PDA

View Full Version : Making Bar Signs! #71 - Brisbane, Australia

Pages : [1] 2

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 11 July 2009, 05:18
Hi,

Quick introduction, as I have got so much reading to do!!
I am totally new to this sort of thing and come from a Shopfitting Joinery background but with no CNC experience. I am looking forward to the journey, just need to find my way before taking my first steps.
Looking to mainly wood carving and acrylic fabrication, anyway enough for now and feel free to throw any advice this way.

Cheers
Tony.

sailfl
Sat 11 July 2009, 05:49
Tony,

Welcome.

Print off the plans and start reading the threads. You will learn as you read and you need the plans for reference.

Good luck.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 11 July 2009, 06:31
Hi,

Plans were the first thing I downloaded :) reading some of the threads now on some of the Australian builds that are currently underway, just so much to take in, but thoroughly enjoying the experience.

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 20 July 2009, 18:50
Hi,

Purchased my control panel last night, which is my first purchase towards getting my Mechmate underway.
Such a great buy I could not resist, guess that's me hooked now!! lol.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_4924.jpg

Screen is a touch screen and after loading Mach3 onto the computer last night all worked a treat. There is also heaps of room in the metal cabinet for all the other electronic equipment so this should do the job well.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_4926.jpg

Guess I need to start ordering some laser cut parts, steel and electronic equipment now so I can put this control panel to some good use. :)

Cheers
Tony.

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 20 July 2009, 23:10
I wish we could get those here in South Africa :mad: at a good price I must add.

javeria
Wed 22 July 2009, 04:52
Ah that's a lot sweeter than my cabinet! can we see how the interiors look??? i think its dust free interiors right??

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 22 July 2009, 05:09
I will get some pics up for you soon!!
Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 22 July 2009, 19:54
Check this thread for internal photos of the control panel my friend Paul has one also.
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1870

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 28 July 2009, 01:52
Hi,

My MM is now underway with some good news from Rick, my laser cut parts are underway.
I have also decided that my MM will be made to take a 2440mm x 1220mm sheet size, so now I just have to work out what size/length all my steel needs to be.
I will also be looking to start purchasing Motors, Gecko's, BOB, and still looking at spindle/router options.

Cheers
Tony

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 28 July 2009, 21:14
Hi,

So with regards to the lengths and widths of the steel I will be using on the table, do I use the drawings and just add the X and Y size of my sheet to the additional sizes noted on the drawings, or is there someone that has already worked out all the metal sizes based on a sheet size of 2440mm x 1220mm that can help me out ??

Thanks for any help and advice.

Cheers
Tony.

Gerald D
Wed 29 July 2009, 00:17
do I use the drawings and just add the X and Y size of my sheet to the additional sizes noted on the drawing

Yes, that is the intention, and it seems to work.

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 29 July 2009, 02:14
Thanks Gerald,

I just wanted to be sure as I have never taken on a project of this nature let alone steel work before.
I guess my next step would be to workout a cutting list for each of the steel types, so that I know how many meters of each I need, then source what is available locally.
If anyone in Aus has already done a cutting list for the table based on the sheet size I am working too, please feel free to chip in.

Cheers
Tony.

David T.
Mon 10 August 2009, 06:01
Tony (AuS MaDDoG) & Paul (Skippy),
This post maybe just too slow, but I need to ask the question, I'm a "Mexican" from down south (Melbourne) seeking assistance from a bender (banana) in tracking down one of those free standing computer consuls, either type will do.
Can either of you point me in the right direction, hopefully in Melbourne, as the freight from Brisbane would possibly double the cost, I would appreciate your help.
Thank you and Regards
David T.

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 10 August 2009, 17:38
No Worries David,

Info as requested, good luck in tracking one down!!

There are 2 versions available, they are advertised on ebay

version 1

15" Touch Screen LCD Kiosk System with External Keyboard/Trackball

Unit comes with a SFF Desktop PC inside:
Intel Celeron 2.00GHz
256MB DDR
40GB Hard Disk.
CDROM, Wifi
Microsoft Windows XP Pro COA.
External Keyboard with trackball mouse.
15" Touchscreen Panel EFL-1501X.
Swecoin TTP 8200 Kiosk Thermal Printer.
Built-in Surge protection.
Front mounted headphone Jack.
Dimensions: (H x L x D): 116cm x 69cm x 76cm.

version 2

15" Touch Screen LCD Kiosk System

Unit comes with a SFF Desktop PC inside:
Intel Celeron 2.00GHz
256MB DDR
40GB Hard Disk
CDROM, Wifi
Microsoft Windows XP Pro COA
Keyboard included for maintenance and setup.
15" Touchscreen Panel EFL-1501X
Swecoin TTP 8200 Kiosk Thermal Printer.
Built-in surge protection.
Front mounted headphone Jack.
Dimensions: (H x L x D): 135cm x 69cm x 63cm

Computer Source Australia Pty Ltd

(02)9746 1966

We send Australia wide. Please enquire for quote.
Pick up welcome from the following locations:
Sydney: Homebush Bay
Melbourne: Braeside
Brisbane: Stafford
We have 100+ in stock.

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 12 August 2009, 04:56
Update!!

My friend Paul (Skippy) and I are both in the planning and purchasing stages of our MM build.
We both have our control panels, including touch screens, Paul has his laser cut and bent parts and I am waiting on mine arriving from Rick. Paul recently ordered our motors which should arrive within the next couple of weeks.
In the meantime not being familiar with what is available in steel I have found the following sections appear to be available, however I am not sure if it is too heavy or not, so any help would be appreciated as I do not want to over or under do things.
Once I have this finalised I will draw the table up in cad and produce my cutting list.

Steel & Spec's
Table legs to be 75 x 75 x 6mm Box 6 off 7.32 Kg/m
Rails & Bracing to be 50 x 50 x 6mm Box 12.0 Kg/m
Y cross bearers to be 75 x 40mm Channel 6.1mm Flange & 3.8mm web 5.92 Kg/m
Main Longitudnal Beams 200 x 75mm Channel 12mm Flange & 6mm web 22.9 Kg/m
X and Y rail angles 65 x 50 x 6mm 5.16 Kg/m
Y axis gantry rails 100 x 50mm x 2mm Box 4.5 Kg/m

If anyone can see any issues with the above please let me know asap.

Cheers
Tony.

David T.
Wed 12 August 2009, 06:18
Hi Tony,
Thank you for the info on the Kiosk Computers, unfortunately I was too slow as there are no more available, maybe next time I will be quicker.
Regards
David T.

MattyZee
Wed 12 August 2009, 18:06
Hey Tony,
Thats list of steel sections looks very close to what i used except you are going for a heavier wall than me.
The only differences to what i used are:
70x70x3 (legs) (may have been 75x75x3?)
50x50x2.5 (bracing)
180x75 PFC for the (main rails) (11mm flange, 6mm web, 20.9kg/m)

You list looks good though i don't think you will need 6mm wall thickness for the leags and bracing. Mine is rock solid and weighs enough as it is!

Gerald D
Wed 12 August 2009, 20:42
Those legs and bracing will be okay at 4mm wall thickness.

MattyZee
Wed 12 August 2009, 20:56
are you implying i went too thin Gerald? I think 3mm is plenty...

Gerald D
Wed 12 August 2009, 21:19
A guy who was thinking of 6mm won't half it to 3. Then 4mm sounds like a nice number without losing face. :)

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 12 August 2009, 23:00
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!!
Like I said I have no idea when it comes to steel or sizing, I just read a couple of times heavier appeared to be better:D
The steel I sourced mainly to get the sizes and to seek your recommendations as too whether it was too heavy or not??
If 3mm thick wall on the legs and bracing will do the job, and do it well, then 3mm it is!! as it will probably save us a few $$ as well as my back which is not as good as it used to be :)

Thanks for the info guys!! now to start my drawings and cutting list / takeoffs.

Cheers
Tony.

Gerald D
Thu 13 August 2009, 01:01
I am trying to be a diplomat here. . . . go thicker than 3 if you can. :)

MattyZee
Thu 13 August 2009, 01:50
I hear you Gerald, loud and clear! :rolleyes:

Just to prove i didn't wing it, Beam stiffness is a function of elastic modulus and cross section moment of inertia. Given we are considering the same material it comes down to cross section.

Legs as per Drg 10 10 332
75x40 parallel flange channel
Ixx 6.83x10E-7m^4
Iyy 1.20x10E-7m^4

compared to 75x75x3
Ixx=Iyy=7.16x10E-7m^4

Long Braces as per drg 10 10 312
50x4 Circular hollow section
Ixx=Iyy 1.54x10E-7m^4

compared to 50x50x3
Ixx=Iyy 1.95x10E-7m^4

So the 3mm wall should still be stiffer than the drawings require :p

Gerald D
Sun 16 August 2009, 07:05
Matt, your table will be good. Realise that we are not looking for bending stiffness of the legs and associated parts, so the I factors are not really relevant there. We are looking mainly for plain old mass. But your masses also calculate out okay.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 16 August 2009, 22:24
Hi,

My laser cut parts from Rick arrived today :D Thx Rick!!
Parts were very well packaged and look great!!
Slowly getting there, Once I get the steel all sorted out for the tables we should start to see some serious progress with Paul (Skippy) and my MM's
Can't wait to get this show on the road so to speak!!

Will post some pics later.

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 17 August 2009, 02:27
Hi All,

As promised here are the photos of my laser cut parts I received from Rick today, thanks Rick they look to be of great quality!!

Well boxed as you can see.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_4936.jpg

Well packaged too.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_4937.jpg

Parts after I removed all the packing materials and bubble wrap.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_4938.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_4939.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

skippy
Tue 18 August 2009, 05:34
Tony

Rick's laser cut parts look ready good, I see that he packed the same way that he sent them to me Which was great. Looks like that we got the new roller skate version, I might need to use yours instead on mine.

Regards
Paul

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 18 August 2009, 08:00
Haha!!

No worries Paul, I'm sure it will do the job for the both of us!! I should be able to borrow one of those Makita metal saws for cutting down the angle rails too, which should help speed the machining process and make the grinding of the V process much easier. :D

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 01 September 2009, 02:16
Hi All,

Update:- Our motors have arrived in Aus from Canada with one box of 5 recieved, and the other box of 5 in customs :(

I have done this drawing just to get some idea as too where I am heading with the table length, and thought I would post it up for comment, and for my peace of mind that it is right.

As said before the sheet size I am planning to work around is 2440mm x 1220mm. I think I have the correct sizes for the length of the table and once I am sure this is right I will work on doing a drawing for the width.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/MechmateTable_Model.jpg

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers
Tony.

