PDA

View Full Version : The surfer has a moving & cutting machine - Durban, South Africa

reidcd
Thu 08 October 2009, 06:13
Hi guys ,

Started to build in Durban two weeks ago . Was a bit apprehensive about making the frame and all the metal work but a friend has opted to help with that . I was also supposed to wait until I had finished my bike (old Ural 650) and a FJ60 Landcruiser that was given to me . My wife doesn’t want me on anymore half finished projects ! So don’t tell her – I’m building it up at work .

I’ve got the power supply , BOB PMDX-122 , geckos #305’s , steppers , rack and Pinions and V-wheels . Connected half the electronics and all the motors are turning . Now I’ve got to get working with Clyde on the metal work . Not very good with metal , more of a wood and foam guy .

Hopefully I’ll get some photos on a the next couple days . I’m sure I’ll be posting a couple of stupid questions in the weeks to come .

Thanks in advance

Chad

jhiggins7
Thu 08 October 2009, 06:47
Chad,

You seem to be well on your way. Happy building!:) Getting the motors turning is a pretty big milestone. Looking forward to your pictures.

domino11
Thu 08 October 2009, 07:02
Welcome Chad!
What is a gecko 305? I could not find reference to it on their site. Just wondering.

reidcd
Thu 08 October 2009, 07:22
sorry Heath they are G 203's . Was typing quicker than I think :)

domino11
Thu 08 October 2009, 08:09
Hey no problem, just thought you had a new prototype or something. :)
I have the same typing/thinking problem. Only thing is I don't type all that fast. :eek:

Gerald D
Thu 08 October 2009, 09:30
A wood & foam guy from Durban . . . surfer? :)

reidcd
Thu 08 October 2009, 23:01
Hi Gerald . Dont know how you get the time to read all the posts :) I'm a surfer who sometimes shapes the odd board for himself or a friend . I actually supply alot of the shapers country wide with foam blanks to shape .

Kobus_Joubert
Fri 09 October 2009, 09:48
Welcome Chad,...when I saw Durban..new build I nearly thought that a friend of mine called Kobus has started. Good luck and maybe in the near future there will be a second Durban MM running

reidcd
Thu 10 December 2009, 23:38
Cant believe its two months since I've last done anything !! Got a fright today when I saw my frame rusting away - curse of living in Durban .

I have one question - Probably a stupid one ! How do I switch the router on and off using the PMDX-122 . Do I set up an outout in Mach3 to switch on relay ?

Gerald D
Fri 11 December 2009, 00:00
Yes, you set up an output in Mach3 that switches the relay sitting on the PMDX-122. In theory, you can use that relay to switch the router, but it isn't going to be easy to replace that relay on the PMDX if it burns. So, we typically use that small relay to switch a bigger relay/contactor somewhere else.

reidcd
Thu 04 February 2010, 07:23
After Ignoring this project for long enough .This week we put all the rusting parts together . The motors are moving all 3 axis perfectly . Forgot I needed a router to cut the wood with so sourced a nice bosch from my workshop . Just waiting for the mounting plate and then we will be cutting !! here are some pics .

Gerald D
Thu 04 February 2010, 09:24
Well done Chad - not bad for a surfer bloke from Durban! ;)

Alan_c
Thu 04 February 2010, 10:08
Good progress Chad.

time to move this thread to "Construction Started, but not cutting yet"

Gerald D
Thu 04 February 2010, 10:28
Shouldn’t you finish the Ural bike first . I have one and my wife won’t let start the Mechmate until its up and running

So, is the bike running? :)

Lex
Thu 04 February 2010, 22:27
Looking good. Well done!

reidcd
Thu 04 February 2010, 23:06
Hi Gerald , Bike was running but not as smooth as I’d like (considering they run rough normally ) . I decided to stop tinkering and do it properly , so I stripped it down completely . Got the frame sandblasted and powder coated . Rebuilt the engine , carbs and replaced the points with an electronic pickup . Started to reassemble it but time is a big issue !! I got the bike in Vietnam when I was working there 7years ago . Don’t think its had a proper service since the 80’s . A lot of the problems are small things , like the wrong nut put on an engine stud !! I’ll send a couple picks this weekend . Attached is what it will look like once complete .

reidcd
Thu 11 February 2010, 22:49
Wednesday we cut the scorpian as a test . See attached pic .

Gerald D
Thu 11 February 2010, 23:42
Well done Chad! (I think that puts you in the lead as far as the rest of KZN is concerned :))

Lex
Thu 11 February 2010, 23:50
Ok...Ok! :)
Well done Chad!

