PDA

View Full Version : Extra hobbies besides MM

Claudiu
Wed 22 July 2009, 03:01
Hi guys,
While I´m waiting for the different parts to arrive I enjoy motorbike riding with my son and my friends. We are doing Enduro trails in a near mountain area where I live.

This is a little misshap from our last tour when Alex ( my son ) got also into diving experiences.;)

PEU
Wed 22 July 2009, 06:35
I made some and I collect flashlights, my page about my creations: www.neoca.com.ar

Gerald D
Wed 22 July 2009, 06:50
I did make sundials years ago - that was one of my hobbies that made get an interest in CNC. You can see one here: http://www.meltonwold.co.za/index.html

Doug_Ford
Wed 22 July 2009, 07:52
Gerald, I could only catch a glimpse of your sundial. Was it cast in bronze or brass?

I've got too many hobbies. Currently restoring an old army jeep and I enjoy machining and anything to do with metalwork. I also hope to build an airplane one day.

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 22 July 2009, 08:27
Doug, build that plane and come and visit....I am sure you will find a place to touch down over here somewhere

Gerald D
Wed 22 July 2009, 09:11
The dial was etched brass, while the gnomon was a 1/4" thick brass plate, extending through the dial into the concrete plinth below. That gnomon has not been vandalised in over 20 years.

Doug_Ford
Wed 22 July 2009, 18:12
Kobus: I don't like to fly. I just like to build things.

Over the last couple of days, I've been getting interested in model rocketry. This is a picture of the world's largest model rocket. The picture is real and here is a link where you can read about it:

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/blogcategory/35/76/

The article said he spent $13,000 on rocket fuel.

domino11
Wed 22 July 2009, 18:33
Hobbies, Ok well I have a few myself, woodworking, electronics, building and revovations, model airplanes, computers, playing guitar, and I have left out a bunch. :)

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 22 July 2009, 22:40
Hobbies...well :rolleyes: I have enough to keep me out of bars and those little houses with red lights :D

I am so busy I don't fish because I cannot sit still for too long

Claudiu
Fri 24 July 2009, 01:47
I don't fish because I cannot sit still for too long

Thats exactly the point.:)

Claudiu
Fri 24 July 2009, 02:09
I made some and I collect flashlights, my page about my creations: www.neoca.com.ar

Very nice wooden finish, I really like the polished ones ... Nice hobby :)

javeria
Fri 24 July 2009, 08:07
Ah I used to build hovercrafts

http://www.geocities.com/contactirfu/irfan/

http://www.geocities.com/mvithovercraft/

http://www.geocities.com/sevclub/

hope yahoo geocities don't take these sites down

hennie
Fri 24 July 2009, 09:03
My hobby became my bread & butter and I enjoy evey moment of it.I also do the HO scale model trains (old Lima SA ,blue train and some Marklin).

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 25 July 2009, 00:32
That reminds me. I have a big collection of N-scale Minitrix type trains. Just needs some new locomotives with digital drives.

Jan de Ruyter
Sat 25 July 2009, 00:36
Hi Doug,
And you guys are scared of the North Koreans?
Jan

hennie
Sat 25 July 2009, 00:56
Kobus there is a swopmeet in Boksburg I think once a month where you can spend a fortune if you need info call me.

Doug_Ford
Sat 25 July 2009, 08:21
Jan,

Yeah. I think we need to give that rocket builder a percentage of our defense budget so he can continue his research.:)

Doug_Ford
Thu 13 August 2009, 10:26
Is anyone else interested in stereo systems?

I just bought 2 of these Klipsch LaScala speakers from a guy in Canton, Mississippi. He had stored them in a chicken house for the past 1 1/2 years so they need a lot of cleaning. Yesterday, I cleaned two large wasp mud nests out of each of the mid-range horns which were completely stopped up. I plan to hang them in my garage. Right now, I'm "testing" them in the dining room on a "temporary" basis. My wife is elated. :D

These Klipsch speakers were made here in Arkansas in the 70s and are fully horn loaded. They are approximately 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide and deep and weigh more than 100 lbs each. Oh yeah, and they are REALLY loud which is something else my wife loves about them.:rolleyes:

domino11
Thu 13 August 2009, 11:21
Doug,
You really lucked out with those. I have a buddy that has a similar pair that I have been trying to get him to sell to me for years (to no avail). I have built many sets of speakers in my day, but have not done a horn loaded design. I hope maybe with the MM, it might be a bit easier. Did you get a good deal?
drool , drool. :)

lumberjack_jeff
Thu 13 August 2009, 11:39
I've always thought that building some translaminated speakers would be cool
http://www.htguide.com/forum/image.php4?u=9036&dateline=1196669226

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=23805&page=3&pp=35

Alan_c
Thu 13 August 2009, 12:55
That looks wicked, I think I can hear them over here...:p

For the uninitiated, what is a "horn loaded design" (sounds like a Rhino with a large one, - horn that is!)

domino11
Thu 13 August 2009, 13:47
Alan,
Check This
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_speaker) out for a small reference.

