PDA

View Full Version : Touch Probes Have Arrived #72 - Brisbane, Australia

skippy
Mon 29 June 2009, 04:53
Paul from Brisbane, Australia.

Been looking on building a CNC for many years and then I found this wonderful site that Gerald has put to gather and sharing he plans. Have been lurking around the site and getting parts together and waiting for that Australian dollar to get better before ordering yet more parts from the overseas.

I guess that I will need to start the thread as that I now have laser cut parts coming very soon thanks for Rick (rnixon) (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823) :rolleyes: at a good price

I will start to add photo's as the build starts.

Regards

Paul

MattyZee
Mon 29 June 2009, 07:16
Great to here you've got started (or ordered :) ). I doubt anyone could beat Ricks price unless they have access to their own laser cutter.
Good luck with the build! There's a few Aussie MechMates getting started now

skippy
Tue 30 June 2009, 00:49
Here as some Photo's that Rick sent me on the Laser Cut Kit and they do look good :D. Rick just getting a quote on shipping them to me. I guess that I will need to pull my finger out and start building once they arrive.

AuS MaDDoG
Sat 11 July 2009, 17:26
Looking good!!
I will need to keep an eye on this build as I too would like to start a build. I have never done anything of this magnitude before so it is a little daunting, plus I have always worked with wood and plastics, not steel and electronics.
So your thread will be of great interest to me.
I am located in Brisbane, not sure where you are in QLD, maybe we can catch up one day!!

Cheers
Tony.

skippy
Mon 13 July 2009, 04:22
Hi Tony

I know who you are. It is such a small world. At the next MASQ Meeting (Marine Aquarium Society of Queensland ) the other Hobby I can bring the Spider plate down so you can see the quantity if needed. Where is Mrs AuS MaDDoG going to let you to build it. But if she does let you build it I will be the one watching you as you build of the Marine tank was great.

Regards

Paul

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 13 July 2009, 04:54
Well I'll be!! I had a funny feeling it was you :) we need to get together Paul and discuss this venture could be good for both of us!!
I look forward to catching up with you!!

Cheers
Tony.

skippy
Mon 13 July 2009, 05:04
I have let the cat out the bag in the post above the parts have turn up today. :D
Very happy with them. Have the added some pic's of the wonderful packing the Rick did. Just wish that everyone would pack that way for shipping. That's not a cardboard box it's a wooden box(Chip board) very well packed. I would recommend :) getting the parts from Rick. I just pulled out the spider plate before it got to dark tonight the workmanship is very good. Sorry :eek: about the pic's the washing is still on the line.

skippy
Mon 13 July 2009, 05:13
I should add some of the photo's of the parts that I have been getting together for that last 9 months most of the electronics except the Gecko's the BOB the spindle and OM gear box Motor's

skippy
Mon 13 July 2009, 05:28
Hopefully will be look a 15' touch screen internet booth tomorrow. details below with photo. I will just use the screen keyboard and trackball. All vandal proof. Also looks that it is the Mechmate Blue colour as well :D

Only about AUD $250 about the same price of the metal enclosure they have about 100 units.

15" Touch Screen LCD Kiosk System with External Keyboard/Trackball

Unit comes with a SFF Desktop PC inside:
Intel Celeron 2.00GHz
256MB DDR
40GB Hard Disk.
CDROM, Wifi
Microsoft Windows XP Pro COA.
External Keyboard with trackball mouse.
15" Touchscreen Panel EFL-1501X.
Swecoin TTP 8200 Kiosk Thermal Printer.
Built-in Surge protection.
Front mounted headphone Jack.
Dimensions: (H x L x D): 116cm x 69cm x 76cm.
We send Australia wide

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 14 July 2009, 04:06
Pm sent.

Castone
Tue 14 July 2009, 20:24
That is a very nice looking Unit !!

skippy
Wed 15 July 2009, 06:41
I been and had a look of them today:). The one with the keyboard is a sit down one and the one without the keyboard is a stand at and work one. The in build keyboard and track ball would be good but could become clogged with dust etc. And very hard to clean if a all.:mad: A USB keyboard and mouse are quite cheap;) and can be replace every year or more.

So it looks like it will be the one with out keyboard. :o

15" Touch Screen LCD Kiosk System

Unit comes with a SFF Desktop PC inside:
Intel Celeron 2.00GHz
256MB DDR
40GB Hard Disk
CDROM, Wifi
Microsoft Windows XP Pro COA
Keyboard included for maintenance and setup.
15" Touchscreen Panel EFL-1501X
Swecoin TTP 8200 Kiosk Thermal Printer.
Built-in surge protection.
Front mounted headphone Jack.
Dimensions: (H x L x D): 135cm x 69cm x 63cm

The PC is an IBM mini desktop. It also has ethernet and power on the back of the Kiosk unit. AUD $350.00 each or AUD $250.00 each for two or more. Just need to workout how to fit it into car. :eek:

They are selling like hotcakes.

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 15 July 2009, 16:17
Hi Paul,

Count me in for one of the stand up ones also, if you think that is the way to go!! I have a trailer but no towbar if thats of any help??
Pm me for my phone number or send me yours and I will give you a call.
When are you planning on trying to collect them ??

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Thu 16 July 2009, 11:18
Mouth watering...

sailfl
Thu 16 July 2009, 17:12
Paul,

That is one fancy stand up input station. I am pretty casual. I have my computer on an old rolling computer table with a bucket turned upside down with a blanket on it for my chair.

skippy
Mon 20 July 2009, 06:53
Today
Tony (AuS MaDDoG) (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919), his brother with a ute (pickup truck) and myself pickup two of those beauties.:D

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5299&d=1247659447

Have loaded Mech3 on to my unit. Which runs so far without any problems. Once I remove Thermal Printer there lots of room to mount all of the control gear. The MechMate master controller is now coming along nicely.

Was able to show Tony (AuS MaDDoG) (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919) the great workmanship of the laser cut parts that I got from Rick (rnixon) (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823) He may have some more orders soon.

