PDA

View Full Version : New member introducing himself - Linto Lakes MN

Dave Carpentier
Mon 05 March 2007, 18:44
Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself.

I am a Software Engineer by profession and also have electronics background.

I'm a CNC hobbyist that has a built a CNC router in 2006. Now I want to upgrade to a more "robust" (and larger) design.

I found this site via the CNCZone forum. In looking at this design for the MechMate, I find that this is what I am looking for. Looks to be a solid design with little flex unlike my present machine.

I had little knowledge of CNC until last year (2006). I've learned alot about this addictive hobby in the past year, but still consider myself a "novice". I look forward to learning more from this site and hopefully start the build for the MechMate this year!

You can view my current CNC router at http://cnc.hobby-site.com/cnc.htm

...Dave

Kim Mortensen
Mon 05 March 2007, 19:01
Welcome Dave...

Looks nice your little router there, and it seems to work very well also...
Hope you settle in nicely inhere.

Once again, welcome.

Gerald_D
Mon 05 March 2007, 21:52
Welcome Dave! Judging from your past experience and website, you are going to be one of the most useful guys here!

Dave Carpentier
Wed 07 March 2007, 04:41
Thanks for the welcome! Now, I don't know how "useful" I'll be to this site, but I'll give it my best. I don't have a lot of metal working skills. This is one area I'll need to work on, specifically welding. I'll need to purchase a welder. Any recommendations for a hobbyist type welder?

Kim Mortensen
Wed 07 March 2007, 06:05
For the Mechmate, I would reccomend a welder that puts out minimum 200Amps of current, some parts are pretty thick and need somewhat more power to weld beautiful.

Gerald_D
Wed 07 March 2007, 06:26
I hate to think that you need to buy a welder to build a MechMate - rather hire one or borrow a friend for a day who owes you a favour. This doesn't feel right that you should learn to weld on this machine, but I suppose you have to start somewhere if you have your mind set on welding. Suggest you go and do a course at a night school first to see if you like it before buying the welder.

Dave Carpentier
Wed 07 March 2007, 07:13
OK, I'll have my brother-in-law do the welding. He has the experience and tools to do the job. I'll just have to provide him some refreshments (i.e. beer) to do the job.

When I was younger I did some welding with a carbon arc torch. I still may purchase a MIG welder & mini-lathe for other projects I have in mind. And yes, night school at the local community college on welding would be helpful. I had already considered that.

One just doesn't have enough tools!