Mon 08 February 2010, 05:44
Anil,

I reread this thread, and found the pic of your motor
in post 41.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32175&postcount=41

Thanks
Prasad

Thank you all for the appreciation.

Prasad, I used the motor as you saw i pic in post 41, but later changed x motors to smaller ones because I wanted to cut the space on both side of machine due to space problem.

On Z-axis i am still running the bigger (and old) motor with no problem. so you can get the old motors and they will work without problem.

I changed the motors not because of any problem but due to more space they were taking.

aniljangra
Mon 08 February 2010, 09:46
Anil what is the thickness of your mdf? as the thinner your board gets the more difficult it is to get a good cut as there is a lot of flex in the board itself.Try cutting a full sheet of 3mm mdf compared to 16 mm thick.
Yes I was cutting a puzzle for kids from 2.75mm mdf and noticed that bit was garbing the board and it lifted from table while cutting. I guess as suggested somewhere I need to use special (upcut spiral) bit.
By the way this board used for screens is 8mm and there was some lifting in the center where there was no clamps.

Great job. I love seeing your screens. I must say that surfacing your table will dramatically improve your quality of parts produced. When you are able you should definitely make it a priority to do so as you will reap the benefits of it. Keep up the great work and make the "Boss".... happy..James
Sure I wanted to but my die grinder can take only 6mm bits, so waiting for the spindle. I may surface this weekend as I am getting the spindle soon :)

Gerald D
Mon 08 February 2010, 10:32
as suggested somewhere I need to use special (upcut spiral) bit.

The opposite - you want downcut spiral bits to push the board down.

aniljangra
Mon 08 February 2010, 11:27
I see, what I have now are "upcut" and need "downcut" bits.
I thought the terminology is somehow opposite :) Thanks

hennie
Mon 08 February 2010, 21:39
Anil, if you cut thin boards get some of the double sided tape that one uses for packaging it holds your project flat and reduce your cutting speed, it works for me specially when I cut small letters.

aniljangra
Tue 09 February 2010, 09:35
Hennie, I'll try using double tape next time.
I used double tape for PCB but not for mdf as I was concerned about it sticking on cutting bit ! Is that fine bit cutting through tape ?

Jason Marsha
Tue 09 February 2010, 15:06
Anil,
I also use double sided tape to keep my jobs flush with the cutting table. The 1/8"(3.175mm) and the 1/4" (6.35mm) bits have no problems with the tape.
I almost always use upcut bits but if the job lifts off the table then I will be forced to use downcut bits. You will have to reduce your cut speed with the downcut bit as it forces the chips down into the cut area as opposed to upcut bits which eject them upwards.
Sorry for any confusion

Jason

aniljangra
Sun 14 February 2010, 13:20
Jason, Till I get downcut bits I will try double tape as suggested.

Got my spindle and made mounting plates for it.
Label says, GDZ-23, 80x215, 2.2KW
220V 8A, 24000 rpm, 400Hz

Bolting together top and bottom plates for machning.
Bore and attachment side are machined in one operation, and then cleaning other faces and drilling is done.

Mounted on MM and tested with Fuji VFD. Next week's agenda is to finish the cooling system and surfacing the table (finally :) )

aniljangra
Sun 21 February 2010, 10:33
Spindle working without any issues now, there was noise problem but installing common mode filter at VFD output solved the issue.

Claudiu
Mon 22 February 2010, 01:47
Anil, what is the green wire, how is it connected and where does it go?

vishnu
Mon 22 February 2010, 02:23
I think it is for earthing, just a guess.

aniljangra
Mon 22 February 2010, 02:38
Yes, Its ground wire, spindle power wire shield is grounded at both ends.

aniljangra
Wed 24 February 2010, 12:28
First cut with spindle :), Spindle seems to cut through effortlessly compared to my die grinder and a lot quieter as well.
size is approx 15"x20", took 3 hours and spindle was not even warm.

swatkins
Wed 24 February 2010, 13:05
That looks great!

jhiggins7
Wed 24 February 2010, 19:42
Anil,

Again, excellent work.:)

So is your spindle one of the ones referred to as a "Chinese" spindle?
Also, what water pump did you use and what does your heat exchanger look like?

