PDA

View Full Version : Indexer Wizards version 2.1 and DEMOs Now Available for WinCNC

Art
Mon 14 July 2008, 06:05
A website has since been created: http://wizardsbyrich.yolasite.com/

For those running an indexer here is a email of Rich, rgoldner@iname.com, who has written 2 wizards so far for the indexer. I have been working with both and they are great. Rich is a retired programer who has been building CNC machine running Mach since Mach's early years. He also helped a friend upgrade his Legacy Ornimental mill to CNC. The perfect background for doing indexer wizards.

One wizard is to do spiral cuts. Designed mainly to do rope/barley twists. It allows to use A, B or C as rotational axis, do CW or CCW twists, select depth of cut, etc. Here is a 14" piece I did.

The other wizard will wrap a file around a cylinder using A, B or C as the rotational wizard. Both work great and he is going to write more.

The other option is http://legacywoodworking.com. They have released the beta version of a spread sheet that will do rounding, fluting and rope/barley twists. Price is $100. Right now it's only advantage over Rich's wizards is that it will do fluting. Hopefull Rich will fix that shortly.

Art
Tue 15 July 2008, 05:33
Rich has done a fluting wizard. It will allow you to ramp into the flute here is a pic of piece with 3/4" flutes 4" long with 1" ramp in.

rgoldner
Tue 15 July 2008, 09:45
I now have three indexer wizards available, spiral, wrap on a cylinder and my latest, flutes. The price is $75 for all three. If I make other indexer wizards available in this package in the future, all previous customers will get the new wizards as well. I can be contacted at rgoldner AT iname DOT com.

All of these wizards use a rotary axis and are aimed at woodworkers. The spiral wizard will cut rope, barley twists, hollow spirals, etc. The flute wizard will cut any number of flutes on a cylinder with or without ramping. The wrap on a cylinder wizard will allow any gcode to be wrapped around a cylinder without any changes.

Gerald D
Tue 15 July 2008, 11:41
What is a "wizard"? What is the input? What is the output? Screenshots?

Alan_c
Tue 15 July 2008, 13:50
"Wizards" are like plugins for Mach that make setting up so called canned cycles easier, rather than writing a new G-code file, you enter info into a page that works like parametric programming and the wizard does all the hard work in the background to produce the .tap file for you to run in Mach - look at the "Wizards" button on the top row in Mach.

rgoldner
Tue 15 July 2008, 15:25
In response to all the requests I have received for more information on my indexer wizards I have created a quick and dirty web page. Please check it out:

http://www.wizardsbyrich.embarqspace.com/

Art
Tue 15 July 2008, 16:49
Art,

That looks like a lot of fun. Have you ever done hand rail posts?

I have turned many different things.

javeria
Wed 16 July 2008, 07:43
Art, can you put in pictures of some of your works,

btw, nice work rich!

show us more, especially something similar like getting a grape vine around a pillar!

Art
Wed 16 July 2008, 18:40
Rich strikes again! He has written a rounding wizard. It will also do tapering. This a piece of 4x4 that has been in the wood pile for a few years so finish of cut is terible. Now the spiral and fluting wizards will have to be changed so they can be used on tapered work. I do a lot of spiral and fluting work on columns up to 18" by 10'. The rounding, fluting and spiral wizards are goining to save me a LOT lot of work! Profit just went up at least 15%. Talked with Rich about more enhancements and hopefully he will do more. Three weeks ago I bought the Legacy spreadsheet for $90 and was happy to get it. Now it is obsolete as the 286 computers.
If you want a grape vine wrapped around a column send me the 2.5D file. My site should be up next week. switiching ISP's.

sailfl
Thu 17 July 2008, 03:32
Art

For a guy that cut columns, you must be in column heaven. Once I get my MM built, one of the areas that I want to work on next is my indexer. So I am watching this thread with interest.

javeria
Thu 17 July 2008, 08:15
I don't have a ready file , I just saw someone machining it on youtube, i was just wanting to know if that was possible and if any one has tried it using these mach wizards.

rgoldner
Sat 19 July 2008, 11:29
A fourth wizard has been added to the collection. This one will create any diameter cylinder out of rough stock or larger diameter cylinders. It will also create tapered cylinders.