Regards
Paul

skippy
Wed 22 July 2009, 07:12
A Quick update

Here are some photo of a cleaned unit (Soon to be Mechmate Controller)
plus photo's of the unit opened up the black object with the white roll is the Kiosk printer that I'm looking a removing and mounting the Controller equipment in it's place. You will also see the in the door at the front bottom is the where the PC (IBM) is mounted and behind that is the Power supply for the printer and maybe the screen but will need to look into that.

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 22 July 2009, 08:24
even a free stepper motor...I WANT one:D

scoshow
Wed 22 July 2009, 16:44
Hey there Paul,
I'm in Brisbane too. Could you count me in on one of the kiosks?
Or could you tell me where I can get one?
cheers
rosco

skippy
Sun 26 July 2009, 05:12
Was able to take a coupe of photos of the back of the unit opened up before i moved it

patclan
Tue 04 August 2009, 22:39
This is all getting exciting, I want to build a CNC and as I constantly search the Net I keep coming back to this site and I like the MM. It was looking quite daunting but as I am in Brisbane and I see you guys discussing this I am thinking it may not be out of reach.

As you build your Machines would you by any chance be able to put up all the suppliers you have used in Australia or not? I am new to Australia slash Brisbane so not familiar with any of the companies.

DO you have any idea what your overal outlay/cost is going to be or pregected? I am wondering if its worth while buying one of those chinese ones for 13k ish..

Also who is doing your welding? are you doing it your self? I have never done it before, not that that would stop me I guess, Aldi where selling Welding machines last week.

Anyway good to see other Brisbanites on here, so good luck..

shaper
Wed 05 August 2009, 02:46
Pat

I'm currently building in Perth, from what I've been able to find either from this site, quotes and outrights guesses, I believe I'll be able to do it for around $7000 plus my time, but as the saying goes your mileage may vary depending very much on how you choose to build, what options are important to you and what material/equipment you have available to you. Some on this website you will see have been able to do it for as little as $4-5k. Safe to say though that you should be well under the 13k you quote for the chinese machine :D.

Jed

patclan
Wed 05 August 2009, 18:35
Thanks Jed,

I have just bought a house which needs 2 bathrooms a laundry and a Kitchen replaced, as much as the MM wont make the kitchen sink I am hoping to build one that I can use to make all the cabinets and doors, then I will just need to get the doors 2 pac'd.

I have nothing available to me at the moment so I am having to source everything, I have some money coming from the tax man :-) so I will be using this, my justification to the misses is the savings building my own cabinets, if I spend all this money and then have to buy cabinets I will be dead meat!!

servant74
Wed 05 August 2009, 20:01
If you wanted to be just a little 'too gung-ho' for my tastes, you could use your MM to make an appropriate 3D form for a kitchen sink, then cast it out of concrete :)

It may not be made directly from the MM, but it is an amazingly flexable tool. We are only limited by our imagination.

Send me a PM and I can send you some links on making concrete counter tops, sinks, etc. It is yet another skill I have not developed.

Right now, I am working with a friend to make a workshop out of concrete for me, where I want to put a MM! Sofar we have started casting pieces for it. (I'll show a pix or two once it is done.)

KenC
Thu 06 August 2009, 00:25
Casting concrete counter-top will be like playing in mud pit (literally) for your skill level ;)

Cost next to noting as well... and with care, beautiful result is almost guarantee every time.

patclan
Thu 06 August 2009, 03:08
I have been doing more research, not sure how you all feel about other Brands/Models, I know this is the mechmate forum but I have found a chinese CNC router 8x4 shipped free to Brisbane for $7k. I realise then there will be no fun in building and learning all about your machine but just wonder if it will take me a year to build and should I just get it deliverd (they say within a couple of weeks) and I can get stuck in..

More food for thought I guess..

shaper
Thu 06 August 2009, 18:13
Pat

One of the jobs I have for my MM when finished sounds remarkably similar to that. I have a property that will be a weekender but needs a house. Not to push the MM bandwagon here but I think the MM at $7k is a better deal, because it includes all the tools you get to buy along the way to build and it's more than possible that a very functionall MM could be built for less.

Jed

MattyZee
Thu 06 August 2009, 19:23
Patrick,

Be aware that 'free' shipping is only FOB from china. there will be GST and local port duties that will easily add up to $2-3k. I know someone who just imported 2 machines similar size to the MM and the duties were over $8k!. Thats was a 'free' shipping deal too. So do you research here with a broker to get a feel for costs. I'm pretty sure you will come back to the MM :-)

patclan
Thu 06 August 2009, 22:29
Ok Guys, China is out, I am convinced.. One of the things I was excited about was the build and all the tools I get to collect.. I just need to get over my fear of welding :-)

Now I just need to read read read..

domino11
Thu 06 August 2009, 22:40
Pat,
Have you seen Jeff's build yet? He is doing a mostly wood table assembly with the resultant minimal welding required. Take a look here.
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789

jhiggins7
Fri 07 August 2009, 05:05
Hey Patrick,

I'm also "challenged" when it comes to welding. If you are going to weld the MM yourself, the best advice is get a welder and practice, practice, practice. Some MM builders have had the welding done by others.

Look at the discussion about welders on this Forum. There are also forums dedicated to welding.

One other point. Once you get the metal for the table and begin to dimension the stock for the MM components, you will have metal scrap to use to practice, practice, practice.

domino11
Fri 07 August 2009, 06:41
I also did as John suggested, but many years ago. I purchased a MIG welder and practiced on scrap until I could make a passable weld. Its really not that bad once you get the feel to it. I find MIG much easier to learn than oxy or stick welding. :)

skippy
Thu 03 September 2009, 06:10
Some of the Motors have arrived

The first box of two has arrived while the second is still stuck in customs. The bottle of wine is to give scale to the photo's. The supplier was Mark of TRI-R in Canada listed in The Market Place.