Gerald D
Tue 01 September 2009, 04:14
Tony, that looks right, with your "home" end at the left.

I presume that you will be using a cable chain for the X? We use a harness/umbilical hanging from under the table to the end of the gantry, but then we need a space where you have the center leg.

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 01 September 2009, 05:07
Thanks Gerald,

This is truly an amazing setup you have here, with a plethora of info into the making of this great machine, well done!!
Yes the plan is to use the E-Chain so that should be all good.
Ok, so that all appears to be good, so I will start my drawing for the end elevation of the table and then a plan view I guess.

Cheers
Tony.

sailfl
Tue 01 September 2009, 05:23
Tony,

You might want to square off a portion of the channel ends. Sharp ends are no fun to bump into.

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 01 September 2009, 05:28
Agreed!!

As long as it is not going to have an impact on getting my 2 main beams from the same length of steel. Will check it out, and make the necessary change :)

Thanks
Tony.

MattyZee
Wed 02 September 2009, 05:20
Hey Tony,

Sorry its taken me a while to get back to you. Your drawing looks good. My lengths are slightly different. The main difference is my last leg is on the other side of the last cross bearer. i.e. your 2266 dimension is 2435. Other than that its pretty much the same. I'm personally not a fan of the angled end look and kept mine straight. Not sure if you've got prices for steel yet, but 'One Steel' gave me the same per price 'per metre' for full lengths as for part lengths. So you may not have to worry about getting both sides form the one full length.
I will try and dig up my drawing for the table width now.

cheers
matt

MattyZee
Wed 02 September 2009, 05:34
ok, found my drawings. Here is my original side view. I preferred the 45 deg end angles but i didn't have a cut off saw capable of cutting it so i went with straight ends.

Heres my end view with a couple of dimensions to hep you calculate lengths.

let me know if you want more.

Cheers

Alan_c
Wed 02 September 2009, 14:58
Small angle grinder with a thin disk works very well at trimming the ends, I did all my crossbearers and main beams with it.

smreish
Wed 02 September 2009, 18:27
Alan,
Just like cutting down the rails...just easier! Good point to bring up again!

Gerald D
Thu 03 September 2009, 00:51
Discovering good thin disks for small angle grinders was like discovering a whole new way of metalworking.

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 03 September 2009, 02:06
Thanks Matt,

Question - In your first drawing what dimension do you have overall from your first steel channel to your last steel channel where your spoil board sits. My drawing is showing 2422mm which is 18mm shorter in length than the finished sheet size of 2440mm, is that how it should be ?? or does it really not matter.

Thanks for the heads up on the thin cutting discs :)

Cheers
Tony.

MattyZee
Thu 03 September 2009, 04:12
My overall dimension for the cross bearers is exactly 2400. Your 2422 would probably better but i don't think it really matters. I'm planning on putting a vertical table section at the end of the table to do mortising and dovetail joints (same concept as here (http://www.shopbottools.com/garysmusings.htm)) So my vertical table section will prob be 25mm and i will surface the end flush with the top of the main table. Does that make sense?

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 03 September 2009, 04:53
Thanks again Matt.

Done another quick drawing for the width of the table being the "Y" again I am reasonably confident that the dimensions are correct but no harm in checking :)

Next on the list now, is the cutting list so I can quantify the amount of steel required.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/MechmateTableWidth_Model.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 27 September 2009, 02:18
Hi,

Motors finally arrived after being held up in customs for three or four weeks, Big thanks to Paul (Skippy) for his efforts in arranging the buy and following up with customs.
So without further delay here are a couple of pics!! you can see in the background my all in one printer and Laptop as a size comparison!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/P9270807.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/P9270810.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 27 September 2009, 19:27
Metal Cutting List

From my drawings above and a cutting sheet size of 2440 x 1220mm I have worked out my main steel required for the table build. If anyone thinks I have missed anything out please let me know.

So here we go!!

75 x 75 x 3mm Box = 6 @ 720mm (legs)
50 x 50 x 3mm Box = 6 @ 1500mm (Y axis top & bottom cross rails)
50 x 50 x 3mm Box = 4 @ 1025mm (X axis bottom side rails)
50 x 50 x 3mm Box = 4 @ 1090mm (X axis diagonal braces)
50 x 50 x 3mm Box = 6 @ 720mm (Y axis diagonal braces)
76 x 38mm PFC = 8 @ 1640mm (Y axis cross supports)
200 x 75mm PFC = 2 @ 3040mm (X axis main beams)
65 x 50 x 6mm Angle = 2 @ 3380mm (X axis v rails)
65 x 50 x 6mm Angle = 2 @ 2080mm (y axis v rails)
100 x 50 x 3mm Box = 2 @ 1770mm (Y axis gantry rails) (Purchased 50mm longer than needed so they can be cut to size later)(Finished length will be 1720mm)

Let the fun begin!!
Cheers.
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 01 October 2009, 03:42
Hi All,

Recieved my steel quote the other day, $1190.00 all cut to size including delivery.
I'm not up to date on steel pricing but I thought this was pretty reasonable.
Steel will be ordered shortly and the build will begin!!:D

Cheers
Tony.

MattyZee
Thu 01 October 2009, 05:13
Yeah, thats sounds about right. Pretty good actually, better than what i paid for mine. Looking forward to seeing your build progressing!

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 05 October 2009, 18:32
Thanks Matt, ordered and paid for our steel today, for table builds for both Paul (Skippy's) table and my table.
I have requested they deliver the steel on 16/09/09 hopefully that will give me enough time to clear the junk out of my garage and clear some space for the steel and provide enough room to get the table build underway:D
I cannot wait to get this baby underway!! I'm starting to get excited!!

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 15 October 2009, 05:53
The Steel for both Paul (Skippy) and my table arrived two days earlier than planned, and as usual I was out of town on business. Luckily I had it delivered via a crane truck who kindly off loaded it into my front yard.
Now I just have to move it all into my garage.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0055.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0054.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0056.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0057.jpg

Guess I just got to find some time now to start the build.

Cheers
Tony.

Alan_c
Thu 15 October 2009, 06:19
How cool is that, some of it is already blue...:D now the fun starts, hope you have some willing helpers to move it all, enjoy.

Besser
Thu 15 October 2009, 07:20
hope your neighbors dont freak it! Tell them you're building a mobile phone tower in the front yard! hehe

So the question is, DO YOU PAINT IT NOW?

domino11
Thu 15 October 2009, 07:24
If the neighbors freak, then just ask them for help to move it! :)

smreish
Thu 15 October 2009, 13:07
Wow....That's some beefy channel. Jealous I am.

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 16 October 2009, 01:51
Alan you made me laugh with that comment about it already being blue!! not the right colour blue though !!

Haha with the mobile tower in the front yard, bet I had them all wondering though!! Think I'm going with the assemble, then pull apart what I can, then paint!!

Had my son and his mate move the large PFC's however I had to do the rest, took some time to move it too, but all done now, and undercover out of the weather.

The channel is 200mm x 75mm PFC and yep very beefy and awfully heavy!! glad I had the young fella's to move those for me!!

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 19 October 2009, 03:29
Ok,

I need to start looking at what is required for the V rollers and axles and whether or not there are any local suppliers here in Aus. I also need to source what is required in the way of bearings for the skate so again if anyone has any info on what is required and again local suppliers please let me know.

Cheers
Tony.

Jayson
Mon 19 October 2009, 20:22
Hi Tony,

I made my rollers originally and had good results from them. However they were not perfect so I purchased some and upgraded. It was a while ago when I did this but after ringing around the best price I could find locally was AU$70 per roller. I ended up ordering then from Rick at Superior Bearing Company. I was very happy with the service and the price. The bearings for the skate elude me at the moment I will have a look when I get a chance if no one else beats me to it.

Regards,

Jayson.

Bumole
Tue 20 October 2009, 20:20
Tony

Have a look at this seller on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6301-2RS-12x37x12mm-sealed-deep-groove-ball-bearings_W0QQitemZ360133186093QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item53d99c522d I sourced these bearings from him for my skate but I have not built it yet, so I can't tell you how they went. Hope this helps.

javeria
Wed 21 October 2009, 09:48
G' this thread need's to be moved to "under construction"

Gerald D
Wed 21 October 2009, 10:11
Somebody else must have moved it already - Thanks!

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 22 October 2009, 21:37
Thanks Guys,

Hopefully we will be starting the table builds shortly, still gathering materials and parts. Not sure as too whether or not we are going to tackle the welding ourselves or have someone help us out.
I have a trip to the UK coming up in a couple of weeks, so there is not going to be too much happening, hopefully after that we can get stuck into it.

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 08 November 2009, 06:25
I am currently in the UK. Looking forward to getting things happening when I get back to Australia.

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 26 November 2009, 18:36
Hi All,

I'm back in Australia and ready to get things rolling along again!!
Skippy and I are looking to move on our racks and pinions and I was wondering if someone can confirm the lengths required for our tables.

Table size is 2440mm x 1220mm

Would I be correct in saying that lengths required are as follows.

X axis = 2440+185 = X Axis Racks 2625mm
Y axis = 1220+155 = Y Axis Racks 1375mm

Z axis = ?????????? Im not sure what is required for this one and not sure how I calculate it so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Tony.

Robert M
Thu 26 November 2009, 20:01
Hi Tony,

Worried….:confused: We all go through this… Yep, you’re on the right “track” :D with your math ….
X = Your X length + 185 and for Y = your Y distance + 155 !

Now for Z, have a look at this work (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13481&postcount=21)I did, trying to explain fully how to figure your Z !
Enjoy, Amicalement, Robert ;)

Gerald D
Thu 26 November 2009, 20:03
Drawing M2 10 120 or M2 10 124

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 26 November 2009, 20:36
Hi,

Thanks guys, so I am all good with the X & Y I have read through your link Robert and I'm afraid I still do not get it.
My X beams are 180mm we will be mostly cutting sheet with nothing too bulky in height, but do not want to restrict our cutting height too much either.
I have referred to the drawings M2 10 120 & M2 10 124 am I better sticking with the M2 10 120 for stronger better cutting and how do I work out what the max cutting thickness would be going with the 250mm Z Rack.

I knew I should have stuck to working with timber :D

Cheers
Tony

Gerald D
Thu 26 November 2009, 21:54
Tony, the standard MechMate drawings allow you to build a choice of two z-slide assemblies; either 10 40 000 A (250mm) or 10 40 014 A (350mm). That is the choice that you have to make, and the rack length follows from that.

Originally, only the 250mm was offered, but a lot of guys wanted to cut thick soft material. So, the 350 option was added with a lot of cautions about its ability to cut thin hard material. A discussion about that is at 350mm [14"] Extended Z-Slide - what does it mean? (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549)

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 26 November 2009, 22:44
Thanks Gerald,

Sounds like the 250mm one will do the job and provide better cutting on the thinner type boards.