Claudiu
Thu 11 February 2010, 23:54
Great achievement Chad, congrats for your first cuts !:)

KenC
Fri 12 February 2010, 01:06
Clap! Clap! Clap!
WELL DONE!

sailfl
Fri 12 February 2010, 03:21
Chad,

Well done.... you just need the name on the machine.....

Kobus_Joubert
Fri 12 February 2010, 05:32
Well done Chad, just take a drive up NORTH and go wake up Lex...:D

Lex
Fri 12 February 2010, 05:37
Now you have ruined the friendship...:):o

hennie
Fri 12 February 2010, 05:57
Good going Chad .Lex will probably blame the heat.His rails are going to rust from not using them:)

domino11
Mon 15 February 2010, 11:46
Looks good Chad! Lets see some logos!

reidcd
Tue 16 February 2010, 05:50
Still tiding the wiring and installing some switches , then a coat of paint then the logos . I assume they are vinyl cut ?? what font ??

reidcd
Tue 16 February 2010, 05:56
what is a simple CAD package to draw 'constrained curves' . dont know if thats the correct term - A curve that goes through set X and Y points . I have 11 points that I want to draw a curve through .

Lex
Tue 16 February 2010, 06:10
Chad,
You should be able to do that with Autocad using a 'spline' line.

Lex
Tue 16 February 2010, 06:22
Sorry, should have added....if you need help with that line you are welcome to send me the x and y, or even ad the z co-ordinates of each piont and I will draw it for you.

Gerald D
Tue 16 February 2010, 06:37
The spline function in AutoCad is fine, but some manual judgement is needed at the ends of the spline. AutoCad wants to be told the direction of approach to the very end points of the spline. Here are 4 splines drawn through the same points:

Those lines are very much affected by personal choice.

riesvantwisk
Tue 16 February 2010, 06:38
Chad,

I used the MechMate logo design from one of the DXF files and blew them up to 9 and 6cm high.

Ries

Lex
Tue 16 February 2010, 06:49
You are right Gerald. I remember that one can adjust the parameters of the spline line. I am trying to find it in the program at the moment but.. where is it. Not sure if that wil work and give the right line in the end?

reidcd
Tue 16 February 2010, 07:05
Hi Lex , thanks for the offer but I've got to do it myself . Otherwise you will have to do all my designs . I was also looking for a cheap CAD package to do it in . I've been using a demo version of Rino3d but dont want to pay that much for it .

hennie
Tue 16 February 2010, 22:47
Chad try Deltacad cheap and easy

reidcd
Wed 17 February 2010, 00:13
thanks hennie will try it out today .

sprayhead
Wed 17 February 2010, 03:54
Hi reidcd

What do you want to do with the curves that pass through the 11 points that you have? what's that for? stringer? I can give you some help if it is... Using autoCAD works, but not the best option.
francis

thanks hennie will try it out today .

reidcd
Thu 18 February 2010, 01:17
Hi Francis , yes its for stringers . So far the best curves have come from Rhino3d . What option do you suggest ?

sprayhead
Thu 18 February 2010, 05:08
www.boardcad.org

let me know how you go.

What you want to do is... design your board and export the profile as dxf polyline.

Also you can use your 11 points coordinates. Just put the coordinates in the guide points box... and then manually pull the curves through them, it's much better than using autocad or whathaveyou.

francis

shaper
Thu 18 February 2010, 16:58
Chad

As francis says boardcad is pretty good for what your are doing. Only additional comment is that if this is all you want to do then just use the webstart version, the full version with CNC can require a little perseverance to get up and running (it also has a few bugs in the code generation).

Surfcnc
Thu 18 February 2010, 23:45
Chad - A shaping machine, now your talking.

As Jed says boardcad is good for design and free. I personally have had issues generating gcode, probably just me though. I normally design in AKU shaper and get them cut on CNC machines on the Gold Coast in Australia. I am still investigating what path to follow and have dropped the ball while the actual build is underway.

I know there are some tricks of the trade with respect to the shaping applications to gcode. Some of the solutions also take some serious learning time, if you have not already done so you might make some connections on www.swaylocks.com on their forum.

Cheers
Ross

shaper
Fri 19 February 2010, 00:30
Chad

If you actually want to shape with your machine then Boardcad is still an option, particularly if you have a seperate CAM package (say Rhino CAM) there is functionality in the webstart version to export your designs as STL's which will work fine in most CAM packages, this should give you better controll than what I have seen from BoardCAD so far which has a couple of issues in the toolpaths particularly around the rails. But for stringers the export profile to dxf works a treat (I've been experimenting with this for creating frames for a hollow wooden board).

