PDA

View Full Version : Other Hobbies/Toys

jehayes
Sun 24 January 2010, 15:51
I thought you all might like to see the used Yngling I found on Craig's List this week. Basically in excellent condition with the original trailer. The floor needs to be replaced but, otherwise it is in excellent shape for a 30 year old boat.

sailfl
Sun 24 January 2010, 16:14
Joe,

Now you are talking. Nice boat. Bit on the chilly side for a trip to sea. The prices of boat have dropped so you must have gotten it for an excellent price.

Good wind, good sailing.

KenC
Sun 24 January 2010, 20:23
Sailing is so romantic in my opinion, the idea of man harnesting nature's power to make great distance, living off nature... Unfortunately, facilities in this part of the world is limited...

lumberjack_jeff
Sun 24 January 2010, 21:24
Sweet. The only challenge with trailered keelboats around here is getting them launched. Looks like the trailer has a sliding tongue... so that will help.

sailfl
Mon 25 January 2010, 03:07
In most places in FL, you would have to have the boat lifted in / out. Also too much shifting sand to have a deep keel boat. But it sure is a nice boat.

jehayes
Mon 25 January 2010, 09:43
Jeff/Nils: We have a very nice little lift at the marina in Oak Harbor. My plan is to dry sail the boat in the summer and bring it home to live next the the MM during the winter. Cheap, simple and, most important, low maintenance.

domino11
Mon 25 January 2010, 09:57
Hey Joe, Forgive me but what is dry sailing, for the landlubbers. :)

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 25 January 2010, 10:59
Hi Joe, load up a few American MM 'ters and come for a visit to South Africa:)

jehayes
Mon 25 January 2010, 21:34
Heath: Dry sailing just means you keep the boat on the trailer at the marina and have the lift put it into the water when you want to sail and then put it back on the trailer at the end of the day. You don't leave it in the water at the dock when not using the boat.

Kobus: If I could find the right boat and the right MM's there is nothing better I would like to do:D. When South Africa wins the Americas Cup, will you put me up when I visit Cape Town for the races?:)

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 25 January 2010, 21:47
No Problemo...I can make a plan in Johannesburg area...but you will have to Dry Sail the boat up here as we are VERY far from the sea.:p

Gerald D
Mon 25 January 2010, 23:24
Even though Johannesburg is way inland, it has more boats than the whole South African coastline combined. Generally, our coastline is a bit nasty for small boats, with a lot of rough weather/seas and few natural safe anchorages.

Kobus_Joubert
Tue 26 January 2010, 00:09
He can always sail from pothole to pothole

hennie
Tue 26 January 2010, 01:47
And with the way it is raining in JHB you might just be lucky to sail it right up to his front door

lumberjack_jeff
Tue 26 January 2010, 08:39
We have no shortage of rain here. "Dry Sailing" can be a bit of a misnomer. :)

jehayes
Tue 26 January 2010, 09:45
Never rains on Whidbey!!!:D We're in the banana belt!