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 03 December 2009, 05:45
Hi All,

As Paul (skippy) has the racks and pinions underway, I thought I had better get busy with the cutting & Grinding discs. Ordered 50 of each and should be here in a day or two. They are also supposed to be of INOX quality.

Link to where I got them.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/THIN-CUTTING-DISCS-DISKS-WHEELS-CUT-OFF-METAL-STEEL-x50_W0QQitemZ120500740469QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_BnI _Woodworking_Metalworking?hash=item1c0e676175

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 18 January 2010, 02:15
UPDATE!!

I am still here, haha!! and still collecting bits and pieces for the build.
Spindle and mount arrived thx to Skippy, Rack and pinions have arrived thx to surfcnc, although we have a small issue with the pinions but we are working on it hey Ross :D
Bought the bearings, bolts, nuts and washers from a couple of local shops today for the skate so getting closer to slicing up those angles :)
Also ordered my 5 x Geckos on the weekend so hopefully they should be here in another few days.
Still lots to get but getting there.

Hopefully the build will progress at blinding speed once we eventually start ;)

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 19 January 2010, 00:56
UPDATE!!

Photo of the cutting discs I bought through Ebay, certainly look the part lets hope they cut and grind ok.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0264.jpg

Spindle, VFD and spindle mount thanks to Paul for our little group buy(Skippy)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0262.jpg

Closer shot of the spindle
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0263.jpg

Bearings, bolts, nuts and washers for the skate.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0261.jpg

And last but not least the Gecko's
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0260.jpg

Next on the list is the following :D
4 x PMDX-125 Multi-Mode Breakout Board (2 for skippy & 2 for me)
2 x PMDX-107 Isolated Speed Control (1 for skippy and 1 for me)

Cheers
Tony.

skippy
Tue 19 January 2010, 04:56
Tony
Looking good! Where is my gecko key ring? ;)

Regards
Paul

skippy
Tue 19 January 2010, 05:00
I thought the gecko keyring was was going to open bottles as well. The only way I can see that it does it is between the hind leg and the tail all depending of what it is made of.

Regards

Paul

MattyZee
Tue 19 January 2010, 05:02
Nice progress Tony.
One query with your last post, why are you buying two PMDX-125's each? Do you plan on having one spare?
Also, if you want to save some money i have written a plugin for Mach3 to control those Huanyang VFD's. It controls speed and displays actual speed and current draw. All you need is a USB to RS485 converter (~$30 on ebay).

Gerald D
Tue 19 January 2010, 05:12
Gecko does not include the gifts for export orders because it causes Customs problems on the receiving end.

MattyZee
Tue 19 January 2010, 05:14
I've got 3 keyrings, from each of my orders over the years (including last year). I think its only the soft toys they don't shipo on export orders. the keyring's are easier to hide....

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 19 January 2010, 05:46
Nice progress Tony.
One query with your last post, why are you buying two PMDX-125's each? Do you plan on having one spare?
Also, if you want to save some money i have written a plugin for Mach3 to control those Huanyang VFD's. It controls speed and displays actual speed and current draw. All you need is a USB to RS485 converter (~$30 on ebay).

Hi Matt,

Hows things mate?? we are planning on adding a fifth motor for an indexer hence the 2 x Bob's. I think Skippy is going to PM you re your plugin.

Cheers
Tony.

MattyZee
Tue 19 January 2010, 14:49
I thought the PMDX-125's can handle two parallel ports, so you should have plenty of options for connecting the 4th axis connections. To quote the PMDX website "Supports 4 additional high speed outputs using a second port or the SmoothStepper" i.e. connect you 4 main motors to J1 -J4 and the 4th Axis to J5
Haven't done this myself, just thinking it might save you $US164

Are you planning on using a smoothstepper?

MattyZee
Tue 19 January 2010, 15:14
Have a read of section 2.3 of the manual (http://www.pmdx.com/Doc/PMDX-125_Manual_10.pdf) Looks like you can connect a 5th axis to a single PMDX-125.

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 21 January 2010, 02:59
:D This should make all the holes to be drilled a little bit easier!!:D

Waiting on my cold cutting saw to arrive as well, should make cutting all the angles on the braces and trimming to exact size a little easier.:D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0267.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

sailfl
Thu 21 January 2010, 03:10
Nice piece of equipment. I like the big handle on the side.

skippy
Thu 21 January 2010, 03:23
Now that's why you wasn't home today.:D

KenC
Thu 21 January 2010, 04:15
There should be quit a bit of lifting required.
I use this instead.

Small, 13mm chuck with 350W motor just enough for all the Mechmate drilling. I don't have to lift the beam & other steel for drilling. Make a world of difference when working alone.

Surfcnc
Thu 21 January 2010, 04:19
Sure makes things easy Tony - you can now cross 1HP 160 - 3000 RPM drill press off the life list. Nice one.

skippy
Thu 21 January 2010, 05:03
Now that's why you wasn't home today.:D

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 21 January 2010, 05:05
I sure hope so Ross!! a couple of suitable weight rated height adjustable roller stands each side of the drill press should make for real easy going :D

Ken, trouble I have with doing everything down low like that is it makes it very tough on the back kneeling and bending down all the time, especially with the problems I have with my back, much easier for me to have things at a nice workable height:D

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Thu 21 January 2010, 05:30
That's why I have this make-shift stool... The height can't be more perfect for the job :D

& a pair of knee guard... :)

Gerald D
Thu 21 January 2010, 05:47
Do your hire shops have magnetic base drills (http://images.google.co.za/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4IRFA_enZA315ZA315&um=1&sa=1&q=magnetic+base+drill&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&start=0)?

KenC
Thu 21 January 2010, 05:53
Magnetic base drill is the tool for the job but unfortunately, from where I'm from, there isn't any hire shop. Buying one for one off job is not sensible thing to do & I can't find anyone who I can borrow one from.... :(

Even with a magnetic base drill, you will need a stool to work comfortably ;)

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 22 January 2010, 00:57
Do your hire shops have magnetic base drills (http://images.google.co.za/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4IRFA_enZA315ZA315&um=1&sa=1&q=magnetic+base+drill&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&start=0)?

Yes you can hire the magnetic drills here in australia Gerald, I just like adding gear to my little workshop :D only problem is if I keep going at this rate I will need a bigger worshop :p

My 355mm Cold Cut saw arrived today so keep an eye out!! steel prep work should be starting soon!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0268-1.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Fri 22 January 2010, 01:57
WOOO! How I wished I have one of those, chopping the channel to size with a fiber disc chopper need lots of patient & is nerve racking.

Regnar
Fri 22 January 2010, 18:35
You could look for a Cole Vise Drill if you dont want to spend the money on a magnetic base drill. For warning this is manual drill but it feeds with each turn. Rumor has it you can drill through a file with HSS drills! More info on the tool can be found here http://rustyiron.com/engines/coledrill/index.html

J.R. Hatcher
Sun 24 January 2010, 16:10
Russell, I've had one of these for about 5 years. Never knew what it was, mine came without a chuck and is a #7. Thanks for the link ............ a drill ...... well I'll be, now I know.

sailfl
Sun 24 January 2010, 16:17
Russell, cool looking drill.

Tony, you need to cut some steel. That saw is too clean, it needs some dirt.

KenC
Sun 24 January 2010, 19:06
that cold drill is soo cool...

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 27 January 2010, 16:51
Hi,

I have not been able to get the cold saw dirty as yet, as I have been lying flat out in bed since last Saturday with back issues again.
So today I ordered our 4 x PMDX-125 Multi-Mode Breakout Boards.
I cannot wait to get started on this baby now, but unfortunately I just need to give my back some time to come good again.

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Wed 27 January 2010, 22:25
Sorry to hear your back problem.
I share the same problem, spend a fair bit of money at the chropractitioner far many year. Until I picked up Pilates, I bought a few books & practice at home & after 3 years, the back problem is almost gone. IMHO most back problem is mainly due to bad posture...

Gerald D
Wed 27 January 2010, 22:31
Building (and operating) a big MM should carry a warning about potential back problems. This thing is BIG and the parts (+ boards) are heavy. The main table is about at dining table height, which is ideal for a seated operator, but a bit low for stooping.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 31 January 2010, 01:35
Hi All,

After a week of resting my back, I decided to make a start on the steel checking and cutting legs, rails and bracing to finished sizes, also ground the ends of the steel in preperation for welding, and cut most of the angles on the bracing for most of the table.

The new cold saw works a treat cuts through the steel with ease like cutting butter and is very quick providing a nice clean cut.

I also cut all the Y support channels to size and cut the angles to all the ends of these channels also.

I still have some more cutting of braces to do but certainly getting there now with not much left to cut.

After probably another day of cutting and grinding all the table steel should be finished.
Then it will be on to the main X beams and the cutting / grinding of the V angles :(

So here are some pics from today !!

My new Cold Saw finaly got a few scratches on it and got a little dirty :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0270.jpg

Really pleased and happy with the qaulity of the cuts :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0273.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0274.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0276.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0275.jpg

All the Y frames pre cut and ready for welding :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0272.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Sun 31 January 2010, 01:42
That's the sort of recovery we like to see Tony. Pleased for you that the cuts have been so accurate.
regards
Ross

skippy
Sun 31 January 2010, 02:47
Just saw the pics it must be great to have the right tools for the job. looks like we may need to start welding soon.

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 03 February 2010, 02:34
4 x Bob's have arrived!! :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0293.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Wed 03 February 2010, 04:05
Break out Boards by the handful I see. There has got to be a LOT of wires coming out of those boards. Now call Paul (AKA skippy) and have him go without sleep until a stepper is turning.

Thanks for the steel cuts today - very much appreciated.

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 05 February 2010, 01:53
Paul is onto it Ross!! lots of reading being done I think and bits and pieces being sought.
I managed to get a little bit more done later this afternoon, bought the adjustable feet for both tables, they are also on a ball swivel to help take up any out of level discrepencies.
I also bought some 75 x 8mm flat bar for the ends of the main X beams and for the foot plates of both tables which I have already cut and ground as well as centre punched ready for drilling and tapping.
Cold cut saw is certainly earning its keep :D

I also managed to cut the bevels on the ends of the Y support channels for the second table this afternoon, so the only thing left to cut now are the table braces for along the length of the X frames for both tables and thats all the steel pre cut, except for the Main X beams and all the V rails, which Im really not looking forward too:eek:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0296.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0297.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0298.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

kostas5
Sat 20 February 2010, 17:13
HI ALL
I come from Poland and i dont know where to buy laser cut parts and another parts frome
some one can help me where i can order for my planing mechmate cnc .
thanke you for all

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 21 February 2010, 04:13
Pm sent Kosta!!

