PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Axis Lithophanes

Rad Racer
Fri 13 November 2009, 23:30
Taking the lead from Greolt(Greg), I finished my 4th axis and starting carving Lithophanes. I saw what greg did and had too try it for myself.

I used Photovcrave and CNCWrapper just as Greg did with his carvings. The last photo is not focused, but gives you an idea of the detail. It is amazing to see these things with back lighting.

martin77pl
Sat 14 November 2009, 02:42
Wow, beautiful work. What material are you using? Is it white pipe made of plastic.

Rad Racer
Sat 14 November 2009, 07:24
Yes, it is plastic (PVC). PVC pipe is very common here in the US, it's used primarly for plumbing.

Rad Racer
Sat 14 November 2009, 09:38
Here's a YouTube link......it shows the 4th axis in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIk-41dQYzg

javeria
Sat 14 November 2009, 11:03
Wayne - can you tell us more about your mach settings on this one - probably detailed snapshots would help. - and did you set any backlash settings? - what is the reduction you are running

I am planning for a 1:16 reduction using double timing belt setup.

btw - very nice work

RGDS
Irfan

Rad Racer
Sat 14 November 2009, 19:13
Hi Irfan,

The settings for Mach3 are pretty straight forward.....I have a few screen shots that should help.

Be sure to slave your "X" axis on the MechMate to either the "B" axis or the "C" axis. You need to use the "A" axis for the rotory table.

Setup your ports and pins to support the "A" axis. (see ports and pins photo)

Make sure that both your "A" and "B" axis are enabled. This is done on the "Settings" tab. (see axis enable photo)

Setup the "toolpath" to enable Mach3 to display your rotory work. (see toolpath photo)

My rotory axis is built from a Sherline rotory table, I just mount a stepper motor. The Sherline table has a gear ration of 72:1 (5deg/rev.)

Hope this helps,
Wayne

Castone
Sat 14 November 2009, 20:55
That looks nice, might have to try that.

Rad Racer
Sat 14 November 2009, 21:28
Thanks, glad you like them.

I made some more today, they will be the table center pieces at our end of the year banquet.

The details with backlighting is amazing....take a look at lithophane of the guy holding the plane(me :D)

Greolt
Sun 15 November 2009, 00:08
They look great Wayne. The detail certainly comes through.

What sort of tool and stepover are you using?

And what is the range of thickness of material left?

Greg

Claudiu
Sun 15 November 2009, 02:59
Wayne,

these look absolutely awesome.
I`m impressed of the details which are possible with this technique, especially the guy holding a plane!
These are the things which push me more going back to work...

How thick is the PVC tube (wall thickness )? I see you have machined it in some places up to 2,5 mm - 3 mm ? Is that corect?

Great work.

Rad Racer
Sun 15 November 2009, 07:29
Greolt,

For the rough cut I am using a Onsrud 1/8" tapered ballnose (77-104). The rough cut is up to .180" deep (in areas with very light features), with a 50% stepover @ 50ipm.

The finish cut is with a 1/16", 2 flute, ballnose cutter. The finish path takes an additional .02" material. The stepover is 15% @ 40ipm.

The total cut depth of both passes is .200", the PVC is ~.240 thick....so the lightest areas have a material thickness of about .04".

The cut time is about 2hrs......15min. for the roughing and 1hr 45min for the finish cut.

Wayne

Rad Racer
Sun 15 November 2009, 07:38
Claus,

I appreciate the kind comments, thanks. The PVC is ~.240" thick (~6mm), some areas are as thin as .04" or about 1mm.

The MechMate is a great design! For me, these fine details sure highlight this machines capablility to hold tight tolerences.

Wayne

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 15 November 2009, 09:58
I like I like.. Well done and keep them comming, I like to see this kind of stuff.

jehayes
Sun 15 November 2009, 11:04
Wayne, thanks for sharing these, they are an inspiration to those of us who are following along in your footsteps.

JohanG
Sat 08 May 2010, 12:39
Stunning work Wayne, well done!!
Keep Posting more!!!

Rad Racer
Mon 10 May 2010, 21:13
Thanks Johan, glad you like to Lithophanes.