PDA

View Full Version : need help on a Colombo spindle

javeria
Wed 02 September 2009, 13:27
Folks I am rebuilding a machine for my friend and wanted to know about a part I wanted to change - it looks like a cap (though not sure) and need the experienced folks to let me know what it was.

the pictures are at this thread on the zone.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=660404&postcount=8

rgds
Irfan

domino11
Wed 02 September 2009, 14:32
Irfan,
Its kinda hard to tell, as the pics are a little fuzzy. Does the component have some glue or something covering it?
Your camera might be too close to focus properly. Most cameras have to be at least 3 feet or so from the nearest object to focus unless it is in a special macro mode. Then you can get closer.

javeria
Wed 02 September 2009, 17:31
it was my phone camera Heath. A lot of folks here have colombo spindles - I hope'd they'd jump in to help and tell me what it was. that white thing looked like someone stepped on a boiled potato.

RGDS
Irfan

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 02 September 2009, 22:29
On the first pic there is something about 50 degrees...could this be a temperature sensor in there ?

javeria
Wed 02 September 2009, 23:53
think alex from blurry customs helped me pinpoint the same - he told me it was a thermistor and i could by pass that.

thankyou alex

Gerald D
Thu 03 September 2009, 00:58
Wires from a spindle:
3 wires to the motor stator coils - receiving 3 phase power from VFD
2 wires for the electric fan on the spindle - sometimes 24V (AC or DC), sometimes mains AC
2 wires from a temperature sensor - could be switch or thermistor

javeria
Thu 03 September 2009, 04:10
the cable coming from the VFD to the spindle in our case had just 6 wires

as you said 3 for MSC
2 for the fan and
1 ground -

there was no temperature sensor wire.

I will just neglect that for the time being.

btw I like the wago connector on the spindle.

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Thu 03 September 2009, 06:00
The temperature sensor is buried between the motor coils - its job is to detect when smoke has risk of being generated. I think the two green wires come from the sensor, and the ends of the wires were just insulated with a blob of gunk because the sensor was not connected to anything.

javeria
Thu 03 September 2009, 08:09
I think you are absolutely right!