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 14 March 2010, 01:52
Hi All,

Have not been around much lately, my real job keeps getting in the way :) I took some time today and cut the last of the braces for the table. I was also able to cut all the short bevel cuts on one end of the braces but had to cut the other long bevel cut using the thin cutting disc's which worked well.

I also cut and bent all the end plates ready for welding to the ends of the main parallel flanged channels which should finish them off nicely!!

So now all the steel for both skippy's and my table is pre cut and ready for welding:D that is all apart from the cutting and grinding of the v rails and the actual cutting of the angles to the ends of the main parallel flanged channels which I will cut as soon as I can get someone to give me a hand to move them;) Jeeeeezzzzz they are heavy :D

should be welding in another week or two hopefully:)

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 18 March 2010, 05:09
Got in from work this afternoon and thought I would drill and tap all the foot plates for both our tables.
Was going great until I realised the largest drill bit I had was 13mm and guess what!! I need a 14mm drill bit for a 16mm x 2 tap:mad:
So off to the hardware tomorrow to buy a 14mm drill bit.

Cheers
Tony.

Gerald D
Thu 18 March 2010, 07:28
Be careful, a 14mm bit doesn't fit in the common 1/2" chuck. You might need to get a 14mm with "reduced shank" if your chuck can't go bigger.

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 18 March 2010, 15:41
Thanks Gerald, as usual you are on the ball :)
My drill press will take over 14mm so all good but yeh that would catch some out for sure.

Thanks
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 19 March 2010, 05:48
Drilling and tapping of the foot plates all done!!:D we are now ready for the welding of the tables to begin :cool:

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Fri 19 March 2010, 05:52
Do spend some time dry fitting the foot plates to ensure the tapped holes have enough clearance from the channel walls.

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 19 March 2010, 05:56
Hi Ken,

No worries there mate!! the legs of our tables are 75 x 75 x 3mm Box, I have cut 75 x 75 x 8mm flat with an M16 tapped hole in the centre to take the adjustable foot, so well clear of everything.

Thanks.

KenC
Fri 19 March 2010, 06:03
That's great, I had to redo my foot plate because I tried to drill the hole on the centroid of the channel legs :o

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 22 March 2010, 03:08
Finaly managed to get to the local fastner company and picked up some screws to allow attachment of the skate to my Bosch grinder. so all good!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0356.jpg

Skate is sitting nice and flat to the grinder head.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0357.jpg

And just for Ken!! here is a photo of our table feet all cut drilled and tapped.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0359.jpg

And our gas bottle arrived today also, so we are all ready to rock now!!:D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0358.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Mon 22 March 2010, 03:36
Brace yourself for some serious adrenaline rush! WOOHOOO!!!

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 23 March 2010, 02:17
I managed to wrestle one of the main X beams up onto my saw stool and made my first cuts on the ends of the main X beams this afternoon using the thin cutting discs. Was surprised at how easy it was to cut them!!
I now need to get cracking with the rest of them, but might need to wait until I can get a hand to move them :mad:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0361.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0362.jpg

Soon be time for the rails:eek:

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Tue 23 March 2010, 03:16
Move the saw to the tool. should save some back strain.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 27 March 2010, 02:21
Hi Again !!

Got busy again today, and managed to get all the main X beams cut for both tables.
Now I know why I stuck to working with timber, haha!! much easier to cut and also much lighter to throw around. To be honest I am enjoying the build and the working with the steel :)
I also spot welded all the bent end plates to all the main X beams and ground them to fit as well as removing all the sharp edges, came up well if I may say so. Especially for an amature :D
Any way here are the pics from today.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0363.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0367.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0366-1.jpg

Table is now ready for full build and full welding!! :)

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Sat 27 March 2010, 02:36
Nice progress Tony and very neat work.
Regards
Ross

KenC
Sat 27 March 2010, 02:52
Tony,
Good job!
By this time, you already know the difference between woodworking & steel working.Your trestle/saw horse looks flimsy for the beams to my eye, do work carefully. Those beams are heavy!

Here, we work with the steel as close to ground as possible, especially when working short handed. (have a look at my building log) less lifting & less falling too ;)

Hang in there!

MetalHead
Sat 27 March 2010, 05:25
Grest progress Tony. I like steel because you can weld up errors :D !!!

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 29 March 2010, 01:55
Thanks Guys,

I have been doing a little more prep work check measuring everything as well as marking everything and double checking sizes before the welding starts. I am more than happy that everything is now good to go. Not sure on my welding ability though so seeking some help in that department. I might also gain some free welding lessons at the same time ;)

The boss checking the latest progress

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0369.jpg

The centre legs of the base table in position all straight and square and clamped into position on the main X beams.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0373-1.jpg

Hopefully welding should start very soon, and should not take too long to have both tables complete.
Garage is now a little bit better organised with a bit more space to work in, although still needs a little bit more to squeeze both tables in :eek:

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 31 March 2010, 04:59
Welding has started !!! :D

Gave my cousins partner a hand to bring his 250amp Mig welder to my place this afternoon, boy does he make this welding stuff look easy, and I guess having some welding grunt certainly helps too.

We tacked all the foot plates on to the legs this afternoon and run a couple of full welds around the feet just to get our setup right.
We should be giving the table builds a good old nudge this coming Saturday, with all the prep work being already done, so we are hoping for some serious progress.
I will post some progress photos as it happens.

Cheers
Tony.

Gerald D
Wed 31 March 2010, 06:52
Tony, if your friend did full welds around the feet you are going to have your hands full holding him back from overwelding everything else! :)

Robert M
Wed 31 March 2010, 07:58
Must say Tony, your coming along nicely too !!
Good luck on your build ;)

G30ff0
Thu 01 April 2010, 04:10
Hey Tony, nice work, just jumped onto the forum tonight, cold you pm me what supplier details you have? i am super keen to build a larger table myself down in sydney

KenC
Thu 01 April 2010, 04:30
Now there are no looking back... Way to to Tony!

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 01 April 2010, 06:26
Thanks Guys,

I will be happy if I can build ours to the high standards of workmanship that most of you have set ;) trying my best !!
Thought I would post a couple of pics of the table legs / feet already to go for Saturday. Going to be a big day!! but really looking forward to it. Bring it On !!

Start your engines :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0374.jpg

Nice Legs !! :rolleyes:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0375.jpg

First full weld to one leg!! All under control Gerald :p

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0376-1.jpg

Gerald D
Thu 01 April 2010, 09:11
Tony, just as a guide, where a square box section joins to anything, only weld 2 of the 4 faces......that is enough for us.

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 02 April 2010, 03:49
Thanks for your advice Gerald, we will be fully welding everything other than where we need to follow the strict welding paterns on the gantrys etc. As per your earlier advice we will be taking the welding all very slowly and only doing one side and then the opposite side and then moving between legs until they are all done.

Spent the whole day in the garage again today creating space and planning the build for both tables, I also had a look at the best way of clamping the legs to the beams to keep everything true and square.
I found that the flat side of the PFC's all have the slightest bow in them, so I have decided to work off the edge of the flanges which appear to be pretty good.
I clamp a piece of box section to the beam and then clamp the legs to that after using a builders square to keep things right. I then placed my rails in position which fitted perfectly. Once everything was in place I then checked the frame for square and all was absolutely spot on. Lets hope it all stays that way once we start to spot and then weld. :D

Here are a couple of photos of how I plan to set the frames up.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0377.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0378.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

Gerald D
Fri 02 April 2010, 04:05
Tony, if you full weld those 3 legs per beam (12 welds), my estimate is that you will bow that beam by at least 2-3mm. (The middle leg causing the most grief).

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 02 April 2010, 04:18
Gerald,

would that still be the case even if everything (complete table) is all tacked in place first, including all the legs, lower rails and all table bracing as well as the Y axis PFC supports ?? before any full welds are done. when I say full welds I mean one side of each piece, then go to the furthest away one and do the same again until all are done. Will this still cause problems Gerald?
In which direction will it bow Gerald?

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Fri 02 April 2010, 04:38
Tony - clamp a straight piece of steel like so (a bit higher up actually !)
It might help hold everything together.

Regards
Ross

Gerald D
Fri 02 April 2010, 08:07
Tony, your expericenced friend that is helping you with the welding will give you a very good idea of where it will bow. All that I am pointing out is that full welds, versus 50% welds, will take twice as long, cause double the distortion and give you zero improvement in the stiffness of the table.

KenC
Fri 02 April 2010, 19:57
Ross, you don't need six leg, my table is 4.4m long & I only have 2 legs on each beam.
Sometime less is more. ;)

Surfcnc
Fri 02 April 2010, 20:30
Gidday Ken (and Tony)

The beam I proposed is just a temporary brace clamped up with F clamps and then removed after welding. Hope this is clear now.

Regards
Ross

KenC
Fri 02 April 2010, 21:08
Very clear, actually I mix up tony & ross identity.... had one drink to many last night... :o

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 03 April 2010, 03:49
Ross,

No probs Ross, I understood where you were coming from.
will post some photos later, I am very impressed with what we achieved today. Got heaps done, and no distortion.
We have checked the table for acuracy, straight, parallel, square in every which direction and to be honest I am over the moon with the acuracy we have achieved.

Cheers
Tony.

Gerald D
Sat 03 April 2010, 05:31
I am very happy that you got it right Tony!

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 03 April 2010, 06:53
Todays Update.

Thanks Gerald,

We did take your advice, and our welder also said he was only going to weld either side of the legs to the main beams so all good:D
We did however fully weld all the other joints, other than under the long cut mitres which we could not get too.
We managed to get one table almost completely finished with the two side frames finished for the second table So probably another short day left to completely finish both tables:)

Anyway on with the obligatory photographs.

Welded all the foot plates first x 12

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2744.jpg

The master welder at work welding the inside seams at the end of the main X beams.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2739.jpg

End of the beams all complete welded inside and out.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2741.jpg

Setting up for the first of four of the main X axis side frames.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2745.jpg

We then let the welder loose on the first of the main X axis side frames.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2748.jpg

Here is how the joints / welds ended up, not much cleaning up too do:D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2752.jpg

Two main X axis frames down!! bring it on!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2755.jpg

Now onto the first of the main X axis side frames for the second table.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2756.jpg

With all the side frames done and finished we tried a different tact on how to weld the two side frames together trying to reduce the amount of turning of the table whilst maintaing accuracy of the table. It took a little time to get it the way we wanted it, but it paid off in the end :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2757.jpg

One happy chappie in the photograph being me, the other happy chappie being skippy taking the photograph, and one burnt out welder fellow standing out of sight. I think we might have worked him too hard :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2759.jpg

First table not quite finished but very close with the largest part of the second table done also which you can see standing up in the back of the garage. Another day should see them both done and dusted.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2761.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 03 April 2010, 08:54
Well done it looks like a production run..:D

KenC
Sat 03 April 2010, 19:39
You are getting there, keep it up!

