PDA

View Full Version : Got Her Cutting Today #53 - Whidbey Island WA USA

jehayes
Mon 03 August 2009, 21:31
Thanks to Travis H's excellent work I have received the laser cut parts and have officially started my project. Attached are some photos of the parts. The Y-Car is simply snapped together at this stage (not yet welded) which shows how close the tolerances are from the laser cutter/bender.

I am sure I will have a lot of questions as I go along.

Travish
Tue 04 August 2009, 13:18
Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking pics and posting them up. I had fun supplying for the group in washington. I'm amazed at how well they fit. Nicely done Gerald.

Don't forget to c'sink the holes on the side plates of the Y car.

Good luck with your build!

Gerald D
Tue 04 August 2009, 23:16
The small bend on 10 30 422 (for the button box) has gone too far and will cause a collision with the y-motor.

domino11
Wed 05 August 2009, 06:46
Funny,
My bender made that mistake once too. :( Easily fixed with a little muscle though. :)

jehayes
Wed 05 August 2009, 21:02
Yes, I noticed that and will fix it before welding. Thanks for the heads up.

jehayes
Fri 21 August 2009, 10:15
Well, the steel for the table is all here. I picked it up from a nearby supplier (Skagit Steel for other PNWs who may be looking). What a load on my little Toyota Pickup! I now realize that this MM build will be a real "Hole in the Bucket" type project. I started it to get a machine that would let me cut plywood panels for stitch-and-glue boats that I wanted to build. Now I will have to learn the weld to make the MM. And I will have to learn electronics for the MM controller build. All very exciting and fun. Maybe someday I will get to build those boats I started with!:D

Thanks to all for the inspiration!

jehayes
Mon 24 August 2009, 17:06
Well, I started the rails, cutting them down from 2" to 1.1. The process went very well, much easier and more accurate than I had feared. For those of you who may be worried about the process; don't be. Gerald's skate and a slow, patient hand make it very easy and accurate. I have faith that this will be the case with grinding the angle as well.

I used a surplus cast iron wing from my table saw as the grinding table to ensure the cut was flat and consistent, simply moving the angle iron back and forth to cut each section. It made the process slow but the cut is consistent along the entire length. TTFN :)

jhiggins7
Mon 24 August 2009, 22:08
Nice work, Joe. Thanks for sharing your progress. Keep the pictures coming.:D

jehayes
Mon 14 September 2009, 19:46
The table is all welded and brought home on a trailer. It is amazing what you can move by yourself with a good lever and fulcrum. However, for the last bit I got a neighbor to bring his tractor for the lift. Not yet sure how I'm going to turn it over but grinding and painting will keep me busy.

domino11
Tue 15 September 2009, 07:28
Very nice looking table Joe!

jehayes
Sat 19 September 2009, 12:26
Well, I got her turned over (with the help of three other guys - no cranes necessary:)) and have started to turn her blue, as you can see. Tapping the holes in the main beams is almost complete. I figured out that I could simply change the orientation of the overhead arm on the base of the little tapping machine (see above) and get essentially unlimited capacity under the tapping head. The photo shows how well this works using the cross beams and a piece of MDF as the table.

sailfl
Sat 19 September 2009, 17:09
Joe,

You won't be long before you will be cutting. Good progress.

jehayes
Mon 05 October 2009, 15:29
After a nice break to move a car from Washington, DC to Washington State I am getting back to work. The trip was via the Grand Canyon and the weather was perfect for a Fall roadtrip. This week I will finish up the small welding items (stop blocks, motion sensors, etc.) and get ready to mount the racks.

jehayes
Sun 15 November 2009, 13:38
Despite the lack of posts I have made some progress in the last month. The motors, racks, pinions, Gecko G540 and other items have begun to arrive although the power supply is still missing. The big concern now is if the temperature is too low (41F) to use the 3M VHB tape.

Since the smallest amount of tape I could buy was a 36yd roll from ULINE I have decided to tape the base board of MDF to the cross pieces rather than bolt it. 7055
Hopefully this will obviate any chance of a cutter meeting a bolt head sometime in the future.

jehayes
Thu 19 November 2009, 16:29
Thanks to Travis who machined the Bearing support bases (M1 20 220) and the Idler Support Shaft (M1 30 224) for me, I have all the pieces to do the final assembly. The electronics and computer stuff are next!

jehayes
Fri 01 January 2010, 19:40
Latest progress, with a great deal of help from Travis (boy am I lucky he lives nearby) I got the power supply and the relay/switch wired and working. Travis will post some photos. Next will be to get the G540 hooked up and a motor turning!

sailfl
Sat 02 January 2010, 01:45
Joe,

Hang in there Joe. You will be cutting soon!