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 03 September 2009, 06:15
:eek:I guess my 5 are the ones that are confiscated :rolleyes:
All good Skip!!
The motors look huge :D

Cheers
Tony.

domino11
Thu 03 September 2009, 06:46
Paul,
Glad Mark could help you out. He was really nice to deal with, and when I ordered my motors, He actually saved me a few dollars over ordering direct from Oriental. :)

skippy
Thu 22 October 2009, 05:02
The steel has arrived on AuS MaDDoG Lawn for both Tony and my tables see the pics Here (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31468&postcount=47)

The US$ is looking good against the Aussie Dollar so now is the time to buy more parts for our tables from the US.

skippy
Sat 31 October 2009, 03:29
About to Order the dualVee wheels bearing sets (with eccentrics) from Rick at Superior Bearings

Does anybody have a full list of bearing that we need to complete the Mechmate Build inculding the Skate bearings. I see that we need "6304 2RSR Sealed Ball Bearing" Hold-Down Idler Roller M1 30 200 AA

Regards

Paul

sprayhead
Sat 31 October 2009, 18:30
Hi,

Just a quickie, how much better is it to buy OM's from Canada?

nice buy!
francis

skippy
Sat 31 October 2009, 19:09
Francis

They are about half the price of the buying them from the local supplier. Just watch out the motors a very heavy so shipping is a killer.

Paul

skippy
Wed 04 November 2009, 05:06
Have ordered the 2 x Mechmate V-Roller bearing sets (with eccentrics) kits from Rick of Superior Bearing Company.
One for Tony (Aus Maddog) and One for myself. Should be here in the next coupe of weeks.

Superior Bearing Company
www.SuperiorBearing.com
937-470-9524
rick@superiorbearing.com
or
info@superiorbearing.com

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 09 November 2009, 17:11
Hi Paul,

Just thought I would drop you a quick note from the UK to see if our V rollers and bearings have arrived yet ??
Catch up with you soon.

Cheers
Tony.

skippy
Tue 10 November 2009, 05:40
Hi Tony

They cleared customs on the 9th Nov so expect to see them any day now

PS Having fun in UK?

Regards

Paul

skippy
Wed 11 November 2009, 05:43
Tony

They have arrived.

28 - GW3 bearing
12 - B3X - bushing

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 11 November 2009, 11:44
Hi Paul,

Fantastic!! we are getting there, will catch up with you when I get back from the UK :)
Cheers
Tony.

skippy
Wed 02 December 2009, 05:26
Racks and Pinions have been ordered hopefully they will be here before Christmas.

paul

skippy
Wed 09 December 2009, 20:19
First set of 5 x 203V Gecko's have been ordered. :)

Second set 5 x 203V Gecko will ordered a little bit later as if we keep the orders under AUD $1000.00 we don't need to pay Customs and import duty (5-20%) and GST (10%) plus logement fee (~AUD$55.00) :mad:

Appimate
Wed 09 December 2009, 20:40
Hello Paul

FYI, when you bring stuff in from the States that was made there you shouldn't have to pay duty due to the free trade Agreement - having said that Customs may try it on ( they did once with me ) but when told " readily " admit the error.

It's also one of those taxes that is against the Constitution in that they shouldn't levey tax on a tax, but do.

Where did you get your racks??

Ed

skippy
Thu 10 December 2009, 04:51
Ed

We need to watch the wording/terminology with the Government bodies as some of the parts that I was ordering was parts where made in China or Japan but assembled in the USA So not 100% made in the USA but coming from Canada. And the import duty is a duty not a tax where GST is Goods and Services Tax so it a tax. Therefore not a tax on a tax but a tax on a duty. We can't beat them at that game:mad:

The rack and pinions
Ross or Surfcnc on the forum he organize a group buy from Hong Kong so we could use shipping instead of Air freight, minimum weight to go buy sea. With a great price an low shipping we couldn't pass up the deal. About USD$10 / metre for the racks and USD$4-5 per pinion plus shipping.:D

Regards

Paul

skippy
Thu 10 December 2009, 06:27
Well be busy today Also have our 2 x Water cooled spindle 1.5KW and matching inverter on the way and have also waiting on a quote including shipping on the BOB's from PDXM as well as 2x Spindle Mounts from dacostad on the forum as well.

Besser
Sat 12 December 2009, 04:02
Sounds like it's all moving along nicely. Post some pics when you can.

skippy
Wed 16 December 2009, 05:33
I had some boxes turn up today :D but the spindles have not made it to Australia yet just went for a trip around China so far :mad: the wine bottle is for scale.

jeffa
Wed 16 December 2009, 09:19
Paul,

Your wine bottle seems to be mysteriously loosing its contents from one picture to the next ;).

Jeff

Robert M
Wed 16 December 2009, 10:05
Jeff….
I wouldn’t worry too much about is drinking and working….not even a full class and over three mounts as past since last pic…. :rolleyes:
But again, this could be his unfinished last bottle out of a crate :eek:!!!!

Claudiu
Wed 16 December 2009, 10:53
Everybody should have a glass of red wine.
It contains Resferatrol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol). Very good for mind and body. Cheers!!!:)

skippy
Thu 17 December 2009, 04:44
Who said that it's the same bottle of wine (I'm not sure):rolleyes:. I have about 200-300 bottles of red wine. ;)
And more keeps on coming each month or so. It's so nice sitting and unwinding with a glass or bottle after a hard day of work. Well that's my excuse :D

Besser
Thu 17 December 2009, 06:31
Paul, our govt lets us get in upto $1000 of stuff before hitting us with charges. Try splitting your deliveries to suit this.

Gerald D
Thu 17 December 2009, 08:11
Re charges, I don't know if your gov. has the same attitude as ours . . . .if the consignee is a private individual at a domestic address, then they tend to turn a blind eye.

skippy
Mon 04 January 2010, 05:33
Some parts have arrived :)

Spindles after been ship to me 3 times each time they return to the suppler by China customs :mad: and the last time the made here :D

Spindles Mounts
You can order them from http://www.spindlemounts.com.