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 05 April 2010, 03:43
Hi All,

Done a little bit more today, setting up the main X rails on the PFC's to the first table. They are now all drilled and tapped as per the drawings and notes.
All worked out really well and was very easy to setup, and to get the rails in position tightning the appropriate bolts whilst using the blocks and string line method to straighten the rails.

X rail all drilled with the PFC drilled and tapped.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0384.jpg

Block and string line setup worked well in straightening the rail with a friendly tap here and there and the tightning of the bolt to hold it in place.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0383.jpg

all the bolts in place and one nice and straight X rail :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0382.jpg

I used this aluminium box section with a couple of small angles pop riveted to the underside at each end to maintain the set distance between my X axis rails, again all worked well.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0381.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Mon 05 April 2010, 04:41
Hi Tony

I expected nothing less from you, very tidy job indeed and amazing speed of progress.

The smile on your face says it all, a happy bloke passing a significant mile stone.
Bet you slept well over the Easter break as a thousand squats are the best sleeping medication a man can get.

Regards
Ross

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 10 April 2010, 06:44
Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words Ross, and yes I did sleep well!!last weekend, and will probably sleep even better tonight when I eventually get to bed and not doing Mechmate stuff :D
We managed to completely finish the first table (Skippy's) today and started sussing out the Y gantry and the Y car parts, which I think we have now got our heads around :eek:
we also got all the welding done on my table today other than the Y support channels which will be done next weekend, along with the Y gantry's and hopefully the Y cars for both tables, then the real fun can start.

Skippys table all ready for the y gantry and car to be done now!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0409.jpg

My table all welded other than the Y support channels.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0410.jpg

Not a lot of room left in my garage / workshop with two tables in it :eek: but enough room to get the job done!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0411.jpg

My MechMate coming into good use already at this early stage of the build :p

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2778.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 10 April 2010, 07:40
One ALL ROUNDER machine..:D

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 11 April 2010, 02:22
Kobus the uses for MM is incredible!! I cannot wait!!
I had a bit of a rest day today as it was too hot working in the garage, I did manage to complete the table though, welding all the y axis support channels to the table, its amazing the difference it makes to the qaulity of ones welds having some welding grunt on tap ;)
I guess I am getting to that stage of the builds where I need to get in the right mind set for the cutting and grinding of all the rails:eek:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0413.jpg

Starting to get their now and I hope we can maintain a good steady build speed.

Cheers
Tony.

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 11 April 2010, 04:26
Enough of all the tables...Show us that cruiser...:D

KenC
Sun 11 April 2010, 09:13
Tony,
I would suggest to look at Cam & G code at this stage, I regret not devoting enough effort in this depatment, I'm presently stuck with learning the soft ware... can't proceed to make anything useful now...

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 11 April 2010, 09:33
Don't worry Ken...I had finished my MM and then only started to look for a suitable CAM program. Looked at many, but in the end Vectric Cut2D got me going in 5 minutes....it is really that easy to learn as this software follows a logical flow.

cncb
Sun 11 April 2010, 09:46
Tables look great! Aussies drink Corona? :confused:

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 12 April 2010, 02:59
Kobus,

I will post a pic or two of the Cruiser when I get a chance :D

Tony,
I would suggest to look at Cam & G code at this stage, I regret not devoting enough effort in this depatment, I'm presently stuck with learning the soft ware... can't proceed to make anything useful now...

Ken,

I have been slowly starting to read up on Cam software and G Code and slowly starting to get an understanding. I agree with Kobus though it appears the Vectric's software is the way to go :)

cncb,

In response to your question Aussies drinking Corona:confused:

I'm a Scossie :D and like lots of nice drinks!!:D

I supplied my local fastner place with a list for all our bolts, screws, nuts and bolts today, hopefully they should all be ready for pickup tomorrow ;)

Cheers
Tony.

cvriv.charles
Tue 13 April 2010, 00:39
Aww man,... i want a corona:(

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 15 April 2010, 04:26
Hi,

Done a little bit of prep work setting up the gantry tonight, making sure it is level, straight, parallel and square.
I used some threaded rods through the gantry rails to bolt the laser cut parts and the rails together nice and tight.
so far so good lets hope it stays that way through the welding process.

I am pretty sure I have everything around the right way and I'm sure you will all let me know differently if it is not ;)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0415.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0416.jpg

Clamps and straps holding everything in place.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0417.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

cvriv.charles
Thu 15 April 2010, 05:13
Superb job Mr Tony:)

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 17 April 2010, 06:36
Todays Update!!

We worked on the welding of the both gantrys today as our first job.
we used 2 x 2m of M10 threaded rod through the slots in the gantry end brackets which ran inside of each of the gantry tubes with washers and nuts at each end tightening the laser cut parts to the tube ends holding everything nicely together.
With them bolted we also bolted the laser cut parts together with the temp M12 bolts again holding everything firmly in place.
The gantry tubes were also clamped down onto the X axis rails, after much checking and squaring the welding sequence took place.

The same process took place for the second gantry and again I am happy to report all went well, with very little to no propellor twisting taking place.

With the gantry's now out of the way we started on the Y car for the first table. Setup again took some time and went through a few setup and checking processes before the welding sequence took place and it all paid of in the end :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2792.jpg

Ross (surfcnc) dropped in and brought along his little pieces of threaded rod for the car, and Ross I'm happy to report they worked a treat.:D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2799.jpg

Clamp City here we come!!:) and let the welding begin!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2801.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2796.jpg

Ross, (surfcnc) picking up a few welding tips!!;)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2797.jpg

Car welds being cleaned up.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2807.jpg

Cars all done and dusted. :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0457.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0458-1.jpg

Couple of photos showing the gantrys and cars all finished.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2805.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2804.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0455.jpg

And lastly and not one of clearest photos, and specialy for kobus, the heavy lump of metal sitting next to its best mate MM!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0456.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

Kobus_Joubert
Sat 17 April 2010, 06:45
Must be a real pleasure riding this on the LONG OPEN road. enjoy.

Surfcnc
Sat 17 April 2010, 07:17
Cheers Tony

For those interested, on my mission to see the crack team in action, I got one sandwich, two drinks and enough hints to last me six months.

Tony and Paul's tables are precise by no accident, as they are taking every opportunity to check, then recheck, the parts before they are welded.
CONSIDERABLE thought has also gone into getting a good datum to work from and the accuracy they are getting is in a word - fabulous.

Now when did you say those sandwiches were on again ?

Regards
Ross

Red_boards
Sat 17 April 2010, 22:26
Thanks for the detail in this build and all the photos - they are really helping me to get my head around the planning.

I'd appreciate a guess at the time spent welding each table to date. I'm guessing 40+ hours?

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 19 April 2010, 04:37
Hi Red,

I'm glad the detail and photos in my build thread are of help to others, I know that without the detail and photos that others have posted before me, I would certainly have struggled with my build.
Big thanks really need to go to Gerald for this great machine and for this very informative public forum which once you learn how to read it and work out where to find things properly, it really makes the build so much easier.

With regards to welding time, both tables, both gantrys, and both cars the total setup and welding timeall up is probably in the vicinity of close too 35 -40Hrs.
A lot of cutting preperation and grinding was done prior with several hours being worked to get everything ship shape:D but it all appears to have payed off in the end so we are really happy with the results.

Cheers and good luck
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 24 April 2010, 02:21
Hi All,

Drilled and drilled and drilled and tapped :eek:
The good news is!! thats the largest part of the drilling and tapping done. Fitted the X axis rails to the second table and all the Y axis rails also fitted to both Y gantrys.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0502.jpg

I decided to trial drilling a hole and then tapped it into an offcut of the gantry tube which is 3mm thick, I then used my ratchet and socket and screwed the bolt in applying enough pressure, and the bolt held strong with no sign of stripping.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0504.jpg

So I decided to not use the steel backing strip. I also reduced the bolt centres on the gantry rails to 150mm centres and will apply spring washers also. Should be more than enough.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0505.jpg

Hopefully the rain holds off tomorrow and we might get the tables all prepared and cleaned, and some primer on them to stop all the surface rust that keeps appearing.

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Sat 24 April 2010, 03:20
Looking good! Should see some serious dust manufacturing real soon!

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 25 April 2010, 05:39
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your enthusiasim, but we are still a long way away from making any dust, a little bit slower than normal due to building both tables at the same time!! much quicker with just one :p

Anyway as usual here is todays progress and the obligatory photos to check out!!

We started by moving the first table outside before then scrubbing and degreasing the whole table.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2810.jpg

We then gave all the Y support channels and the 2 main X beams a hit with some rust converter which worked a treat.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2811.jpg

Then once the table was all wiped and air dried we then spray painted using a combination of a small and large gravity fed High Volume Low Pressure spray guns using a Heavy duty KillRust Primer.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2812.jpg

Photo of Paul aka Skippy here on the forums standing next to his now pride and joy :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0509.jpg

Thought I would throw in a couple of close up shots of the welding after being painted.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0513.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0511.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0512.jpg

I am looking to make a start hopefully tomorrow on the rail cutting, so we shall see how we go;) I think I have put this part of the build off for long enough, and its time to put it behind us!! :)

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Sun 25 April 2010, 05:43
Hey - you forgot to clean down Paul !!

Ross

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 26 April 2010, 01:16
Hahaha Good on ya Ross!!!

If Skippy stood there any longer admiring his MM I was going to give him a coat of primer just to tidy him up Lol.

I managed to squeeze in a little bit more time to work on MM stuff again today, so set up for the rail cutting and made up a little jig which after trying it out, appeared to all work very well and was very easy to use!! Thanks for the idea Ross!! what was I worrying about :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0515.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0514.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0516.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0520.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Mon 26 April 2010, 02:46
Looking very good Tony

The engineers square tells the story, those rails will be great.
I'm sure lots of forum users will appreciate the nice clear photos of your set up.

Regards
Ross

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 27 April 2010, 03:09
Hi All,

Thanks to Ross (surfcnc) for the contact I have ordered our E-Chains for both tables X & Y from http://www.alliedconnectors.com/home.html

Ordered more than we need so we will have some parts as spares.

This is what I ordered.

CPS036N.075.R70.B2T @ 2000mm x 2 Set2 X Axis.
CPS036N.055.R70.B2T @ 1500mm x 2 Set2 Y Axis.