Doug_Ford
Thu 13 August 2009, 15:02
Thanks Alan and Heath. I paid $800 for the pair which is a fair deal but not exceptional. Since I'd dreamed of owning them since I was about 16 years old, I jumped on them when this set became available so closely. Klipsch still makes them but they sell for $3000 each!!! Of course, the new ones have a walnut veneer and look a little better than mine. :o

Thanks for the link Heath. Those are sharp Jeff. Our machines ought to easily make one of those.

PS. The discolored parts of my speaker are either dust\dirt or water from just being wiped down. The finish is a fairly decent coat of spray can black paint.

Claudiu
Mon 14 September 2009, 08:11
Between Enduro, Horn Speakers and MM, there´s always time to...:D

domino11
Mon 14 September 2009, 08:22
Claus,
Is that an alcohol still? :) You must be popular with your buddies. :)

Leko
Mon 14 September 2009, 08:59
Hey Sean....ROADTRIP!

Man, that is sexy.

isladelobos
Mon 14 September 2009, 09:31
the density of alchool is calculate temperature between the flotation level?

Nice steel !!!

Gerald D
Mon 14 September 2009, 11:28
82%!!

What is your sugar? Fruit?

Jan de Ruyter
Mon 14 September 2009, 11:44
You have my son's undivided attention. At 19 years old, anything with alcohol, wheels, speakers and anything that remotely resembles a female has his immediate attention.

(Not necessarily in that order and occasionally interrupted by a need to feed)

Claudiu
Mon 14 September 2009, 12:13
This time I prepared plums! I cant wait to get pears by the end of Sept.
This is a perfume machine...

kanankeban
Fri 02 October 2009, 21:41
You call them hobbies, I call them passions...
MotorBikes & everything involved with sea...I am a certified Diver & Love Sea Aquariums...
Here you can see my aquaium and my bike and me...

kooskoek
Sat 03 October 2009, 00:11
Nice bike, and I see you found Nemo

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 03 October 2009, 08:50
I like I like, but why are the knee scrapers so NEW ??:D...must be a new set...just joking enjoy.

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 03 October 2009, 08:59
This is how it should be done.

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 03 October 2009, 09:12
Other hobbies that keep me busy and out of trouble. My trusted 1.8 meter satellite dish. When we lived in Holland I managed to pick up South African channels with this baby....with the help of a modified receiver and some KEY's.

Today I casted a new bracket in the ground as I had it setup on some makeshift steel base with sandbags.

domino11
Sat 03 October 2009, 19:35
Kobus,
Can you still get anything with those things? I have an old one on one of my properties that I used about 8 years ago, but have not been into it since then.

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 03 October 2009, 22:30
Not as much as I managed to get in Holland as most of the SAT footprints are not aimed at South Africa. I pick up a lot of French channels that are beamed into Africa. I have a legal local DSTV subscription for normal viewing. This is just nice to see what you can get from time to time. Watched the Simpsons in French the other day on Canal Plus aimed at Madagascar

kanankeban
Sat 03 October 2009, 23:07
I like I like, but why are the knee scrapers so NEW ??:D...must be a new set...just joking enjoy.

Actually in that picture the bike and suit where new...:cool:
This is me driving, what you see there is a road with lots of cliffs you dont want to experiment sky diving on a bike so you have to take it slow. Track days are more fun there is where you can kneedrag freely...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYAdpnFfDPE

kanankeban
Sat 03 October 2009, 23:13
This is how it should be done.

No, No, No....this is kneedragging!!!!!!
Cheers!

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 04 October 2009, 03:14
Nice ride there Hector. Close to my house in Sabie Mpumalanga we have excellent roads for bikes. On most weekends people will travel 400 km to go and ride on those roads.

kooskoek
Mon 05 October 2009, 00:47
In my spare time, not working on mechmate, nor sucking this forum dry for info, I enjoy photography.

I saved up and bought a canon 1ds mkII a while back, I wanted to do take some snaps at a cricket game SA vs Australia, saved for 3 years to buy the kit, pride and joy is a 400mm Is f2.8 lense. PAid a forune for this only to be told by a hired security gaurd that i need to have a press pass to get into the match.