In addition, the fluting wizard will now create flutes on tapered cylinders. Even with the added wizard the price stays at $75. Please see

http://www.wizardsbyrich.embarqspace.com/

for additional information or to purchase.

rgoldner
Sat 19 July 2008, 20:48
What additional wizards would you like me to write?

rgoldner
Tue 05 August 2008, 14:02
Here's a couple of pictures of work done with my new wave wizard. The wizard will be released in a few days.

javeria
Wed 06 August 2008, 00:48
Hi Rich,

on the wrap wizard can you write a wizard where the g code gets wrapped like a spiral, or is it already there in the wizard?

rgds
IRfan

rgoldner
Wed 06 August 2008, 09:34
The current wrap wizard just takes whatever is in the gcode and wraps it around the wizard. It does this by making Mach3 think that the rotary axis is acutally the Y axis. The wizard will not let you wrap more then 360 degrees around the cylinder. This limitation could be removed. Then, if you had gcode that, for example, was a line of text that ran diagonally, then when it was wrapped on the cylinder it would spiral around the cylinder.

rgoldner
Wed 06 August 2008, 20:51
The current wrap wizard just takes whatever is in the gcode and wraps it around the wizard. It does this by making Mach3 think that the rotary axis is acutally the Y axis. The wizard will not let you wrap more then 360 degrees around the cylinder. This limitation could be removed. Then, if you had gcode that, for example, was a line of text that ran diagonally, then when it was wrapped on the cylinder it would spiral around the cylinder.

I really screwed up the above. It should say:

The current wrap wizard just takes whatever is in the gcode and wraps it around the cylinder. It does this by making Mach3 think that the rotary axis is actually the Y axis. The wizard will not let you wrap more then 360 degrees around the cylinder. This limitation could be removed. Then, if you had gcode that, for example, was a line of text that ran diagonally, then when it was wrapped on the cylinder it would spiral around the cylinder.

William McGuire
Thu 07 August 2008, 10:14
Would the wrapping also work if, on the wrapping lettering, you just used used a circumference 3 (if you wanted to make 3 wraps) times the actual circumference of the column? wouldn't that alleviate any gcode change?

rgoldner
Thu 07 August 2008, 11:00
I am pleased to announce that a new wizard has been added to my Indexer Wizards package. The Wave Wizard is used to cut sine waves onto a straight or tapered cylinder. Depending on the bit used and the pitch and amplitude selected this can create some very interesting patterns.

The price of the Indexer Wizards stays the same at $75.

For more information:

http://wizardsbyrich.yolasite.com/

rgoldner
Thu 07 August 2008, 11:05
Bill, The problem is not in the gcode. It's in the wizard. The wizard won't allow a wrap of more then 360 degrees. This is easy for me to change if people want it.

rgoldner
Thu 27 August 2009, 18:31
I am pleased to announce that version 2.0 of the Indexer Wizards are now available. The Indexer Wizards are designed to allow you to cut cylindrical objects on your rotary axis. These objects range from simple cylinders to complex newel posts with tapers, flutes, spirals and carvings. The wizards consist of a few basic operations (called work operations) that can be combined in unlimited ways without having to write any gcode. Work operations include rounding, spirals, flutes, waves, polygons, tool change, wrap gcode on a cylinder and custom. The custom work operation allows you to include custom gcode.

The Indexer Wizards create one gcode output file that can be directly used by Mach3 to cut the object you have designed. The object is designed by entering the parameters required for each work operation that you want to add to your object. The Indexer Wizards convert these parameters to gcode. At any time you can save your work to a gcode file. You do not have to finish your design in one session. You can save your file and exit the wizards and then, at a later time, reopen the file and finish your design.

The wizards are designed to allow bi-directional operation. This means that at any time you can open a file created by the Indexer Wizards and modify your design in any way that you wish. You can change the order of work operations, add and delete work operations or change the parameters of one or more work operations. This makes it very easy to correct mistakes or change a design into something brand new.