The Mechmate sizing wine bottle ;) is in some of the photos for your enjoyment.
P.S. That's last bottle of it and now it is empty and very nice drop as well.

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 04 January 2010, 05:47
Very Niceeeeeee!!!!:)

Cheers
Tony.

Claudiu
Tue 05 January 2010, 00:30
I think it`s time to open a new bottle of wine :)...

skippy
Tue 19 January 2010, 06:38
Well I don't have any photos that I have taken so no Mechmate sizing wine bottle in them.:D

But I being doing some work on the spindle coolant supply and I have read in a coupe of posts that a flow meter would be a very good idea. Now the flow meter that i have found only provide simple DC output pulses in proportion to supply voltage and fluid flow. Will the BOB i.e. pmdx-125 take the pulse or does it need a consent level ie high for on low for off (flow running or not) as I can make a PCB (EaglePCB) on the Mechmate to do this once it up an running.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/product_13233.jpg

Digital Flowmeter Reed Switch Type 0.8 - 8 l/min

These flowmeters provide simple DC output pulses in proportion to supply voltage and fluid flow which makes interfacing easy. Both have impellers made from acetal and stainless steel shafts, so will work with low viscosity fluids.

Specifications:
• Switching voltage: 200VDC max
• Switching current: 500mA max
• Switching frequency: 500 Hz max
• Operating time: 0.5 ms.
• Release time: 0.2 ms
• Dimensions: 77(L) x 29(W) x 41(H)mm

http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/ZD1202.pdf

Regards

Paul

MattyZee
Tue 19 January 2010, 14:41
I don't have a flow sensor yet on my machine. But i'm thinking of using the same sensor. I was going to make a simple charge pump circuit similar to what is used on the BOB's, but obviously a much lower frequency. The theory then is that as long as you have a certain number of pulses per second coming in, the output will be high otherwise the output will go low (or vice versa). I haven't done the calcs yet but i hope you can acheive a reliablt 'pump' with such a low frequency.

skippy
Thu 21 January 2010, 05:56
Been looking at the flow sensor circuit today. Taken from http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#30

skippy
Wed 27 January 2010, 07:12
I have been working on the coolant system. The flow sensor has NPT Male connectors, the screw on fittings are John Guest plus other fittings which will connect to the John Guest 1/4" tube which happen to be a perfect match to the coolant connectors on the spindle. The large 100mm pipe with the unistrut pipe clamps will be the tank for the coolant and will be bolted to the leg under the Mechmate table. The pump is a AquaBee not sure which one, details below but will test the resistant in the spindle and tubing but testing will work that out. Lucky that I have most of those pumps as spare for the Marine fish tank.

UP300 300L/H 4 Watts 0.6 Headheight in metres
UP500 500L/H 5 Watts 1.2 Headheight in metres
UP1000 1000L/H 10 Watts 1.3 Headheight in metres

KenC
Wed 27 January 2010, 07:47
Paul, Are those PVC pipe? PVC pipe are not known for their heat conductivity, you might not get much cooling with it.

Claudiu
Wed 27 January 2010, 09:21
Cooling is really not such a big problem with those chinese spindles. I was cutting now for almost 30 hours without major interuptions, my water tank is about 1 liter and the Spindle does not even reach handwarm temp. It is only recirculating, I don´t even have a radiator mount on the machine.
Good luck

Surfcnc
Wed 27 January 2010, 15:09
Paul - the pump, pipes and reservoir are all well thought out. It is particularly good news to hear the pipe connection to the spindle has turned out for the best.
regards
Ross

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 27 January 2010, 16:06
Hi Paul,

Email sent this morning to PMDX regarding ordering our 4 x PMDX-125's
Good progress with the cooling system, with regards to the Pvc pipe being bolted to the leg we may have to relocate it, as we have 50 x 50mm rails running between the legs across the Y.
The height from the underside of the foot to the underside of the Y support channels is 650mm and the height from the underside of the foot plate to the underside of the 50 x 50mm rail is 155mm.

Bearing in mind we also have braces where these rails are. Check the drawing in my Journal to see what I am talking about.

Cheers
Tony.

KenC
Wed 27 January 2010, 22:22
Claus, thanks for the head up. I'm moving my attention to the spindle + VFD now.
My plan is simple, I visualize a close water circulating system using the pipe & tiny reservoir for radiating any heat... I visualize copper or Aluminum pipes in & out into a beer can with a pump submerge within the can. & a external tube level indication. All this will be on the Y-car or even better if I can hang the whole concoction beside the spindle.

skippy
Wed 17 February 2010, 03:52
Well I have been really sick with a lung infection and so far be off work for three weeks. I've put the spindle coolant work on hold as the drugs cloud the mind and don't what to make a mistake. We today I felt a lot better so I taken some photo's

Pic 1. I mounted the E-stop to Mechmate Controller Screen and it's the only place it will fit and mount the new key lock as well.

Pic 2 There are the 8 x proximity sensor I ordered a while ago.

Pic 3 Are the E-stop box's (buying 10 is cheaper than buying 8)

Pic 4 Are the buttons (8 of ea colour), 8x E-stops and one light stack I ordered a while ago

Pic 5 Are 35 x Double DIN Connector I ordered a while ago (Don't know if I will use then yet)

Pic 6 in the A-Justa-Foot 16mm and is rated for 1000kg plus the tap to suit.

Alan_c
Wed 17 February 2010, 05:48
That wine bottle has been empty for too long (maybe thats why the lungs are poorly, not enough lubrication :)) get well soon.

Travish
Wed 17 February 2010, 14:22
Hey! Nice Pat light! We have these on our machines in my trade and I was planning to put one on my MM until I say the price of them. You have some good quality components there for your build.

PS, your going to need some more wine! :)

skippy
Wed 17 February 2010, 20:26
All the e-stop, button switch's and stack light cost me less than AUD $200 including shipping and shipping was about AUD $50.

The details of the ebay seller are below I bought them over a year ago but are still selling them.