Travish
Sat 02 January 2010, 15:15
Joe has all his parts to get the motors turning. I'm amazed at how little wirering will be need using the Gecko G540. Here are some pics of the start of his board. It is wired to just be funtional to get it working, then things will be cleaned up and mounted.

I'm pleased to be able to share my help I have gotten from the forum.

Cheers!

jehayes
Thu 07 January 2010, 20:01
I am setting up a G540 to run a 3-axis MechMate.
The power leads are connected: (Positive to Pin 11, negative to Pin 12 with a jumper between pins 10 and 12).
The charge pump switch is "on."
The Parallel port is set to EPP mode.
One Oriental Motor with six leads, four of which are wired to the DB9 for the X-Axis as follows: Black to pin 8, yellow to pin 9, red to pin 6 and white to pin 7.I have a 3.3K resistor across pins 5 and 1.
The Ports&Pins config menu has been set to enable the charge pump set to pin 16.

When I first powered it up the light went green and I was able to run a text G-Code file in Mach 3 which moved the motor shaft as expected.

Shortly thereafter, when I tried to run another test file, the fault indicator light went red and it will now not go green nomatter what. The hardware had not been touched between tests but some Mach3 buttons might have been pushed (however not sure which, if any).

I have disconnected the parallel cable and the motor and tried to get it to go green but no luck.

Any thoughts? Could it be a mach3 issue?

Thanks
Joe Hayes

jehayes
Thu 07 January 2010, 20:02
BTW - those are Travis' bike in post #18 above, not mine.:)

shaper
Thu 07 January 2010, 21:15
Joe

I don't know mach at all as I'm using EMC, but what you describe sounds like a charge pump issue. I'd reset mach including the ports and pins thing and try again.

On EMC there is and enable button which in essence tells the computer to start sending the charge pump signal, I don't know if mach has similar but that's my guess if you haven't touched the hardware.
Did some reading of the Mach manual found this which would also explain it:

4.12 Charge Pump — a Pulse Monitor
Mach3 will output a constant pulse train whose frequency is approximately 12.5 kHZ on one or both of
the parallel ports whenever it is running correctly. This signal will not be there if the Mach3 has not
been loaded, is in EStop mode, or if the pulse train generator fails in some way. You can use this signal
to charge a capacitor through a diode pump (hence the name) whose output, showing Mach3's health,
enables your axis and spindle drives etc. This function is often implemented in commercial breakout
boards.

Only other thing I could think of is a bad connection on one of your DB9's so i'd also try unplugging the motors then plugging them in one by one as described in the G540 manual to check this.

Good luck, Hope this helps

Jed

jessyjames
Thu 07 January 2010, 22:35
I had this problem with my g540 about 3 months ago. I would turn on the controller and got the green light. I cut something out and then turned off my controller. Than about 5 minutes I tried to cut something else out, turned on the controller and was presented with a red light special. I would have to flip the switch on and off about twenty times and then it would finally give me the green light. Checked all my settings, sent it into Gecko and was sent back saying that all was ok except that it was turned off? Didn't understand that one but they gave me a free driver version... I think.... and it was good to go. Im thinking it could be one of three thing..

1. Your db9 connectors could be the cause. Loose connection?
2. Your charge pump needs to be turned off.
3. Possibly a faulty drive... Not at the top of my list.

Can you unplug your db9 connectors and see if you get a green light? Not sure if it will give you the green light doing this.. I cant remember what I did. Then plug one at a time and see if one of them is the prob.

Maybe get the old multimeter out and test to see if you do have the recommended resistor settings.

I will go through my journal and see what steps I did to troubleshoot my problem.. A journal is a must..

Good luck

jehayes
Fri 08 January 2010, 00:11
James: I will run your suggestions tomorrow and report back. I am using the screw-type DB9 connectors so I don't think it is a loose wire but I will switch it out and use a another motor as well. I assume all 4 motors do not have to be in the circuit to test?

Thanks

Joe

shaper
Fri 08 January 2010, 00:54
Joe

No they don't, when I did mine I started with G540 plugged into parrallel port then switched it all on, hit the enable button in emc and got the green light on the gecko. From here I plugged one motor in at a time ensuring I had the green light still after each connection.

