PDA

View Full Version : Mechmate Parts Cabinet

Rad Racer
Mon 07 September 2009, 12:37
Seems I am always running to the work bench looking for a pencil, collet wrench, router bit, etc.... So I decided I would build a little cabinet to store all the stuff I need when using my Mechmate.

The cabinet is made from .5" MDF, the drawers are white oak. The cabinet was made entirely with the MechMate, the drawers were made using conventional tools (tablesaw, plane, shaper, etc..).

This was designed to fit flush with the first cross member so you don't hit your legs when working in the front of the machine. This location is very accessable when changing bits or when setting up a job.

Rad Racer
Mon 07 September 2009, 12:43
With pictures this time:D

sailfl
Mon 07 September 2009, 15:13
Wayne,

Nice idea and nice work. You have inspired me.

domino11
Mon 07 September 2009, 18:39
Very Nice Wayne,
You can never have enough storage. :)

jehayes
Wed 09 September 2009, 20:34
Nice job. Thanks for sharing this idea. How did you attach it to the cross braces?

Rad Racer
Wed 09 September 2009, 22:11
Thanks, glad you like it.

I used brackets made from 1" angle iron....simple but effective. I will take a photo tomorrow.

Gerald D
Thu 10 September 2009, 00:12
It is a nice cabinet, but it occupies space that we often use for G-clamps to hold workpieces down onto the table.

First thought that you could set the cabinet further back so that the clamps can work in front of it, but then realised that the long end of the clamp hangs down and would obstruct the drawers.

Still is a nice cabinet though, just needs a good location . . . . :)