PDA

View Full Version : Z-axis design

Dick van Randen
Sun 03 September 2006, 02:43
On the Mechmate a single large slide was used for the Z-axis. I doubt that I will be ever to afford a slide that large. Is there a cheaper way to make a Z-axis using slides that only requires lubing and cleaning?

Can you get away with two smaller slides and 4 cars?

I'm thinking two rails 25 mm wide and cars 125w x 150L as a minimum. That is just a WAG . Any ideas appreciated.

Gerald_D
Sun 03 September 2006, 09:00
Dick, I am in a bit of a quandry with the Z axis for the MechMate when I have promised plans for the DIY guy. My way is expensive, but proven. The ShopBot way is also proven. Anything else I suggest will be unproven. I am still scratching my head for an easy solution....

What is a WAG?

ralph hampton
Sun 03 September 2006, 09:30
Look at the lopro and other options on this site:
www.hepcomotion.com (http://www.hepcomotion.com)

Mike Richards
Sun 03 September 2006, 09:45
Dick, Your idea follows the design used on all of the 'big iron' machines that I've looked at. They all have two linear rails per axis with at least two cars per rail. In addition, the rails are spaced as far apart as the mechanics of their design allow.

The Hi-Win blocks, for their 25mm rails, are 48mm x 58mm (standard block). But, since a motor mount would normally be attached to the cars, and the motor attached to the motor mount, smaller cars should not be a problem.

Dick van Randen
Sun 03 September 2006, 13:35
Thanks for the start guys.

I'm willing to go down this road and share the results , I will be back with more questions and ideas.

WAG is SMS for wild ass guess