I'd suspect that the line below from the mach setup manual is the issue:

is in E-stop mode, or if the pulse generator fails in some way.

since you are still in testing mode a good way to test if this is the issue is to remove the front cover of your G540 (using a small flat blade srew driver) then on the inside next to the output connectors (from memory) there is a little switch if you move this switch to it's opposite possition it will disable the charge pump. try running your setup again and see if you have the same issue, if you do then it's simply that the chargepump signal is not getting through (either mach has entered the estop mode or something else has happened). Once you have tested this move the switch to it's original possition (I would not advise in anyway that you continue to use it without the charge pump).

Try this and let us know if it works the question then is what is causing the charge pump signal to stop.

Good luck

P.S. disabling the charge pump is covered in the G540 initial setup guide if you are looking for better help than I can provide without it in front of me.

Gerald D
Fri 08 January 2010, 01:22
With all this unplugging and replugging, you have to be sure that there is no power left in the capacitors before you make/break the motor connections.

bradm
Fri 08 January 2010, 09:56
Note that if the charge pump is enabled, then you cannot get the G540 to go green without the parallel cable connected to the computer, with Mach3 running and not in Estop mode. You can get it to go green with the motors disconnected.

jehayes
Fri 08 January 2010, 11:06
... a good way to test if this is the issue is to remove the front cover of your G540 (using a small flat blade srew driver) then on the inside next to the output connectors (from memory) there is a little switch if you move this switch to it's opposite possition...

One nice change in the newer model is that Gecko has made the Charge Pump switch accessible from the top without having to open the case.

I will try all these suggestions this AM and get back to you. Thanks

Joe

jehayes
Fri 08 January 2010, 19:33
James/Jed/Brad: Much thanks. I rewired and double checked. Also reinstalled Mach3 using the G540.xms profile from the Gecko website (some issues found with that file to be specified later). The bottom line is I got a consistent green light. The problem seems to have been with the charge pump settings. I will be running the motor tests tomorrow and will let you know how that goes. Joe

jehayes
Sat 09 January 2010, 17:42
All: OK, I have configured Mach3 using the G540.xml file and in accordance with the Gecko instructions. I have tried two motors on each of the Axis db9 connectors and all work with both motors except for the X-Axis, which does nothing but heat up the motors slightly if it is left on for an hour. I slaved the A-axis to the x and it moves both with G code running and with the jog keys. I also swapped the pin assignments between the X and A axis but still got no movement on the X but full movement on the A.

Therefore, I am assuming the x-axis driver is kerflooie. Is there any way to test this without sending the G540 back to Gecko? If not, I am sure they will sort it out as they have been very helpful so far. Thanks Joe

Travish
Sat 09 January 2010, 17:46
Good progress Joe! Way to work thru it. Looking forward to hearing those motors turning! :)

domino11
Sat 09 January 2010, 19:54
Joe, You could swap the drivers inside the G540 if that is up your alley of expertise. If you have to unsolder the drivers then I would leave it to Gecko. Brad might be able to comment on whether the internal drives are connectored or soldered.

bradm
Sat 09 January 2010, 20:01
They are not soldered, there are .100" pin headers. However, I'd start with talking to Gecko as your next step.

jehayes
Sat 09 January 2010, 20:17
I will call Gecko on Monday. Thanks:)

jessyjames
Sun 10 January 2010, 07:31
Joe it will be a good thing for you to call Gecko on Monday as was stated. Chances are you will get Marius in the tech. department and he will give you way more insight than what you were expecting. He's a great guy and he likes to share the knowledge. I know from personal experience calling him about my G540. Asked an easy question and got a whole bunch of trouble shooting answers for future problems if the need presented itself.

Hang in there buddy. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Respectfully,

James

Gerald D
Sun 10 January 2010, 07:39
The 2 characters at Geckodrive are Mariss and Marcus (father & son). There is no "Marius". ;)

jessyjames
Sun 10 January 2010, 19:25
Gerald thanks for the correction. "Hooked on phonics" didn't really help me too much... Darn spell checking names anyways..

:)

jehayes
Tue 12 January 2010, 14:16
I realized in the middle of the night last night that the cable I was using (pulled from the cable jumble) was, in fact, a null modem cable in which pins number 2 and 3 cross (hence the null modem). Today I switched the pin assignments in Mach3 and Voila! everything works.

Kudos to Marcus at Gecko for walking me through a swap of the drives inside the G540 which was easy once he told me how. Also Kudos to Gecko from producing a bullet-proof (but obviously not idiot-proof:o) device.

The last question I have is probably answered elsewhere but:

How do I get the slaved A-Axis motor to turn in the opposite direction from the X-Axis motor? They turn together currently but both in the same direction. Thanks

jehayes
Tue 12 January 2010, 18:02
How do I get the slaved A-Axis motor to turn in the opposite direction from the X-Axis motor? They turn together currently but both in the same direction. Thanks

Please disregard the above, I found it! (Maybe I should look harder before I ask these dumb questions:o Ya think?)

