PDA

View Full Version : My mechmate is not totally idle #48 - Sydney, Aus

jude
Mon 27 July 2009, 18:18
I've been looking at this forum and at other CNC (mainly desktop) routers for a while. I am now totally sold on the Mech Mate. I intend to build a 8' x 4' version. At the moment I am finishing off a prototype of a hovercraft that I designed. I have attached some photos for your interest. The Mech Mate would have been quite handy in building it, but I have other inventions that I hope to bring to life using the Mech Mate.

twistedfuse
Mon 27 July 2009, 18:41
That looks cool. Got any photos/videos of it in action.

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 27 July 2009, 22:55
Welcome Jude, maybe I can hook you up with my brother-in-law. He lives in Sydney and he helped a little when I was building my MM.

By the way, are those RUDDERS not a bit small at the back..

sailfl
Tue 28 July 2009, 00:36
Jude,

I will show my ignorance. Why aren't the fans at the back so you can see where you are going? They give you lift but don't they also give you direction?

jude
Tue 28 July 2009, 00:47
Thanks Guys, No I dont have any videos of the hovercraft in action. I had a heap of trouble with the Cuyuna engines and am presently installing centrifugal clutches to make starting the engines easier whilst the drive fans are connected. No, there are no rudders. The craft is steered entirely by the engine throttles. You rev up the outside fan, the higher speed of the airflow as well as the increased static pressure both cause a turn radius.

I've only just decided to do the MM build. Thanks Kobus for volunteering your brother in law, I may need his help sometime in the future. Just sent message to Rick (rnixon) for the Lasercut parts.

javeria
Tue 28 July 2009, 01:23
think this is a side wall type of craft, i am too interested in this and built a couple of crafts a few years back - lack of space made me to dismantle and just store the engine and prop :)

WELCOME TO THE MM FORUM!

Lex
Tue 28 July 2009, 01:42
Welcome Jude.
I see that you are not using any flexiable rubber skirting on the craft. Do you get a lot of clearance over the ground? Or is it more for beach aplication?

jude
Tue 28 July 2009, 16:17
Hello to Javeira and Lex,
My "invention" is a sealing system for hovercraft that is an alternative to the flexible skirt and fixed sidewall systems. Each of the blue panels are separately suspended from the hull. Each panel is also acted upon by a spring and damper. I will set up a website soon detailing the invention (my ISP no longer hosts sites for free), and wont distract you guys from the Mech Mate.

jude
Sun 02 August 2009, 16:53
A website I set up some time ago for the Hovercraft is attached here. http://jude.idx.com.au I will update this page soon.

jason H
Sat 08 August 2009, 18:46
Wow Jude, thats damm cool. Please post vid as i'll love to she her in action.

jude
Mon 14 September 2009, 15:24
I have roughly welded up the base table. Will need to redo some of the welds and attach lateral braces. So far everything is proving far easier and quicker than I ever imagined. There are some minor changes from the plans to the legs, etc. I chose to miter the waterpipe (using Tubemiter software) as it was easier for me to do. The hardest thing so far was transporting the X beams home. The first photo shows the X beams and rails on the 'tinnie' with Dangar Island straight ahead.
Also received the MotionKing steppers and drivers, V tyres and other bits, and have started on the power supply and control box.
I need to move this thread to 'Construction started'. Can someome help me with this.

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 14 September 2009, 22:36
No that is a first in MM world....Beams on Water... Well done

inventall
Tue 15 September 2009, 00:22
Cool craft!! I like it.

How much fun was that trip in the boat with all that wight!!

P.S. Love Sidney haven't been there since 2000:(

mrghm
Tue 15 September 2009, 05:08
scott land island???

jude
Wed 16 September 2009, 01:39
Hi Gareth, fellow Sydneysider, Scotland Island in Pittwater, is not that far from here by boat. I am on Dangar Island on the Hawkesbury River.
Hi Pete, the tinnie handles the weight no problem. The water felt dead calm that day.
Nice to hear from you again Kobus. Got to say I love your build pages.

Before someone zooms in on my welds I should point out that I redid a lot of the welds today with a 3mm arc welding rod (they dont stock the recomended 7018? rods at my steel shop) and it worked heaps better than the 2.5mm rods I used before. Also, I think I was too cautious about not overheating the beams before.

jude
Sun 29 November 2009, 02:55
Just to update my progress. The machine is almost there. I have not painted various bits and pieces, the gear racks are not glued in, have not got the Z axis gas strut and other fiddly bits like the idler arm and limit switches are left to do. All the same I am very pleased with progress.
I used Belden CY type cable which at ~$180aus/50meters (used up all 50meters) was considerably cheaper than the Lapp brand. I will trial the machine with el chepo 1/2" router that I had.