Claudiu
Wed 24 February 2010, 23:10
Nice work, Anil. Are you going to varnish ?

aniljangra
Wed 24 February 2010, 23:56
Thanks you all for looking in :)
Claus, I have no clue what can be done for finishing as I am new to the world of wood/MDF etc etc, need to look around a bit.

John, yes its a "Chinese" spindle, connected to small submersible pump similar to fish tank pump. There is no radiator or heat exchanger, water just recirculates from a bucket, will post a pic if you want, but nothing fancy.

Thinking of adding a float switch, just in case pump stops in unattended usage.

jhiggins7
Thu 25 February 2010, 07:15
Thanks, Anil.

Yeah, I figured the "heat exchanger" was something like a bucket of water and that the pump was something like a submersible fish tank pump. I've noted that some people have used a pump with "stronger" specifications than the every-day variety of fish tank pump and I was wondering what you were doing regarding the pump.

As for finishing your relief carving, I like the MinWax (http://www.minwax.com/products/wood_stains/) stain products. One of the biggest problems in staining, is to get even coverage (no blotching). Also, depending on the wood species and stain product, you may have problems with grain raising.

digger
Thu 25 February 2010, 11:50
Also, depending on the wood species and stain product, you may have problems with grain raising.

Somebody mentioned that before you do final cut, spray surface with mist of water and then do final cut. Spraying will raise grain, and you will cut it in your final cut.

normand blais
Fri 26 February 2010, 05:52
Good work Anil .I think you should put some shellac or varnish on your carving before staining so the wood wont absorb all the stain at once .Then you could whipe the excess on the high part of the sculpture and the stain will remain in the crack and low spot .

aniljangra
Sun 28 February 2010, 10:48
Some 3d cuts for this weekend, before anyone ask http://cnc3dart.narod.ru/free.html is where I got the files, I think this link is mentioned somewhere in the forum already :)

Total 7 Hours with 4mm ball nose in 25mm thick mdf with no roughing pass.

Still not sure about staining/finishing as these are cut just for fun and not to be used anywhere!!

javeria
Sun 28 February 2010, 11:23
beautiful - you are having fun with MM!

aniljangra
Mon 01 March 2010, 03:51
Sure Irfan, Its fun :)

Good work Anil .I think you should put some shellac or varnish on your carving before staining so the wood wont absorb all the stain at once .Then you could whipe the excess on the high part of the sculpture and the stain will remain in the crack and low spot .

Normand, tried as you suggested but stainer seems to dry very quickly, I think there is something I am missing, may be not using the correct type of stainer.

I used sealer (as its called locally) and mixed some color powder to it. Last step I coated with a layer of PU clear-coat to give it shine.

normand blais
Mon 01 March 2010, 06:58
Hi Anil It look better ,try again with the dark stain .Apply a generous coat and whipe out the excess on the high spots ,it will leave reveal the detail with more contrast. Sinse it is already varnish the stain wont soak in where you dont want. Let dry and repeat until you are satisfied . Depending on the stain you use you might have to varnish again so it does not come off. I see some vertical lines are they from the design or glue up plank or missing step?

aniljangra
Mon 01 March 2010, 08:47
Sure, It is going to take few tries :)

Those vertical lines are from applying clamps while machining was on the way :(, the material left after 3d machining was very little (may be 1 mm) and the as the cut progressed it started to wrap and lift up, I tried to correct it by applying additional clamps, not thinking of that these will leave marks on the end product :o

aniljangra
Wed 03 March 2010, 09:58
More fun :)

Next logical step is to do something about dust, so planning to use my vac. For sure this weekend project !

dsingh82
Fri 05 March 2010, 03:11
hi anil
congrats for ur build, sorry i followed late.

aniljangra
Fri 05 March 2010, 09:38
Thank you Singh, By the way whats you plan about building MM ? you started it yet or not ? If yes then I am waiting to see some shots of your build :)

aniljangra
Fri 05 March 2010, 14:30
Oops, I said next is dust foot :D but kids wanted something to play !!

sailfl
Fri 05 March 2010, 14:52
Anil,

Very nice horse.

aniljangra
Sun 07 March 2010, 09:44
Thanks Nils :)

Moving to MM, could not complete dust foot today but flexible pipe and dust separator installed and it works great :)

I was amazed to see no dust in vac bag at all, all the dust collected in bucket ! so I just removed the filters from vac. I guess it will reduce the load on vac motor and I could be able to run the vac a bit longer.