Joe

jehayes
Wed 24 February 2010, 10:19
Hurray! I have all three axis running on the machine (not yet cutting as I have not mounted the router) with the test programs working smoothly and consistently. There is no heating problem either with the motors or in the control box.

I will mount the decals and get the router on and cutting this week.

O Boy! Can't wait.

Thanks to everybody for all your help.

Joe

Gerald D
Wed 24 February 2010, 10:37
Well done Joe!

Mike MH (metalhead), better start thinking of the drill :D:
1. move thread
2. check most recent serial no.....add 1
3. change thread title to include serial #
4. change member's profile to include # in "Just call me" (some member's take it out again)
5. congratulate the member!
6. pour yourself a drink and read back through the whole personal thread of that member and be amazed at what they learnt and what confidence they gained. :)

domino11
Wed 24 February 2010, 12:06
Cant wait to see you cutting Joe!

MetalHead
Wed 24 February 2010, 12:30
Shoot ,

I got some lernin to do. I've been pouring drinks first !!!

http://om4tourism.com/files/filling-large-shoes.jpg

Congrats on getting the table moving. Looking forward to some dust !!!

Mike

Travish
Wed 24 February 2010, 14:10
That's awesome Joe! looks like your going to easily make your goal well before #100. :)

Mike, stoll rolling...Lol.

Travis

jehayes
Sun 07 March 2010, 15:53
I got her cutting today. Just the Road Runner but the router cuts and the dust flies.

Mike: For the record: I started on August 3, 2009 and made first dust on March 7, 2010 (not the fastest build, but the most fun!:))

Here is a link to (silent) Youtube movies for the record.

Thanks to everyone for all your help. I literally could not have done it without your support.

Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wgMRpswYkM

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5na2XCi7uQs

SumBum
Sun 07 March 2010, 17:24
Looks great Joe, Congrats

swatkins
Sun 07 March 2010, 20:02
Looks great! Good Job....

MetalHead
Sun 07 March 2010, 20:16
Man what a day !!! I see Dust, Logos and Lables...again !!! Congrats. It looks like you get SN 53 !!!

lumberjack_jeff
Sun 07 March 2010, 20:35
Congratulations Joe!

Rad Racer
Sun 07 March 2010, 21:16
Nicely done Joe, congratulations.

Drad98_98
Sun 07 March 2010, 21:34
Nice job Joe, A great day for both of us! Now the fun part of cutting stuff

KenC
Sun 07 March 2010, 21:57
Congrats Joe! Well done! wonder when I'll get there...

jhiggins7
Sun 07 March 2010, 22:03
Joe,

Congratulations on your MechMate and Serial #53.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttqjIPMBEXKcExveGc4d3U0V25zQmMyX1U1eUVhU Xc&hl=en).

Please provide the dimensions of your MechMate for the log and please review your entry and let me know any changes you want to make.

jehayes
Sun 07 March 2010, 22:25
John: My dimensions are 97 X 49, It is a standard build. Thaks

Joe #53

Gerald D
Sun 07 March 2010, 22:49
Well done Joe!

sailfl
Mon 08 March 2010, 05:57
Joe,

Congratulations on finishing your build and on #53. Welcome to the club.

jhiggins7
Mon 08 March 2010, 12:34
Updated Builder's Log is here (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttqjIPMBEXKcExveGc4d3U0V25zQmMyX1U1eUVhU Xc&hl=en).

Thanks, Joe.

riesvantwisk
Mon 08 March 2010, 13:36
Joe,

congratulations! It's an amazing accomplishment, isn't it?

And... the numbers go out at a amazing rate now :)

Ries

Surfcnc
Tue 09 March 2010, 04:25
Hi Joe

Looks like you will be moving out of the "under construction" thread. The finish on your machine in the movies you have posted is great. I sure you will enjoy your new machine and hopefully I will join you in the "mechmates already cutting thread" in due time.

Regards
Ross

Travish
Tue 09 March 2010, 06:07
Congrats Joe!

You made it! I bet your grinning from ear to ear! Very cool to watch you come along. Please post up some of the latest pics of your Machine.

cheers,
Travis

smreish
Tue 09 March 2010, 06:30
Joe,
I have been watching your fun and accomplishments from Florida.....Looks great from here!
Congratulations. :)
Sean

domino11
Tue 09 March 2010, 11:16
Congrats Joe! Well done. Now to post some pics to the showroom! :)