Hopefully I should have the rail cutting done soon and can get onto welding and painting the E-Chain support brackets.

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 30 April 2010, 02:34
Hi All,

Still waiting on our E-Chains to arrive, they are on there way and should be here any day now.
Managed to cut our first X axis rail and all went well.
Going through a fair few cutting discs though, so I think we might need to go get some decent ones:)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0530.jpg

Cheers Tony

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 01 May 2010, 03:28
Todays Progress!!

Not too hard once you get going :p It just seems to be one of them jobs you just want to keep putting off and off.

Well I eventually got my brain into gear and hit the rail cutting head on today, I managed to cut all the X & Y axis rails for both Paul (Skippy) and my tables.
I also started to grind the first of many rails for the V, finding this a little harder than I thought but I'm sure I will get there in the end. Or at least tomorrow :D

Here is todays progress.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0531.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Sat 01 May 2010, 03:35
Tony pleased to see your rail cutting is behind you. So impressed by your get it done attitude.

Ross

clarson66
Sat 01 May 2010, 04:16
Hi Tony,
Rails are looking good. We started to grind the V's then noticed a little bit of uneven on the faces appearing. We then put the skate back together with a grinding disc and ground the tops of the cuts to a full square and flat surface. Then we went back to cutting the v's and they look really nice now.

Just my 2c's worth.

Chris

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 01 May 2010, 08:05
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the heads up, I think thats what I will be doing tomorrow before any further grinding, as I am also experiencing some un-eveness with the grinding after cutting.

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 02 May 2010, 05:59
Todays Update!!

Well I'm very glad to report that after getting the heads up from Chris regarding the rails not cutting perfectly flat which I presume is due to flex in the 1mm cutting disks, I ground the tops of the rails perfectly flat and square before then grinding the V.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2825.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2830.jpg

I also found that to get the skate to slide properly when cutting the V I used a chain lube on top of the rail which is just like a very fine lubricating oil, but the good thing is the metal filings from grinding do not stick to it and the skate slides much better rather than digging in and stopping.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2838.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0537.jpg

Paul degreased and rust converted both the Y gantry's and the Y cars before I then painted them with the Heavy duty Killrust primer.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2831.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/DSC_2847.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0538.jpg

Now that I have the cutting of the rails back under control it will be back to grinding the rest of the V rails and also cutting them to length tomorrow. Hopefully thats the end of that :D:D

Cheers
Tony.

clarson66
Sun 02 May 2010, 06:28
Looking good guys, you are at the the stage in you build where Leon and I would love to be up to.

Keep up the good work.

Chris

cncb
Sun 02 May 2010, 18:43
Great work guys. Looks like you are def. breaking a sweat working on the mechmate!

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 02 May 2010, 23:30
Thanks Brian!!

Lets re phrase that Brian, we were breaking out in a sweat, that is until today!!
Work came to a sudden halt when our 4" Bosch angle grinder decided to stop!! no smoke either:eek: looks like the Bosch cannot go the distance with the build of two machines as I fell short on the grinding of the V rails by one set of rails for the second table.
So rails will need to wait now until we can get another grinder :mad:

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Sun 02 May 2010, 23:58
Tony, sorry to hear your misfortune. My skil grinder (DIY grade, light-duty, younger brother of Boshe) survived throught the ordeal very well. Just be gentle, hold back when the grinder groan in distress, goes a long way. BTW, no smoke is a good sign, maybe you just blew the fuse. This happened to my abrasive disc chopper.

PEU
Mon 03 May 2010, 08:36
I tought about this, a month back I collected enough points in my gas station card and I changed points for a black&decker grinder, im confident I will be able to do everything on my previous one and this one :)

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 04 May 2010, 04:21
New/ replacement grinder underway, so it will be back to grinding the rails shortly:eek:
75mm and 55mm E-Chains arrived for the X and Y axis's, still need to arrange the correct end brackets but will do that when I order the Z axis E-Chains which should be in the next week or so.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0539.jpg

If any body can point me in the right direction as too what is required in the way of E-Chain for the Z it would be much appreciated in the meantime I will keep looking here on the forum.
Thanks Ross for pointing me in the direction of Alan_c's build thread will check it out.

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Tue 04 May 2010, 04:57
Tony, I don't get your question on the E-chain for Z axis... BTW I did nothing to it...

KenC
Tue 04 May 2010, 05:04
I tought about this, a month back I collected enough points in my gas station card and I changed points for a black&decker grinder, im confident I will be able to do everything on my previous one and this one :)

I would save the point for other useful stuff.

As long as you don't bulldoze down the angle with the grinder in a big hurry, ANY working grinder (that fits your grinding skate) will survive the ordeal ;)

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 04 May 2010, 06:29
Ken,

Let me firstly say, I am quite capable of using and knowing the limits of power tools as I have worked with them my whole life, however and for whatever reason the Bosch just did not make the trip, I must say though that the cutting then grinding flat and then grinding the V on not one set of rails but two, over some very long days would tend to take its toll on any light use power tool.

Quote "ANY working grinder (that fits your grinding skate) will survive the ordeal" thats a big statement Ken when so many others have lost grinders during their build of a MM.

Ken, Not so much a question regarding the Z but more any usefull info like E-Chain size, length, assembly photos or any other info that may help the design and or construction of ours would be appreciated :)

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Tue 04 May 2010, 07:11
Hi Tony,
I use a short length of flexible washing machine discharge hose because they are sitting infront of me... rather then a cable chain for the Z-slide, IMHO, I'm only carrying a 4-core shielded spindle power cable & the 2x 6mm water tube for the spindle is stiff enough to be left dangling in the air without any harm., cable chain is over-kill for my purpose, I don't like to expend more then required if I can help it, its a hard habbit to break... your choice may very.

About the grinder, I'm serious with the statement. When I was running a 30 man strong steel fabrication workshop (yes, I ran the shop but unfortunately, I'm not among the workforce & I don't like to sit in the office for too long & leave everything to the supervisors...), we use ANY grinder for ALL kind of works & as long as we allow the grinder to cool down & work within their limits, they can last longer then they are worth. Maybe steel in our part of the world is softer then others ;)

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 05 May 2010, 04:36
I dont think its got anything to do with the steel Ken!! and definately nothing to do with how the grinder was used, let me assure you of that!! I think its got more to do with they do not make things like they used too!! My old 4"Hitachi grinder I have had for twenty odd years and over those years it has had some very serious heavy use in those twenty odd years and is still going strong, it is built better and works harder than all the new plastic stuff we have on offer nowadays.

Cheers
Tony.

bradm
Wed 05 May 2010, 05:03
I think it has everything to do with duty cycle and cooling. Our rail cutting and grinding operations can be close to continuous duty for tools that are designed for short bursts of use (at least in the modern designs). There is a trade-off between how many cooling breaks you are willing to take (time) and how hot your grinder gets (tool life). I used frozen gel packs to speed the cooling time of my grinders, but in the end, the disposable $20 HF grinder was ... disposed. The better built Milwaukee survived, even though it was run hot. If I'd run the grinders at what I consider appropriate duty cycles to save the tool, it would have taken me three times as long to complete the job, so I was willing to take the risk and burn out the cheap grinder.

KenC
Wed 05 May 2010, 20:53
I think its got more to do with they do not make things like they used too!!

This is IMHO a misnomer. In fact, with modern manufacturing technology, everything are built better then they were used to. Hence no more over enginering which does contribute to expending uncessary resource strain on the environment plus unnecessary expenses for the consumers. eg, look at cars today in general, aren't they come with better fuel economy, safety, more powerful (pound to pound) & reliability? I don't think the old Ford T-Model will ever make to the road with today's stringent statutary requirements.

I can only say michines built in the "old" era was over engineered because the people that created & using them did not have all the understanding of the equipment then... so they over-built them for that "just-in-case" scenario ...

& look as us human, we generally live longer & also more knowledgeable. who can deny that?

I think it has everything to do with duty cycle and cooling. .

Exactly.

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 06 May 2010, 04:34
I would still have an older car over any new car any day built to last they were!! :)
Lets just get on with the MM build.

Cheers
Tony.

Lonedawg75
Fri 07 May 2010, 04:09
I would still have an older car over any new car any day built to last they were!!

Agreed.. but i still lub my xr6T ^^

PEU
Fri 07 May 2010, 05:27
I think it has everything to do with duty cycle and cooling. Our rail cutting and grinding operations can be close to continuous duty for tools that are designed for short bursts of use (at least in the modern designs). There is a trade-off between how many cooling breaks you are willing to take (time) and how hot your grinder gets (tool life). I used frozen gel packs to speed the cooling time of my grinders, but in the end, the disposable $20 HF grinder was ... disposed. The better built Milwaukee survived, even though it was run hot. If I'd run the grinders at what I consider appropriate duty cycles to save the tool, it would have taken me three times as long to complete the job, so I was willing to take the risk and burn out the cheap grinder.

This gave me an idea, instead of making one grinder suffer, I can use both at 50% duty cycle and both will be cooler all the time.

Surfcnc
Fri 07 May 2010, 05:30
Really guys - focus and leave the whole grinder thing ALONE.

Ross

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 07 May 2010, 05:30
Want that be very painfull changing them in the skate each time???

Cheers
Tony.

skippy
Fri 07 May 2010, 06:35
Come on Guys new grinder has been purchase and I have it (Been in the boot of my car for last coupe of days) and will be handed over to Tony tomorrow and the other one will be take back to shop for warranty replacement / credit. :D Now can we please leave this topic alone and move on with the Mechmate build.

Regards
Paul

KenC
Fri 07 May 2010, 22:04
Paul, Tony,
IMHO, the well being of the grinder is important to the build. Especially if one wish to have an uninterupted progress. Unless you enjoy going through the warranty claim chore... ;) I highlight this in all good intention.
Anyway, I'll keep mum on this topic here from here on.

Pablo,
Using 2 set of grinder & skates is a good strategy, if you are in a hurry. but you must be careful with the height & angle setting of the skates. Eventually, taking a laid back attitude toward the grinding process worked best for me, yours may vary.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 08 May 2010, 06:09
Todays Update,

With the new grinder in hand, all the rail grinding for both tables was completed today:) And I might add!! I am so glad that job is now out of the way!!

My tips for rail cutting and grinding would be as follows.

1. Use the 1mm thick cutting disks and have plenty of them!!

2. After cutting the rails to height I would suggest using a grinding disk and grind the top of the rail flat as the 1mm cutting disks leave the rail with some small humps and bumps due to disk flex which need to be removed prior to grinding the V to maintain eveness in the V.