The ebay seller
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/hongkongsuperseller/

All the below link were done 18 Feb 2010

Here is 4 x E-stop @ USD $21.99

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-Emergency-Stop-Mushroom-PushButton-660V-Switches-132_W0QQitemZ300370794050QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item45ef7e9642

Here is the stack light @ USD $29.99

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tower-Signal-Safety-Stack-Alarm-R-G-Y-12V-Light-Bulb_W0QQitemZ120530003206QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Co ntrol_Systems_PLCs?hash=item1c1025e506

The 4 x Green Button Switch @ USD $9.99

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4x-Telemecanique-Emergency-ON-OFF-OFF-ON-Switch-GEA_W0QQitemZ120463644761QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c0c315859

The 4 x Blue Button Switch @ USD $9.99

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4X-Telemecanique-Emergency-ON-OFF-N-C-Push-Switch-BEA_W0QQitemZ290377469659QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item439bd88edb

The 4 x Yellow Button Switch @ USD $9.99

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4x-Telemecanique-Emergency-ON-OFF-OFF-ON-Switch-YEA_W0QQitemZ300372921014QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item45ef9f0ab6

skippy
Mon 22 February 2010, 03:21
Pic 1 Last week I drill all of the E-stop box (All holes are the same size 22mm so switch's maybe move around if needed)

Pic 2 Is the USB to RS-485 converter for the speed control of the Huanyang VFD using the plugin for Mach3 that Matt has written see link below

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37836&postcount=95

skippy
Tue 30 March 2010, 03:51
Time for some more photo's

Close up of collect that I ordered a coupe of weeks ago

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9107&stc=1&d=1269941449

Showing the four sets that I bought for Myself and Tony(Aus Maddog)

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9108&stc=1&d=1269941449

Showing the size of the ER11 Collect against the MechMate Wine Bottle

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9109&stc=1&d=1269941449

The Power supply box out of the touch screen Computer ( http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27864&postcount=17 )

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9110&stc=1&d=1269941449

Showing the power supply box now with the MechMate power hardware mounted yet to be wired up

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9111&stc=1&d=1269941449

Showing the layout of the BOB and the gecko's that will be mounted the the front of the power supply box. Also showing the heatsink and the fan that the gecko's will be mounted on (Heatsink will be added to the top of the BOB mounting plate by a piece of angle Aluminum)

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9112&stc=1&d=1269941459

Alan_c
Tue 30 March 2010, 05:10
Pics not showing up?

skippy
Tue 30 March 2010, 23:33
Time for some more photo's (this time with photo hopefully)

Close up of collect that I ordered a coupe of weeks ago

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9130&stc=1&d=1270013340

Showing the four sets that I bought for Myself and Tony(Aus Maddog)
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9131&stc=1&d=1270013340

Showing the size of the ER11 Collect against the MechMate Wine Bottle

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9132&stc=1&d=1270013340

The Power supply box out of the touch screen Computer ( http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...4&postcount=17 )

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9133&stc=1&d=1270013340

Showing the power supply box now with the MechMate power hardware mounted yet to be wired up

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9134&stc=1&d=1270013340

Showing the layout of the BOB and the gecko's that will be mounted the the front of the power supply box. Also showing the heatsink and the fan that the gecko's will be mounted on (Heatsink will be added to the top of the BOB mounting plate by a piece of angle Aluminum)

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9135&stc=1&d=1270013349

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 31 March 2010, 04:41
Hey,

Whats going on Paul?? now you got your photos up twice lol !!

Cheers
Tony.

Robert M
Wed 31 March 2010, 07:56
Tony….I goes to say, one should never mix alcohol & work :D

Kobus_Joubert
Wed 31 March 2010, 12:20
Maybe we all had a little bit of wine...seeing double

AuS MaDDoG
Wed 31 March 2010, 15:47
lol :D
I'm still seeing double this morning Robert, surely I did not have that much to drink last night ;)

Cheers
Tony.

skippy
Thu 08 April 2010, 05:24
I have purchase some heavy castor's for the table today for the table as tony and myself are building the table together here is my table and Tony's in behind
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40475&postcount=141

Hopefully we will have Tony's table on it's feet this week-end.

PS the Mechmate wine bottle is to give some size. I will keep on using the same bottle to be consistent but many more will be drunk plus lot's and lot's from spirits for my still as well.

skippy
Thu 08 April 2010, 05:27
I forgot to say that they are only AUD $99 each incl GST (Goods and Sevice Tax) are are rated to 500kg each

Red_boards
Fri 09 April 2010, 20:49
Enjoying this build thread and learning a lot for my project. Thanks for the detail, photos and updates - they're really helping me see where I need to go.

Travish
Mon 12 April 2010, 14:24
Hey paul,

You will like the big castors on the MM. I move mine around constantly while I work on it. How are you going about attaching them to the table?

skippy
Wed 14 April 2010, 05:51
Travis

I'm going to mount a 50mmx100mm tube (Mounting plate on the castor is 100mmx175mm) at a 45% angle behind the leg ie between the front and back connect to the bottom rail as this will keep the caster is out of the way and I will not trip over it. I will take a photo when it's done in the next week or so.

Paul

skippy
Sun 09 May 2010, 05:54
Well A time of the Electronics update for both Tony (Aus MaDDog) and myself. I have being spending a day a week over at Tony house do the metal work for the so the updates have being slow.

Well wired the spindle to power and made it spin only for short periods of time (30-60s) as I don't have the coolant up and running yet. With Speed control with Mach 3 thanks to MattZee for the plug-in.

The first photo is of the the complete setup with the setup and also the EMI filters that will be installed. Yellow are the the powered coated iron Toroid core (VFD to Spindle) and the Black box with the silver label is the 240V AC EMI filter (Power Source to VFD)

The second photo shows the RS485 Wiring from the (USB converter to VFD) You will see that I grounded one end at the PC end (that's the shield cable)

The Third photo show the the VFD Wiring the black cable from the left-hand side the VFD power source and the right-hind side is the spindle cable.