For those that are following the progress of my hovercraft, you will notice the centrifugal clutches are installed and aligned. Lots of fiddly work to complete here as well.

BartDeckers
Sun 29 November 2009, 03:01
Well done Jude. Looks like a fine build.

Robert M
Sun 29 November 2009, 06:21
Hey Jude,
Nicely going….I can relate & sympathize with a man working hard in a confined space…. I know the feeling !!
Keep us inform of your progress, beast & hovercraft :D
Amicalement, Robert ;)

jude
Fri 05 February 2010, 21:47
My machine is now cutting and doing it beautifully. I have not got the MM decals on yet (may cut it by hand if needed) but the machine has been a goer since just before Christmas. The specs of the machine in brief are

8' x 4' work area.
Motion King steppers and Motion Kong drivers

jude
Fri 05 February 2010, 22:35
Oops , I'll have another go with this update. The pictures should tell the story. I cut a seat for my Dory with the MM. Just to be different I bought Motion King stepper drivers rather than the trusted Gecko's, and they work fine. I am using direct drive from the steppers using 25 tooth TEA gears, and the cut quality is very good. I will attach the MM decals soon, even if I have to cut it by hand.

KenC
Fri 05 February 2010, 22:52
Congrats! 1st MM afloat!

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 06 February 2010, 01:13
Nice going Jude. Do you get those nasty Sydney spiders in your garden as well.

Gerald D
Sat 06 February 2010, 02:03
"Hey Jude, don't let me down.
You have found her, now go and get her.
Remember to let her into your heart,
Then you can start to make it better." - Beatles

Well done! :)

Surfcnc
Sat 06 February 2010, 03:53
Hi Jude - well done, that's all challenges beaten. I was wondering how the yellow machine was going after reading your thread and next thing it is cutting parts.
regards
Ross

KenC
Sat 06 February 2010, 03:59
When will we see that yellow machine hovers? :)

riesvantwisk
Sat 06 February 2010, 06:08
Well done Jude,

looks like you have a fine looking and active working going on there.

Ries

domino11
Mon 08 February 2010, 14:56
Excellent Job! A serial number is just around the corner. :)

jude
Sat 13 February 2010, 00:52
OK i've got the Mech Mate logos now, and pictures to show it. Kobus my mate, I have heard of Funnel web spiders and maybe Redbacks being around here but i have never come across one myself. I, however, tend to avoid those high risk activities like gardening. One of the critters you see around here is the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo that wandered into my office some time back. I would like to thank Gerald especially, and all the Mech Mates who have shared their knowledge and experience that made my construction quite painless. Thanks also to Rick Nixon whose kind offer to arrange the laser cutting and bending (superb parts there as well) kicked off my decision to build. I also appreciate the positive comments from you all.

Gerald D
Sat 13 February 2010, 01:38
Well done Jude!

Gee, using the plans for a bird-feeder took some swallowing. :D

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 13 February 2010, 03:28
You can be glad the bird is still FEEDING...:D

Enjoy the ride Jude..

Gerald D
Sat 13 February 2010, 04:37
Kobus, notice the green and gold MM colours . . . it must be in honour of us South Africans :D

Robert M
Sat 13 February 2010, 04:38
Nicely done, congrad Jude.
Wishing you lots of « dust »
Robert ;)

sailfl
Sat 13 February 2010, 06:15
Jude,

Congratulations on finishing and getting #48.

It took approximately 21 months from the time #1 Fabrica finished his machine until #12 Nils finished my machine. But it has taken only 15 months to go from #12 to #48 Jude. And that is only the machines that have registered their build. I am sure there are many more machines that have been built but not registered.

Gerald, Thanks

jhiggins7
Sat 13 February 2010, 07:01
Jude,

Congratulations on a great machine and Serial #48.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttqjIPMBEXKcExveGc4d3U0V25zQmMyX1U1eUVhU Xc&hl=en).

Please review your Builder's Log entry and let me know any changes you want to make.