3. When you start the grinding I found that using a very light chain oil lubricant allowed the head of the adjuster bolts to slide free on the top of the rail without digging in too much.

4. Grind very very small amounts at any given time and practice on a smaller piece before starting on the rails required for your MM, Once you have the feel for it start on your rails.

5. If you have the time design a better skate or use the one that has the bearings incorporated as I think that will provide for much easier use and a better qaulity finish.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0545.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0544.jpg

we also got one complete set of X & Y rails all degreased, wire brushed and rust converted and primed.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0547.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0546.jpg

We also cut and prepared all the E-Chain laser cut brackets and used the offcuts from the rails for the E-Chain rail which is attached to the brackets, so hopefully next working day we should have all the rails cleaned and primed as well as the E-Chain brackets :D

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 16 May 2010, 04:52
Update!!

Both tables and both sets of rails are all now in primer and ready to get rolling!!
Just need to find someone local for the purchase of shim washers for both the rails and for the adjusting of the V wheels on both the gantry and the car.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0550.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0551.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

clarson66
Sun 16 May 2010, 05:20
Hi Guys.
Looking good. I got our shim washers from the local autoparts store and I also used the shims from my scribing blade on the panel saw so you might want to try your local saw sharpening shop as well.

Cheers Chris

Gerald D
Sun 16 May 2010, 10:17
It will be a pain to use washers for shimming the rails, because you have to pull the screw right out before you can change washers. We use rectangular strips, about 40x10mm, packed either side of the screw. Cut them from drinks cans and any other old scrap.

KenC
Sun 16 May 2010, 23:02
All we need is a piece of dimensionally stable thin gauge sheet stock for the shim. steel, bronze, aluminium, plastics, FRP.... or even titanium, gold or silver :)

I took Gerald's advise & went with using soda cans as shims. I find the Coke cans has the most consistent 0.1mm thickness, other cans do varies in thickness a little.

Gerald also advised on biscuit tins for thicker shims but I can't find enough of them & hence normal washers instead.

I punch out shim washers, it does add more preparation & installation chore but once in place I don't have to worry about the shim moving around before tightening the screw.

Oh yes, it is a PITA pulling out the screw every time for add/reduce shims. Anyway, I did spend more time then necessary in cross checking this part of the build then other parts of my build.

BUT there are many who prefer to buy ready shims, it's a personal choice.

One good advantage of can shims is you will have unlimited supply of locally produced shims if you keep your drinking habit :)

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 17 May 2010, 03:11
Thanks guys,

I found these guys, so all should be good :D. http://australia.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4846917&cm_vc=prev_au
These shims should be ideal for the rails, and they have proper shimming washers which should take care of the shimming for the V wheels. Failing that Paul and I have a stash of aluminium cans of Rum & Coke which should make for some good shims, we just need to drink all the rum ;)

Cheers
Tony.

skippy
Mon 17 May 2010, 03:55
Here is the backup plan for the shims we hope not, but we will enjoy then after a day of build the MechMates

Regards

Paul

Gerald D
Mon 17 May 2010, 06:37
It is easier to do the shimming before the racks are fitted. And remember that if parts of shims are left sticking out, they could foul the rack. (We trim away protruding shim with a strong knife)

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 21 May 2010, 04:34
Decided to do a little bit in the garage tonight and now have both gantrys and cars rolling.

Table # 1

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0668.jpg

Table # 2

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0670.jpg

Also picked up our additional E-Chain brackets we required for both tables whilst I was in Melbourne the other day. so should be setting up the E-Chain support brackets, E-Chains and very soon the Z axis :D

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 22 May 2010, 03:26
Today's Progress,

Finished making up all the E-Chain support brackets for both the Z axis and the Y axis for both tables. We had to elongate all holes in the laser cut brackets and had to make an adapter bracket to attach our X axis E-Chain on to the gantry.

X axis E-Chain all mounted

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0674.jpg

E-Chain Support Brackets all rounded off and slots elongated.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0676.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0677.jpg

X and Y axis E-Chains all finished to both tables.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0679.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0673.jpg

Few more nuts and bolts to purchase, and then we should be making a start on the Z slide.

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Sun 23 May 2010, 01:12
Hi Tony And Paul

The attachment bracket to the top of the X axis cable chain is very tidy - a good solution to use the angle and have the end connector sit "on" it.
Also the cable chains sit well, they get a big tick in the looks department.

regards
Ross

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 24 May 2010, 02:50
Thanks Ross :)

Mounted our push button boxes to each end of both gantry's tonight, tables are starting to look like MM's now :D

Cheers
Tony.

J.R. Hatcher
Wed 26 May 2010, 03:49
Let's go back to the shims a second. Start off using the strips ( cause it's easy) then when you are finished count the strips under each bolt and replace them all at the same time with washers of the same material.:D

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 27 May 2010, 02:34
JR,

Skippy and I ended up purchasing some flat sheet in various thickness's for shimming further down the track, all the other pre cut shims were way too expensive!! :mad: So I think we are all under control again :D

I have also had some interest in our supplier of E-Chains and thought I would post the info here. They also have some other gear of interest too, so yeh check them out. Alistair is a great guy to deal with and very helpfull.

Alistair Jansz
Sales Representative
VGL - Allied Connectors
(T) +61 3 9793 4666
(F) +61 3 9706 7010
(M) 0411 405 659
(W) www.alliedconnectors.com

Cheers
Tony.

smreish
Thu 27 May 2010, 13:01
I think I recall Gerald likes to use EMPTY beer cans for his shims! :D

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 27 May 2010, 13:23
:D Only if he is allowed to empty it himself.

domino11
Thu 27 May 2010, 14:48
What happens then when your rails are really bad and you need a LOT of shims? :):eek:

bradm
Thu 27 May 2010, 16:32
The rails start to look better after a few shims, of course. ;)

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 28 May 2010, 00:52
Hahaha!!! In our case (pardon the pun) its a case of Rum!!!

Now on with the build!!
Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 29 May 2010, 04:54
Hi All,

Cold rainy day here today so an ideal time to go do some work in the garage!!
spent some time today working on the spiders!! Still need to fine tune them but pretty happy with the end result:D

Bushes and nuts all welded in place with the V wheels fitted.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0694.jpg

Marked, drilled and tapped then fitted the 50 x 25 x 3mm RHS to the v plate and slid on the spider :)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0699.jpg

Skippy and I will be working on the MM's again tomorrow, not sure what we will be working on yet but I'm sure we will find plenty to do!! :D

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 30 May 2010, 04:13
Today's Update!!

Another good day today with Paul and I getting a fair amount finished on both MM's.
We started the day cutting the teflon washers and making the additional brackets to support the cable tray on the Y gantry.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0701.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0703.jpg

whilst we had the welder set up we welded up the idler arm for the Y gantry.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0706.jpg

It was then onto counter sinking the necessary holes in the motor mounting plates so we could start to assemble them, along with the motors to try everything out.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0705.jpg

First of the X axis motors mounted.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0715.jpg

Second of the X axis motors mounted.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0713.jpg

Y gantry motor all mounted.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0714.jpg

Idler arm mounted to the car for the Y axis.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0712.jpg

Z axis being fitted.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0717.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0716.jpg

And a couple of random shots showing our overall progress on both MM's. :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0711.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0710.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0709.jpg

Overall a pretty good days work!! boy will I sleep tonight:D

We still have a few things to purchase and few other bits and pieces to follow up on, but almost getting to the stage where we will be pulling it down for painting:)

Cheers
Tony.

Kobus_Joubert
Sun 30 May 2010, 04:58
Well done those machines are really going to look good when finished.

Gerald D
Sun 30 May 2010, 08:09
Pulling down for painting? :confused:

And there I was thinking the military olive drab is quite appealing. :D

Sergio-k
Sun 30 May 2010, 11:42
Me too Gerald :D

I like the color and the contrast it makes with the cable chain, motors..etc.

Very nice job guys, keep it up.
I admire those welds. I covered mine (sorry Gerlad) :o with lots of plastic steel.

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 04 June 2010, 02:35
Haha!!

Our machines will be a nice blue colour once finished;)
Been catching up on some other little bits and pieces for all the gantry and car stops. No need to worry about the stops Mike :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0730.jpg

More work happening tomorrow all going well.

Cheers
Tony.

smreish
Fri 04 June 2010, 13:50
Tony,
You only need one set of stops for the Y car, so you will have an extra set. You really only need 6 units for fabrication.

AuS MaDDoG
Fri 04 June 2010, 16:15
Hi Sean,

Yeh I am aware that each of the cars only requires one stop, but I like the idea of having the two just in case:) I always like things to stop evenly and not with any sign of jarring, so thought I would fit two just because I can, plus gives it a little bit more mass:D

Cheers
Tony.

smreish
Fri 04 June 2010, 17:40
Understood.
Also, since I have my quality control hat on. Remember that the Y car stops are shorter than the ones used on the x - axis. You might have to take about 4-7mm off the y car set to make them clear.

Good luck!
SEan

Kobus_Joubert
Fri 04 June 2010, 23:17
Hi Tony, maybe you can send some of those stops to me so that I can square my gantry :)

Gerald D
Sat 05 June 2010, 00:35
Sean is right, the tall stops (with screws) are too tall for the y-car . . . . unless your y-rails are taller than 28mm or you grind clearance notches into the laser cut profile of the y-car.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 05 June 2010, 05:29
Thanks Guys!!

Been in the garage all day again today working on both MM's, come to the Y car stops and had missed that they are a different size, logged onto the forum tonight and sure enough you guys had picked it up!! thanks for the heads up.
So I will be cutting the ones down for the Gantry Y Car stops :D

Welded up the Stop/Proxy brackets and mounted them today so thats another job done and dusted :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0737.jpg

And here is the Y Car ones which will do the job, but will need to be cut down to clear the underside of the car, about 4mm should do the job:)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0740.jpg

Mounted the Z axis motor mounting plate and hopefully next weekend we should have the rack to the Z and X axis all done!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0741.jpg

And lastly mounted all the Geckos to our heat sink as well as the fan and covers to keep them all nice and cool :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0732.jpg

Still lots to do, but can see the end in sight, after another 2 or 3 weeks we should hopefully be starting the finishing run!! :cool:

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 12 June 2010, 04:25
Update,

Took a while to get motivated today as it was fairly cold in the garage this morning.
Cut and mounted both racks to the Z axis's, also started preping and welding the racks for the X axis. Lost some time today due to breaking drill bits and a tap, but got there in the end.
I should not complain I guess, as we are nearing the end of the main part of the build. Hopefully next week should see the racks finished and all going well the Z's as well.

Off to do some reading on the gas struts for the Z's

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 19 June 2010, 05:44
Todays Update!!