(This is the test setup and not the final wiring cable types)

I have a lot of old PC power cables that I use for testing purpose

(Also these photos will help me when I finale do it for real as the cables maybe used of other testing etc or come off while moving it around )

Surfcnc
Mon 10 May 2010, 01:17
Hi Paul

Thanks for the pics - I see exactly what the connections are now.

Regards
Ross

skippy
Mon 10 May 2010, 05:09
The Jog Controllers have arrived

An on-line shop was doing a Promotion on the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for windows and save about 25% or more on the standard price. And will be using the Xbox 360 Plug-in for Mach3 http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,12753.0.html

Regards

Paul

Surfcnc
Mon 10 May 2010, 05:33
Paul welcome to wireless control, I have found it to be very easy to setup.

Although we have different systems, one experience I have had immediately comes to mind - be careful with the functions you assign to the buttons on the front of the game pad.
The front buttons are easy to press as you grab the controller, so make sure you assign non critical functions to these if you choose to program them.
Initially I had an estop and pause assigned to two of the four front buttons on my controller and was accidentally pressing them.

You might be less clumsy but good design always considers clumsy in the design !!

Regards
Ross

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 10 May 2010, 12:12
Forget about the controllers... I like the REAL WOODEN floors..:)

skippy
Thu 13 May 2010, 03:46
The Machined parts have arrived.

The 3 x Z-slide for Ross (Surfcnc), Tony (AuS MaDDoG) and Myself (skippy)
2x idle arm for Tony (AuS MaDDoG) and Myself (skippy)
12 x Bearing support for Tony (AuS MaDDoG) and Myself (skippy)

Sourced from
Collins Welding & Engineering & CNC Turning & Milling
5/8 Havton St
Stafford 4053
+61 7 3352 4400

Regards

Paul

PS there are some more wooden floor shots for Kobus , The whole house has Hardwood floors and they are about 48 years old. The people in the house before me covered the beautiful wooden floors with carpets. I have ripped up all the carpet and lino and had them polished (only about half as I have about a tonne of Marine Fish tank and it to hard to move)

Sergio-k
Thu 13 May 2010, 04:07
Nice to see you going Paul.

Concerning your VFD wiring, i noticed that you have wired your
input's ground to the chinese symbol next to 'W'.
However your earth bolt is the one with the ground symbol just below
that terminal.

Sergio

Sergio-k
Thu 13 May 2010, 04:23
My mistake Paul
I have just disasembled the VFD just to be sure and
that terminal is the ground of VFD.:D

Kobus_Joubert
Thu 13 May 2010, 04:30
Those floors are really something....wish they were mine.:)

Surfcnc
Thu 13 May 2010, 04:42
Hey Kobus - the timber is brushbox a tough hardwood species we have here.
The older timber is quite mesmerizing to look at in a polished floor, it can provide hours of entertainment checking out the patterns and colour variations.
The Queenslander style homes are elevated on stumps in order to keep them cool in summer, the downside is they can be pretty cold even in subtropical Brisbane in winter.
Like Paul I have chosen to strip and polish all my previous homes timber floors, just because they look so good !!

Ross

tangocharlie123
Fri 09 July 2010, 18:28
Hi Paul

How was the workmanship from Collins welding would you reccomend that I get them to do one or would it be cheaper to do a bulk order.

Did you just supply them with the drawing and they went from there.

and were they reasonable on cost after my last expierence with engineers four brackets costover $200.

Cheers.
Peter
The Machined parts have arrived.

The 3 x Z-slide for Ross (Surfcnc), Tony (AuS MaDDoG) and Myself (skippy)
2x idle arm for Tony (AuS MaDDoG) and Myself (skippy)
12 x Bearing support for Tony (AuS MaDDoG) and Myself (skippy)

Sourced from
Collins Welding & Engineering & CNC Turning & Milling
5/8 Havton St
Stafford 4053
+61 7 3352 4400

Regards

Paul

PS there are some more wooden floor shots for Kobus , The whole house has Hardwood floors and they are about 48 years old. The people in the house before me covered the beautiful wooden floors with carpets. I have ripped up all the carpet and lino and had them polished (only about half as I have about a tonne of Marine Fish tank and it to hard to move)

skippy
Tue 17 August 2010, 05:30
Sorry

Long time between posts but have being very busy.

Pic 1. All 10 stepper motors have be terminated with Amphenol XLR 4 pin Connectors. the other four are at Tony's house. As well as both flow sensors with mini XLR 3 pin connectors as they will be plumb up inline now so we don't make a mess later as the sensor curcuit will be done later.

Pic 2. You will see the pmdx-125 mounted to our Bob plates and the clear spiral binding that we will use on the stepper motor wires.

skippy
Tue 12 October 2010, 05:34
Long time between posts

Been overseas for work (Taipei, Taiwan) and interstate as well and just been informed that I will need to go overseas most likely China some were and interstate again with in the month or so. But back to build.

A coupe of weeks ago I had finished installation of of all software drivers etc on the PC then I reboot to a total hard drive failure.:( Windows will not reinstall on the PC with a new Hard Drive.:mad:

So bought two second hand Dell PC that will fit into the controller box we little mod the holding bracket so that I can get to the connectors. This and the OS and interstate trips have set me back about 4 weeks as I have to setup the replacement PC so that I have a testbed again.

Looking on the bright side of this it I'm glad it happen before the machine was working. Lesson learnt building up two PC's with all software and settings so have a hotswap PC just need to move the Mach3 License across to it. Putting all those spare parts to use.;)

Well this weekend will be busy wiring up the tables.

Regards

Paul

Alan_c
Tue 12 October 2010, 15:32
Sorry to hear of your delays, hopefully the path ahead is smoother.

Do check that both PC's work as the controller. I also use a Dell Machine (bought two identical GX280's from the local Uni when they upgraded) one runs the machine perfectly, the other just misbehaves and constantly trips the e-stop, like when changing screens etc. Cant seem to make sense of it as they are identical, same MB same chip same RAM everything???