MetalHead
Sat 13 February 2010, 07:30
Awesome !! Congrats on the completion of your MechMate !!!

rnixon
Sat 13 February 2010, 15:39
Jude,
Well done mate :)
Like the colors - just need a boxing kangaroo!
regards,
Rick

riesvantwisk
Sat 13 February 2010, 21:23
Jude,

congratulations with your number!
Don't forget to seal off your motors on the back with a piece of ducktape, wood dust tend to get in there and mess up your ball bearings or whatever there is in there :)

Ries

jude
Thu 11 March 2010, 20:07
I have compiled some of the costs to build a MM in Australia. The list is not complete and there are lots of things that I bought but are junk. Hope this helps the next builder,

Mech Mate Electronics Order, RS Components number and prices at September 2009

Transformer, 625VA, 2x40VDC, 223-8320, $169AUS

Diode, 35A, 1000V, 629-6358, $9.20

Capacitor, 100V, 22000uf, 381-9144, $55

Contactor Relay, 243-7410, $60.10

Disconnect Switch, 12A, 3 Pole, 433-9841, $79.70

Pause and Resume Switches, 318-878 & 318-856, $31 x 4

Steel Wall Case, 500mmx 400mmx 200mm, 207-7333 $233
(a slightly bigger case would be better)

Chassis plate for Case, 207-7478, $34.30

Belden CY type Cable, 4G, 1mm, 50m roll, 628-2264, $172
(This cable is a fair bit cheaper than the Lapp brand)

Cable Chain, Igus 62.5mm x 39mm, 75R, 236-4946, $57.80 pm x 3

Bootlace Furrule Kit, 513-2540, $24.20

Printer Cable extension, 6m, 480-557, $10.40

Crimp Connectors, 240V Spade, 534-351, $36 per 100

PMDX-122 Breakout Board from Practical Micro. with shipping, $116

Stepper Motors 4 of, and 4 Drivers from Motion King,with shipping, $967.08

The Crucial Bootlace Furrule Crimper (rachet type) I purchased at Altronics for about $50.

Just for your Information,

Jude #48

jude
Fri 12 March 2010, 14:56
The transformer should read 40VAC and not DC. I have compiled some of the costs and dimentions of the steel used on my table.

Mech Mate Steel Order, Australian prices September 2009

2400mm x 1200mm x 250mm

X Beam, 180x75mm Parrallel Channel, 2x3m lengths, $313.11

Bearers, 75x40mm Parrellel Channel, 7x 1620mm lengths, $307.04

X & Y Rails, 65x65mm Angle, 2x 3360, 2x 2060mm, $144.45

Y Beams, 100x50x2mm Tube, 1700mmx2, $42.43

Y Rail Clamp strip, 1650mmx2, $6

Z slide, 4x 1/4 inch Ground Stock, 457mm length, $ 100.13
(from Bohler Uddeholm Sydney)

Laser Cut Parts $465
(Thanks to Rick Nixon)

Guide Wheels (14 of) and Eccentric Bushes (4 of) including shipping, $331.57
(from Rick Hoback at Superior Bearings, It may be worth also ordering the bearings(10 of) and bushes(4 of) for the
rail grinding skate, and the Y rail Idle roller from Rick)

I cannot find the invoice for the Waterpipe for the Table base, the pipes were not costly as I recall.
I think square or rectangle tube would be better and at least in Australia the metal is fairly cheap.

I bought all the metal from MetalLand in Lisarow and carried them all in my car (Kia Rio could still do 110kph+ on the
freeway with 2 X beams and the X&Y rails sticking out behind).

It would take a long time to compile a list of all the bolts and nuts and other bits needed (though I think someone has done it). I just
bought heaps of M8 and M6 nuts bolts and washers and have plenty of spares I will use some day.

Good luck with your Builds,

Jude #48

guerd87
Mon 28 June 2010, 03:03
Great Build! I miss Sydney, havnt been up there in a while.

What model Steppers and Controllers did you get from MotionKing? I am looking around to get a cheaper set then the PK's and Gecko203v's.

How do they hold up direct drive? Is the resolution ok or are you going to put a belt drive in there?

John

jude
Tue 29 June 2010, 18:48
John, the steppers are Motion King 34HS9801 ($55AUS each) and the drivers are Model 2LA860 ($95AUS each). I am extremely happy with both purchases. I had inititially thought about a geared belt drive, but find the resolution with direct drive quite impressive, and more than sufficient for my needs. I will post some more photos of the MM doing it's job, but later.
Jude

jude
Tue 25 October 2011, 15:22
Here are some photos to show that my mechmate is not totally idle. The loo signs are in Gaelic, The Dory seats are ordinary C/D grade plywood that is finished with Stain and Varnish, The Scottish family crest is MDF also finished with Wattyl Teak Stain and Varnish, The serving tray is Merbou and cut with a cheap V bit that loses it's edge too fast. Also got off my arse to update my website, will update it again to showcase another invention. Link is http://jude.idx.com.au/

mrghm
Wed 26 October 2011, 01:59
the cd ply boat deck turned out very nice

revved_up
Tue 01 November 2011, 16:43
I thought my work commute was bad at just over 35 miles one way, but atleast I dont have to row to the mainland. :D How do you see over the top of those big fans to steer the hovercraft?