Welded and adjusted all the adjustable stops to the Y gantry, sure does stop the car nice and smooth having 2 stops at each end. no jarring of the car.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0748.jpg

Modified our spindle mounts so that they clear the v wheels of the spiders.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0747.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0750.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0751.jpg

Also mounted our supports to the back of our spiders for support of our dust extraction, need to do a little bit more homework on the dust extrasion setups, I have a preference for the dust foot to travel up and down with the Z axis.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0746.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0753.jpg

Also got all the X axis and Y axis racks welded. Spindle mounting plate and Z axis E-chain to finish and then its pull down for that nice shade of blue paint :)

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 20 June 2010, 02:41
Todays Update,

Made up a couple of little angle brackets and mounted the Z axis E-Chain. Also fitted the control box to the car.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0754.jpg

I also mounted the proximity sensor for the Y axis car and both the proximity sensors for the X axis and fed all the proximity wires into the nearest control box.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0755.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0756.jpg

So that is all the mechanical build now finished.
Now ready to start pulling down and let the painting begin :D

Cheers
Tony.

jhiggins7
Sun 20 June 2010, 04:29
Great job, Tony. Looks "finished". Really nice pictures, too...lighting and clarity are wonderful.:)

Gerald D
Sun 20 June 2010, 09:39
Re second pic; where is the hole that triggers the prox switch?

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 20 June 2010, 15:32
Gerald,

You have a good eye for picking up on the things others miss :)
I will be drilling all the proxy holes, in all the rails when I remove the rails from the table and gantry for painting, not a big job and need to touch up around the stops with primer anyway ;)

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Sun 20 June 2010, 17:07
Gerald and Tony

The adjustment Tony has included in the Y rail stoppers moves the proxy holder back into the clear away from a bolt holding the rail down, a fit up to would have been required to see where to drill the hole.

Tony when you get some time I would appreciate any details of the gas spring you have selected as I feel the length specification I initially gave you was incorrect. Yesterday I found on the plans a spec of 350mm throw for the 250mm slide. Hope you spotted this and did not buy one without doing your own calcs as a check.

Regards
Ross

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 20 June 2010, 23:37
Hi Ross,

After trying to find some info on the gas springs available, and what was required by design, I decided to get it right. So I thought it was best to take the whole spider assembly to Ron at http://www.gasstrutsales.com.au/
With Ron I looked at the min and max travel of the Z and worked out the best gas strut from there. Ron gasses them in his workshop to the force you advice, I went 15kg. However he is able to increase that later if so required. Be carefull with the diameter of, and the positioning of the gas strut as it can hit the spider plate. For your reference we used the 18mm diameter gas strut, which provided slightly more clearance.

If you need any further info drop me a note, will give you a call later.

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 03 July 2010, 03:21
Latest Update!!

Has been a bit slow the last couple of weeks, however we managed to do some more work today.
First on the list was to dismantle everything right down to the last nut and bolt.
Then we drilled all the 20mm holes in the rails for the sensor switching.
Paul also done some prep on my control panel so that is now well underway.

I also surfaced my spider using the top of my table saw, some contact adhesive and some wet and dry sandpaper, took about 5 to 10mins and now it sits perfectly on the table saw top.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0826.jpg

couple of pics with both MM's dismantled ready for all the small parts to be preped and primed and all the larger parts ready for that nice new shiny Blue Paint!! just too cold at the moment :mad: I sure do hope it warms up again sometime soon!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0828.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0827.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

tangocharlie123
Tue 06 July 2010, 17:56
Tony having a look at all the others you and Paul have done a great Job.

Would love to one day come and have a look once you have it painted.

Cheers

Peter

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 17 July 2010, 06:50
Hi Pete!!

Not a problem to visit one day:)
sent you a Pm just let me know when suits and we can arrange, although it might be better once we start to re assemble as there is really not much to see at the moment except a lot of parts lying around:D

Todays Update!!
Not much left to do now!! finished modifying the last of the spindle mounts and we tried out our quick release mounting plates for the spindle which are working well.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0840.jpg

Also mounted a piece of flat to the back of the spider to take the Z sensor, the sensor will detect on the heads of an upper and lower bolt which is tapped into the back of the 50 x 25 RHS. We are going to look at using a shorter sensor to clear the dust extraction or heat and mould a recess into the Pvc pipe to clear the sensor we have.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0842.jpg

Hopefully back onto finishing off the preping and priming of all the smaller parts brackets and motor mounts, before then starting the top finishing coats.:D

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 17 July 2010, 21:11
Hi All,

We as in Paul and I purchased two 1.5hp 240v single phase 10amp 1600cfm dust extraction sytems yesterday for our MM's:D they might even be the right colour ;)
Assembled mine this morning and fired it up!! it is reasonably quite as far as dust extractors go so thats good.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0845.jpg

Modifications to improve the dust extraction will happen further down the track, once good old MM can cut it's own parts to do so.

The dust extractor also has a double inlet so I guess that is going to come in handy for the table saw dust extraction too ;)
We also bought a couple of part kits with blast gates and fittings so should be able to set it all up to work pretty efficiently with my other equipment.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0844.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 24 July 2010, 04:37
Todays Update!!

Finally !! we are now at the stage for final top coat painting:D
Skippy and I preped and primed all the smaller metal parts today as well as the touch ups to all the rails where we mounted the rail stops and drilled the holes in the rails for the sensors.

We also preped and primed the Z axis components and all E-chain brackets and mounts, as well as all the racks.

Some of the shiny parts before priming!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0862.jpg

Our simple little setup made the painting nice and quick and very easy.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0863.jpg

And the finished results !!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0868.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0869.jpg

And everything together.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0867.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

Surfcnc
Sat 24 July 2010, 05:05
Tony - you said you would paint and paint you did.
Your preparation and work flow is as I have come to expect.

I see some 25mm box section -my guess is you are thinking about dust collection pipes already, sure is no flies on you fella.

Regards
Ross

guerd87
Mon 26 July 2010, 08:51
Progress is coming along nicely :)

Ive just purchased a welder for my build and have to get myself a cut off saw in the next few weeks. Have you got any info on where you got yours from and a Brand/Model or price?

Im not too sure if I should go an abrasive or cold cut off saw. Price will be the decider, But if its not too much more it will be worth it in the long run.

John

clarson66
Mon 26 July 2010, 09:16
Hi there,
Where possible I would try to get the cold saw, we purchased ours of ebay and it's been great. I still cant believe how quick and easy they cut.

Chris

Robert M
Mon 26 July 2010, 18:07
I love the « bailley » paint rack :D
Nicely going….. Congrats
Robert ;)

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 28 July 2010, 18:25
Progress is coming along nicely :)

Ive just purchased a welder for my build and have to get myself a cut off saw in the next few weeks. Have you got any info on where you got yours from and a Brand/Model or price?

Im not too sure if I should go an abrasive or cold cut off saw. Price will be the decider, But if its not too much more it will be worth it in the long run.

John

John,

Definately worth going with the Cold cut saw, however it's probably double the price of the normal chop saw, but cuts through the steel with ease and accuracy.
I bought mine through QLD Tradetools look them up on the net.

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 07 August 2010, 23:02
Glad to Report we are finally on too the last of the painting!!

Paul and I finally got around to painting most of the smaller parts for both our MM's. We also managed to paint all the racks and some of the rails, so we are starting to get there now!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0893.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0895.jpg

Hopefully next weekend we shall finish the rails and make a start on both gantrys and cars before then tackling both the tables :D

Paul has also been doing a bit of work behind the scene getting all our electrical sorted out, he brought my Bob board down on the weekend so thought I would throw up a photo of that and the painted parts.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0892.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 10 August 2010, 02:19
Update!!

Spider starting to take shape :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0896.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0899.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 14 August 2010, 02:33
Hey all,

More painting done today!! finished all the rails and a couple of little bits and pieces we missed on the last painting day.

We managed to get both gantrys and both cars painted today, and pretty happy with the end result :)

Done some prep work on the wheel set up for Pauls table and I have decided do do exactly the same for mine, so will be buying some wheels through the week. So hopefully steel for the wheels for both tables, should be fitted and primed next week ready for the final paint there after of both tables :D

Anyway enough of me raving on in excitment and on to the photos :D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0900.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0905.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0901.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0903.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0907.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0909.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0910.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0912.jpg

I also purchased 2 x Mach 3's today for our control computers so will be starting to move with that soon too.

Come on Paul lets see what you been up too with all the electrical and electronics side of our builds ;) no need to be shy!! I wanna see it! !:D

Cheers
Tony.

Neil
Sat 14 August 2010, 03:42
Hi Tony
I am also looking forward to the completion of your machine as I have been following your informative thread from the begining, you are making very professional looking machines. I have just started on my machine which is based on virtually the same dimensions as yours.

Regards Neil

Gerald D
Sat 14 August 2010, 04:46
Gee, did you have to paint the WHOLE groundsheet??!!:D

Surfcnc
Sat 14 August 2010, 05:55
You just keep right on ticking the boxes there Tony and Paul.
It is always good to see your progress.

Regards
Ross

smreish
Sat 14 August 2010, 14:25
...G, that's funny!

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 21 August 2010, 01:45
No Way Gerald!!
Its just a very popular colour :D

Done a little bit of pre assembly today just to gather some of the parts together to provide a little bit more space to work in the garage. Attached some of the MM vinyl loggo's today, really makes it look the part now :D

Steel supports and wheels should be mounted and primed for both tables tomorrow, so hopefully from here it is all down hill to the finish:)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0942.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0940.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0941.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0945.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0944.jpg

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sun 22 August 2010, 05:33
Hi All,

Last of the fabrication finished today after finishing welding and bolting the wheels to both tables. MM's are both now very mobile, and move with ease :D

We have set the wheels so that when the Adjusta Feet are wound up, the table then sits on the wheels providing approx 30mm clearance.
If more clearance is required for whatever reason the feet could be removed all together and would provide 75mm clearance from the ground to the underside plate on the bottom of each leg which should more than enough to tackle the roughest surface.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0949.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0950.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_0951.jpg

I think I should have fitted the wheels to the tables much earlier in the build, as it is now so easy to move the table around :)

Just got to finish the painting of both tables now and then its on to the final final assembly and setup.

Cheers
Tony.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 04 September 2010, 01:58
Hi All !!

Drilled and painted all the holes in the steel cross supports for bolting up the base board, boy am I glad thats now outa the way:p
Skippy also started assembly of his spider and the last of the bob mounting boards.
Too windy and the threat of rain halted the painting of the tables so that will need to wait until hopefully next weekend, then its on to the final assemble and commisioning :D

Cheers
Tony.