PDA

View Full Version : 57 legs turned Can do orders for others

sailfl
Wed 13 January 2010, 10:22
If you are in the USA and you have an index that will handle 4' material, I need 57 legs turned in a fast turn around.

Send me an email with a phone number so we can talk.

Thanks
Nils

Gerald D
Wed 13 January 2010, 11:05
Do you really need an indexer, or would a (duplicator or CNC) lathe do?

sailfl
Wed 13 January 2010, 11:15
Either but it needs to be able to handle 3.5" thick by 3' 5". Has to be in USA because of time constraints.

Gerald D
Wed 13 January 2010, 11:27
So you need companies similar to http://www.europeanwoodturning.com/index.htm ?

sailfl
Wed 13 January 2010, 13:42
Gerald,

Thanks for the info. I learned that the guys needs the 57 legs in a week. He had a bid from a company in Miami but they could not do it in a week. I have found a guy in Oklahoma that can do it in the time frame and at an excellent price but it will take 2-3 days for delivery. I tried finding some one in the Orlando area but no luck.

So forget the request.

Might pay me to add an indexer soon.

sailfl
Fri 22 January 2010, 16:16
The legs arrived today.

Thought I would post a picture.

swatkins
Fri 22 January 2010, 19:05
Nice looking legs :)

Why was it such a rush job and if I needed 57 legs in a week about what would I have to pay?

javeria
Fri 22 January 2010, 20:03
nils were these done on a cnc lathe?

Gerald D
Fri 22 January 2010, 23:56
Well done to get the job done on time! Our son has learnt the secret to running a successful business with his CNC machines . . . . .have a "can do" attitude and deliver as promised. Build a reputation for getting the job done under pressure.

sailfl
Sat 23 January 2010, 00:35
Steve, The job was a rush because the previous vendor did not keep his promise and my client's client had a schedule that needed to be kept. The legs were done for less than $100 a piece.

Irfan, No, they were done on a copy lathe and the last 1/16" done by hand.

Gerald, I agree. My client had a bid from a company in Miami for the same price on the legs but he wanted a $500 setup fee and 10 days to deliver the legs. I charged the same price with out a setup fee and shipped in 4 days with 3 days in shipping. UPS did not keep their promised delivery date but that was not my fault. The client is happy.

The first ship date I gave him was for 57 legs but it would have taken a week to complete all the legs not including shipping time which was 3 days. I suggested that we do the 39 legs like you see in the picture with a shorter manufacturing time. My client turned the other legs. I got the job.

I think the secret for any business is to have a "can do" attitude, deliver as promise at a reasonable price and be creative in meeting the clients needs.

KenC
Sat 23 January 2010, 00:45
Well done to get the job done on time! Our son has learnt the secret to running a successful business with his CNC machines . . . . .have a "can do" attitude and deliver as promised. Build a reputation for getting the job done under pressure.

That works for everything in life too.

Gerald D
Sat 23 January 2010, 03:02
And the point is that your equipment (the MM for example) has nearly nothing to do with that. Nils has a happy customer and he did not even use his MM. :)

Johannescnc
Sat 23 January 2010, 13:51
Nice looking work. Are they poplar?

sailfl
Sat 23 January 2010, 17:00
John,

They are Maple.

smreish
Mon 25 January 2010, 21:02
Nils.
That's beautiful. Glad to see your making hay while the sun shines. All my best!

sailfl
Wed 03 February 2010, 16:01
If you need turned legs and do not have an indexer or lathe, give me an opportunity to help you. Turn around is quick and the prices are reasonable.

Send a cad drawing or a hand drawing with dimension, type wood and when you need them and I will get back with prices. Shipping in USA

sailfl
Tue 13 April 2010, 19:39
Latest set of turnings I supplied to a client.

If you need turnings, give me an opportunity to bid on them.

domino11
Tue 13 April 2010, 19:45
Nils, are those legs done on a CNC indexer?

sailfl
Wed 14 April 2010, 00:45
Turned on a spindle.

Travish
Wed 14 April 2010, 12:44
Beutifull work Nils!

fanefane
Wed 14 April 2010, 14:16
Verry nice ! well done

sailfl
Wed 14 April 2010, 15:14
Just so there is no misunderstanding. These are not made by me but by my sub-contractor. He does excellent work, at an excellent price in a very reasonable time period. He has agreed to allow me to represent him. He has an established business. I found a company that needed turnings done in a short period of time. There is no one in my area that is doing turning on a professional level.

domino11
Sun 09 January 2011, 22:33
Nils, are you still doing the turnings? Post some pics of the latest stuff. :)

sailfl
Mon 10 January 2011, 00:06
Heath,

I am actually not doing the turnings but have a sub contractor that does the work for me. His business is turnings and he very good and has very good prices. I have not had any lately.

Art
Mon 10 January 2011, 10:10
I can do columns up to 18" by 128" on my indexer. See examples at www.turningaround.org . I am located on south edge of Dallas,Texas. Freight costs get pretty steep so shipping may not be an option.
I run a one man shop and do both manual and CNC turning.