Rail Terminal
10 - White DIN Rail Terminal
10 - Green DIN Rail Terminal
5 - Orange DIN Rail Terminal
5 - Yellow DIN Rail Terminal
5 - Blue DIN Rail Terminal
2 - Jumper Bars (For use in power and common for the motor drive's)
1 - 22Amp Contactor (For 220v) (I can change if you need 115v)
1 - On/Off Push Button Switch
2 - Contactor Blocks for On/Off Switch
1 - 130v AC Light Block for On/Off Switch
1 - Light Bulb for AC Block (This is the kind of little stuff that drives you mad!)
1 - Rotary Disconnect
1 - Rotary Disconnect Handle
1 - Rotary Disconnect Shaft

You get all of this for $390.12 plus freight. (Freight will be $70.00 in most cases, but I will try to get the best shipping possible)

I will add the BOB and Motor Diver Combos that you want so you can buy at the same time, or you can source those yourself.

The layout in the picture is only reference and it is designed for a left to right swing for the door and the motor drivers mount to the back plate. This box has enough size to do this. You can layout anyway you like, this is only a suggestion. The drawing is to scale so I know the items will layout like this with plenty of room to spare.

I did not add cable grommets because everyone does this a little different. But I will be getting some compression type grommets that will be $2.00 each. These seal the wires coming out of the control box if you are not using the plugs on the edge of your control box.

If anyone has corrections to this please let me know.

More to come ........

gooberdog
Thu 04 November 2010, 08:44
Looks great Mike,
Any chance on you becoming the no hassle shielded flexible wire distributor I am looking for?
Chuck

MetalHead
Thu 04 November 2010, 10:58
I am looking into that also. I want to source it here in the Metro and cut it up as needed by the foot for everyone.

For 4-Gecko 203v and 1-PMDX 122 the price will be $674.00. This includes a riser cable for the PMDX board. Part Number will be GB01.

So This step will be

$370.12 - BC01
$674.00 - GB01

Total $1044.12 plus frieght (About 70.00)

I will now price up the power supply and motor Combos.

At any point if you guys want to start ordering these, I am ready to take orders and can send you an invoice.

You can buy any combination of the kits. BC01 or GB01 or both BC01 and GB01.

PM me if you are interested.

Does anyone need any Geared motors? OM7.2's I have 4 used ones I will sell.

nadjib
Mon 08 November 2010, 10:36
[QUOTE = Metalhead; 46839] Je suis en train aussi. Je veux ici source dans le métro et la couper au besoin par le pied pour tout le monde.

Pour 4-Gecko 203v et le 1-122 PMDX le prix sera 674,00 $. Cela inclut un câble riser pour le conseil PMDX. Numéro de la pièce sera GB01.

Donc, cette étape sera

370,12 $ - BC01
674,00 $ - GB01

Total frieght 1044,12 $ plus (A propos de 70,00)

Je vais maintenant des prix jusqu'à l'alimentation et Combos moteur.

À tout moment si vous voulez les gars pour commencer à commander ceux-ci, je suis prêt à prendre les commandes et peut vous envoyer une facture.

Vous pouvez acheter n'importe quelle combinaison de ces kits. BC01 ou GB01 ou les deux BC01 et GB01.

PM moi si vous êtes intéressé.

T-on besoin d'une Motoréducteurs? s OM7.2 «J'ai 4 celles utilisées je vais vendre. [/ QUOTE]

Stepinwolf
Thu 11 November 2010, 03:23
Mike, when ever the above kit is ready to ship, my credit card is ready to be violated once again. I presently have the P/S, Gecko's, Orientialls, and the BOB, but nothing else. If you need details on my purchases for your kit, please e-me.

" Nothing else " is actually all I know about purchasing the balance of the correct parts to build the control box. It's presently 3:00 Am, and I am so excited about your offer for the BC01 kit, that I have not been able to sleep a wink, so I got out of bed to send you this e-mail. I would also like you to ad the correct proxy sensor, and spindle control relay.

With no knowledge what so ever about the electronics for the MM, I mistakenly though that the local electronics retailer might be of help. Well guess what, the very first time I entered the store to inquire about a contactor, none of the employes knew what a contactor was. So much for the local help.

I have purchased from you before, so please e-me when you are ready to take my order.

regards
Bob

MetalHead
Thu 11 November 2010, 13:16
PM Sent

Mojo
Fri 12 November 2010, 07:08
I will be ready to buy very shortly and i am still interested in those motors waiting for a pay check and a car to sell. Please send me an invoice for BC01 for Bisbee Arizona 85601 I am ready to purchase that part of the kit now

rcboats1
Tue 16 November 2010, 18:01
I will now price up the power supply and motor Combos.

Hi Mike,

Any luck with pricing on power supplies and motors yet? I'm going to spend the money either way, I might as well support you if I can get what I need.

MetalHead
Tue 16 November 2010, 20:55
I sent you a PM .

MetalHead
Wed 01 December 2010, 09:56
Ok everyone. I need to get some feedback on cables. I am about to order rolls of the F-CY-JZ in

20 Gauge

2 Core - Pricing now
4 Core - Price will be .88 per foot
8 Core - Price will be 1.32 per foot

I know from research we should be fine with the 20 guage wire.

What you will get will be a total length of your desired wire core count. NO CUT CHARGE.

Shipping will be about $25.00 for what ever amount you order.

I just want to find out who is interested in cable so I can get this piece moving.

Stepinwolf
Wed 01 December 2010, 10:01
Mike,

Count me in for the total quantity that will be needed ( 4' x 12' table ) for my build. As for the exact amount, when the time comes, I will need your help in trying toi figure it out.