Surfcnc
Fri 19 February 2010, 02:52
Your the man Jed - spreading shaping joy to us wannabe foam mowers. Never thought of passing off the CAM to another application so thanks for giving us both the tip.

Ross

D. van Randen
Fri 19 February 2010, 16:07
@ Chad

Try http://moi3d.com

The developer use to work for McNeel on Rhino

30 day trial and a very reasonable price

D

sprayhead
Sun 21 February 2010, 03:39
Yeah, boardcad is not ready for toolpaths yet. Another year or so it will probably take for it to be reliable. we'll see...

f.

reidcd
Mon 22 February 2010, 05:52
I've used boardcad but have a problem when Importing the dxf into sheetcam . Looses its shape ! reports an error !

I design all my boards in Surfcad . This is the original shaping package that boardcad , shape3d and Akubird have all copied .

shaper
Mon 22 February 2010, 06:26
Chad

Attached is gcode for the stringer of one of my test board designs, open it up and let me know what you think, if it looks like what you are after then perhaps the cnc version of BoardCAD can solve your problem. If this is the case then try setting up the full cnc version of boardcad, if you have issues then pm me and I'll do my best to help. Other way this could be done is by dumping the stl from boardcad and then create a slice in your CAD/CAM package.

Jed

reidcd
Mon 22 February 2010, 06:48
thanks Dickie I'll try that Moi3d . I really like working in Rhino3d so if Moi is similar I'm sure I'll love it .

sprayhead
Mon 22 February 2010, 13:02
forgot to say this... you have to scale the .dxf exports from boardcad. Do a scale command with a factor of 1000, be it in rhino, autocad, cut2d... suppose you will want to nest the stringers.

Surfcad was one of the first programs and it works well, but the control you have over the curves is quite difficult if compared to boardcad.

no worries.

reidcd
Tue 23 February 2010, 04:25
Hi Francis , I scaled up the dxf in Rhino . All looked good . But when I open the DXF in sheetcam the rocker is very angular !

reidcd
Tue 23 February 2010, 04:30
Hi Jed . Opened the Gcode in Mach3 . Was it just the bottom curve you sent ? I've cut a few stringers now using the files I created in Rhino . They are very close . Just need to tweek them in two places by 1/16"

sprayhead
Tue 23 February 2010, 04:40
I have worked with the developers to try and get the .dxf export up to the standard of autodesk. That is quite weird though. Perhaps the version you are using is pre-last update on the .dxf writer. Can you attach the 'problematic' .dxf for me to have a look? I can tell straight away if it is up to date. Then I'll try to open it with cut2d.

cheers,
f.

shaper
Tue 23 February 2010, 05:46
Chad

meant to send full profile but looks like I sent the wrong file. If you have the dxf working this is almost certainly a better way to go so I'd stick with that as it's much more flexible.

Jed

reidcd
Tue 23 February 2010, 06:05
Downloaded Boardcad again and did a profile for a 6'6" . this one worked fine :) I've got both methods working . see attached DXF

sprayhead
Tue 23 February 2010, 12:50
Downloaded Boardcad again and did a profile for a 6'6" . this one worked fine :) I've got both methods working . see attached DXF

nicely done. This .dxf is up to date.

Red_boards
Thu 18 March 2010, 04:25
Edit: Better introduce myself, rather than simply dropping in. I'm a kneeboard designer based in Melbourne Australia (originally from Durban, SA). Been cutting boards on commercial machines for a few years. Avoiding the surf machines after pretty poor results. Now getting a machine together for my "hobby" (as my wife calls it).

About the thread:
Congratulations on getting the machine together and running (and pretty quickly, too, even with the delays).

End Edit

Interesting stuff on the software, since I'm currently debating what software route to go. The industry standard for cutting is Shape3d, but it's a bit costly. I had considered getting the export version of S3d to convert to dxf, whence to CAM software (I've done this in the past and it workd well).

From what you're saying I could save myself a few thousand Euros using a combo of Boardcad and a cam software such as MoI? Are there hidden pitfalls I should be aware of?

reidcd
Tue 23 March 2010, 03:25
Hi Red , you and Gigs must be the only kneeboarders left . I dont use the Mechmate to cut surfboards . I cut stringers with it . I personally dont like shape3d . I love surfcad because I get what I want out of it . Maybe look at the boardcad CNC option . Looks good .