So now i am saving for a 4x4 so i can go on nature trips.

ifffff
Mon 05 October 2009, 02:24
Some pictures of my hobby.

kanankeban
Tue 06 October 2009, 13:54
Hey...that looks like lot of FUN!!!!

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 07 October 2009, 13:01
Has anybody have ideas how I can make one PARABOLIC panel as a mould if I want to make a really BIG satellite dish.
I read this on the internet somewhere ...
Engineers use the parabola formula (x-h)2=4p(y-k), to design and build satilite dishes.
As I am not an Engineer I don't know how to make use of this info.
All I need is to cut on old BBB one panel of the dish as a mould, then make 6 or 8 fiberglass panels, screw them together for the MONSTER I want to make....something around 4 meters diameter will do just fine.

Maybe I can cut pieces like this laminate them together

But then I have a problem to get the clover like pieces.

I am sure the easy way will be to get it in a 3d file and cut the thing out of foam, then make amould from this....but how do I get a 3d DXF file that I can import into Vectric's V-Carve Pro...it does not take STL files.

Any ideas ?

Jan de Ruyter
Wed 07 October 2009, 13:15
Hi Kobus,
I was interested in making a dish too, but to generate heat with. I have seen some fairly big dishes made of fibre glass, 2.4m in diameter. You are on the right track, that is to make one segment and bolt them together. I would make the mould and then vacuum bag it to increase the bond between the fibres and the resin. Saw one mould made out of cement, where a template is rotated around a centre. That way you can make the template on the MM (which you have done already). If you need space to do it, you can do it on my plot (Bredell), we can then share the mould.

Jan

isladelobos
Wed 07 October 2009, 15:37
OH !! you need one Arecibo dish :D

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 07 October 2009, 22:38
Thanks Jan will talk sometime...maybe we can share the mould.

Arecibo

Now where do I find a positioner to move this dish from east to west..:D

hennie
Thu 08 October 2009, 01:11
Kobus do you want to phone home with that dish:)

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 08 October 2009, 04:51
Long distance collect call ET...phone home...:D

Claudiu
Sun 15 November 2009, 05:41

First snow has arrived... now the fun part starts.;)

Greetings from Hills around ...

Robert M
Sun 15 November 2009, 13:26
Lucky you… snow..… some fun in the woods…. I’m really jealous! :cool:

riesvantwisk
Sun 15 November 2009, 17:19
- I used to be a radio amateur (PE1OYV)
- Like to make bonbons (chocolate) and been recently be on a course for it..
- Like to cook
- Writing software, which is how I currently make some money (from hobby to profession I guess)

- Mechmate is currently a hobby for making my own furniture in my house, what I can buy in Ecuador is only MDF and looks liek crap, or is imported and really expensive! I would like to do small parts for commerce, but not currently aiming for it, although I got my first request already to make signs.

Ries

Greolt
Sun 15 November 2009, 22:56
That' me.

Greg

sailfl
Mon 16 November 2009, 03:55
Greg

You wearing a suite so you can cut the wind?

Gerald D
Mon 16 November 2009, 03:59
That suit makes it easier to find all the body parts after a crash. . . :)

domino11
Mon 16 November 2009, 05:48
Actually I think it just help support the body while in flight. :) Crazy anyway, I dont like heights myself. :)

J.R. Hatcher
Mon 16 November 2009, 07:16
I don't think any of you guys are right ..... I think it's so you don't freeze your butt off!!!! Since I don't have any to begin with, I can't fly one of those things :D

Robert M
Mon 16 November 2009, 07:52
JR…I tend to think you’re mistaking butt with BALLS… LOL :D
Keep those warm as I’d think it would become mandatory to do this “so call ” hobby :eek:

gixi
Tue 17 November 2009, 07:16
Hector I didn't remember if I told you but 4 years ago this Busa was my pride an joy. A real and complete bike. This bike is good for long rides, speeding (even on a race track) and also in city. A real legend...:). This will be my next ride :D (I mean one like yours).

kanankeban
Wed 18 November 2009, 07:15
Marius,
I agree 100% with you...Im very happy with my busa, because I can do anything of the things you mention, long rides, track, trips etc...very complete bike. With this bike and a good rider,of course me :D I been able to keep the pace or even ride harder, that R1's, Ducati´s in Track or Twisties...Here you go with a pic of my last track day...

domino11
Wed 18 November 2009, 08:27
Hector, is that not hard on the knees? :)

kanankeban
Tue 16 March 2010, 17:31
Heath,
No way...actually you dont seat on the knees, you use them as an indicator of inclination angle, like a probe, you sense the ground,they give you a sense of inclination.