KenC
Wed 13 October 2010, 01:51
Give the PC interior a good spring cleaning, clean all contacts with alcohol; Uninstall all unnecessary software, then clean the memory, registry cleaner, defrag the hard disk & see what happens...

chrisd7306
Wed 13 October 2010, 03:05
I remember in the distant pass that Dell have their own version of Windows operating system, it was proprietary to Dell.
I have tried to load a standard version of Windows onto a Dell machine and it would not run no matter what I tried. When I loaded the original Dell disks, everything started to work. There were also some applications that did not run in the Dell environment.
This is when XP first came out, so this was a few years ago, I do not know how it is now.

skippy
Mon 22 November 2010, 03:38
Lost my cable for the camera so that haven't be able to post pictures so here a coupe old one's plus some new ones.

Pic 1
Show the two USB XBox 360 charge docks for our Xbox 360 wireless controllers
plus two Welding Connectors that we will use for a connect to the control box for the table earth.
And of course the Vectric Aspire 2.5 soon to be Ver. 3

Pic 2

10 x Neutrik USB connectors p/n NAUSB-W USB feed through IP65

Pic 3

Close up of the USB connector both front USB-A and back USB-B this will be use on our control box to connect the keyboard, mouse ,USB memory stick and USB XBox 360 charge dock.

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 22 November 2010, 06:13
Glad to see you have the correct software..just shout if I must come and help out with it...:D

chrisd7306
Mon 22 November 2010, 13:42
I have been looking for these USB connectors for some time but did not know who made them. At long last a name to the product - Neutrik.
Do you have an address where I can get a couple of them?

Thanks
Chris

skippy
Mon 22 November 2010, 17:15
Chris

I found them on ebay the seller that I got them form is "audio-spares" based in the UK

Here is the Link he still has about 20 for sale.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Neutrik-NAUSB-USB-Chassis-Panel-Data-Connector-Nickel-/190470948100?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2c58f40504

Or you can search for "Neutrik USB" in ebay and a coupe come up.

Regards

Paul

chrisd7306
Tue 23 November 2010, 16:08
Paul,
Thanks for the info.
Just by luck I went past Altronics yesterday in Melbourne and they had the Neutrik NAUSB-W for almost the same price as from the UK.

For those who are interested Altronics part numbers are :
P 0836 for the silver housing
P 0837 for the black housing

Cheers
Chris

skippy
Tue 30 November 2010, 04:29
Just got my update for Aspire to version V3 have downloaded it and installed it but have not played with it yet.

Regards

Paul

skippy
Tue 07 December 2010, 03:00
I've got my Mechmate Serial number it's 72 I'm very happy with that still have a lot to do.

Most of the build of the tables is in this link

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919

and here is shot of my my table and control boxes taken awhile ago

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_1233.jpg

and here is the shot of wiring Control Boxes That Tony's I doing and mine in the background waiting to do

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/scotsmanfaewayback/IMG_1488.jpg

Regards

Paul (Skippy)

Gerald D
Tue 07 December 2010, 04:02
I miss the wine bottle in the pics!

skippy
Tue 07 December 2010, 04:36
I still have the wine bottle. Just kept it for photo's so you may see it's return soon.:D

jhiggins7
Thu 09 December 2010, 06:57
Skippy,

Congratulations on earning Serial #72. In reading back over your and Tony's threads, I see how wonderful it has been for the two of you to work together to build your MechMates. That's special.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttqjIPMBEXKcExveGc4d3U0V25zQmMyX1U1eUVhU Xc&hl=en).

Please review your entry and send me a PM or reply to this thread for any changes you wish to make to your entry.

skippy
Mon 13 December 2010, 03:50
Still have a lot to do its amazing were the time goes doing all the fiddley bits!!:D

Regards

Paul (skippy)

MetalHead
Mon 13 December 2010, 06:16
So what is the Rum to MechMate ratio? :D 600:2 Maybe ??? :D

KenC
Mon 13 December 2010, 06:24
Still have a lot to do its amazing were the time goes doing all the fiddley bits!!:D

Regards

Paul (skippy)

Paul, Brace yourself, the fiddley bits just started...

Have fun!

Ken

Red_boards
Tue 14 December 2010, 02:44
Congrats guys.
Your build among others is what got me inspired to jump in.
Thanks for a nicely documented build.
Red

skippy
Fri 04 February 2011, 06:41
1 more sleep and the MechMate will be home. I think it is like Christmas.:D The BIG move is on tomorrow. I just hope it doesn't rain (leftover bits from Tropical Cyclone Yasi) i.e. see Ross's Thread (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48843&postcount=394)
I can't wait I hope it fits in my Garage with my car as well.

Regrads

skippy

skippy
Mon 07 February 2011, 19:35
The Move went well you can see the Move photo's here in Aus MaDDog thead

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48963&postcount=391

I wish to give a big thankyou to tangocharlie (Pete) and AuS MaDDog (Tony) for the hand that they gave me. :D

Paul

skippy
Tue 31 May 2011, 07:22
The Touch probes have arrived that I ordered from Gary at wildhorse-innovations Touch probe link (http://wildhorse-innovations.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=80)

I just can't wait to try them out but that will have to wait as I need to rewire the mechmate to try it out.

regards

skippy

AuS MaDDoG
Tue 31 May 2011, 17:28
Hi Paul,

No good sitting there on the floor :p get to work and get them working!! I also need you to reset up my existing touch tools, as they are no longer working under Mach3 since my little computer issue we had the other week.
Would be nice to get all these little un-finished/outstanding bits and pieces finished:)

Cheers
Tony.

r0bs
Thu 02 June 2011, 03:25
Some parts have arrived :)

Spindles after been ship to me 3 times each time they return to the suppler by China customs :mad: and the last time the made here :D

Spindles Mounts
You can order them from http://www.spindlemounts.com.