Robert

bradm
Wed 01 December 2010, 10:25
Quick rough sketch of wire length required:

GL = Gantry Length; TL = Table Length; DCB = Distance to Control Box; WL = Working Length for strain relief, stripping, connections.

From Y-Car, or Gantry Far: GL + TL + DCB + WL + WL
From Gantry Near: TL + DCB + WL + WL
From Y-Car to Gantry Far: GL + WL + WL

For a 60" x 120" (4'x8' working area) table with 24" (2') allowances for connections and a wall mounted box needing 72" (6') to reach:

(3) 4-core for motors at 5'+10'+6'+2'+2' = 25' * 3 = 75'
(1) 4-core for motor at 10' + 6' + 2' + 2' = 20'
(1 ea) 8-core for low voltage sensors and controls, 2-core estop at 5' + 2' + 2' = 9'
(1 ea) 8-core for low voltage sensors and controls, 2-core estop at 10' + 6' + 2' + 2' = 20'

So 95' of 4 core, and 29' each of 8 core and 2 core. For the 4' x 12', 111' of 4 core, 34' each of 8 core and 2 core.

Don't forget the 25' (or 29') of spindle or router feed (for a router, that's a standard extension cord).

gooberdog
Wed 01 December 2010, 11:47
Mike,
Count me in for
120 ft 4 core
50 ft 2 core
50ft 8 core
And thanks

MetalHead
Sun 09 January 2011, 08:17
I got a PM recommending that I add the option for the remotes to the list of items I have available. So here is what I have. This set will be called RB01 and will be two sets like the ones pictured for $135.00 delivered in the lower 48 States.

RB01 Contains the following items.

2 - Pushbutton Enclosure, 3 hole, Extinguishing Thermoplastic
2 - Legend Plate, RED, Emergency Stop
2 - Legend Plate, Black, Start
2 - Legend Plate, Red, Stop
2 - Flush Operator, Yellow (For soft stop using BOB E-stop)(Really a PAUSE Button)
2 - Flush Operator, Green
2 - Emergency Stop pushbutton Non-metallic, Twist-to-release, Red, (Wired to Contactor in control box to shut down power to system)
2 - Single Contact Block, 1 N.O.
4 - Single Contact Block, 1 N.C.

MetalHead
Tue 15 February 2011, 18:03
If your looking for Electic Parts, review this thread and shoot me a PM. I have Motors, PS , Basic Electric Kits, Remotes, PMDX and Driver boards.

The BC01,GB01,RB01 is $1249.12 delivered in the lower 48 states.

MC01 - 4-640 oz Motors and 1 Matched power supply $595.00 delivered in the lower 48 states.

I also have a PMDX-122 and 4 Gecko 202 drivers I will sell for $475.00 delivered in the lower 48 states.

I also have at least 4 OM7.2 Motors that I will sell for $850.00

I have have a lot of stuff in stock, Including laser cut and bent parts.

Don_Kellogg
Fri 18 February 2011, 05:23
Mike,

Any plans to carry the standard IGUS cable carrier. I've reviewed several threads but so far have not found part # for what everyone is using. The other thing I have not found a source for is the gas shock, but that's not electrical.

smreish
Fri 18 February 2011, 06:34
McMaster Carr is a good source for both

Reid Supply also has the igus carrier or igus.com will sell you it from the online store.

Sean

Mrayhursh
Mon 23 July 2012, 18:51
Mike
Is this cable still available, or is there a newer better product available? What connectors are being used to connect the stepper motors back to the control box?

MetalHead
Mon 23 July 2012, 19:25
I have plenty in stock. This is good motion wire. Most have opted to omit connectors and wire from the motors all the way into the box through grommets to terminal blocks. Fewer fail points. The BC01 kit I also have in stock has a lot of the basics needed including a 20x20x10 NEMA 4/12 box.

Mrayhursh
Mon 23 July 2012, 20:17
Mike, I have already purchased the BC01 kit and 4 640oz NEMA 34 motors and 1 matched power supply from CV Supply great people to do business with. Talk to Mike (ha! ha!). What is the cost per foot of the 8 wire cable. How much is generally needed? Any other cable needed.

MetalHead
Mon 23 July 2012, 21:08
Ha !!! Guess I should check my records before responding :) !!! Wire is a kit. 82 feet of 8 core and 164 feet of 4 core. I just got two spools and need to check and make sure the price per sqft foot is going to hold as before. I'll PM you with an update tomorrow.

jask
Mon 23 July 2012, 23:02
per SQ/FT !!!? that is a lot of wire....:)

MetalHead
Tue 24 July 2012, 05:24
Oops that would be a lot of wire !!! Thx !

Mojo
Fri 08 March 2013, 14:21
Metal please send me a invoice for the gb01 please

Mrayhursh
Thu 06 June 2013, 12:05
Are you sending this to the correct person

Tom Ayres
Fri 07 June 2013, 13:23
Mike, please contact me about a wire order, thanks.

Mrayhursh
Fri 07 June 2013, 13:52
are you looking for metalhead not hursh

Tom Ayres
Fri 07 June 2013, 15:41
I'm sorry for the confusion Hurshy, I am talking to Metalhead Mike.:)

ChuckS
Wed 08 October 2014, 17:05
Are there any updates to the offerings? All things (close to) equal, I'd rather support Mike, and maybe save myself some shopping headache.

MetalHead
Thu 09 October 2014, 05:18
This kit is still basically the same. A few changes have been made, but not many. My kits do save you a good bit of time for sure.

I have aditional parts as well and I can PM you a list.

hevertg
Thu 09 October 2014, 18:53
hello, buy some things mike and recommend