Output from vac also routed to outside of room so even if there is a bit of dust it directly goes outside.

javeria
Sun 07 March 2010, 09:48
thats too good

padmanaabha
Sun 07 March 2010, 19:01
Anil,
This is the height of using MM, Making lid for the Bucket????? with a separator???? ;) All the creations are good. Be a machine designer. Do not become an end user. You will kill other competitors. :p . :D. Great Going Keep It Up. All the best for your next machine.

aniljangra
Mon 08 March 2010, 08:43
There is nothing wrong with making lid with MM because that what MM is intended to do, cutting curves :) !!

There is not going to be NEXT machine as I have no space left for that, but for sure next thing is to do a rotary axis for MM and then convert my small metal lathe to CNC :)

padmanaabha
Tue 09 March 2010, 22:19
Great thinking. :) Eager to see rotary axis on MM. I have seen one in the Wood India 2010 exhibition which concluded on Monday. All the best. This is what I meant by Machine designer. Just Keep Advancing. ;)

jit
Wed 10 March 2010, 03:44
hello anil ji.
where can we get gecko drives in india.
jit

aniljangra
Wed 10 March 2010, 10:01
Hi Jit,
I don't think you can get Geckos in India, you need to import like others or like me you can go DIY route now and may be later get Gecko if you feel so :)
I am happy with my drives and don't feel need Geckos for now. If you feel I can be of any help, you can call me (965 444 3210)

MetalHead
Wed 10 March 2010, 10:38
Can't you get Motion King in India?

Mike

aniljangra
Wed 10 March 2010, 10:53
Mike, I don't know for sure but while talking to someone I was told that even if its available the price is going to be far more compared to getting it directly from MK even after factoring in the shipping/customs etc.

May be Irfan or other member from India using MK can tell better, I am going to ask him.

jit
Sat 13 March 2010, 03:22
anil ji
what is the acurracy of your driver and how much it cost you in rs/- ,plz if u feel free can brief about the costing of full project of yours beautiful mechmate.(stepper+driver+bob+ps+fabrication+ software)

jit

jit
Sat 20 March 2010, 22:37
sir,
plz share the further developments of your mm and some of the beautiful cuts

aniljangra
Wed 31 March 2010, 06:34
Thanks Jit, PM'ed you.

As the MM seems functional now, I am trying to learn more about stepper and servo drives in order to make driver using descrete components that's not limited by 3A limit of LMD devices used in current drives.

aniljangra
Tue 22 June 2010, 04:07
Polished and installed the divider screen, This is my first attempt in staining and polishing so nothing creative..

vishnu
Wed 23 June 2010, 07:33
Thats cool. Keep going.

KenC
Wed 23 June 2010, 10:03
Lovely!

javeria
Wed 23 June 2010, 21:55
Black and blue!

daniel1557
Thu 24 June 2010, 10:38
Great Anil, Looks beautiful. good detailing.

aniljangra
Sun 03 July 2011, 10:53
Hello everyone, been busy and not able to follow, seems like there have been many numbers after me. Trying to catch up ...

Gerald D
Tue 05 March 2013, 08:27
Hi Anil, I think I was near your place over the weekend. I was in Gurgaon for business. How are things going?

aniljangra
Tue 05 March 2013, 08:40
Hi Anil, I think I was near your place over the weekend. I was in Gurgaon for business. How are things going?
That's is about half an hour by car from my place, it would have been nice to personally meet indeed, any chance you are coming again ?

During the course of building MM I got addicted to this stuff, left my job and now trying to set up a small business http://www.tinycontrols.com (http://www.tinycontrols.com/)

Gerald D
Tue 05 March 2013, 10:53
Good luck with your business!

Next time I go abroad I must check beforehand which MechMater is nearby - I might even get something to eat. :)

aniljangra
Tue 05 March 2013, 12:22
Thanks and welcome next time

aniljangra
Mon 22 February 2016, 22:17
Hi Jit,
I don't think you can get Geckos in India, you need to import like others or like me you can go DIY route now and may be later get Gecko if you feel so :)
I am happy with my drives and don't feel need Geckos for now. If you feel I can be of any help, you can call me (965 444 3210)

Just updating my Phone #+91-9911193210