The Mechmate sizing wine bottle ;) is in some of the photos for your enjoyment.
P.S. That's last bottle of it and now it is empty and very nice drop as well.

Paul,

Can you please tell me where you bought your Spindle from?
Also model number would be great.
I'm just starting a build in Brisbane, but trying to get pricing/supply of everything before starting.
I couldn't see that part in any of your posts?

Rob Stewart

skippy
Sat 04 June 2011, 00:46
Rob,
We bought them off Ebay the seller was love-happyshopping (http://myworld.ebay.com/love-happyshopping/) We started with 2x 1.5Kw and 2x 1.5Kw Huanyang. We wanted to control the spindle with Mach3. We had a lot of problems with the Huanyang inverter and replaced them with Hitachi SJ200 which after a little setup problem they work with not problems. Then then we upgraded the spindles to 2.2Kw from love-happyshopping as we have not had any problem with the spindles. Also the 1.5kw and 2.2kw spindle are same with mounting. If I was you or (myself doing it again)this is what I do

1. Spindles from love-happyshopping go with the 2.2Kw as it has a ER20 collet 1.5Kw has a ER16 Collet
2. Hitachi SJ200 or Hitachi X200 from drives warehouse (http://www.driveswarehouse.com)
3. One of these converters USB to RS485 converter (http://www.commfront.com/USB-Serial-Adapters-Converters/Isolated-USB-RS232-RS485-RS422-Converter.htm)

PS I can sell you a 1.5Kw spindle and 1.5kw Huanyang inverter had nearly no use :D

Regards

Paul

skippy
Sun 31 July 2011, 05:50
Well been busy, So here is the Arduino powered MechMate Flow and temperature Monitor proto-type running on my machine.

It interfaces to the flow sensor that was mounted earlier in the build. and also to 4 temperate sensors Holding Tank, Air, Input to Tank(From spindle), Output from tank to spindle. The Temperature sensors are a Dallas 1 wire DS18B20 and these are housed in a Stainless Steel probe which match the same size for the John Guest tubing and fittings that we used.

KenC
Sun 31 July 2011, 22:31
Cool!
Where will you mount the display?

skippy
Mon 01 August 2011, 05:10
Ken and everyone else

Most likely under the table next to flow meter and pump in a case as this is a monitor to the coolant system. As we want Mach3 to display and control it in the further I'm have some problems with this but I think it is due the EMF/EMI (electrical noise) looking a fiber optics to get other this EMF/EMI issue.

Don't forget this is a proto-type will be making a Arduino shield with this on MechMate once I have it working 100% Temp is good but the flow rate needs a little bit of work.

It is always nice to have a backup system:D

Paul

AuS MaDDoG
Mon 01 August 2011, 05:54
Good work Paul,

Looks like your on the right track now though, neat little read out with the info we wanted.:D
Keep me posted if you need a hand to kick thinks along.

Cheers
Tony

skippy
Tue 26 February 2013, 05:03
Well it's been what long time since any update so here goes

I got an atypical mycobacterium infection marine fauna in my right hand which put my right hand out of use for about a month or two. This is a very nasty infection that you can catch from the seaside or marine fish tanks if it is not diagnosed and treated promptly you can kill you.:eek:

Just got back to work and then I got vertigo which then put me off work for three months. Without being now would do anything with my machine for quite a while.

All that aside let's get on to the update

The local school which I'm part of the P&C (Parents and Citizens) which commissioned to create the sign for the new hall which has just been built. After after a vote of the kids of the school the kids voted on one of their grade 7 teachers name which is "Steve McMahon" from a raft of aboriginal names that meant meeting place or gathering places.

After a trip down to local timber yard with the P&C president we ended up on settling on a Quilla foot tread use for decking steps or other uses

The first photo you will see the first cut before all the prep work before that terrible thing called painting and sealing.:(

The second photo you'll see the sign seeing my front yard on milk crates just after being hosed the Quilla timber has a lot of tannins that need to be washed out of the timber before coating. The recommended time is to leave it out in the weather for 6 to 8 weeks to age naturally. This is me force ageing the timber.

You will see in the third photo that the wood is getting lighter colour this is after many wetting down with hoses

In the fourth photo you'll see a lot of difference from the first photo or second this is getting ready for painting and sealing.

In the fifth and sixth photo you can see the finished product.

After many months awaiting to fix the sign to Hall who was finally done last weekend in a working bee at the school. In the seventh photo you can see the sign mounted is a bit of packing underneath the sign above the door which will have to stay there for two weeks while the liquid nails sets and fully goes off. There is also six brad nails holding in place.

skippy (Paul)

Surfcnc
Wed 27 February 2013, 02:34
Sign you say - looks more like a tree with some letters on it :D
Nice work and great to see one of the Mechmate twins getting a run.

Skippy the door immediately under that sign will transmit vibration up to the fixing.
Liquid nails has a habit of becoming brittle over an extended period of time and may not survive the constant challenge the vibrations will present.
Use a few stout batten or hex head fixings to secure the sign.

I'm for kids and dogs - that one is for the kids:)

Regard
Ross

AuS MaDDoG
Thu 28 February 2013, 01:56
Skippy,

If there is enough liquid nails applied over the larger area of the sign, you should not have any issue with it letting go. That is of course that the surface being bonded too is strong enough. I would tend to think like Ross and be sure that stronger mechanical through fixings are used. Better safe than sorry especially when there are kids around and with such a solid and heavy piece of timber.
Looks good all the same well done.

Cheers
Tony

Surfcnc
Sun 03 March 2013, 15:57
Paul - I have contacted Steve McMahon directly.
The comments from myself and Tony deserved a response.:mad:

Ross

skippy
Mon 04 March 2013, 04:31
Hi All
Sorry for no response but just getting back from being away.

Just to let you know I was not the one that set out how the sign was mounted a chippy was the one said the best way of mounting the sign after seeing in real life what we could do to mount too in the area where the sign was going. They are going to check it out then go back to remove the blocks (Packing) planks.

Regards

skippy (Paul)