PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to build a CNC router

dkrueger
Thu 04 March 2010, 08:43
I new a this idea, but not new at using cnc machines. I used to work in a machine shop using various cnc machine. I have been thing about getting a cnc for woodworking, making signs. i'm looking for about a 2x4 to 2x8 foot cutting area. Not sure on what kind of cost it takes to build one and how hard it would be. any info would be great.

lumberjack_jeff
Thu 04 March 2010, 08:47
Up to 4x4 size, consider a Joe's machine.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346

If you want 4x8 or larger, the MechMate is the best choice.

KenC
Thu 04 March 2010, 18:55
Not sure on what kind of cost it takes to build one and how hard it would be. any info would be great.

Do a lot of reading here + quotations around & you will have a ball park cost figure.

Everyone has a different skill level. Build one & you will how how hard/easy it would be.

hope this helps

MetalHead
Fri 05 March 2010, 05:12
Doug - Welcome and read around on the forum that stuff is detailed well here. The size you are looking at tells me a standard build machine would work fine for you making signs. Many here do just that with their MM.

Again - Welcome Aboard !!!

Johannescnc
Fri 05 March 2010, 06:41
I would only build smaller if work space limits the size. The difference in cost and work would not be much of a factor otherwise. I would not want to handle material more than necessary. IE, cut on table saw and move to router... :( (needs an overworked smiley here...)

MetalHead
Fri 05 March 2010, 08:38
I agree. One good thing with the standard table is you can use it to size your boards wiht an end cutter and then use the ball nose and v bits to carve the sign.