A free operation manual may be downloaded from my website.

BTW, the Indexer Wizards cost $100 and come with free upgrades and support.

Here is a picture of a carving wrapped around a cylinder. The decorative beading was done with the help of Vectric's Aspire.

domino11
Thu 27 August 2009, 19:14
Impressive Rich! Wait till Art gets a hold of these! :)

rgoldner
Fri 28 August 2009, 07:13
Art was actually one of the beta testers.

javeria
Thu 03 September 2009, 01:19
Rich these are really nice one's

looking forward to purchase these - btw do you have any updates planned,

RGDS
Irfan

rgoldner
Fri 04 September 2009, 07:50
The current version is the update. It's far superior then the original one. As for the future, who knows. ;)

I am thinking of supporting WinCNC in addition to Mach3.

javeria
Fri 04 September 2009, 08:05
A friend of mine has a DSP based system (Chinese) and was interested -but!

cabnet636
Mon 07 September 2009, 07:30
i vote for wincnc!!

jim

javeria
Mon 07 September 2009, 09:17
wow super expensive (the win cnc)

rgoldner
Sun 27 September 2009, 14:13
I am happy to announce that the Indexer Wizards version 2.1 is now available. This version will support WinCNC as well as Mach3. To use the Indexer Wizards with WinCNC you will need version 2.4.09. This is a new version that Kelly Davis has created to support the Indexer Wizards. It is available at http://www.wincnc.net. Please see my website for more information.

cabnet636
Sun 04 October 2009, 18:44
i got to see rich's program first hand this weekend and it is truly a capable piece of software!!!

jim mcgrew

rgoldner
Sat 20 March 2010, 20:20
Fully functional demos of the Indexer Wizards are now available. Just go to my website (http://wizardsbyrich.yolasite.com/), click on the downloads menu item and download the demo. The demo will function for seven days. The Indexer Wizards will generate gcode that works with Mach3 or WinCNC. If you like the program you may purchase an unlock code at the same website. Send me an email and let me know what you think of the Indexer Wizards.

Rich Goldner

domino11
Sun 09 January 2011, 22:40
Rich now has a new website. Take a look! :)

m_leblanc
Mon 19 December 2011, 17:39
Hi
I have bought his Indexing Wizard in July 2009 and unfortunately I had HD failure and my serial number was on that hard drive, now I can't install the wizard anymore.
I have sent a few Emails to Rich and I didn't get any replies.
I would like to know if anyone of you is using this software with a legal serial and can send it to me; I have a print screen that I had paid for this software with Paypall.
I will send you the pictures of the transaction before you send me the software to prove that I did pay for it.
Thank you

rgoldner
Tue 20 December 2011, 06:41
I sent you several emails asking for your registration code. You finally sent me the code and I sent you the unlock code. In cae you didn't get the unlock code here it is:

2829-A9BB-6070-0FA4-77F0

This code will only work for your copy on your machine.

Maybe you sent me the wrong email address?

Please let me know if you can now run the Indexer Wizards.

domino11
Tue 20 December 2011, 12:45
Hey Rich,
Good to see you around. Anything new coming up on the wizards? :)

m_leblanc
Tue 20 December 2011, 14:15
I sent you several emails asking for your registration code. You finally sent me the code and I sent you the unlock code. In cae you didn't get the unlock code here it is:

2829-A9BB-6070-0FA4-77F0

This code will only work for your copy on your machine.

Maybe you sent me the wrong email address?

Please let me know if you can now run the Indexer Wizards.

Thank you for the serial, it is now in working condition.
I can't tell you what happen with the Emails, I have look in my outlook spam folder just in case it would have been there and I didn't found anything.
From now on I will save all my software on has many drives that I have to try to avoid this kind of situation

rgoldner
Thu 22 December 2011, 15:50
My rgoldner@iname.com email address has not worked since yesterday morning. If you need to get in touch with me please use the following:

rgoldner@embarqmail.com